What are YOU doing to improve your putting?

danattherock

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice mat.. I am miserable inside 10 feet because I don't have a dedicated routine and stroke. I hope banging out all of these short putts helps

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

• 3 weeks later...

I just took some of the motions I use in conducting musical ensembles and transferred them to putting. Made things a lot easier, and can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't do it earlier.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='weissew' timestamp='1326555167' post='4083137']
my pro has challanged me to hit 10,000 putts this winter. (100 a day for 100 days)

Bought a birdieball 9x4 for the basement. Right now I'm about 4000 putts in. Ive already seen a difference on the course.
[/quote]

this is the answer. and none of them more than 15 feet. ever.

[quote name='bell812' timestamp='1328295183' post='4206507']
Dan, thanks for starting this thread. Been using the two pistoleros grip for a couple of weeks now since seeing it in this thread, and it's made a huge difference in my stroke.
[/quote]

Glad you like it. I introduced it to a buddy I play with and he too has improved considerably.

It is a very good putting grip. I found it by accident with experimentation for the most part.

Then learned that Geoff had talked about it and named it. I tweaked mine a bit after seeing that.

Two BIG things to consider, a flat left wrist and very light grip pressure. Those things made this grip come alive.

Too much tension and I felt like I was steering the putter head. Too much wrist action and I lost distance control.

The way we grip a putter, while vastly different from one another and such, is a huge factor.

It amazes me how much of a difference it made.

-Dan

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1328303050' post='4207405']
[quote name='bell812' timestamp='1328295183' post='4206507']
Dan, thanks for starting this thread. Been using the two pistoleros grip for a couple of weeks now since seeing it in this thread, and it's made a huge difference in my stroke.
[/quote]

Glad you like it. I introduced it to a buddy I play with and he too has improved considerably.

It is a very good putting grip. I found it by accident with experimentation for the most part.

Then learned that Geoff had talked about it and named it. I tweaked mine a bit after seeing that.

Two BIG things to consider, a flat left wrist and very light grip pressure. Those things made this grip come alive.

Too much tension and I felt like I was steering the putter head. Too much wrist action and I lost distance control.

The way we grip a putter, while vastly different from one another and such, is a huge factor.

It amazes me how much of a difference it made.

-Dan
[/quote]

I'm 6 rounds with it, and averaging 28.8 putts. My usual average is 31.2. Now that right there is a game changer. It is literally like I turned into a good putter over night!

You should read putting out of your mind by bob rotella it's a great read and helps you understand the mental process of putting. As you can tell by touring players many different techniques work and when push comes to shove confidence and the right mindset when stepping over a putt is what really makes the difference. I hold a plus three handicap and prior to my reading the book I platued at a one handicap. Would is say just by reading the book it allowed me to drop 4 shots on my handicap? Probably not! It took a summer of hard hard practice spending countless hours a day on the putting green knocking in 4-12 footers greatly increased my confidence on the course. The catch here is you have to continuously practice or you will lose the confidence. Naturally when stepping over a putt you thnk of what? Prob saying to yourself don't miss this or I hope I'm playing enough break, or I have to make this putt. When in reality all you should be thinking about is your target THE HOLE! Try this

I went broomstick, properly fit (which is huge), and stopped ho'ing, and practicing.

Putting better then ever, which is respectable, and realistically what I could have hoped for.

Had to check the ego, which was huge.

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck

Post a picture of the grip if you can.

173978.image1.jpg

Back around 2000ish I picked up Tiger's How I Play Golf book and misread his putting grip explanation. I copied it but had my right pinky finger over my left index finger instead of the other way around (pic^). By the time I had noticed the difference I had already gotten used to it. Sloppy putting from 10' and in cost me some really low rounds last year (including what should have been a personal best) so I thought I'd give this a try. So far (basement only mind you) results are great, it's just a matter of feeling comfortable with it.I've always had issues holding off on my follow through rather than letting the toe release. This seems be be helping.

[quote name='danattherock' timestamp='1326678154' post='4090685']
No kidding man. I bet I have had 20 grips put on in the last 5-6 years. Granted, they are going on 6-7 putters, but still, that is a lot of grips. About $5-6 a pop for installation, it would be a good time to start gripping my own I suspect. It still amazes me how much of a difference the right grip can make on a putter. It is a huge variable.
-Dan
[/quote]

Gripping is the easiest thing to do yourself. Especially with a few simple tools... you'd be surprised the grips you can save that the shops tell you can't. The pain is doing mid and long grips!

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1326660000' post='4089161']
Get yourself one of those metal yard sticks. Make sure it has a hole at the end. Lay it on the floor. While you're lounging around watching golf or a game (or whatever it is you watch)...put the ball on the hole in the yardstick and try to roll putts all the way down the stick so it goes straight off the end and not the sides. I also put one of those automatic ball returns a few feet past the stick so it shoots the ball back to me.
[/quote]

This. Great for grooving a repetitive stroke, cheap, immediate feedback and can be done almost anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool thread. I have been practicing a lot on my putting mat this winter so hopefully I see some good results when I try and bring it to the course.

I do at least 100 a day and try to end it on 20 in a row from 3 feet and 4 in a row from 6 feet. Does anyone know of some good tempo programs or songs I could download on my iphone? Awesome thread btw!

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1326532398' post='4082497']
Missed 7 putts inside 5 feet today and 3 putted 3 times (36 holes). So short putting and long putting is going to get a workout. Who cares about the birdie putts when I can't make the par ones! :angry:
[/quote]
Sadly, this sounds like my putting game as well. I missed 5 putts two rounds ago that were probably no more than 3.5 to 4 feet each. UGH. I spend very little time on my putting practice and it shows.

Taylormade M1 10.5* with Diamana Whiteboard S 70g shaft
Titleist 917 D2 3 wood with a Diamana 70 5ct S shaft
Ping Anser 20* hybrid,
Ping Anser 23* hybrid,
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW with KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts
50*, 54* & 60* Titleist SM6 wedges
Byron Morgan DH89 SS with Super Stroke 1.0 grip

Got a "Boomerang" putting trainer. [url="http://www.boomgolf.com/"]http://www.boomgolf.com/[/url] along with the mat that comes with it, stimps at 11-12. It has made a massive difference with my overall putting. Making more putts from inside 15ft than ever before, lagging long putts closer therefore Ive had a handful of three putts since using the trainer. It gets used nearly every day in the lounge room.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

Dana thanks for starting this thread..

Here are the four things I have been doing to improve my putting and prepare for the World Golf Hall of Fame Putting Tournament in March, which I won last year.

1. Green Reading. I have taken two Aimpoint Classes, and now have been assisting in teaching them. I also took an on course lesson from an Aimpoint Certified Instructor so we could match our approaches and reads. NO matter how good the Stroke, the Aim or the Distance Control, if you can not read the greens... you have an area for improvement.

2. Practice. Right now I am practicing putting more than 3 hours a day... focusing on both Short Putts (up to 6 feet) and Longer Putts (25-50 feet). The drills I have assembled and use put pressure on every putt.. and since there are several to select from I do not get bored!! Rather challenged.

3. Competitions and Assessments. I am lucky to me a member of a golf club that has two LPGA players, a former PGA tour player, a few mini-tour players, and good high school and college golfers. So I am often getting into putting matches with them. This coming week I will be playing against a few guys who are regulars on the Asian Tour... they are at the club for four weeks of intensive practice. When not competing on the putting green, I have 10 different assessments I can do to test whether I am improving. I have data on these assessments over the last two years... I try to do them at least once a month to spot weakneses and develop plans for improvement.

4. Rhythm. I continually work on having a consistent rhythm for all my putts. Using a Metronome that I can attach to either my cap or my collar is a nice training aid.

This might seem like a lot for some... rather working this hard has built my confidence and competitiveness.

OKAY... now off to watching some TV! OR maybe back to putting off the end of that Yellow Metal Yardstick on the floor in my family room... I could get in 50 reps before it is time to sleep. LOL!!!

[quote name='Juan73' timestamp='1329702976' post='4327805']
Dana thanks for starting this thread..

Here are the four things I have been doing to improve my putting and prepare for the World Golf Hall of Fame Putting Tournament in March, which I won last year.

[b][size="3"]1. Green Reading. I have taken two Aimpoint Classes, and now have been assisting in teaching them. I also took an on course lesson from an Aimpoint Certified Instructor so we could match our approaches and reads. NO matter how good the Stroke, the Aim or the Distance Control, if you can not read the greens... you have an area for improvement.
[/size][/b]
2. Practice. Right now I am practicing putting more than 3 hours a day... focusing on both Short Putts (up to 6 feet) and Longer Putts (25-50 feet). The drills I have assembled and use put pressure on every putt.. and since there are several to select from I do not get bored!! Rather challenged.

3. Competitions and Assessments. I am lucky to me a member of a golf club that has two LPGA players, a former PGA tour player, a few mini-tour players, and good high school and college golfers. So I am often getting into putting matches with them. This coming week I will be playing against a few guys who are regulars on the Asian Tour... they are at the club for four weeks of intensive practice. When not competing on the putting green, I have 10 different assessments I can do to test whether I am improving. I have data on these assessments over the last two years... I try to do them at least once a month to spot weakneses and develop plans for improvement.

4. Rhythm. I continually work on having a consistent rhythm for all my putts. Using a Metronome that I can attach to either my cap or my collar is a nice training aid.

This might seem like a lot for some... rather working this hard has built my confidence and competitiveness.

OKAY... now off to watching some TV! OR maybe back to putting off the end of that Yellow Metal Yardstick on the floor in my family room... I could get in 50 reps before it is time to sleep. LOL!!!
[/quote]

I am hearing more and more about Aimpoint, but not very familiar with what it is exactly.

David Orr, great teacher in my area is an Aimpoint guy if I recall. Might have to go back and spend another day with him.

-Dan