Pasatiempo...worth the hype and cost?

jlam1127

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be different, but i found pasatiempo to be uninspiring... not as exciting as people hyped it up to be....a good course... but not as great as i was expecting

i would say i like half moon bay ocean side better... just for the views

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

The greens at Pasatiempo are the closest thing, in terms of WILD undulation, that you will find to Augusta (so I am told...) They are crazy. I played there in prime conditions when they were smooth and fast, and got eaten alive. I 5-putted the 16th. I walked away rattled and questioning my ability to see straight. I will be back.

The layout didn't wow me, but the greens made up for it.

i live in Palo Alto and play these courses very regularly. im a 2 handicap, hit it pretty long, and play in quite a few tourneys = so i kinda like th tougher/longer tracks.

1) pasatiempo = good track, a little short, but the greens are pretty sweet. Overpriced for what it is. Good track if you are trying to knock #'s off the Top 100 you can play.

2) HMB ocean course = grossly overpriced. use golfnow.com to save literally hundreds. ocean course is shorter, and you can blow your driver into a different fairway on every hole. views are stunning though. This is the course people who are tourists play.

3) HMB old course = they have the US open qualifier here each year. tough track, better layout than ocean course, but greens don't get as much wind and are slightly slower. long course, tough, good challenge.

IMO the course to play, for the money, is about 35 miles south of Santa Cruz in Seaside. Its called Bayonet. they have the PGA Head Pro championship there and senior tour Q-school. also have a US open qualifier. TOUGH track. Spyglass and bayonet are probably hardest courses in nor-cal. they also have killer golfnow.com deals and the course is usually pretty open.

I thoroughly enjoyed the layout when I played it.
It's not going to wow you on every single hole but there are definitely some great holes, some good holes and a few average holes.
The greens are some of the most challenging I've ever played, just don't leave yourself above the hole, ever.

Certain views and shots on the course you can definitely see similarities with Augusta. 2nd shot into #2, tee shot on #10 and the shape to the 13th hole all feel eerily familiar and sadly may be as close as I ever get to AN.

The par 3, 3rd is a great hole and the 2nd shot up to the 9th is a blast. 11 will have you scratching your head on both the tee ball and the 2nd shot and 16 you have to stay right to give yourself the full treatment on the 2nd shot.

In general when I've shelled out the cash for expensive tracks I've come away disappointed. Pasatiempo was not one of those courses, I'd happily pay the full rack rate for it again.

Have a look on Golfnow, there have been early twilight times for Pasatiempo appearing regularly on there for several months now. Runs about $100 with cart. At that rate it's an absolute bargain.

[quote name='alittlethinboss' timestamp='1327652890' post='4160753']
i live in Palo Alto and play these courses very regularly. im a 2 handicap, hit it pretty long, and play in quite a few tourneys = so i kinda like th tougher/longer tracks.

1) pasatiempo = good track, a little short, but the greens are pretty sweet. Overpriced for what it is. Good track if you are trying to knock #'s off the Top 100 you can play.

2) HMB ocean course = grossly overpriced. use golfnow.com to save literally hundreds. ocean course is shorter, and you can blow your driver into a different fairway on every hole. views are stunning though. This is the course people who are tourists play.

3) HMB old course = they have the US open qualifier here each year. tough track, better layout than ocean course, but greens don't get as much wind and are slightly slower. long course, tough, good challenge.

IMO the course to play, for the money, is about 35 miles south of Santa Cruz in Seaside. Its called Bayonet. they have the PGA Head Pro championship there and senior tour Q-school. also have a US open qualifier. TOUGH track. Spyglass and bayonet are probably hardest courses in nor-cal. they also have killer golfnow.com deals and the course is usually pretty open.
[/quote]

Thanks, good review of the course in that area. How would you rate Cinnabar Hills compared to these tracks. That was the course I played during my trip to the bay area last year, and I will play Bayonet during my next visit after reading your recommendation.

It is worth it. I played terribly there and I usually hate courses when I have a day like that, but the holes are so interetsing I stll was not disappointed with the layout.

I have the exact same opinion. I couldn't get off the tee to save my life (had to use my backup driver & 3 wood cuz the regular ones were in the shop) and usually when that happens I have a horrible day and thus horrible memories of the course. However, I saw it as a challenge and can't wait to get back out to Pasatiempo with my normal sticks and take another crack at those greens.

That being said, Bayonet was a blast when I played it last year.

HMB Ocean Course is what others described. Fantastic views, grossly overpriced (must buy thru Golfnow IMO), and the lack of a driving range is a huge annoyance if you head straight there after getting off a plane. You can hit shots up to 50-60 yards around their practice area but that's about it. The first hole is a good warmup and I just hit an extra drive for practice off that tee to get loosened up. You'll need as 2 & 4 are important holes off the tee IMO. Try to get a tee time that will let you finish around sunset (plan for 4.5 hours) as it's one of the best courses I've ever been on at that time of day.

Taken from the 16th hole on my phone...

6771458823_76cb75dd1f.jpg

[quote name='teamyonex' timestamp='1327632193' post='4159525']
The greens at Pasatiempo are the closest thing, in terms of WILD undulation, that you will find to Augusta (so I am told...) They are crazy. I played there in prime conditions when they were smooth and fast, and got eaten alive. I 5-putted the 16th. I walked away rattled and questioning my ability to see straight. [b][i]I will be back.[/i][/b]

[/quote]

There's a testimonial.

Who can say if it is worth the "hype," because how do you measure hype. $125 on GolfNow, most definitely worth that.

It is my favorite course that I've played so far! It is not the longest layout but I just find it so interesting and I really enjoy every shot. MUST be below the hole! I too 5 putted the 3rd. They do have quite a sliding scale for rates and if you know someone I think it is only $80.

Half Moon Bay Ocean is beautiful, but play the Old Course instead and have a drink at the hotel for the view.

Bayonet is awesome, there are two courses and it is the higher rated but I like Black Horse too.

Enjoy!

First off, golf in California is the most expensive in the nation. So when people say such-such course is overpriced, every course in California is overpriced compared to where out-of-towners are coming from. That being said, there are deals out there. As far as Pasa goes, it is a Top 100 golf course in GolfDigest's rankings, and is higher in GolfWeek's rankings. If that means anything, than of course the green fee is gonna be high. Pasa is a semi-private club, not a regular public/resort golf course.That's another reason why green fees are higher at this course. Members get priority and public cannot play before 9:30am.

It would be a shame if you were in Santa Cruz and didn't play Pasa. Pasatiempo is a players golf course. There's no water, no lakes to carry or avoid, no views like HMB's Ocean Course. Just the toughest green complex's you'll ever play. If you want to be challenged, play here. If you want beauty, go somewhere else, not that tightly wooded fairways aren't beautiful....:) It's not a long course but that was by design. The greens more than make up for the supposed lack of length. Only during the hot summers does the course play slightly shorter due to balls carrying farther in the heat. However, that's only 3 months out of the year. The air is heavier in the Santa Cruz mountains so the course usually plays longer than said yardage. Shot values are very demading and extemely high to score well. Lots of history, many great players have walked the fairways.

Bayonet/BlackHorse are very nice as well...total players' courses as well, but IMHO, a definite step below Pasa. However, the condition of the golf courses are usually outstanding. The green fee is lower so that makes it a much better "deal" than Pasa. Do you want a "deal" or do you want an "experience"? That's why it's hard to help someone who asks if a course is "worth it". Everyone's different, everyone has certain expectations and desires.

Its too bad Pasa isn't closer to Monterey. People often head straight to the Monterey Peninsula and Pasa gets bypassed and often forgotten about. Personally, I wouldn't skip Pasa to drive down to Fort Ord and play Bayonet or BlackHorse. If you're going to go down there, don't go all the way there to play those courses. Go there to play Pebble or Spy and then add Bayonet/BlackHorse as needed. Of all the courses MacKenzie did, he was most proud of Pasatiempo. Not Cypress, not Augusta. That's why he chose to live the remaining years of his life just off the 6th fairway. IMHO, Pasatiempo is a true jewel for golf in California.

Ahhhh.... you make a very good point... I was looking more for an experience than a deal (Although I can't justify dropping 350 -40 for a round this early in the season)....I played Harding and wasn't too impressed at all, but then played Cordevalle and was totally impressed with the experience. I understand that Harding is a muni, but for a PGA course, I expected more....

[quote name='ATXgolfer ' timestamp='1327670122' post='4161167']
[quote name='alittlethinboss' timestamp='1327652890' post='4160753']

[/quote]

Thanks, good review of the course in that area. How would you rate Cinnabar Hills compared to these tracks. That was the course I played during my trip to the bay area last year, and I will play Bayonet during my next visit after reading your recommendation.
[/quote]

If you like target golf and losing a ton of balls 2 paces off the fairway then Cinnabar is the place for you. For championship style courses, where Open qualifier are played, and solid layouts with gorgeous views = bayonet and black horse are the best for the money. If you can get on pasatiempo for $125 do it. But for the normal $250 it might be worth it to just go play bayonet or spanish bay.

It's about 35 miles up the coast from the Monterey Peninsula. Usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic and fog on Highway1.

Website only list greens fees for Pasatiempo as "Up to $250".

They have been listing times on golfnow for several months now for between $100-$125 but obviously you can't book very far ahead that way.

Good resource for a golf trip to Northern CA is the Northern CA golf association (NCGA) website. There is a comprehensive course directory on there which has links to all the courses websites.
http://www.ncga.org/

Just be careful booking stuff out here at that time as a lot of courses will be aerating around about then. Well worth calling the course just to check and avoid the disappointment of punched/sanded greens.

If you are in the area on a golf trip, another course which is well worth a visit is San Juan Oaks near Hollister. It's about half way between the SF Bay Area and Monterey.

[quote name='H8 3putts' timestamp='1327879104' post='4174711']
It's about 35 miles up the coast from the Monterey Peninsula. Usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic and fog on Highway1.

Website only list greens fees for Pasatiempo as "Up to $250".

They have been listing times on golfnow for several months now for between $100-$125 but obviously you can't book very far ahead that way.

Good resource for a golf trip to Northern CA is the Northern CA golf association (NCGA) website. There is a comprehensive course directory on there which has links to all the courses websites.
[url="http://www.ncga.org/"]http://www.ncga.org/[/url]

Just be careful booking stuff out here at that time as a lot of courses will be aerating around about then. Well worth calling the course just to check and avoid the disappointment of punched/sanded greens.

If you are in the area on a golf trip, another course which is well worth a visit is San Juan Oaks near Hollister. It's about half way between the SF Bay Area and Monterey.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, especially about the greens. That is something we will have to check on. I don't think we would want to drive any further than the 35 miles or so. I've just read some about this course and thought it was one worth looking into. Our final day may come down to a decision between Spyglass and Pasatiempo, and after PB's green fees, cost is a big factor.

Pasatiempo is running a special on their own webiste right now for $145.

I love this course. Fairway landing areas are typically generous, although it helps to keep it on the correct side. But you won't get killed for pushing or pulling it a little. Approach shots are altogether different - you better be on target, or you're either looking at your ball rolling back onto the fairway or the hairiest dowhhill putt you've liikely faced. Greens are undulating but not tricked-up or gimmicky. Take a caddie, if you can. He will help you figure out the greens and save a lot of shots.

Don't be fooled by the distance on the scorecard. I never would have believed that 6500 yards could play so long.

I loved Pasa when I played it. I can't remember all the details of my round but the general feeling that I had after playing was mental exhaustion. It is a real thinking man's golf course. As others have said, bring your short game. Definitely worth it, especially if you can get on for around $150.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei Raw AV Blue 55
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour Motore X F3
Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDOUS

Callaway Apex UW 21* HZRDOUS
Titleist T200 5i AMT Black

Titleist T150 6i-48* AMT Black
Vokey SM9 54 12D
Vokey SM9 60 4T
PXG Bat Attack 2.0

I have an opportunity to play SF Golf Club. Any thoughts? Should I bring the clubs all the way across the country for one round?? Have any of you played there??

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

[quote name='Drewmun' timestamp='1328460774' post='4218133']
I have an opportunity to play SF Golf Club. Any thoughts? Should I bring the clubs all the way across the country for one round?? Have any of you played there??
[/quote]
Heck yes! Very exclusive. If they used a welcome mat, it would say GO AWAY. It's a Tillinghast course, beautiful, serene, lots of bunkers. OLD SCHOOL. Hard to get on, don't pass up your chance, leave your cell phone in the car. They may not even want you taking pictures.

[quote name='Drewmun' timestamp='1328460774' post='4218133']
[/quote]

I'd be more than happy to drag my clubs cross country and play a round for you.....