TaylorMade RocketBallz vs. Adams Super XTD

Knockdown

Comparison of Performance of Retail Fairway Woods and Hybrids
I am interested in hearing how the TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour (Retail) Fairway Woods and Hybrids compare to the Adams Speedline Super XTD Fairway Woods and Adams Idea Super XTD Hybrids in regards to performance. I am interested in purchasing one of these two options and I really just interested in which one performs better. Thanks for any feedback on your experience comparing these two options.

TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 9.5 Matrix Ozik RUL 70X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White Hybrid 100 TX
Ping G400 3-Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 105 X
Ping i 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 125X
Ping Glide 50SS & 56SS Nippon C10S
Titleist Vokey Low Bounce K 60 Nippon Modus 3 125 X
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the strong loft theory is false. TMaG moved te cg placement higher, and closer to the face. This makes it hit lower and farther. They didn't dampen the face as much, again, a hotter face is the result. Lofts vary from club to club, but not over *1 of loft. RBZ is going to hit low, so consider this before buying

G30 LS 10.5 ADDI 6X 44.5"
G30 14.5*, 18* ADDI 7X 43, 42.5
G30 19* Tour 90 X
i25 3, 4 S55 5-pw DG TI S400 ylw dot
Glide 50s, 54ss, 60ts DG TI S400
Ketsch 35" straight arc
WITB Link

And as far as the Adams xtd hybrid & fairway go all I can say is WOW!!! I am a golf professional( I belong to the Iowa section of the PGA of America, NOT A TOURING PROFESSIONAL) in central Illinois so i have yet to get much time/practice using this years produc. I am also a Adams staffer.....but I am using a open mind while giving my 2 cents!!
1-Appearance: I personally like the silver finish w the black face because I feel it allows you to square/open the face up much easier.
2- FEEL: This club provides very solid feedback, I was worried it would lack feel since it provides such amazing distance. It is definitely not loud or harsh feeling (I have heard that the RBZ hybrid/fw wood has little feel, and what feel is there is hard)
3- PERFORMANCE: The BEST hybrid I have ever used!!! It obviously is very very long, which in a hybrid doesnt make it good. However what makes it the best is the fact that this club is very workable both left and right and with being able to hit it further you can for example hit a 23* instead of a 19* which means its easier for you to have the ball land softer and hit more greens cause its angle of descend is higher!! Last year I gamed the 18* a12 pro with the GD ad-di shaft and really enjoyed it. I have a swing speed of around 103 mph (obviously that can change +/- 3 to 5 mph depending on the day) and last year I could hit my a12 18* 210-215 yards.....this year im hitting the xtd 19* e the stock Fubuki alpha and today on trackman my average was 241 (average was based of of 20 balls)

All in all I feel that it is an incredible hybrid that will obviously gain you yardage over what your currently gaming, so I would encourage everyone to try it but make sure you get fit for the appropriate loft because if you currently have a 19* hybrid and go to your golf shop/store and grab a 19* xtd and your hybrid is to fit a gap ..... your gap has now gotten larger!!! I hope someone finds this useful and helpful, and w adding the xtd fw and hybrid to your bag you will look forward to hitting them when your stuck with that long 2nd shot on a par 5!!

[quote name='JakeDeZoort' timestamp='1331697664' post='4504063']
Ok, the strong loft theory is false. TMaG moved te cg placement higher, and closer to the face. This makes it hit lower and farther. They didn't dampen the face as much, again, a hotter face is the result. Lofts vary from club to club, but not over *1 of loft. RBZ is going to hit low, so consider this before buying
[/quote]
My Ping rep called to go over my order from today and I was telling her that I posted there findings about the loft of the RBZ and she asked of I would remove it cause she doesn't want it being considered as an attack when it was simply the true findings ....so I removed it out of respect for my sales representative!!

Our swing speeds and distances are similar. I hit my ancient TM Mid Rescue 19* approx 210yds and the 23* approx 195yds (carry dist only). Have you tried choking up on the Adams XTD super hybrid to hit shorter distances? Do you think we can dial in these lower distances with any level of consistency?

I was dreaming of just buying one of the Adams XTD hybrids to replace both of my hybrids. Heck, I could even replace my 3W if I can carry 240yds w/ the 18* like you. Would be awesome to carry a 12-club bag...
[quote name='cscgolfcoach' timestamp='1331698856' post='4504165']
... Last year I gamed the 18* a12 pro with the GD ad-di shaft and really enjoyed it. I have a swing speed of around 103 mph (obviously that can change +/- 3 to 5 mph depending on the day) and last year I could hit my a12 18* 210-215 yards.....this year im hitting the xtd 19* e the stock Fubuki alpha and today on trackman my average was 241 (average was based of of 20 balls)
[/quote]

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1331610708' post='4496347']
It's not fair to compare really since the XTD is Ti and the RBZ is steel. With that being said the XTD will win in distance hands down.
[/quote]

I have heard this here many times before but I do not understand your point.

Isn't that kind of like saying it is not fair to compare a persimmon 3 fw to a steel three fw? Sure it is fair, one is just better than the other, TM has access to Ti like Adams does, they just didn't use it.

If titanium is superior to steel why didn't TaylorMade make the face Ti like Adams?

Maybe I am dense, but I judge clubs on performance and the Adams wins plain and simple.

I have a love/hate relationship with golf.... I'm Married....

Driver: Cobra F9 9.0 Tensei Pro White 60 TX
3 Wood: Callaway XHot Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80 TX
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18* Tensei Pro Blue 90 TX
4 iron: Taylormade P790 Tensei Pro White 100 TX
5-PW: Mizuno 919 Tour Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
53*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
58*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
64*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
Putter: TaylorMade Tour Black Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

[quote name='oliversax' timestamp='1331700111' post='4504269']
Our swing speeds and distances are similar. I hit my ancient TM Mid Rescue 19* approx 210yds and the 23* approx 195yds (carry dist only). Have you tried choking up on the Adams XTD super hybrid to hit shorter distances? Do you think we can dial in these lower distances with any level of consistency?

I was dreaming of just buying one of the Adams XTD hybrids to replace both of my hybrids. Heck, I could even replace my 3W if I can carry 240yds w/ the 18* like you. Would be awesome to carry a 12-club bag...
... Last year I gamed the 18* a12 pro with the GD ad-di shaft and really enjoyed it. I have a swing speed of around 103 mph (obviously that can change +/- 3 to 5 mph depending on the day) and last year I could hit my a12 18* 210-215 yards.....this year im hitting the xtd 19* e the stock Fubuki alpha and today on trackman my average was 241 (average was based of of 20 balls)
[/quote]
[/quote]
Kenny Perry is not even carrying a Adams fairway wood to my knowledge he had the 15* & 17* xtd hybrids in his bag when he won his first Champions event!! Thats very impressive, and as far as choking up yes it helps but the ball still rockets off the face....and I have always fought hooking my hybrids when I try to gear down, largely in part to me decelerating!!! And if you demo this club YOU WILL BUY IT!! lol so if your not wanting to spene$300 dont do it, but if your looking for what I consider the best hybrid EVER ...put it n the bag!!

[quote name='TheNonnanJuggernaught' timestamp='1331702127' post='4504407']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1331610708' post='4496347']
It's not fair to compare really since the XTD is Ti and the RBZ is steel. With that being said the XTD will win in distance hands down.
[/quote]

I have heard this here many times before but I do not understand your point.

Isn't that kind of like saying it is not fair to compare a persimmon 3 fw to a steel three fw? Sure it is fair, one is just better than the other, TM has access to Ti like Adams does, they just didn't use it.

If titanium is superior to steel why didn't TaylorMade make the face Ti like Adams?

Maybe I am dense, but I judge clubs on performance and the Adams wins plain and simple.
[/quote]

I agree with you and the fact Adams wins. I was saying that Ti is going to hit the ball further than steel, at least it always has for me. If the RBZ was made of Ti it would be more of a fair fight!

RBZ Fairways are the real deal....can't wait to see some more comparisons. Love that the XTD's come with legit Fubuki's!

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

The new XTD hybrid is awesome. Haven't had a chance to hit 15* xtd against the RBZ 3 wood, but bought a 19* to try to replace the 5 wood. Played first round last weekend in the wind and it performed in every aspect beautifully. Hit it choked down a few times and loved it, hit it full a few times and just gets up and goes. It might be deeper than my 5 wood but easier to dial back to my 24* pro black that I play in lieu of 4 iron.

Looking forward to hitting the 15* xtd hybrid vs 14.5* xtd fairway vs rbz 3 wood and see what makes the bag.

Thanks for your input, Pro_D_Bomber. I'm excited to use the new Adams Super XTD Hybrid like I use my lob wedge, just choke up and inch or so for every 10 yards shorter, and swing the same way.

Now the question is, does that expensive stock graphite shaft fit my swing, a low-loading 103mph SS w/ driver? Accuracy is the key so I was hoping they would put a steel shaft in it, but not sure I can wait for the next version... need this in my bag now! man_in_love.gif

from Pro_ D_Bomber:

"Hit it choked down a few times and loved it, hit it full a few times and just gets up and goes. It might be deeper than my 5 wood but easier to dial back to my 24* pro black that I play in lieu of 4 iron. "

Have you tried choking up on the Adams XTD super hybrid to hit shorter distances? Do you think we can dial in these lower distances with any level of consistency?

[b]And as far as the Adams xtd hybrid & fairway go all I can say is WOW!!![/b] I am a golf professional( I belong to the Iowa section of the PGA of America, NOT A TOURING PROFESSIONAL) in central Illinois so i have yet to get much time/practice using this years produc. I am also a Adams staffer.....but I am using a open mind while giving my 2 cents!!
1-Appearance: I personally like the silver finish w the black face because I feel it allows you to square/open the face up much easier.
2- [b]FEEL: This club provides very solid feedback, I was worried it would lack feel since it provides such amazing distance. It is definitely not loud or harsh feeling (I have heard that the RBZ hybrid/fw wood has little feel, and what feel is there is hard)
3- PERFORMANCE: The BEST hybrid I have ever used!!![/b] It obviously is very very long, which in a hybrid doesnt make it good. However what makes it the best is the fact that this club is very workable both left and right and with being able to hit it further you can for example hit a 23* instead of a 19* which means its easier for you to have the ball land softer and hit more greens cause its angle of descend is higher!! Last year I gamed the 18* a12 pro with the GD ad-di shaft and really enjoyed it. I have a swing speed of around 103 mph (obviously that can change +/- 3 to 5 mph depending on the day) and last year I could hit my a12 18* 210-215 yards.....this year im hitting the xtd 19* e the stock Fubuki alpha and today on trackman my average was 241 (average was based of of 20 balls)

All in all I feel that it is an incredible hybrid that will obviously gain you yardage over what your currently gaming, so I would encourage everyone to try it but make sure you get fit for the appropriate loft because if you currently have a 19* hybrid and go to your golf shop/store and grab a 19* xtd and your hybrid is to fit a gap ..... your gap has now gotten larger!!! I hope someone finds this useful and helpful, and w adding the xtd fw and hybrid to your bag you will look forward to hitting them when your stuck with that long 2nd shot on a par 5!!
[/quote]

I cannot echo your statements any better...and this is also coming from another TMag junkie. Adams XTD is where it's at in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PrO_D_BoMbEr' timestamp='1331729376' post='4505199']

Looking forward to hitting the 15* xtd hybrid vs 14.5* xtd fairway vs rbz 3 wood and see what makes the bag.
[/quote]
any updates on this? Specifically how the xtd 14.5 compared to the rbz 3 wood with regard to launch and ease of hitting from the deck

Went in to get XTD left with RBZ Tour - RBZ Tour was much better for me. Both stiff, both 14.5. No question, longest with XTD carry was 263, longest with RBZ, 271. Ball speed was a little higher with RBZ ( 2 mph average. ). Found the mitsu shaft a little boardy. Actually liked the f12 better than the XTD. I was suprised at this.. Really wanted it buy XTD and tried to like it but the results werent there for me.

[size="7"][size="5"]"I FEEL YOUNG AGEEEN" lol.....
[/size]:bb: [/size]

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Ok, so after talking with my Edwin Watts guys yesterday about the XTD and how incredible it is, I was dying to try one. Been playing a ping g10 for 3 years and figured it was about time to upgrade. EW didn't have any demos and they only had one in stock with a regular shaft. So, first thing this morning I called PGA SS and they had one, which I had them put on hold.

I get there around lunch and hit a few balls with misc clubs and then grab my XTD. It's still in the wrapper so I can't hit it, but I decided to hit the RBZ tour. HOLY smokes this thing is getting ball speeds equivalent to my driver and carrying just as far! NO joke. On some swings the total distance is even longer than my driver! Carry was in the 245 range with total in the 260+ range.

So then I go buy the XTD (knowing I have 30 days to return it) and low and behold, the ball speed is the same and distance is similar. So, I took the XTD out to the range and this thing is incredible.

I don't think you can wrong with either, but the RBZ is $70 cheaper. I may be taking the Adams back (even though I love it) and getting the RBZ. Try em both if you can.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

I thought distances were very similar between the XTD and the RBZ but like the feel and performance of the shaft in the adams more as well as the aesthetics of the club in general. They are both long though. I have 106-108 driver swing and hit the 17* hybrid the same distance as my 3 wood. I can expand on distance if anyone cares and has a similar swing speed.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I hit the RBZ Tour TP 14.5° w/MATRIX® RUL® 70 and the Adams Super XTD 14.5° w/Fubuki AX 65 both in stiff flex at my local GolfSmith today. I found the Adams easier to hit off of the deck and had better results with the RBZ off of a tee. I ended up buying the Adams. Both were longer than my current TM V-Steel 13° w/GD YS6+ by 10 yards on average.

$300/10 yrds = $30 per yard gained

[quote name='Ironoak' timestamp='1332990204' post='4603369']
You guys with the higher swing speeds (105+mph) what flex did you go with in XTD? For me it seems the fubuki stiff is a tad more whippy than I expected. What are your thoughts on the shaft?

The XTD is an amazing club I got the 17* and it bombs!
[/quote]
I have a 105 ss and went with the stiff in my 17* also. I did it mainly because I have struggled with the 17 hybrid in the past getting the desired ball flight. I do play an x in my i15 20* for the exact opposite reason. I really like the Fubuki in the lower lofted XTD. I am even considering getting a 15* and having it bent to 14. More testing to come.