2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TheMackDaddy's WITB

I now have 18 holes in with the anser irons. It is too soon to give the verdict, but I noticed a few things:
-The Anser irons are way longer than my scratch irons. I hit a 180 yard 6 iron and a 150 yard 9 iron.. That's considerably longer than my Scratch irons.
-The ansers look incredible
-The pxi shafts that are in them did not impress me.

I'm missing a 50 degree wedge, so if anyone has a miura wedge in something around 50, pm me. I would also go for a ping anser wedge or something else JDM.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1370702808' post='7195130']
What were you noticing with the pxi's? I got my first round in with them yesterday and they felt weird to me too.
[/quote]
They just felt dead. While I was swinging it poorly, they were all over the place. Thankfully I have some other shafts coming in the mail that will perform better than these.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371001448' post='7218818']
[quote name='Hattori Hanzo' timestamp='1371001245' post='7218800']
That's a big 6 iron! How's the dispersion?
[/quote]
Tighter than a headband!
[/quote]

Impressive. So just how much longer are these than your AR-1s?

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

Okay, school is finally over, and I would like to do a bit of bragging![attachment=1740988:image.jpg]. The hard work paid off, but I took a toll on my golf game. 4 consecutive rounds shooting 81... That can't happen. Thankfully it was just the short game, and I put in 12 hours of practice today to prepare for tommorow's tournament. A short course that fits my eye and supposedly an enormous downpour!! My ideal conditions!
No real changes, other than I'm looking for a 50 degree JDM wedge, a 2013 anser 4 iron, and mate a 17 ping hybrid with a nice low/mid shaft.
My friend wants me to trade my AD DI for a shaft he can get from his go to shaft guy. I'm thinking I might ditch the AD DI if I can trade for something nice like a Kiyoshi Black or Purple, but I haven't considered anything else.

Also: Iomics are over rated.

I shot a 78 in my tournament, good enough for 5th place but I am very dissapointed. Yes it was windy as could be, and I only had 11 clubs in my bag, but I can't be posting rounds like these... I have had rounds of 83,81, and 78 in tournaments this year, and I want to be so much lower. I think most of it right now is in the mental game, as my focus doesn't seem to be sharp enough. I am thinking "I hope I hit this shot well" instead of, " I am going to hit this shot well". I think that is really holding me back, and once I get that confidence back I think my scores will drop drastically.

Overall i have not been blown away by the Anser irons on the course. They are long, but I have trouble gettin a consistant distance with shots, and they do not feel as good as my Scratch irons. Hopefully, it is just in my head because I want to love them so badly.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1372294268' post='7331158']
It sounds like you hit the ball well MD, but as you said you are having trouble focusing, which is affecting your scores. Based on that do you think that playing in tournaments would actually help you get that focus back?
[/quote]
I don't know man... I just had a 36 hole tournament at my own home course and shot 79 79... That is pathetic for a scratch golfer. I've read Rotella inside and out. I practiced putting for 2 hours today, played 18 and still had 38 putts which is my highest in somewhere around 2 years. I want a break, but don't want to regret WD'ing from a tourney; however, I just feel like I would embaress myself if I played in it.

It's been 20+ days with nothing but golf and sleep. I'm exhausted.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1372295962' post='7331392']
It sounds like you hit the ball well MD, but as you said you are having trouble focusing, which is affecting your scores. Based on that do you think that playing in tournaments would actually help you get that focus back?
[/quote]
I don't know man... I just had a 36 hole tournament at my own home course and shot 79 79... That is pathetic for a scratch golfer. I've read Rotella inside and out. I practiced putting for 2 hours today, played 18 and still had 38 putts which is my highest in somewhere around 2 years. I want a break, but don't want to regret WD'ing from a tourney; however, I just feel like I would embaress myself if I played in it.

[/quote]

That IS a lot of golf and it sounds like you are a bit burnt out. I can understand your not want to embarrass yourself, at the same time I can understand your reluctance to withdraw as you seem like an honorable fellow. That is a dilemma.

May I suggest the following? Play the tournament and then take a break. You will know that after this tournament you can take a few days off from golf/practice...perhaps this will give you a bit of motivation knowing that there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, if you will. Perhaps this will allow you to "relax" during the tournament knowing you can take a "vacation" afterwards?

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1372296253' post='7331434']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That IS a lot of golf and it sounds like you are a bit burnt out. I can understand your not want to embarrass yourself, at the same time I can understand your reluctance to withdraw as you seem like an honorable fellow. That is a dilemma.

May I suggest the following? Play the tournament and then take a break. You will know that after this tournament you can take a few days off from golf/practice...perhaps this will give you a bit of motivation knowing that there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, if you will. Perhaps this will allow you to "relax" during the tournament knowing you can take a "vacation" afterwards?
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice! I stayed in the tournament, saved myself a DQ/WD so that looks much better to college coaches.
I shot 77-81 so that is a bummer but I am going to remain positive. Juniors in the 14-15 range do a fantastic job of staying happy, and that is the mindset I need to be in. Heck, one of my friends shot a 90 first round and was all smiles after the round, went out and shot 79 in his second round. That is the attitude I want to have.
I hurt my knee and back in the tourney today though, I knew I pushed myself a bit too far. The next couple days will be spent sleeping and hoing.. No golf.

Nice job piecing together a set of Ansers... updated pics? You've also come a long, long way since day 1 here and look to have a bright future. Keep up the hard work and things will fall into place. Also- its OK to take some time off and refresh yourself.... very easy to get burnt out if you're not careful.

Also- really enjoy the pics and hearing about the backyard course and maintenance--- very cool.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1372388836' post='7339356']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1372296253' post='7331434']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the advice! I stayed in the tournament, saved myself a DQ/WD so that looks much better to college coaches.
I shot 77-81 so that is a bummer but I am going to remain positive. Juniors in the 14-15 range do a fantastic job of staying happy, and that is the mindset I need to be in. Heck, one of my friends shot a 90 first round and was all smiles after the round, went out and shot 79 in his second round. That is the attitude I want to have.
I hurt my knee and back in the tourney today though, I knew I pushed myself a bit too far. The next couple days will be spent sleeping and hoing.. No golf.
[/quote]

Good job! Those scores aren't terrible (look at your friend). Sorry to hear about the knee and back though. The fact that you know now what kind of attitude you want to have can only help you in the long run. Enjoy the sleep and the ho'ing! :-)

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1372390423' post='7339480']
Nice job piecing together a set of Ansers... updated pics? You've also come a long, long way since day 1 here and look to have a bright future. Keep up the hard work and things will fall into place. Also- its OK to take some time off and refresh yourself.... very easy to get burnt out if you're not careful.

Also- really enjoy the pics and hearing about the backyard course and maintenance--- very cool.
[/quote]
Pics will be taken tomorrow I think. The Anser 4 iron finally arrived today... still have to have it bent/ reshafted with the miracle shafts.
How often do you play? Also what drills do you work on for your short game?
Also I bought a fourteen wedge, all black... bought it blindly LOL so we will see.
Once it arrives I will be back at 14 clubs.

I hear ya man I am STRUGGLING. I am playing scared golf and keep asking myself why I am playing in events. I am not having any sort of fun, I'm shutting it down for a week or so to reboot.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck