What are YOU doing to improve your putting?

danattherock

I keep trying new putters. It has to be the Arrow and not the Indian...right...LOL

We both know you are wrong, but it feels sooooo rightcheesy.gif

Which reminds me, I don't have a MACHINE putter in my collection. Hmmm....

As I continue to add to my modest collection of putters, I am hoping to learn more about using them properly.

Truly an art form when done properly.

-Dan

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using a laser level behind the ball to make sure I get it started on line. Mess with grip and ball position until you repeat. Keep hitting about 50 putts per night. Works best from about 10 to 12 ft.

Ping Hoofer bag
Ping I20 10.5 Driver with Projext X Black 6.0 shaft
Callaway Mini 1.5 14* Speeder Stiff
Ping G5 5 wood with Pro Launch Blue stiff shaft
Adams V4 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-S - DG PRO stiff
58 Callaway Mack Daddy 3
Scotty Cameron California Monterey putter 34"
Pro V1x

What a great post Danattherock. Putting is such a huge part of the game.

I bought a new putter in the fall, Ping Anser Milled 5 with the help of the Ping app to help get the proper fit. Now I am practicing indoors, as others have mentioned, just making a lot of strokes from different distances on several surfaces. I have not changed my stroke or method of putting. I am also going to take some time with the remainder of the winter to learn more about different types of grasses and the way greens are structured, just to sort of rethink some things maybe I hadn't thought of before about what can affect my putts as I approach them this year. You know, just better ways of reading my putts than I have before.

What am I doing? Resisting trade offers that include putters and sticking to my baby.

I found the length, lie, and style putter that works for me and you need to pry it from my cold dead hands. For now, I'll keep working on routine, setup and getting the speed right.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I started using a putting mirror from eyeline with the gate drill. I've also been doing a lot more pressure putting. 4 balls spread out 3-12 feet. make is -1, two putt E and 3 putt, +1. Goal is to shoot under par. I have also done a lot of up and down drills where i will chip 3-5 balls to a hole and try to get up and down. I'm getting more of the feeling like i'm on the course. good luck to all this season. here is to a LOT OF 1 PUTTS

at night after work and dinner, i work on my stroke for 5-10 ft putts. mostly working on posture, and anchoring my elbows and moving my triangle smoothly. the big part is the initial takeaway, where i originate the vast majority of my putting problems...posture for me is key to good putting. with a new carbon putter, I am still working on the distance consistency of my strikes...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I started playing golf competitively for high school about 2.5 to 3 years ago. I used to putt by taking back the putter square (not opening it) and bringing it through the "hitting zone" square. I was a good lag putter but I struggled with the 5 to 8 foot putts. I also tended to struggle with lining up my putts where I wanted to. I did two things this offseason that has really helped my putting a ton and has really improved it. 1. I changed to the putting method of opening up the club face on the way back and bringing it through the hitting zone and then finishing with the face closed. I feel like I roll a lot more putts straighter by using this method because it feels more "natural" to me because it feels more like the golf swing. Just a personal preference. 2. I will stand behind my ball and figure out the line and pick a point to aim at. I then walk up next to the ball without setting my feet, line up the line of my putter with the point where I want to aim at. Then while looking at the point where I want to aim at, I set my feet. I do not look at the ball or at the ground or at my club when lining up my feet. This is actually a big tip I picked up from Johnny Miller. You can use it not only on putting but on full shots also. Look at where you want to aim and not at the ball or the ground when lining up your feet. These are 2 huge things I changed to improve my putting tremendously.

The best thing I ever did for my putting was to set up with my eyes well inside the ball/target line. I mean almost like I'm setting up for a driver or something; I'm pretty far away from the ball. But I see the line so much better when I set up like this as opposed to eyes over the ball, that it isn't even close. I also alternate between putting on my carpet and the linoleum kitchen floor to work on my speed.

[quote name='Cicero' timestamp='1330145046' post='4371955']
The best thing I ever did for my putting was to set up with my eyes well inside the ball/target line. [/quote]

I am now do the same thing; switched about a month and a half ago. My eyes are inside the ball and the ball is up in my stance. Definitely against what would be considered conventional wisdom, but this setup allows me to see the line better, make better contact, and start the ball on my intended line.

Like a few others on here I started to work with Bruce Rearick through his Burnt edges consulting.

I am a pro who has studdied and read about putting for a while now and I can honestly say I have learnt more from Bruce in a week than I have in the last 3 years. He clears out all the things you should not be doing thus eliminating a lot of doubt and temptation to experiment.

Great stuff and with his help I know I will be a better putter.

Thanks

[quote name='m_w' timestamp='1329839038' post='4341019']
is there any working coupon code for the TCM? golfwrx seems to have run out on the 31st of Jan-

tx!
[/quote]

Got mine for half price using this...

[color=#1C2837][size=2]At checkout, enter coupon code: Peanut Gallery[/size][/color]

I assume you are addressing my post. I haven't even implemented my new grip yet. I read "The Impact Zone" and got the idea from the first chapter of that book. I never paid attention to having a flat left wrist before. Feels awkward starting out but I'm hoping after some practice it will start to feel natural.

[b]D[/b]: Ping G15 9*
[b]FW[/b]: Ping G15 4w
[b]H[/b]: Ping G10 21*
[b]I[/b]: Ping i3 O-size 4-W
[b]W[/b]: Eye 2 SW, G15 G, Eye 2+ L
[b]P[/b]: Taylor Made Monza Spider

And I changed putters.
Went from an Odyssey XG insert to SC carbon steel.
Also went from 35" to 33.25".

Besides working on my takeaway, I have been using the old 12-18" in front of the ball look for a mark on the green as your line, in terms of alignment. This really cuts down on some issues and allows me to focus on distance control more.
People say putting is my strong suit, but I just think they are lousy putters is all.

Last weekend, I missed 6 inside 6 foot putts for par or birdie. Greens were super fast, very un-wintery here in NorCal.
I could not get the ball to drop, and I scrambled so very well from tee to green too:(

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some of the best putting sessions, believe it or not, with my 52 degree Nicket wedge. Have you heard of "Swing the Handle"? I am calling my new putting philosophy "Putting the Toe". I have gone back and forth between an old ugly belly putter that I have made more putts with than I can remember, and a regular length putter that I have had plenty of success with as well, but in both cases I have gone to this putting theory and it is the real deal for me. I would call my stroke SBST, or at least that is what I attempt. Putting with my 52 degree wedge REALLY makes me focus on making solid contact and controlling the toe with my left hand (southpaw). Hovering the wedge has also made my stroke more fluid, and I find if I do the same with my putter there is crossover. Like with anything, it comes and goes and sometimes I hover to get my fluidity back and other times I putt with putter grounded. Either way, maybe give this practice method a try. Get that wedge out and challenge yourself a bit. Just my 2 cents.

Using the line on my ball and feeling like im rolling the putt rather then hitting it. also no practise stroke and set up looking at the target when spreading feet.

Cheers guys. Also heard from my friend who is an amazing putter that the book the art of putting by horton smith is a must read to become a better putter.

Leo

I put myself through my "putting suicides" after every range session. I do the same 3-6-9 (sometimes add a 12) that I've been doing since I was 17 (now 31), but I have added where I do it from all 4 sides of the cup to force myself to practice different breaks. It's amazing how much your putting inside of 10 ft improves with you add a little pressure to the practice. It also made me realize how poor my alignment was on right to left breakers. The first few times it took me longer to get through that station then the other 3 combined. On the course I just always assumed it was a slight misread high or low.

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Epic Super Hybrid 20* Ventus HB 8

Srixon ZX MKII Utility 23* Recoil Dart 90

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Edel SMS 56* V Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
LAB Mezz 

[quote name='chamgel2' timestamp='1331510580' post='4485379']
I put myself through my "putting suicides" after every range session. I do the same 3-6-9 (sometimes add a 12) that I've been doing since I was 17 (now 31), but I have added where I do it from all 4 sides of the cup to force myself to practice different breaks. It's amazing how much your putting inside of 10 ft improves with you add a little pressure to the practice. It also made me realize how poor my alignment was on right to left breakers. The first few times it took me longer to get through that station then the other 3 combined. On the course I just always assumed it was a slight misread high or low.
[/quote]
Is this feet from the cup like a compass at 4 points around the hole?

Also if anyone has any good lag drills Id love to get some

[quote name='KiwiBoy' timestamp='1331533298' post='4487823']
[quote name='chamgel2' timestamp='1331510580' post='4485379']
[/quote]
Is this feet from the cup like a compass at 4 points around the hole?

Also if anyone has any good lag drills Id love to get some
[/quote]

I have one. At 30-40-50ft from a hole, putt one ball from each distance. Put an alignment stick two feet behind the hole. You have to putt all three past the hole, but not past the stick. Really tough for me.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)