2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing with a tool

This is really strange because sunday my wife and i went out and we were really happy to just be able to spend time together, we knew the course would be busy, but we figured that was OK, we really just wanted to go out and have some fun and spend time together. I have been working on something in my swing lately and haven't had a chance to take it to the course so this was going to be great to see if i could implement what i have been trying to learn

Anyway early in our round we got paired up with I thought were two nice guys. I had seen them hit a few shots and I thought they were pretty good players from what i saw. I felt a little bad because my swing changes were not going well and i was hitting some really bad shots i normally don't hit. i could sense VERY quickly these two were judging me and feeling superior. But My wife was really hitting it good and i was happy for her so i sort of just brushed off there negativity and decided that there is no way I was going to give up on my new swing figuring the course was packed and no one was moving anyway.

I was just really disappointed with our pairing because by the 5th or 6th hole we played with them, they weren't even really hiding the disdain they were feeling for me. It made me very uncomfortable they way the brooded about. Like i was somehow stopping them from getting their tour card right there! I was in the fairway once and I could see that on the next hole, there was a group in the fairway and one on the tee already as the group in front of us was making their way off the green. I hit a horrible shot BUT i finally felt what I had done wrong, so I threw done another ball and Hit it. This isnt something I wouldn't normally do if we were moving along but there was just no where to go. Well they acted like i shot their dog. Just giving me the eye like i didn't even deserve to live.

But i tried making conversation, talking about different swings and I even showed the one guy what I have been trying to work on while waiting on a tee box. WOW big mistake! It's like he thought i was trying to teach him something and again, i just felt like he totally misunderstood that i was just trying to be friendly. Apparently he ha no interest in that at all!

At some point, you just have to decide to tune guys like that out. So I just sort of gave up trying to be friendly. I mean, they were not at all accepting of me and didn't seem to care or even notice i was trying do that them for them.

Golf. It Takes all kinds

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother in law putted to within 18 inches. I told him that was good and to pick up. This DB told me I should make him putt it.

We are all missing the point of the thread - Gambit, you do know it's not real golf if you take gimmie even inside a foot. It's cheating, and not real golf. No one on GolfWrx has ever picked up a 1ft put, let alone post that score for handicapping purposes.good.gif

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1329235427' post='4283707']
This is really strange because sunday my wife and i went out and we were really happy to just be able to spend time together, we knew the course would be busy, but we figured that was OK, we really just wanted to go out and have some fun and spend time together. I have been working on something in my swing lately and haven't had a chance to take it to the course so this was going to be great to see if i could implement what i have been trying to learn

Anyway early in our round we got paired up with I thought were two nice guys. I had seen them hit a few shots and I thought they were pretty good players from what i saw. I felt a little bad because my swing changes were not going well and i was hitting some really bad shots i normally don't hit. i could sense VERY quickly these two were judging me and feeling superior. But My wife was really hitting it good and i was happy for her so i sort of just brushed off there negativity and decided that there is no way I was going to give up on my new swing figuring the course was packed and no one was moving anyway.

I was just really disappointed with our pairing because by the 5th or 6th hole we played with them, they weren't even really hiding the disdain they were feeling for me. It made me very uncomfortable they way the brooded about. Like i was somehow stopping them from getting their tour card right there! I was in the fairway once and I could see that on the next hole, there was a group in the fairway and one on the tee already as the group in front of us was making their way off the green. I hit a horrible shot BUT i finally felt what I had done wrong, so I threw done another ball and Hit it. This isnt something I wouldn't normally do if we were moving along but there was just no where to go. Well they acted like i shot their dog. Just giving me the eye like i didn't even deserve to live.

But i tried making conversation, talking about different swings and I even showed the one guy what I have been trying to work on while waiting on a tee box. WOW big mistake! It's like he thought i was trying to teach him something and again, i just felt like he totally misunderstood that i was just trying to be friendly. Apparently he ha no interest in that at all!

At some point, you just have to decide to tune guys like that out. So I just sort of gave up trying to be friendly. I mean, they were not at all accepting of me and didn't seem to care or even notice i was trying do that them for them.

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

I bet none of theses "hating" threads actually happen. Just something theses people dream up while driving home to their mothers house in their p**** compensating sports cars. "I wonder what I can post on the forum tonight that will provoke a reaction or just get people to agree with my superiority over everyone else I play golf with"

If they really had a problem then they should have the balls to say something to "that guy". But no, they suffer in silence and vent on golf wrx.

Bollox to them all, I say!

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1329245226' post='4284977']

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

I bet none of theses "hating" threads actually happen. Just something theses people dream up while driving home to their mothers house in their p**** compensating sports cars. "I wonder what I can post on the forum tonight that will provoke a reaction or just get people to agree with my superiority over everyone else I play golf with"

If they really had a problem then they should have the balls to say something to "that guy". But no, they suffer in silence and vent on golf wrx.

[/quote]

You're right. I made all of this stuff up because I just wanted to get a reaction and I had the time imagine all of this. Are you a moron? Yeah I suffered quietly. Didn't I say his wife was nice, so why would I want to hurt her feelings. Even though the guy is a tool, much like you, I have no intention of hurting his feelings because he is who he is. Now if he would have just been f****** rude about something then I'd say something or just pop him on the spot depending. As for you, you can go eat a bowl of s***.

@Kymar - Did I ever say I was rude to the guy. Hell, I even commented on good shots, recoveries, putts, whatever. I even tried to joke around with the guy.

I mean, damn, can't even vent without someone chiming in their two worthless cents anymore. No story is believeable, but I'm sure Matt the douchebag, has a SS of 125 or puts a PW from 190 out or has to tip an extra stiff shaft 6 inches to play. Go f*** off, mate.

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

[/quote]

You're clearly new here.

I'm not particularly fond of the rant threads, but I get it. Most people can relate. You don't have to be that guy though - just hit the back button and find something else.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329246613' post='4285123']

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

[/quote]

You're right. I made all of this stuff up because I just wanted to get a reaction and I had the time imagine all of this. Are you a moron? Yeah I suffered quietly. Didn't I say his wife was nice, so why would I want to hurt her feelings. Even though the guy is a tool, much like you, I have no intention of hurting his feelings because he is who he is. Now if he would have just been f****** rude about something then I'd say something or just pop him on the spot depending. As for you, you can go eat a bowl of s***.

@Kymar - Did I ever say I was rude to the guy. Hell, I even commented on good shots, recoveries, putts, whatever. I even tried to joke around with the guy.

I mean, damn, can't even vent without someone chiming in their two worthless cents anymore. No story is believeable, but I'm sure Matt the douchebag, has a SS of 125 or puts a PW from 190 out or has to tip an extra stiff shaft 6 inches to play. Go f*** off, mate.
[/quote]

Ha, you're clearly full of hate.

Everyone has had a similar experience to the one you posted but they've never felt the need to vent on a forum. Just chalk it up as a bad day and move on. Why can't people just talk more about their positive experiences on here.

And if you must know my PW goes 110 yards and I've got stock stiff shafts in my clubs. Nothing fancy.

Now you must excuse me, I need to eat my bowl of s**t before it gets cold.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='jon2' timestamp='1329247219' post='4285201']

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

[/quote]

You're clearly new here.

I'm not particularly fond of the rant threads, but I get it. Most people can relate. You don't have to be that guy though - just hit the back button and find something else.
[/quote]

Wow how patronising. What the hell has my newness to these forums got to do with it? Does my newness not qualify to have an opposite opinion to the OP? Does this mean I'm not allowed to voice my opinion because I'm a new member.

And by the way I've been visiting this site for years and it's only recently I've joined. So really I'm not that new.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1329248339' post='4285355']

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Everyone has had a similar experience to the one you posted but they've never felt the need to vent on a forum. Just chalk it up as a bad day and move on. Why can't people just talk more about their positive experiences on here.

And if you must know my PW goes 110 yards and I've got stock stiff shafts in my clubs. Nothing fancy.

[/quote]

Well, if I'm full of hate you'll be full of s*** after you're done. Enjoy.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329175947' post='4279187']
So yesterday, I was playing with my brother in law as a twosome. The course overbooked because there were a couple of tournaments. Anyways, by the time we get to the fourth tee there were a total of four groups waiting. Another twosome (a couple) asks if they can join us. I'm like sure, why not. Keep in mind that rate of play was already slow. So they join and it appears to be OK. That quickly goes south. Starting on that hole this guy, who apparently loves to hit OB, and then drop the ball some 100 yards from where he went out and act like he found his ball. He also hit practice shots on a day where play was backed up!!! This guy was also using a laser scope, but it didn't matter since he'd proceed to hit the ball about 40 yards in every direction. He even used to the scope from a greenside bunker or a couple of feet off the green. He also had some leveling device to measure the break on EVERY putt for him and his wife...I mean EVERY putt, 30 ft or 1 ft. My brother in law putted to within 18 inches. I told him that was good and to pick up. This DB told me I should make him putt it. Then he tries to give me advice on my driver swing when I'm out-driving him by 80 - 100 yards. We would have finished late, but this guy made is 6 hours of agony. If his wife wasn't so nice I would have told this dude to put an egg in his shoe and beat.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section...just needed to vent.
[/quote]

Did he wear a golf watch? Iron covers? Ball retriever? and lastly a stoke counter hanging off his belt loop?

OP i think you interpreted my post much more harshly than it was intended. My one and only point is that this is usually a matter of perspective. I am 100% certain your story is true and that the guy was annoying. I am sure you thought you remained pleasant and friendly throughout. maybe even willed yourself to do so. But I am sure the guy never actually thought your experience with him would make you speak so poorly of him and make judgements he would likely disagree with. Just as if he had said he found you to be rude, your reaction would likely be "what?!"

Again, just playing devils advocate and only because I have been where you were and it can suck Sometimes though we need to remember that not everyone we meet up with out there will be equal in ability, nor understand of etiquette, etc. Everyone perceives things differently.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1329253408' post='4285981']
OP i think you interpreted my post much more harshly than it was intended. My one and only point is that this is usually a matter of perspective. I am 100% certain your story is true and that the guy was annoying. I am sure you thought you remained pleasant and friendly throughout. maybe even willed yourself to do so. But I am sure the guy never actually thought your experience with him would make you speak so poorly of him and make judgements he would likely disagree with. Just as if he had said he found you to be rude, your reaction would likely be "what?!"

Again, just playing devils advocate and only because I have been where you were and it can suck Sometimes though we need to remember that not everyone we meet up with out there will be equal in ability, nor understand of etiquette, etc. Everyone perceives things differently.
[/quote]

Point well taken sir. Sorry if I came off harsh. My wife says I have a tendency to do that.

Wow, this thread has really gone downhill quickly. Let's all take a deep breath....

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329249064' post='4285445']
[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1329248339' post='4285355']

Golf. It Takes all kinds
[/quote]

Ha. Well played sir.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, if I'm full of hate you'll be full of s*** after you're done. Enjoy.
[/quote]

You seem like a pleasant person. I'm sure the husband and wife enjoyed their time with you.

How about finishing your round, appreciate the fact that you spent the day playing golf and move on. Who gives a s*** if they didn't live up to your expectations. I'm sure if she didn't mark her ball you would have complained about her walking in your line.

I'm going to assume you're some 18 year old kid who has no real life experiences. I hope you grow up and stop being a bitter dick. Life's too short for that.

@nochct - Actually, I'm not that bad. I've NEVER had a bad round or disliked anyone I've played with. In fact, everyone usually has good time and often times we, as in me and strangers, grab beers during and after the round. Also, I'm not an 18 year old...I was worse at that age. I'm 35 and have been through more that you could know, not that it matters. Am I bitter, nope, not at all. Am I dick, I certainly can be. I know for sure I'm a sarcastic a******. If I was a dick I would have gone out of my way to make them feel uncomfortable, but I didn't. I did my best to make sure I complimented them on good shots, made no comment on bad ones, and tried to joke around with them. Like I said, his wife was super cool. Him not so much. My only expectation was being able to finish in less than 6 hours. He slowed us up so much that we were no longer bunched up like we were before, and other groups started jumping us. I don't really care that he sucked. What I do hate is the common courtesy of keeping up as to not impede the pace of the rest of us or the groups behind us. I'm not really sure what your problem is when I just wanted to vent, but I didn't know that wasn't allowed anymore.

@mattthetaff - You don't have to eat that bowl...that's as close to an apology for that statement as it gets.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329258265' post='4286503']
@nochct - Actually, I'm not that bad. I've NEVER had a bad round or disliked anyone I've played with. In fact, everyone usually has good time and often times we, as in me and strangers, grab beers during and after the round. Also, I'm not an 18 year old...I was worse at that age. I'm 35 and have been through more that you could know, not that it matters. Am I bitter, nope, not at all. Am I dick, I certainly can be. I know for sure I'm a sarcastic a******. If I was a dick I would have gone out of my way to make them feel uncomfortable, but I didn't. I did my best to make sure I complimented them on good shots, made no comment on bad ones, and tried to joke around with them. Like I said, his wife was super cool. Him not so much. My only expectation was being able to finish in less than 6 hours. He slowed us up so much that we were no longer bunched up like we were before, and other groups started jumping us. I don't really care that he sucked. What I do hate is the common courtesy of keeping up as to not impede the pace of the rest of us or the groups behind us. I'm not really sure what your problem is when I just wanted to vent, but I didn't know that wasn't allowed anymore.

@mattthetaff - You don't have to eat that bowl...that's as close to an apology for that statement as it gets.
[/quote]

But I had to eat it ... It was getting cold!!!!

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1329260184' post='4286673']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, that got a laugh out of me. Hope it was good at least.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329261470' post='4286807']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not really... Tasted like sh*t

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329183126' post='4280195']
[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1329182944' post='4280171']
I dont see what the problem is. I get stuck with, and behind these types of guys almost every time I play, and most times a whole course full of these guys. I have several times tried to discuss it and remedy it with the guys here with some accruate information only to be repetedly told the problem is with me for having an expectation of an under 5 hour round. And since my playing partners and me can easily play a 2.5 to 3 hour round we shouldnt be allowed on the course it is only for guys like you have decribed So clearly it is all your falt not his.
[/quote]

You're right...what was I thinking for wanting an under 6 hour round.
[/quote]

Gambit, I suspect rightlefty was being sarcastic. If you have read his posts he has historically been very critical of slow play. Sarcasm is hard to pick up in text anyway.

Let me guess, was this round at Metro?

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='eroc' timestamp='1329261957' post='4286847']
[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329183126' post='4280195']
[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1329182944' post='4280171']
I dont see what the problem is. I get stuck with, and behind these types of guys almost every time I play, and most times a whole course full of these guys. I have several times tried to discuss it and remedy it with the guys here with some accruate information only to be repetedly told the problem is with me for having an expectation of an under 5 hour round. And since my playing partners and me can easily play a 2.5 to 3 hour round we shouldnt be allowed on the course it is only for guys like you have decribed So clearly it is all your falt not his.
[/quote]

You're right...what was I thinking for wanting an under 6 hour round.
[/quote]

Gambit, I suspect rightlefty was being sarcastic. If you have read his posts he has historically been very critical of slow play. Sarcasm is hard to pick up in text anyway.

Let me guess, was this round at Metro?
[/quote]

I know he was being sarcastic. I was too. Hard to get across on here though. It wasn't Metro...it was Roddy Ranch.

it seems that nocht1 never responds to rants well LOL.

OP... I've been in your shoes quite a few times playing almost daily at a public course. In Arizona, I played with these beer guzzling, ciggerette smoking, trash talking, yelling/screaming, early 20's idiots who kept making bets with each other. Neither of them broke 200, and one guy threw his clubs in the water on the 18th hole. I was like 8 years old at the time and i'll always remember those guys as having the least amount of etiquitte I have EVER seen.

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1329261809' post='4286831']
[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329261470' post='4286807']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not really... Tasted like sh*t
[/quote]

I heard it's better with a pint.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329262457' post='4286891']
I know he was being sarcastic. I was too. Hard to get across on here though. It wasn't Metro...it was Roddy Ranch.
[/quote]

Wow, Roddy? 6 hour round on a Monday? I guess it makes more sense if they were having tournaments but when I was living in the Bay Roddy was never that busy.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='eroc' timestamp='1329262797' post='4286935']
[/quote]

Wow, Roddy? 6 hour round on a Monday? I guess it makes more sense if they were having tournaments but when I was living in the Bay Roddy was never that busy.
[/quote]

It was on Sunday and they had a tournament. Even on weekend tourney days, I've never had to play for 6 hours ever.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1329262524' post='4286905']
it seems that nocht1 never responds to rants well LOL.

OP... I've been in your shoes quite a few times playing almost daily at a public course. In Arizona, I played with these beer guzzling, ciggerette smoking, trash talking, yelling/screaming, early 20's idiots who kept making bets with each other. Neither of them broke 200, and one guy threw his clubs in the water on the 18th hole. I was like 8 years old at the time and i'll always remember those guys as having the least amount of etiquitte I have EVER seen.

[/quote]

LOL...that explains a lot. Etiquitte and common courtesy, not only in golf, but everyday is really important to me. I KNOW I have bad habits like a potty mouth, but I try to really work on it especially around strangers and children. I totally get where you're coming from.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329263312' post='4286989']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It was on Sunday and they had a tournament. Even on weekend tourney days, I've never had to play for 6 hours ever.
[/quote]

I totally understand your frustration but I will not give you any sympathy. Why? Because on the public and semi-private courses around here in NYC/Long Island, 5 hour and longer rounds are pretty much the norm on a weekend day...and 6+ hour rounds are not uncommon either. Not to mention our fair share of tools and dbags. We just have to accept that as fact, otherwise, one would be in for quite a miserable day.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329263312' post='4286989']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've been to Roddy and Shadow Lakes for 6 hour rounds. Not fun.

That being said, I've also been to Roddy and gotten around (in a light rain) in just under 2 hours. I try not to play Roddy unless it's during the week-- too many old men that are playing from the back tees.

[quote name='GolfinDawg' timestamp='1329249436' post='4285495']
[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329175947' post='4279187']
So yesterday, I was playing with my brother in law as a twosome. The course overbooked because there were a couple of tournaments. Anyways, by the time we get to the fourth tee there were a total of four groups waiting. Another twosome (a couple) asks if they can join us. I'm like sure, why not. Keep in mind that rate of play was already slow. So they join and it appears to be OK. That quickly goes south. Starting on that hole this guy, who apparently loves to hit OB, and then drop the ball some 100 yards from where he went out and act like he found his ball. He also hit practice shots on a day where play was backed up!!! This guy was also using a laser scope, but it didn't matter since he'd proceed to hit the ball about 40 yards in every direction. He even used to the scope from a greenside bunker or a couple of feet off the green. He also had some leveling device to measure the break on EVERY putt for him and his wife...I mean EVERY putt, 30 ft or 1 ft. My brother in law putted to within 18 inches. I told him that was good and to pick up. This DB told me I should make him putt it. Then he tries to give me advice on my driver swing when I'm out-driving him by 80 - 100 yards. We would have finished late, but this guy made is 6 hours of agony. If his wife wasn't so nice I would have told this dude to put an egg in his shoe and beat.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section...just needed to vent.
[/quote]

Did he wear a golf watch? Iron covers? Ball retriever? and lastly a stoke counter hanging off his belt loop?
[/quote]

Mmmmm, golf watches.

Cool.