2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arthritis in thumbs (especially left) - thumb position in grip?

Ideas to help?
I'm a senior (61) low to mid 90's driver speed. I learned from a recent lesson that I've been holding my club too much in the palm, and too much grip pressure. All that makes sense and I'm working on that myself and with further lessons. I have another lesson tomorrow.

And it has been recommended that I (go back to) the left thumb down the shaft rather than slightly to the right, as recently adopted.

I've been practicing the suggestions on the range and played my first full round with these changes today with inconsistent results. Mostly I made some reversions back to "grip it and rip it" (too hard pressure) on some shots after the take-away. That is to be expected (inconsistent results first time in play). But my left thumb is (again) really sore tonight and I felt it big-time on some full shots from the fairway..

Any thoughts for grip, esp the thumb is appreciated.

I might mention that I've done what I can (I hope) with a fitting to minimize vibration with some new clubs. Midsize Winn PCI Lite Pistol grips, Miura PP 9003 irons with i-70 Aerotech shafts and (sadly) soft regular to senior shafts on TEE Trilogy 3 and 5 woods, Ping G20 hybrids. I hit my driver the best today, (and better than recently), R11s with standard regular shaft. The driver has always been my most consistent and straightest club.

I might also mention that a year ago it was recommended (several sources) at age 60 that I go back steel irons, and stiff everything else. Which I did. It has occured to me that I may have exacerbated a starting hand problem doing so. My left thumb particularly is much worse in the last six months.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1333677046' post='4661543']
I'm a senior (61) low to mid 90's driver speed. I learned from a recent lesson that I've been holding my club too much in the palm, and too much grip pressure. All that makes sense and I'm working on that myself and with further lessons. I have another lesson tomorrow.

And it has been recommended that I (go back to) the left thumb down the shaft rather than slightly to the right, as recently adopted.

I've been practicing the suggestions on the range and played my first full round with these changes today with inconsistent results. Mostly I made some reversions back to "grip it and rip it" (too hard pressure) on some shots after the take-away. That is to be expected (inconsistent results first time in play). But my left thumb is (again) really sore tonight and I felt it big-time on some full shots from the fairway..

[u]Any thoughts for grip, esp the thumb is appreciated.
[/u]
I might mention that I've done what I can (I hope) with a fitting to minimize vibration with some new clubs. Midsize Winn PCI Lite Pistol grips, Miura PP 9003 irons with i-70 Aerotech shafts and (sadly) soft regular to senior shafts on TEE Trilogy 3 and 5 woods, Ping G20 hybrids. I hit my driver the best today, (and better than recently), R11s with standard regular shaft. The driver has always been my most consistent and straightest club.

I might also mention that a year ago it was recommended (several sources) at age 60 that I go back steel irons, and stiff everything else. Which I did. It has occured to me that I may have exacerbated a starting hand problem doing so. My left thumb particularly is much worse in the last six months.
[/quote]

Sorry- I posted too early. I went back to the stronger grip thumb position yesterday slightly after discussion with my coach.

• 1 month later...

Have you considered cortisone injections?

A cortisone injection places a powerful anti-inflammatory medication directly at the site of the arthritis. This injection usually provides quick relief of symptoms, but the symptoms may return over time.

BTW... how are you getting along with the [b]Aerotech[/b] shafts?

Happy Trails,
Joe

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

[/quote]

I think you're right here. Changing to steel was probably the biggest source of the new pain. Going back to the graphite is the best thing you could have done. Unfortunately, depending on what damage might have been done, it could take a while to recover. And if the problem is arthritic in nature, it may never go away completely. Only you're doctor will be able to tell you if it's that or something that might benefit from some "rest".

It sounds like you've done all you can from the standpoint of equipment and lessons to adapt. The only thing I'd throw in is that you should ice it after you play. That might help reduce the inflammation.

Thanks. I had two cortisone injections and I tried acupunture twice this year. Neither really helped (in fact hurt a lot worse for a couple of days). Ice is a good thing for sure.

And so are my new shafts!!! Yes, my thumbs feel much better in the last month. I equate that to the change to the Aerotech shafts in my irons/wedges and less stiff graphite in the rest. Warmer weather probably has helped too, though I didn't see any thumb improvement really with my new sticks on a golfing holiday in Palm Springs a couple of months ago (right after I got them).

I've stuck to a slightly strong grip with the left thumb just to the right and that certainly feels better during and after playing. Also ensuring I keep the grip more in the fingers; I had the club a bit into the palm before and that was bound to put more pressure on the left thumb basal.

Unfortunately I (re)injured my lower back a month and a half ago so that hasn't helped my golf. Stretching, chiro and massage underway for the back. Massage is a big reliever for those who haven't tried it.

[quote name='Joe Duffer' timestamp='1337124983' post='4921308']
Have you considered cortisone injections?

A cortisone injection places a powerful anti-inflammatory medication directly at the site of the arthritis. This injection usually provides quick relief of symptoms, but the symptoms may return over time.

BTW... how are you getting along with the [b]Aerotech[/b] shafts?

Happy Trails,
Joe
[/quote]

MetaGrip® by Nea International/Push Brace, the Netherlands
[color="#FF0000"][size="4"]
http://www.handlab.com/products/MetaGrip-patient.asp?qsp[/size][/color]

The sophisticated solution to a common problem...
MetaGrip® is an adjustable, yet precise support for your thumb.

Advantages:
• The imbedded contoured metal insert offers custom fit
• Can be worn during work/household activities as well as [i][b]golf[/b][/i], tennis, etc.
• Is more durable than other orthoses for this same problem
• Resists abrasion
• Covers minimal palmar surface
• Can be worn under a glove
• Can be washed in a washing machine
• Will not deform if left in a hot environment
• Available in 3 sizes
[size="5"][i][b]
BTW... you [u]can[/u] actually use this brace while playing golf[/b][/i][/size]

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

Hmm...I have braces custom- sized (not wearing them much right now thank goodness) but they are the hard plastic susceptible to heat - which is a drag in warm climates. The ones I have also won't work with golf.

Thanks I've bookmarked it and will explore it further if I need another option.

[quote name='Joe Duffer' timestamp='1337199202' post='4926654']
MetaGrip® by Nea International/Push Brace, the Netherlands
[color="#FF0000"][size="4"]
[url="http://www.handlab.com/products/MetaGrip-patient.asp?qsp"]http://www.handlab.c...patient.asp?qsp[/url][/size][/color]

The sophisticated solution to a common problem...
MetaGrip® is an adjustable, yet precise support for your thumb.

Advantages:
• The imbedded contoured metal insert offers custom fit
• Can be worn during work/household activities as well as [i][b]golf[/b][/i], tennis, etc.
• Is more durable than other orthoses for this same problem
• Resists abrasion
• Covers minimal palmar surface
• Can be worn under a glove
• Can be washed in a washing machine
• Will not deform if left in a hot environment
• Available in 3 sizes
[size="5"][i][b]
BTW... you [u]can[/u] actually use this brace while playing golf[/b][/i][/size]
[/quote]

• 2 months later...

[u]Any thoughts for grip, esp the thumb is appreciated. [/u]

[/quote]

Something to think about is do you use a long thumb or short thumb grip?

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/short_thumb_grip.html

I also have arthritis in my hand joints and have found that a short thumb grip decreases the amount of post-round pain. Just a thought.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

+1 on the short thumb. I have extreme arthritis in my finger joints to the point that before I start I usually can't even close the fingers enough to grip the clubs. takes a couple of minutes of exercising to get them mostly close.

But my grip is very similar to what is illustrated in the above. And I have almost zero hand pains from playing. And I've never had thumb pain. Elsewhere, certainly, it gets so bad in the feet and ankles that I have to take hydrocodone just to walk when playing. But the thumbs never a problem. Both thumbs are slightly offset.

Of course, I've been using graphite shafts for years on everything except the wedges. Tried them on wedges and have mixed feelings there but that's another discussion entirely.

[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1345147647' post='5484332']

[u]Any thoughts for grip, esp the thumb is appreciated. [/u]

[/quote]

Something to think about is do you use a long thumb or short thumb grip?

[url="http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/short_thumb_grip.html"]http://www.golftoday...thumb_grip.html[/url]

I also have arthritis in my hand joints and have found that a short thumb grip decreases the amount of post-round pain. Just a thought.

BT
[/quote]

Thanks. I do now use the short thumb and withshaft changes etc all is good!