2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing with a tool

Just venting
So yesterday, I was playing with my brother in law as a twosome. The course overbooked because there were a couple of tournaments. Anyways, by the time we get to the fourth tee there were a total of four groups waiting. Another twosome (a couple) asks if they can join us. I'm like sure, why not. Keep in mind that rate of play was already slow. So they join and it appears to be OK. That quickly goes south. Starting on that hole this guy, who apparently loves to hit OB, and then drop the ball some 100 yards from where he went out and act like he found his ball. He also hit practice shots on a day where play was backed up!!! This guy was also using a laser scope, but it didn't matter since he'd proceed to hit the ball about 40 yards in every direction. He even used to the scope from a greenside bunker or a couple of feet off the green. He also had some leveling device to measure the break on EVERY putt for him and his wife...I mean EVERY putt, 30 ft or 1 ft. My brother in law putted to within 18 inches. I told him that was good and to pick up. This DB told me I should make him putt it. Then he tries to give me advice on my driver swing when I'm out-driving him by 80 - 100 yards. We would have finished late, but this guy made is 6 hours of agony. If his wife wasn't so nice I would have told this dude to put an egg in his shoe and beat.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section...just needed to vent.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329175947' post='4279187']
So yesterday, I was playing with my brother in law as a twosome. The course overbooked because there were a couple of tournaments. Anyways, by the time we get to the fourth tee there were a total of four groups waiting. Another twosome (a couple) asks if they can join us. I'm like sure, why not. Keep in mind that rate of play was already slow. So they join and it appears to be OK. That quickly goes south. Starting on that hole this guy, who apparently loves to hit OB, and then drop the ball some 100 yards from where he went out and act like he found his ball. He also hit practice shots on a day where play was backed up!!! This guy was also using a laser scope, but it didn't matter since he'd proceed to hit the ball about 40 yards in every direction. He even used to the scope from a greenside bunker or a couple of feet off the green. He also had some leveling device to measure the break on EVERY putt for him and his wife...I mean EVERY putt, 30 ft or 1 ft. My brother in law putted to within 18 inches. I told him that was good and to pick up. This DB told me I should make him putt it. Then he tries to give me advice on my driver swing when I'm out-driving him by 80 - 100 yards. We would have finished late, but this guy made is 6 hours of agony. If his wife wasn't so nice I would have told this dude to put an egg in his shoe and beat.

[/quote]

Sorry you felt that way as I rather enjoyed our round.
-D

Didn't realise that Eldrick went out for another round after finishing at Pebble.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

[quote name='rcubed3r' timestamp='1329177233' post='4279343']
Pics of his wife?
[/quote]

Nice one. :cheesy:

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

[quote name='teeitlow' timestamp='1329177251' post='4279349']

[/quote]

-D
[/quote]

:cheesy:

[quote name='teeitlow' timestamp='1329177251' post='4279349']

[/quote]

-D
[/quote]
OMG, this reply is cracking me up.

[quote name='rcubed3r' timestamp='1329177233' post='4279343']
Pics of his wife?
[/quote]

Well played sir :)

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329177575' post='4279371']
[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1329177098' post='4279333']
so you were unable to keep up with the tragically slow pace of play once they joined you?
[/quote]

6 hours bud. We started at noon. We had to play in the dark to finish.
[/quote]

do you know what keeping up with the pace of play is or did you just not feel like answering the question?

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1329179918' post='4279675']
[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329177575' post='4279371']
[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1329177098' post='4279333']
so you were unable to keep up with the tragically slow pace of play once they joined you?
[/quote]

6 hours bud. We started at noon. We had to play in the dark to finish.
[/quote]

do you know what keeping up with the pace of play is or did you just not feel like answering the question?
[/quote]

I thought I answered you sarcastic a** question. If you want further elaboration, we actually fell further behind the groups that were bunched up with us because he refused to pick it up so he can do whatever the hell he was doing. Do you need further elaboration? You're not the tool I played with are you?

I dont see what the problem is. I get stuck with, and behind these types of guys almost every time I play, and most times a whole course full of these guys. I have several times tried to discuss it and remedy it with the guys here with some accruate information only to be repetedly told the problem is with me for having an expectation of an under 5 hour round. And since my playing partners and me can easily play a 2.5 to 3 hour round we shouldnt be allowed on the course it is only for guys like you have decribed So clearly it is all your falt not his.

[quote name='KaBoom21' timestamp='1329179557' post='4279627']
[/quote]
You put a "tool" thread in the Equipment section! :lol:
[/quote]

I know right...that's actually what I was thinking to just classifying the posting in that section!

[quote name='dangerman77' timestamp='1329181898' post='4280015']
So yesterday, I was playing with my brother in law as a twosome....
[/quote]

I came for the story, I stayed to stare at your avatar.
[/quote]

She's my avatar and I look at posts and profile just to stare too.

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1329182944' post='4280171']
I dont see what the problem is. I get stuck with, and behind these types of guys almost every time I play, and most times a whole course full of these guys. I have several times tried to discuss it and remedy it with the guys here with some accruate information only to be repetedly told the problem is with me for having an expectation of an under 5 hour round. And since my playing partners and me can easily play a 2.5 to 3 hour round we shouldnt be allowed on the course it is only for guys like you have decribed So clearly it is all your falt not his.
[/quote]

You're right...what was I thinking for wanting an under 6 hour round.

I am always amazed when I end up being joined up with people like that. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever told them the error of their ways.

Which is exactly why if I am playing with someone and they offer up advice I have gotten to where I ask them to just keep their suggestions to themselves. "Thanks but my swing coach would not agree with that advice" usually nets an apology and they stop offering up unwanted advice.

As for the annoying slow habits, unfortunately this guy wasn't really slowing you down on such a busy day. So long, that is, as you were keeping up with the group in front of you. In the event you were falling behind the group in front it is an entirely different story. In those cases usually the Marshall will come around, say something to our group, and this gives me and my normal pard the ammunition to speed things up a bit.

In any case people who give unwanted advise usually do so because they have been allowed to - noone ever wants to hurt their feelers.

The irony is that the last time my wife and I played we were joined up with a couple of guys who did not like the idea of playing with a lady - was quite obvious from some of their comments when we came up. My wife knows I will stand up for her and I basically asked them if there was going to be a problem to which they said nope. On the second tee one of them goes up behind my wife and starts giving her pointers. I stood up and told him thanks but she has a swing coach and there is no sense in confusing her. He got offended and said "I was just trying to help". I once again was nice and said thanks but she has a coach to which he replied "Well he isn't very good". To this I asked him to see his card (as is PGA) and his pard started LOL. He sat back down and didn't offer any more advice. Funny thing was he was slicing almost every shot and yet he is trying to help her. And she was outdriving him almost every hole even without her being on front tees! (His pard at one point actually said he should ask her for pointers which was really funny)

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Gamebit:
Come on......you made this story up...it's so funny...lol.

98% of the time you get paired with nice people......it's the other 2% you find a joker like this......there are a lot of guys who think the are Joe pro and have no game to back it up.

It's funny how many people buy a range finder with no game. I play to a 6 handicap and my wife bought me a range finder a few years back and returned it in favor for gift certificates for golf rds.

I'm not that good that it really matters if the pin is 148 or 152 yds......I just pull out my 8 iron with the expectation to be on the green and hopefully near the stick.

So yesterday, I was playing with my brother in law as a twosome. The course overbooked because there were a couple of tournaments. Anyways, by the time we get to the fourth tee there were a total of four groups waiting. Another twosome (a couple) asks if they can join us. I'm like sure, why not. Keep in mind that rate of play was already slow. So they join and it appears to be OK. That quickly goes south. Starting on that hole this guy, who apparently loves to hit OB, and then drop the ball some 100 yards from where he went out and act like he found his ball. He also hit practice shots on a day where play was backed up!!! [b]guThis y was also using a laser scope, but it didn't matter since he'd proceed to hit the ball about 40 yards in every direction. He even used to the scope from a greenside bunker or a couple of feet off the green. He also had some leveling device to measure the break on EVERY putt for him and his wife[/b]...I mean EVERY putt, 30 ft or 1 ft. My brother in law putted to within 18 inches. I told him that was good and to pick up. This DB told me I should make him putt it. Then he tries to give me advice on my driver swing when I'm out-driving him by 80 - 100 yards. We would have finished late, but this guy made is 6 hours of agony. If his wife wasn't so nice I would have told this dude to put an egg in his shoe and beat.

[/quote]

I feel for you & the agony of playing with people like "Mr Gadget".The bolded part is hilarious.I see that all of the time by guys that hit the divot further than the ball.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

Here's a couple of more things I forgot. On one hole, he hit OB. I went to look for my ball and for some reason he dropped in the area I was when he wasn't near me. I asked him if my cart was in his line. He said yes so I moved from the far left side of the fairway, to the right rought. I had the windshield of the cart down and he hit the ball right past my head...from the other side of the fairway...WOW. Then on another hole, his wife had about 6 inches left for a putt and he made her mark it. On another hole his wife was looking for her ball. I said I think you're further up. She kept on looking past where his ball was and he was like "I don't think you're this far up. You don't hit that far". She went about 20 yards past him and found her ball. The look on face was priceless.

If I ever play with someone who lasers a pin from a greenside bunker, and then promptly pulls out a device to measure the break.. However the hell that works, I will pick my ball up, mark my X on it for the handicap and move to the next hole, sans the ******.

I've lucked out playing with some really cool people, and some that were just okay. I got paired with some late teen, early 20 year old kids once.. Those idiots were terrible at golf, complained about every bad shot, which got old. They picked up which was an answer to my prayers, and tried to con me into buying them beer in the clubhouse at the turn. I stopped at the 11th hole, and went and played 1-9 again without them that afternoon.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329188828' post='4281065']
Here's a couple of more things I forgot. On one hole, he hit OB. I went to look for my ball and for some reason he dropped in the area I was when he wasn't near me. I asked him if my cart was in his line. He said yes so I moved from the far left side of the fairway, to the right rought. I had the windshield of the cart down and he hit the ball right past my head...from the other side of the fairway...WOW. Then on another hole, his wife had about 6 inches left for a putt and he made her mark it. On another hole his wife was looking for her ball. I said I think you're further up. She kept on looking past where his ball was and he was like "I don't think you're this far up. You don't hit that far". She went about 20 yards past him and found her ball. The look on face was priceless.
[/quote]

This saga is TOO FUNNY!!!

You should try to track this guy down and sell this stuff as a reality TV series...lol.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1329188828' post='4281065']
Then on another hole, his wife had about 6 inches left for a putt and he made her mark it. On another hole his wife was looking for her ball. I said I think you're further up. She kept on looking past where his ball was and he was like "I don't think you're this far up. You don't hit that far". She went about 20 yards past him and found her ball. The look on face was priceless.
[/quote]

What a d-bag. This reminds me of the know it all from those annoying delta airlines/sky miles commercials.