2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Anser Wedges : Hot off the press!

First thanks to GolfWRX and Ping for the chance to test these outstanding wedges! I was given the 54* and 60* to test with the shaft of my choice, the DG S400. This is the same shaft I play in all my wedges.

Pro's

The satin finish and headshape of these ansers are perfect. The attention to detail is very noticeable when looking at the preciseness of the face milling. These things out of the sand are almost automatic with just the right amount of bounce and a fairly wide sole. On a full shot, they are incredibly forgiving and launch the ball high....very high even with the S400 shaft.

Con's

While I love the head shape I could have used a more narrow sole. I tend to be a picker and with the 54* I was not catching it as crisp as I like on chips. I have always liked to be to flight my wedges and these things tend to do one thing, get the ball up high. I can see mid and high handicappers loving these.

Bottom Line

Ping has managed to make an outstanding Forged wedge with game improvement qualities. Very versatile wedges that flat out perform. In regard to spin, I would say these are similar to other conforming wedges....I wasn't catching my chips real crisp because of the bounce/sole design but I would imagine someone with has a normal or digger approach would spin these like a top.

Big Review

Per Ping, these wedges are Forged out of a soft 8620 steel, a thicker hitting area and hour-glass-shaped reinforced back cavity to provide solid feel and feedback. A machined face and grooves ensure maximum spin and control. A high-density tungsten toe weight is balanced by a longer hosel to optimize the CG position for penetrating, high-spin trajectories. The Anser wedges have a thicker face in the impact area and a stabilizing bar that will bring consistency to your shot making. Control also comes from minimizing face fluctuation.

Look

Hands down, the best looking wedge on the market. The satin finish and plain cavity back design make these look simple eloquent. I actually had a starter at the golf course a couple weeks ago come over and grab one out of my bag and said "what are these, man they look nice". This is important for me because if I don't like the way a club looks I'll never have any confidence which is a deal breaker. The head is a tear drop designed head very similar to a Vokey. Out of the bunkers on a real sunny day I didn't get any glare. In regard to offset, it barely exists on these wedges. The 54* has 0.02" offset while the 60* has 0.00".

Performance / Playability

Performance is really all that matters and these flat our perform. Again, I tend to pick a picker and these wedges have a wider sole and more bounce than I'm used to playing. Having said that, for full shots and bunker shots these things were automatic. The 54* has 12* of bounce while the 60* has 10*. Ping doesn't offer custom grinds on the Anser series. On tight chips I wasn't getting any "skipping" of the wedge I just wasn't making crisp contact. Out of the sand this worked to my advantage and opened my eyes to the idea of playing a 54* with a little more bounce and wider sole. Again, spin was on par with other conforming wedges. Also, if you have problem getting the ball up in the air, this is your wedge. Even with the DG S400's, the ball flight was high.....not ballooning....but high. I would imagine this is why we don't see more of these in the pro's bags. Extremely forgiving on hits all of the face.

Feel

I'm currently playing Mizuno MPT10 wedges, and the Ansers feel as soft as the Mizuno's.........a statement that I thought I would never make. These were pretty limited in regard to feedback, again designed to be forgiving with great feel......the holy grail for the midcapper. These felt like a soft S56 to me and I've always thought the S56's were the softest cast iron I've ever played. I would love to see Ping come out with some more bounce/grind options and the rustique finish. Hopefully this is just the first of many Ping Forged Products as they are outstanding.

Overall Bottom Line

Put these in the bag along with the Anser Irons and I think you would have everybody covered from a 10 - 30 handicap. If you are looking for a wedge that offers the playability and feel of a muscleback wedge along with the forgiveness of a cavity back wedge, look no further. Out of the sand these might have been the easiest wedges I've ever used.......literally every shot came out just right with a moderate amount of spin. These truly are the best money can buy in terms of the combination of feel, looks, performance and forgiveness. Great job Ping!

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the solution to the bounce would be to bend the wedges stronger to elimnate some bounce ( hunter did this with 56 bent to 53). With that being said i would like to see ping over a 62 or 64* option then you could get a 60 with less bounce.. for me i am a digger and their bounce config is perfect.. getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of 50 56 ( bent to 55) and a 60* with spinner shafts.

A lot of room for for personal feedback on "hands down, best looking:"... but guess that is personal opinion..... I know of a few I would think better looking.

Love Ping drivers and such and have since the I2 irons many moons ago (20+ years I suppose - still got em somewhere), but wedges have never done anything for me, and irons since the I-2's either... Think they have something GOOD with drivers and fairway (think Bubba)....

May have missed it.... did you get conforming, or non? As someone else mentioned, you say only for 10+ handicaps.... why? If performance is key, would that not be same for even low handicappers or why do you feel only for mid-high.? Just curious... love to get more feedback.... I am a short game "guy" that loves to get any feedback and info I can.... Is it not a performance club, but more of a game enhancing??

Nice review. Wish I hadn't read it as these are going to lighten my wallet. Have been wanting some forged wedges to go with my JPX 800 Pros but was afraid the forged offerings out there (in particular the mizuno mp-T line) would be too penal on my mishits as a mid-high teens cap. These look like a perfect fit.

My comment in regard to low cappers not gravitating to these has to do with the flight.
I tried to hit a knock down and I got the same result, high and straight.....and that's with a pretty low launch shaft, the DGS400. Most of this I believe has to with the cg location and sole design. Most low cappers want to be able to control the "flight" of their wedges. High and straight is good for most though.

These are the conforming grooves so out of the rough it just depends on the lie. Typical result from normal rough was one bounce and about 10 feet of rollout. With my non conforming vokeys it's one hop and stop from the rough. From the a clean lie the conforming grooves in the Anser's spin moderately.... But I blame that on making more solid contact with sole design of the 60.04 vokey which spin more even with conforming grooves. From the fairway there isn't much difference in spin between conforming and non conforming except conforming requires a very pure strike while the non conforming will spin regardless.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='drivethepar4' timestamp='1321239450' post='3797431']
A lot of room for for personal feedback on "hands down, best looking:"... but guess that is personal opinion..... I know of a few I would think better looking.

Love Ping drivers and such and have since the I2 irons many moons ago (20+ years I suppose - still got em somewhere), but wedges have never done anything for me, and irons since the I-2's either... Think they have something GOOD with drivers and fairway (think Bubba)....

May have missed it.... did you get conforming, or non? As someone else mentioned, you say only for 10+ handicaps.... why? If performance is key, would that not be same for even low handicappers or why do you feel only for mid-high.? Just curious... love to get more feedback.... I am a short game "guy" that loves to get any feedback and info I can.... Is it not a performance club, but more of a game enhancing??
[/quote]
I would consider them a decent blend of performance club/ game enhancing with a slight tilt toward game enhancing. I would say they same thing about the anser irons as well.

The thing in regard to looks that I thought stood out so much was the cavity.... Simple yet eloquent.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='mdb0103' timestamp='1321236073' post='3797183']
I would love to be the guy that gets to demo stuff haha. I want these wedges BAD, but the bounce just doesn't fit my game. The gap and sand would be okay, but the lob wedge has too much bounce. Great review, if they come out with a TS model or even grind options, I will be picking these up.
[/quote]

I agree.....a T/S grind model is needed at least in the 60*.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Thanks for the follow up... good to hear... very good write up!

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1321242451' post='3797637']

[/quote]
I would consider them a decent blend of performance club/ game enhancing with a slight tilt toward game enhancing. I would say they same thing about the anser irons as well.

The thing in regard to looks that I thought stood out so much was the cavity.... Simple yet eloquent.
[/quote]

Great review, but mostly I want two clubs for the price they are charging for one of these. I hate the trend in golf these days with sky rocket pricing....this past summer I found scratch wedges at a big box store in Myrtle on closeout for 69 bucks...and they had a dozen or more to choose from.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1321246606' post='3797795']
Great review, but mostly I want two clubs for the price they are charging for one of these. I hate the trend in golf these days with sky rocket pricing....this past summer I found scratch wedges at a big box store in Myrtle on closeout for 69 bucks...and they had a dozen or more to choose from.
[/quote]

The Anser forged wedge is a niche wedge and I would guess its more of a custom order type of deal like most PING products. They don't want you walking into a store and purchasing a closeout product well below their MAP. They are not targeting value customers with this line of wedges.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Love the review, Jones! I certainly agree with you on the grind part and not having lower bounce on the lob, as well as the high flight. I like to flight wedges, and that's why I still play Vokeys. I did a review on the Anser Milled putter, and certainly agree with the comments on the finish - simple and elegant, as well as stylish!

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I was hoping you were going to say their grooves were better than vokey. Sounds like the grooves are not game changers. Would you consider them a letdown considering the price? these are their first year, I am sure they will improve on them.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I have gamed these wdges all season (52,56 & 60 all bent 2* strong) and I am liking them more each time I go out! I may be in the minority but I can spin the ball out of the rough just fine. Taking 2* of bounce off across the board has made them better for me. The 60 is an amazing sand club and fares well off the grass also. I would disagree in the statement that these wdges are only good for 10-30 hdcp players. I find I can play many different shots and control ball flight realatively well. As with all clubs for me, I need to get quite a few swings in with them to realize their full potential or shortcomings. Fwiw, I am playing to a 5.2. Just my .02

I have been playing the 52,56 and 60 with DG spinner shaft and I am loving every aspect of them...I had picked up a Mizuno MP T-11(hated it) in the spring to go with my vokeys and gave them all away to a buddy after having the Ansers in play for a week...I have to disagree with the flighting comment as I have had no issues flighting these what so ever and I can hit what ever shot is called for with these wedges...I will agree with the sand play comment the 56 or 60 is automatic out of the sand...I currently play to a 3 index so I absolutely disagree with them being for 10 or higher players, but I guess like anything you need to try for yourself to see if they are for you...I have also noticed no loss in spin going from either the Vokey or MP T-11.

Cheers,

Scott

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

[/quote]

This just in they don't make non conforming grooves anymore your only 2 years late

I got the 60 and 54 degree Anser wedges recently. They really are beautiful clubs. I ordered them one degree strong to reduce the bounce a bit. The 60 has the DG Spinner shaft and the 54 has Ping's new CFS. I experimented with these chipping around the practice green. They provide plenty of spin and feel great at impact. Unfortunately the sole grind/bounce angle was not for me. I like to lay my wedges wide open for most shots around the green and unfortunately these do not compliment my technique. I'm sure that many players will love this design though as technique and taste is so individualistic. Mine are presently on the BST for anyone interested.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I wonder if the dg spinner shafts launch lower or higher than the S400's. I couldn't flight it low with the S400's.

I wouldn't say these wouldn't work for the low capper I just think more mid and high cappers will gravitate to these for their forgiveness.

Does anybody know if any pro's are bagging these?

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1321247372' post='3797829']
[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1321246606' post='3797795']
[/quote]

The Anser forged wedge is a niche wedge and I would guess its more of a custom order type of deal like most PING products. They don't want you walking into a store and purchasing a closeout product well below their MAP. They are not targeting value customers with this line of wedges.
[/quote]
I understand this entirely. However, sitting down at the drawing board and introducing a forged product at $169 price point does not make much sense for my game. If it is aimed at higher hdcp players, then fitting is a good selling tool but the price would restrict sales IMO. My last two lob wedge models were both forged and cast and both were great for my game. My current vokey was a "last season" model that I bought new on sale at GS for $79. It has been a great club for me and good for my budget. I just don't like where the market is going with pricing structure as a whole. Yes, I understand the economic impact....but made in China stirs the pot.

I will also add that most higher hdcp players I'm around have not the slightest clue how to chip and pitch around greens, and most carry a chipper...never use the wedge from fwy, and basically waste a spot in their bag for something more useful.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='bogeypro' timestamp='1321295697' post='3799471']
I was hoping you were going to say their grooves were better than vokey. Sounds like the grooves are not game changers. Would you consider them a letdown considering the price? these are their first year, I am sure they will improve on them.
[/quote]

The OP said he was more of a picker and I think uses a 60.04 Vokey. The sole on the Anser may have slightly changed his impact so while it may not have been great for him, it could be perfect for someone else.

I have been playing around with a Anser 60 and I think they are fantastic. I prefer them over the Vokey cc by a huge margin and I played Vokey's for 10 seasons before that. I am a low launch high spin player and play a lot of low checkers. The cc Vokeys don't spin as much and don't seem to grab the ball at impact near as well as the Anser. Spin between the Anser and the Vokey is not even close in my experience. I play to a +3 and think that these are a great fit for anyone with a steep angle of attack, whether low or high handicap. I just ordered a 52,56, and another 60 from my Ping rep. I had never played a Ping club until this season and now 11 of the clubs in my bag are Ping. Imo they are making the best clubs on the market.

I just got mine in a 52* & 58* red dot with DG Spinners. Excellent distant control. The best looking wedges out there as for the feel, well no need to go looking or trying anything else now that I have these

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip