Ping G20 irons -- a Players SGI

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1320802118' post='3777179']
[quote name='Doug the Lefty' timestamp='1320798327' post='3776831']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1320760920' post='3774529']
[quote name='eaf321' timestamp='1320759363' post='3774435']
Great review, makes me want the G20's, gaming G15 5-PW, with the Tour W wedges 50*56*(bent 55*) and 60*. The wedge comments makes me want to get U-S-L in the G20 line.

Is there a Ping WRX grind that could improve the performance of the sand wedge and lob wedge? thanks for the great info.
[/quote]

I ordered the Tour grind for my G15 SW which decreases bounce and flattens the trailing edge. Take a look at the grinds on PING's website and you can order the best grind that's suited for you.

I've found it to be as versatile as my Scratch wedges.....and MUCH more forgiving.

Lastly, as a testament to PING Customer Service...I ordered my custom wedge from Discount Dan's and it arrived around within 2 weeks after I placed the initial order. However, when UPS delivered the box I was pretty beaten down because the ZZ65 shaft was snapped in half (fault is with UPS). So, I called PING and they built a new SW with my exact specs and serial number, then overnighted the club to me via Fed-Ex [u]Saturday[/u] delivery.

Kudos to PING's customer service!!

J
[/quote]

J,
Any chance you could post a pic of the Sand Wedge with Tour Grind compared to one of your other G15's? I'm curious to see how much has been ground off. Also, does it change the swingweight or did Ping adjust to match your non tour grinds?
I'm really considering going this route with the bottom end of my bag...

[/quote]

Sure thing.

You can see the trailing edge on the S wedge ground down in comparison to the U wedge.

It makes the S wedge very versitile around the green because I can open the face up just like I did with my Scratch wedges.

Also, I requested the S wedge to be kept at its original D4 swingweight, and that's what PING delivered.

[attachment=909711:2011-11-08_19-21-51_967.jpg]

J
[/quote]

J,
Thanks for posting.
Couple more questions if you don't mind:
1. If I am reading this correctly on Ping's custom options, the tour grind also takes away some the bounce. If this is accurate, what is the ending degree of bounce?
2. With the success you have had with the S, would you ever consider an alternative grind to the U? If so, same custom grind?
D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Doug the Lefty' timestamp='1320857838' post='3779309']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1320802118' post='3777179']
[quote name='Doug the Lefty' timestamp='1320798327' post='3776831']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1320760920' post='3774529']
[quote name='eaf321' timestamp='1320759363' post='3774435']
Great review, makes me want the G20's, gaming G15 5-PW, with the Tour W wedges 50*56*(bent 55*) and 60*. The wedge comments makes me want to get U-S-L in the G20 line.

Is there a Ping WRX grind that could improve the performance of the sand wedge and lob wedge? thanks for the great info.
[/quote]

I ordered the Tour grind for my G15 SW which decreases bounce and flattens the trailing edge. Take a look at the grinds on PING's website and you can order the best grind that's suited for you.

I've found it to be as versatile as my Scratch wedges.....and MUCH more forgiving.

Lastly, as a testament to PING Customer Service...I ordered my custom wedge from Discount Dan's and it arrived around within 2 weeks after I placed the initial order. However, when UPS delivered the box I was pretty beaten down because the ZZ65 shaft was snapped in half (fault is with UPS). So, I called PING and they built a new SW with my exact specs and serial number, then overnighted the club to me via Fed-Ex [u]Saturday[/u] delivery.

Kudos to PING's customer service!!

J
[/quote]

J,
Any chance you could post a pic of the Sand Wedge with Tour Grind compared to one of your other G15's? I'm curious to see how much has been ground off. Also, does it change the swingweight or did Ping adjust to match your non tour grinds?
I'm really considering going this route with the bottom end of my bag...

[/quote]

Sure thing.

You can see the trailing edge on the S wedge ground down in comparison to the U wedge.

It makes the S wedge very versitile around the green because I can open the face up just like I did with my Scratch wedges.

Also, I requested the S wedge to be kept at its original D4 swingweight, and that's what PING delivered.

[attachment=909711:2011-11-08_19-21-51_967.jpg]

J
[/quote]

J,
Thanks for posting.
Couple more questions if you don't mind:
1. If I am reading this correctly on Ping's custom options, the tour grind also takes away some the bounce. If this is accurate, what is the ending degree of bounce?
2. With the success you have had with the S, would you ever consider an alternative grind to the U? If so, same custom grind?
D
[/quote]

Doug,

Yes the Tour grind takes bounce from the club, but, I'm not certain the exact amount. I'm sure if you called PING they could tell you a more precise answer (probably a range of bounces b/c it's custom ground).

[b]1.800.4.PING.FIT (1.800.474.6434)
Monday-Friday 7:30-4:30pm MST[/b]

I don't want to upset the apple cart at this point, so, I won't be getting the U wedge ground down. There's no compelling reason for me to need to open the face up on the U wedge like I do the S wedge.

J

[quote]

Doug,

Yes the Tour grind takes bounce from the club, but, I'm not certain the exact amount. I'm sure if you called PING they could tell you a more precise answer (probably a range of bounces b/c it's custom ground).

[b]1.800.4.PING.FIT (1.800.474.6434)
Monday-Friday 7:30-4:30pm MST[/b]

I don't want to upset the apple cart at this point, so, I won't be getting the U wedge ground down. There's no compelling reason for me to need to open the face up on the U wedge like I do the S wedge.

J
[/quote]

Thanks again for the info. This certainly has me re-thinking the bottom end of my bag

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1320701592' post='3771827']
[size="3"][b]Some G20 Hybrid images:[/b][/size]
[attachment=908231:CIMG0106.JPG]
[attachment=908229:CIMG0105.JPG]

[b]Which hybrid has a greater tendency to go left, Peanut (left) or Ping G20 ???[/b][attachment=908233:CIMG0109.JPG]

[attachment=908235:CIMG0111.JPG]

[attachment=908237:CIMG0119.JPG][size="3"][b]<---And my new favorite cord grip, Ping's ID8 Cord[/b][/size]

[b]Lot's of cord, lot's of grip...[/b][attachment=908239:CIMG0104.JPG]
[/quote]

Anymore input on those G20 irons?

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

Not trying to damper anyone's enthusiasm, but yesterday I tried then new G20 irons, based on reading this thread. I had difficulty, to say the least. I could probably modify my swing to accommodate them, but why would I want to do that?

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1321223149' post='3796347']
Anymore input on those G20 irons?
[/quote]

Hmm, well this was done with a G20 PW .... :lol:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/pAFNJaBNFrY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/pAFNJaBNFrY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Asleep, can you speak a bit more about the ID8 cord? I want to order some new grips this year. Have experience with the normal ID8's and really like them but thinking of going cord. I like cord grips that you can still feel lots of rubber too since i play gloveless

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Asleep, can you speak a bit more about the ID8 cord? I want to order some new grips this year. Have experience with the normal ID8's and really like them but thinking of going cord. I like cord grips that you can still feel lots of rubber too since i play gloveless

Well, in my experience many of the traditional corded grips from 10 years ago have become smoother & "slippery-er" today. I think mostly because there is less cord roughness exposed in between the rubber. So you can look a cord grip and see a lot of "white" showing through the color ... giving the impression that it's very grippy when in actuality, in play, it's not. That's why I switched to the New Decade Multi-Compounds -- they provided me with better grip that today's corded grips do.

The ID8 allows the cord to be rough at the surface, instead of what I can best describe as polished in other grips. Actually although I think the ID8 probably has less cord (total length/amount) inside each grip, the cord that's there is better utilized for traction.

But the real secret is the combination of rough cord pieces and dog bones. Yep, dog bones.

Those cut-outs in the rubber that look like dog bones look as though they've been punched out with a cookie cutter. So the edges are "sharp" like a spinny wedge groove. This gives you added good grip but doesn't cut up you hands because those dog bone edges are rubber ... they have some give. Bottom line: they work.

That's my emot-airquote.gif highly technical take on it, anyway. ruff :lol:

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='mx2023' timestamp='1321229525' post='3796745']
Like the dogbone grip but the New Chinese made G20,s are fat like my old dog. I'll keep my old i5's made in America.
[/quote]

cool story bro

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='SteveL1' timestamp='1321242980' post='3797661']
So what would a guy who has played PING ISI-K's for the past 15+ years find hitting the G20s?[/quote]
Longer, little lower launch, lower spin, more forgiving.

And as Ralph Maltby puts it, [i][b] I can guarantee that you will play better with the G- irons vs. the ISI-K irons you are currently playing. The thing you should notice the most is how many fewer poor feeling shots you hit[/b].[/i]

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1320081820' post='3742309']
[quote name='beruo' timestamp='1319764053' post='3729253']... when you're playing out of the sand, is yours the light, fluffy, tour variety, or the hard-packed, cement-style muni-type?[/quote]
I've tried the Lob Wedge is all types of sand, including synthetic, but most of my time has been with the bigger grained, heavy/moist type that is typical down here. Like I said above, it's a great easy out wedge. I've only had trouble hitting a higher/softer bunker shot.

[quote name='beruo' timestamp='1319764053' post='3729253'][b]Also--how do you find the lob wedge out of deeper rough, especially green side?[/quote]
Surprisingly [to me], brilliant. Gets through the grass nicely, high on the face misses still give good results. [/b]

[quote name='nomore3putts' timestamp='1319900676' post='3735253']...it got me thinking.[/quote]
Yep, and that's the thing. I don't think I put 3 good swings on the G20s Friday and still managed an 81 in high winds.
[/quote]

regarding the play out of deeper rough: is this due to the 12* of bounce? how do you think it would play with less bounce (10*) ? or does bounce not have much effect out of deeper rough? is there any WRX grind on your lob?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='eaf321' timestamp='1321807549' post='3826875']regarding the play out of deeper rough: is this due to the 12* of bounce? how do you think it would play with less bounce (10*) ? or does bounce not have much effect out of deeper rough? is there any WRX grind on your lob?[/quote]
I don't think it's bounce as much as club design. The 58* L-Wedge is just darn hard to miss out of any kind of grass around the green.

As for bunkers, you'll need a traditional wedge to hit a short high soft shot when short-sided. The G20 Lob Wedge is more of an easy-out wedge that performs better only marginally opened at address ... emphasis on easy out.

I've hit some of my best ever long bunker shots -- 20-30 yards -- with the G20 Sand Wedge. Six inches from the lip, 20 yard carry to a ridge then downhill to the pin the ball checked up nicely for a birdie putt on a par 5.

Had some difficulty getting balls up quickly enough over a tree into the green from an errant drive. May be technique, may even be wrong club ... not sure yet.

Wet & cold, the G20s are good winter/mudder irons. Wish I had the 3-iron, though, as I'm still deficient with [i]any[/i] hybrid. :black eye::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm asked to rate the G20 irons using a 5 star scale on different performance categories --- and frankly I think that confuses more than it helps. I think my title speaks to this as I find the G20s to be a "players SGI" iron.

My specific quoties.gif ratings are in the text and it's worth your while to read back if you're considering these.

Overall, compared against all irons I give the G20s high praise with 4 stars:

green_star.gifgreen_star.gifgreen_star.gifgreen_star.gif

Category specific, in game improvement or super game improvement irons the G20s earn 5 stars as I've seen nothing that betters them:

green_star.gifgreen_star.gifgreen_star.gifgreen_star.gifgreen_star.gif

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1324754393' post='3983999']
Asleep, if you had a choice between the G-20s and the Burner 2.0's, or RBZ's, would you still go with the G-20's?
[/quote]
I have not hit the Rocketballz irons, but I'm disinclined to adopt the stronger and stronger lofts formula. 17* 3-iron... :rolleyes:

I had significant distance variability with the Burner 2.0 short irons, and that costs me strokes. Sold them.

The G20s are the easy choice here. The fact that even PGA Tour players play them just reinforces that.

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1324765040' post='3984369']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1324754393' post='3983999']
Asleep, if you had a choice between the G-20s and the Burner 2.0's, or RBZ's, would you still go with the G-20's?
[/quote]
I have not hit the Rocketballz irons, but I'm disinclined to adopt the stronger and stronger lofts formula. 17* 3-iron... :rolleyes:

I had significant distance variability with the Burner 2.0 short irons, and that costs me strokes. Sold them.

The G20s are the easy choice here. The fact that even PGA Tour players play them just reinforces that.
[/quote]
Asleep, I've had the same problems with the Burner 2.0's...distance variability. Thank you for your response.

I have to agree with the OP....I recently bought a whole bag full of the PING G20s and I LOVE THEM!!! The driver is outstanding, the FW is forgiving, the hybrid 20deg is an arrow launcher. I have had an issue with long irons for as long as I've been playing the game...not any more. The 4,5,6 are the easiest irons I've ever hit. 7-PW seem to find the greens nicely from 150 and in. The UW is a great chipper and punch and run club from around the green. The SW is great around the green and the LW is very easy to get out of the sand. The LW is surprisingly versatile. I didn't get a grind put on it. I've improved my score by a whopping 5-7 swings per 9 holes (My home course is a 27 hole...sometimes I grab 9, sometimes I trek 27!!!)

PING G400 Max 10.5 Tour 65 s
PING G400 SFT 16 3 Wood Tour 75 s
PING G400 19 3 Hybrid Tour 85 s
PING I210 4-P KBS Tour C-Taper Lite s
PING Glide 2.0 50(ss) 54(es) 60(es) AWT Wedge
PING Vault 2.0 B60

• 1 month later...

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1325010286' post='3992869']
I have some G5's with Black Golds, would there be a big benefit from changing to G20's?
[/quote]So sorry for the long delay, my subscription to the topic was deleted. :ninja:

Yes, these's a lot of new tech in the G15/G20 irons.

From Black Golds I'd think you'd like the C-Taper shaft feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this review and thread.

I've been playing the Rapture V2 irons down to the SW while also carrying Callaway X-forged 56 and 60 wedges for around the green and bunkers. I've emailed Ping to order a matching V2 LW and I've picked up a Tour-W 60 to bag for those tight pins and high flops. All last season I thought about pulling out the V2 SW and just sticking with the Cally wedges but on full shots there is just NO comparison for a high capper like me (80-90 shooter). The Ping would fly about 80 yards and come straight down and stop... As much as I wanted to play my forged wedges there is no denying the effectiveness of the V2 on full shots!

Articles like this, and the favourable reviews of many, push me forward into expanding into the LW.... can't wait.

As far as hybrids and woods go I've moved into the K15 line.... top notch!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

• 3 weeks later...

Unexpected update on the G20s here, as I took a golf day yesterday.

Played with my buddy Bill out at Memorial Park yesterday. Have not been able to play much, so I took off work to get an extra golf day in in the great weather.

Bill is 72, drives it 270 yards when he hits the sweetspot, and a great guy. I've been trying to get him out of the difficult i10 irons and into some G20s. There's a Ping fitting center at Memo, and I talk Bill into finally ordering the G20s yesterday.

So they guy gives us a Blue dot 7-iron spec'd for Bill in Ping's 169I graphite shaft in regular flex to try. BIll hits one after another high and straight-straight -- fats, thins all good results. He gets tired, and I've seen enough to know this setup fits him to a "t". So he tells me to hit it.

Now I've never hit a graphite iron shaft I liked. All were either spinny, soft, super harsh, light, or some combination of these. Not my cuppa tea, until...

I swing the 7-iron/169I and the feel is like buttah! 50px-Butter-icon.png

I mean, this is a great feeling combination! Addictive. I'm getting good carry/distance, albeit downwind, and the height isn't an issue. I gotta say, if you're even close to considering graphite -- even if you're not -- take a minute and try the G20s with Ping's 169I graphite shaft. You may fall in love with the feel and performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review. I sold my Ap1 irons and bought the G20's. I am now hitting the ball 10 yards longer with the irons and more accurate. I'm even hitting the 4 iron for the first time in a long time. G20's are very easy to hit high and long. Can't recommend them enough. I had to adjust a little to the SW, GW, and LW. These irons will bring down my handicap for sure. I'm hitting more greens in regulation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did not stick with the [b][color="#FF0000"]G[/color]20[/b] irons (owned them earlier this year) as I got swayed again by a shinny set of player irons and an old fashion traditional coach who thinks a blade like iron is the only thing anyone should play (he still plays MP-32 irons with lead tape all over them) and so I ended up going to the MP-59 irons. Great irons and beautiful...and if I had the time to spend grooving a swing that works well for them I would consider keeping them...BUT reality steps in and I have another profession (dang it...bang on desk!) and I am actually working a ton of hours lately due to a huge project that is going to last at least until the end of this year (significantly cuts into my practice time)...[b]SO[/b] long story short I am going to go back to [b][color="#FF0000"]G[/color]20[/b] irons (KBS Tour, stiff) and get back to what I do naturally and play my fade swing (which by the way I shot my lowest score ever (74) with my fade swing)...I will be ordering 3-UW and am actually considering going to the LW (due to this post) and get the Tour grind on it so I can use it all around the green...wish me luck!

:smilie_ping: [size="4"][b][color="#FF0000"]G[/color]20[/b][/size]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

Had a request from a member for a full length picture of the G20 irons with the C-Taper shafts...

[attachment=1125690:DSC00497a.JPG] [i][b]5, 7, 9 irons[/b][/i]

I'll get another installment up in the next few weeks -- have had my hands full with other reviews.

Well I just received my R11 irons earlier this week. I was happy with them until today. Ping had a demo day at our club. I got there late in the afternoon and on a lark I tried the G20 irons. I grabbed a 7 iron, first swing and it sored right to the green I was aiming at. I felt like I could do this all afternoon it was so easy to swing and launched the ball high with good spin. I then tried the i20 and it didn't seem too much different except they only had it in a stiff. So I hit the stiff just as well as the others. They (new Ping irons) do get progressively harder to hit and the forged ones were nice but I keep thinking why should I make this game any harder than it is? I ended hitting all their irons and put all on the green. Then I got out my R11 and hit it on the green also. The G20 were just so easy to hit I began questioning my R11s. Why should I play a less GI iron when I know I would be way more consistent with the G20s vs the R11s?

My 'pride' or testosterone is not an issue with the equipment I use. I care much more about the score and how well I hit the ball. I am going to get a set and sell one of the three I will have when they arrive and I play them on the course. .

This was a excellent review and I thank you and all the good replies. If a tour player can uses these I guess I can also. LOL At 65 I would enjoy easier irons to hit.

As the younger guys say, these are stupid easy to hit.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Great review, I've been gaming the i5 4-PW for the past 4 years. I've been Eyeing the I 20 irons the past few weeks but after a hard working round today and lack of chances I am thinking the G20 irons might be easier to hit and make the ga,e more fun. This review has me thinking. As a 15 handicap playing at least every couple will the G20 be the better choice for the man with 3 kids under 8 to restore fun I the game??????