2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers Hale Wala'au

pitbull808

Congrats to Layne Morita/GolfWRX "lurker" :D for making the finals of the Manoa Cup. His caddie is our own da master 808/Joey who also happens to be Layne's Coach at Chaminade University. If anyone is not doing anything tomorrow, by all means drop by and support Layne and Joey. I'll probably be stopping by as well since it's only up the street for me. Hopefully it will be a great day of golf and great weather!

BTW...nice getting in a round with Chadeo and Bubba today at RK. It's been awhile since I've been on a golf course. Glad I didn't hack it up like I expected to. I guess swinging soft and going up a club does wonders to a golf game. Not to mention using one helluva ugly putter but it had a nice Circle T cover! :cheesy:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody emailed me this.....

In My Hand I Hold A Ball,

White And Dimpled, Rather Small.

Oh, How Bland It Does Appear,

This Harmless Looking Little Sphere.

By It's Size I Could Not Guess,

The Awesome Strength It Does Possess.

But Since I Fell Beneath Its Spell,

I've Wandered Through The Fires Of Hell.

My Life Has Not Been Quite The Same,

Since I Chose To Play This Stupid Game.

It Rules My Mind For Hours On End,

A Fortune It Has Made Me Spend.

It Has Made Me Yell, Curse And Cry,

I Hate Myself And Want To Die.

It Promises Thing Called Par,

If I Can Hit It Straight And Far.

To Master Such A Tiny Ball,

Should Not Be Very Hard At All.

But My Desires The Ball Refuses,

And Does Exactly As It Chooses.

It Hooks And Slices, Dribbles And Dies,

And Even Disappears Before My E yes.

Often It Will Have A Whim,

To Hit A Tree Or ! Take A Swim.

With Miles Of Grass On Which To Land,

It Finds A Tiny Patch Of Sand.

Then Has Me Offering Up My Soul,

If Only It Would Find The Hole.

It's Made Me Whimper Like A Pup,

And Swear That I Will Give It Up.

And Take To Drink To Ease My Sorrow,

But The Ball Knows ... I'll Be Back Tomorrow.

Stand proud you noble swingers of clubs and losers of balls....

A recent study found the average golfer walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found golfers drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

That means, on average, golfers get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud. Almost feel like a hybrid.

• 1 month later...

Good morning,

Before I ship my OnOff driver to the mainland to get the ATTAS shaft pulled and put into a Callaway i-MIx adapter, I thought I'd ask the members if there is anyone in Hawaii able to do this? I've been trying to get in touch with Kazu, but no answer and Carl is ???. Thanks for any input.

BTW, I'm likin the Ft-9 w Fubuki. I'd just like to compare the Fubuki to the ATTAS. Another BTW, I finally hit the fairway at #7 at Koolau yesterday. First time. I have no idea why I have so much trouble with that hole, but I got em yesterday. I think part of the problem is a left to right wind which you can't feel on the tee box. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Redhaze737' post='1871293' date='Aug 7 2009, 08:01 AM']Good morning,

Before I ship my OnOff driver to the mainland to get the ATTAS shaft pulled and put into a Callaway i-MIx adapter, I thought I'd ask the members if there is anyone in Hawaii able to do this? I've been trying to get in touch with Kazu, but no answer and Carl is ???. Thanks for any input.

BTW, I'm likin the Ft-9 w Fubuki. I'd just like to compare the Fubuki to the ATTAS. Another BTW, I finally hit the fairway at #7 at Koolau yesterday. First time. I have no idea why I have so much trouble with that hole, but I got em yesterday. I think part of the problem is a left to right wind which you can't feel on the tee box. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm surprised you can't get in touch with Kazu. Did you try asking someone at Roots? They might know. Carl...I think he's on Kahoolawe or something. :D

The only other suggestion...I'm pretty sure Joe Kwok can do it. No questions to how good he is either. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, I'm going to be able to go and play golf Sunday. It's been a month and I've hit balls once. Had to work a couple weekends and I have to work this Saturday, but Sunday is golf time. I will have to walk on somewhere, but oh well, at least I get to play. It's been so long.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

[quote name='armydiver' post='1920600' date='Aug 28 2009, 04:35 PM']If you want to play one of the military courses (Hickam or Navy Marine) let me know, and we can walk on together.[/quote]

Sorry, missed this post earlier. I will definitely take you up on that eventually. I got out this morning for the early-bird Hackfest w/Reid and Bobby. It was fun...sort of. At least the company was good. But now I'm ebay looking at blade style putters.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

[quote name='rok78' post='1923819' date='Aug 30 2009, 04:53 PM'][quote name='armydiver' post='1920600' date='Aug 28 2009, 04:35 PM']If you want to play one of the military courses (Hickam or Navy Marine) let me know, and we can walk on together.[/quote]

Sorry, missed this post earlier. I will definitely take you up on that eventually. I got out this morning for the early-bird Hackfest w/Reid and Bobby. It was fun...sort of. At least the company was good. But now I'm ebay looking at blade style putters.
[/quote]

A definite hack fest....definitely fun as well. Nice to finally get out and play. See if you can find a Arnold Palmer AP30R on Ebay. It's got less offset. I think if you do a search here you'll find a pic I posted somewhere. Also harder to find..much nicer, the Bridgestone Eagle and the Jumbo Ozaki putters. They've got really little offset. We should set up a meeting..I can bring at least twenty blades for you to compare! :cheesy: Either that..if you make it next Saturday..I'll just fill up a golf bag. I've got pretty much a sample of all the American stuff and an even better collection of the Japan stuff. My newest Mizuno Pro 9001 is just a beautiful carbon blade! :clapping:

BUT...you really did sink some great putts today with that BC-7. :yes:

[quote name='pitbull808' post='1924033' date='Aug 30 2009, 08:36 PM'][quote name='rok78' post='1923819' date='Aug 30 2009, 04:53 PM'][quote name='armydiver' post='1920600' date='Aug 28 2009, 04:35 PM']If you want to play one of the military courses (Hickam or Navy Marine) let me know, and we can walk on together.[/quote]

[/quote]

A definite hack fest....definitely fun as well. Nice to finally get out and play. See if you can find a Arnold Palmer AP30R on Ebay. It's got less offset. I think if you do a search here you'll find a pic I posted somewhere. Also harder to find..much nicer, the Bridgestone Eagle and the Jumbo Ozaki putters. They've got really little offset. We should set up a meeting..I can bring at least twenty blades for you to compare! :cheesy: Either that..if you make it next Saturday..I'll just fill up a golf bag. I've got pretty much a sample of all the American stuff and an even better collection of the Japan stuff. My newest Mizuno Pro 9001 is just a beautiful carbon blade! :clapping:

BUT...you really did sink some great putts today with that BC-7. :yes:
[/quote]

That reminds me, I have to check my schedule to see if I can play Saturday. I saw some 8802's on the 'bay. I was going to swing by Roots, cause you never know...But I do need to take a look at your collection. Blade putter demo day anyone?

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='da master 808' post='1942797' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:55 PM']Saw my canine friend walking at the park today. Aren't there leash laws for Pitbulls? Anyway, this particular canine also goes half okole around magic island. :cheesy:[/quote]

Hmmphhh...and how much do you weigh..vs my height and age?? I think I got you beat..especially when I did 4.5 miles. Did 5 today. ;)

[quote]Hmmphhh...and how much do you weigh..vs my height and age?? I think I got you beat..especially when I did 4.5 miles. Did 5 today. wink.gif[/quote] :cheesy:

Sounds like a challenge! I remember winning the last one against a 19 y/o. I guess I'll have motivation in OK to hit the gym again! Guess my golf game will go to heck again... :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Played Royal Kunia today with Xsfspeed/Mach1/rok78....nice to finally get out on the course after a few weeks off. Interesting thing noticed....with three of us Tony, Bobby and I being some of the most active ho's in the State and Rick being an up and coming version of us.....who would have thought we ALL had Nike irons???!!! :swoon: Rick has a set of VR blades, I have a set of VR Splits and Tony and Bobby have combo sets of blades and splits. We have all played numerous $$$JDM$$$, American along with "tour" sets yet we have gone with a brand that has been smacked down countless times in the forum. We found it pretty laughable considering what we have played in the past yet have all settled on one brand and are very happy. Inferior?? I think not! :fie:

Bring on the VR Driver! :clapping:

[quote name='pitbull808' post='1961537' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:36 PM']Played Royal Kunia today with Xsfspeed/Mach1/rok78....nice to finally get out on the course after a few weeks off. Interesting thing noticed....with three of us Tony, Bobby and I being some of the most active ho's in the State and Rick being an up and coming version of us.....who would have thought we ALL had Nike irons???!!! :swoon: Rick has a set of VR blades, I have a set of VR Splits and Tony and Bobby have combo sets of blades and splits. We have all played numerous $$$JDM$$$, American along with "tour" sets yet we have gone with a brand that has been smacked down countless times in the forum. We found it pretty laughable considering what we have played in the past yet have all settled on one brand and are very happy. Inferior?? I think not! :fie:

Bring on the VR Driver! :clapping:[/quote]

But the Big Three (hos) haven't put into play a set of JDM irons in ages. It's been domestic stuff since the Tourstage GR trials early this year, and those GRs were a little dated, not the latest models. This is the year of hoing drivers, putters and fairway woods. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

[quote name='mauiatheart' post='1964159' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:41 AM'][quote name='pitbull808' post='1961537' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:36 PM']Played Royal Kunia today with Xsfspeed/Mach1/rok78....nice to finally get out on the course after a few weeks off. Interesting thing noticed....with three of us Tony, Bobby and I being some of the most active ho's in the State and Rick being an up and coming version of us.....who would have thought we ALL had Nike irons???!!! :swoon: Rick has a set of VR blades, I have a set of VR Splits and Tony and Bobby have combo sets of blades and splits. We have all played numerous $$$JDM$$$, American along with "tour" sets yet we have gone with a brand that has been smacked down countless times in the forum. We found it pretty laughable considering what we have played in the past yet have all settled on one brand and are very happy. Inferior?? I think not! :fie:

Bring on the VR Driver! :clapping:[/quote]

But the Big Three (hos) haven't put into play a set of JDM irons in ages. It's been domestic stuff since the Tourstage GR trials early this year, and those GRs were a little dated, not the latest models. This is the year of hoing drivers, putters and fairway woods. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
[/quote]

All true. But I think it boils to down to what works for me. Having owned more sets of irons than any of us could ever count to...I have settled on these. What's more, I have no urge to switch irons, even after hitting other brands. There are a number of very good clubs on the market, but IMO nothing feels and performs like the VR for me. Did I mention they feel great? I know, people are gonna say Mizuno this, and Miura that...been there and done that...many times over. I still own tour and JDM sets forged by Miura and I would not hesitate to play Mizunos if my set were not around. All that said, neither my Mizunos nor my Miuras (yes plural) were the complete package for me, like the VRs. Let the haters hate, they can play whatever they like. To be honest, I would never have thought I would be playing Nike's either...go figure. Like Pitbull said, "Bring on the VR driver!!"

[quote name='da master 808' post='1964248' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:37 AM']Sheesh! I feel like I'm listening to a Nike infomercial! :crazy::russian_roulette: [b]Quick, someone yell POW and offer a free 3 wood.[/b][/quote]

That's why we have you! :D By now, you should know that free 3 woods don't sway me. On the other hand, if they want to pay me $10,000 a year, I'd even play Big Berthas! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice getting out to Royal Kunia with Xsfspeed, Mach 1, and rok78. Our weekend outings are almost like Goflwrx outings. The course is looking pretty good. The greens are recovering from aerating the other month. They're pretty wooly right now...sloooow but there's no sand or punch holes remaining. I should have brought gamer #1 with me instead of #3 though. I was worried the greens might be sandy so I wanted something that wouldn't scratch. The greens were fine but my tough with #3 was awful. As many greens that I hit and pins that I stuck, I should have been even or under at worse. Four three putts were not a good thing. All in all though..fun arse day out there. Beats the hell out of work! :yes:

[quote name='Xsfspeed' post='2007528' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:04 PM']Happy Birthday BIG DOG! :birthday:[/quote]

Thank you much Mr T! By the way...missed you at practice today. I got to try the i15 and g15. Pretty nice..but nowhere near the happiness I'm having with my Ft9. ALTHOUGH..the i15 is tempting...gorgeous etc! I think with the right engine, that head will be magnificent. :yes:

[quote name='pitbull808' post='2007539' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:43 PM']Thank you much Mr T! By the way...missed you at practice today. I got to try the i15 and g15. Pretty nice..but nowhere near the happiness I'm having with my Ft9. ALTHOUGH..the i15 is tempting...gorgeous etc! I think with the right engine, that head will be magnificent. :yes:[/quote]

I am usually busy on Wednesdays, so it is very tough for me to make it to practice. I will be there on Friday and hopefully get to try the i15. I play in the morning, so hopefully I will lose that awful swing I had last week. :russian_roulette:

[quote name='rok78' post='2008085' date='Oct 15 2009, 06:56 AM']Happy B-Day Reid, do you still count at your age :cheesy:? I kid, I kid.[/quote]

Thanks Rick...and no..I don't count..only the strokes and the yards that I beat the young bucks by! :cheesy:

[quote name='Xsfspeed' post='2008223' date='Oct 15 2009, 07:56 AM']I am usually busy on Wednesdays, so it is very tough for me to make it to practice. I will be there on Friday and hopefully get to try the i15. I play in the morning, so hopefully I will lose that awful swing I had last week. :russian_roulette:[/quote]

Ahh..IC...I had thought I heard you were coming out. Range session went very well though. I think we should do more of that then course work actually. Two swings looked much better after the two hours then when they started. Of course I had nothing to do with that..didnt want to start any bad habits! :cheesy: