2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Changes On Golfnow

Golfnow now has a "frequent golfer" program. Unfortunately in creating this they took away all of the points I had earned throughout 2011. I was actually saving them up to use them on a nice course and now they are gone. Oh, but if I book 10 times this year I get some "discount".

Uh huh....

I wonder if the same genious who gave Netflix some business advice last year met with some of the GolfNow execs.

Needless to say I will be looking for competitors and will not use GolfNow unless I absolutely cannot avoid using them. Same as I dropped Netflix when they got greedy.

To anyone from Golfnow who might read this - generally "fixing" things that are not really broken causes new problems that are usually big, complicated, and difficult to address. You had a good system with the points. What makes you think that some "frequent golfer" replacement program with no reward provided to those who had a lot of points saved up is fair, equitable, or makes good business sense?

Incredible.....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

misspelling "Genius" is awesome

Sorry about your points, that does suck for you. I have used them a few times but i never really paid attention enough to know that i was accruing anything of value. who knows, maybe the new program will play out in your favor. Also, are you sure the points you had accumulated were allowed to be carried over? Maybe the expire in the same season? I dunno.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Sorry about your points, that does suck for you. I have used them a few times but i never really paid attention enough to know that i was accruing anything of value. who knows, maybe the new program will play out in your favor. Also, are you sure the points you had accumulated were allowed to be carried over? Maybe the expire in the same season? I dunno.

Guess my fast typing caused a typo. Great word to misspell I have to admit.

As for the points, I searched the net and they apparently sent out some sort of notice in December that you had to "use them or lose them". I somehow missed that message.

What really urks me is that around December 15 I checked my points balance and was going to book a tee time at a local course for me and my wife. Last minute changes in our plans that could not be avoided led to me not using the points. I even said at the time "No problem - we can book them later when you have more time."

I am looking around the net to see what competitors there are out there. Noone has an absolute monopoly and I have already found a couple of sites that seem to offer the same prices. Two of the courses I frequent also offer online booking at the prices are comparable.

It's very doubtful that I will use GolfNow anytime in the near future, it's really that simple.

Now...where is that spell check feature button on here???black%20eye.gif

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

They probably buried the points thing in the middle of some spam/advertising looking email. Maybe the realized they were gonna take a bath on it and had to bail. I totally get your frustration but, at least where i am, they do offer some awesome deals. Don't let this cost you down the line you know?

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Their points were worthless anyway. I had quite a few points and could never use them when I wanted to. I use Golfnow because they have the most courses and often the best prices, but their "rewards" program sucks.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

after you book 10 rounds you don't have to pay the fee so I am not complaining

Ping G425 Max Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Ping G425 3H, 4H Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80S

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW KBS C-Taper Lite S 

Taylormade Milled Grind 2 56* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 60*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H3 Stability Shaft

Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Guess my fast typing caused a typo. Great word to misspell I have to admit.

As for the points, I searched the net and they apparently sent out some sort of notice in December that you had to "use them or lose them". I somehow missed that message.

What really urks me is that around December 15 I checked my points balance and was going to book a tee time at a local course for me and my wife. Last minute changes in our plans that could not be avoided led to me not using the points. I even said at the time "No problem - we can book them later when you have more time."

I am looking around the net to see what competitors there are out there. Noone has an absolute monopoly and I have already found a couple of sites that seem to offer the same prices. Two of the courses I frequent also offer online booking at the prices are comparable.

It's very doubtful that I will use GolfNow anytime in the near future, it's really that simple.

Now...where is that spell check feature button on here???black%20eye.gif

By the way, it's IRK, and no one is two words...sorry, couldn't resist...tongue.gif

I received and read that email in December...it was definitely a separate email than their usual tee time discounts, which I still don't consider spam, since you chose to sign up for specials, as well as have the ability to easily set preferences, frequency, or cancel altogether the subscription.

And before you blast them and/or never use them again, have you spoke to them at all lately? From what I see, if you had a fair amount of points accrued, you will either be grandfathered into the new program, or get credit for their GolfNow Green, per their website:

What happened to my points earned from the old Rewards program?

Your points have been retired since 1/1/2012. GolfNow users with a minimum number of points should have received an email from GolfNow that contained a code for GolfNow Green, essentially a credit that can be used at any point in 2012 against select Hot Deal inventory on GolfNow.com. Further, certain golfers with a substantial number of bookings were provided with automatic "Frequent Golfer" status in our new program. If you have further questions about your previous point balance, please email [email protected].

How do I become a Frequent Golfer?

There are two ways to become a Frequent Golfer.

• Grandfathered In: A customer can be "grandfathered in" at the beginning of the program as a Frequent Golfer. The top bookers who had a high points balance in 2011 will be "grandfathered in" with Frequent Golfer status when the program launches Feb. 2.
  • Earns Frequent Golfer Status: A customer who plays 10 eligible rounds in a calendar year becomes a Frequent Golfer. (please note that only 10 rounds are required – not bookings)

What is the difference in benefits for a customer who has been "grandfathered in" versus a customer who earned Frequent Golfer status by playing 10 rounds in a calendar year?

Partial Benefit: A customer who is "grandfathered in" as a Frequent Golfer at the beginning of the program will receive a "partial benefit." He will pay no transaction fees for all of 2012 (until midnight Pacific Time, Dec. 31, 2012). He must book and play 10 rounds during 2012 to maintain Frequent Golfer status in 2013.

Full Benefit: A customer who earns Frequent Golfer status by playing 10 rounds within a calendar year will pay no transaction fees for the remainder of that year and all of the next year. For example, if a customer becomes a Frequent Golfer in March 2012, he receives free transaction fees on eligible rounds for the rest of 2012 and all of 2013. During 2013 he must play 10 more rounds to keep the benefit in 2014. (As long as he books 10 rounds a year, he will remain a Frequent Golfer in perpetuity).

after you book 10 rounds you don't have to pay the fee so I am not complaining

Same here...I think I prefer their new system. Like someone said, their points were pretty much worthless anyway. Oftentimes, I avoided booking on Golfnow because their transaction fees negated any potential discounts, so their new system is actually so much better for me.

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1328549917' post='4223525']
I dont use any website to book actual tee times. I just use their pricing as a bargening tool when calling the pro shop. 9/10 time the pro shop will match the price and I wont need to pay the fee. :partytime2:
[/quote]

I have tried this on several occasions with no success.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

[quote name='MileHighClub' timestamp='1328551626' post='4223577']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1328549917' post='4223525']
I dont use any website to book actual tee times. I just use their pricing as a bargening tool when calling the pro shop. 9/10 time the pro shop will match the price and I wont need to pay the fee. :partytime2:
[/quote]

I have tried this on several occasions with no success.
[/quote]

That sucks to hear. Must be luck then but most of the courses here in Phoenix are happy to get business and dont have a problem booking at the lower rate.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Maybe it's just the area I'm in, but I don't see ANY benefit from GolfNow, and in fact, during the offseason the rates are higher because the posted price is the same as everyone else is getting, plus the booking fee.

Used to be great when it was LastMinuteGolfer, though.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1328588068' post='4228281']
Maybe it's just the area I'm in, but I don't see ANY benefit from GolfNow, and in fact, during the offseason the rates are higher because the posted price is the same as everyone else is getting, plus the booking fee.

Used to be great when it was LastMinuteGolfer, though.
[/quote]Agreed, up here in New England (RI/SE Mass) I only see about 3-4 of the same courses on it during the summer, and they're all about an hour+ away. No one up here uses it.

I did use it once when I was on vacation in Hilton Head when the wife decided she wanted to go 'shopping' the next day. BLEAHRG.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Love Golfnow... their 'Hot deals' are awesome!

Losing your points does suck... but the new program is way (WAY... [u][b]WAY[/b][/u]) better. I always book tee times (other than when I escape work early and walk on for twilight) through golfnow for the entire group. I'm guessing I spent about $3-4k on tee times in 2011. When I got the email to use the points or lose them, I booked a "free" round. Almost all my points for two+ years got me a threesome on a $75 (at full rate, which I never pay) golf course. Woopty friggin' do. Probably spent 3 or 4 times that on booking fees. Considering how far in advance you had to book and the limited amount of tee times available... I'd much rather have the cash.

Question though... people that had lots of unused points were supposed to have them roll into some kind of credit for "Golfnow Green". WTF is Golfnow Green? Seriously... no information about what it is anywhere on their website. Anyone know?

My dad and I used to use Golf Now to book tee times through private courses that we weren't members of so I guess that is a definite perk of using the service. We booked a round at a course that I can't remember now and we never got the confirmation of the round, ended up getting charged double than what they said. We called and they weren't helpful so we just quit the service then and there.

I managed to use my points for a couple of games over Christmas in Scottsdale so I didn't leave many on the table.

In a related note, I read an article that says Golfnow is destroying golfing in Phoenix and area. Everyone knows the golf industry is in bad shape and golfing is down during these economic times. Golf courses rely on green fees to survive but golfnow has caused golfers to book at the last moment, making it difficult for courses. I know all my golf is booked the day before so I get the best deals but this also puts a strain on courses bottom line when everyone is getting discounted rates. Curious if courses will start to opt out of golfnow.

WITB:
Ping S55 5-PW
Ping G30 10.5 Driver
Ping Glide Wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping G30 21° hybrid
Cobra King F6+ 25°