2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

First time to Bandon Dunes on Sunday. What to expect?

TYSHYNE

Bandon Dunes, Where art' tho?
Scored a KILLER deal to stay at Bandon for 2 nights and 4 rounds of golf. Leaving Sunday (8 hour drive), playing 36 holes Monday (Bandon dunes in the morning and Pacific Dunes in the afternoon) then making the 8 hour trek back home on Tuesday morning (this could change if it becomes a solo trip, more golf for me!). What should I expect? I've never been to a resort like Bandon (if there even is one) and I am a little overwhelmed as this all has happened so fast.

HELP! :help:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky you! I haven't been back in 3 years as I wait for Old Mac to be at least a couple of years old.

- Prepare for any sort of weather. Bring your best rain gear regardless of the forecast. Expect wind, which is an understatement.

- Bring a camera.

- Be ready for your jaw to drop as you are playing Bandon Dunes and you get to the hole that opens up to the ocean. It's an unforgettable experience. That's when you know you've "arrived". Also #16 on BD will take your breath away. Any hole on the ocean for Pacific Dunes is fantastic too.

- *Try* to relax as you play. That said, it's hard because the place is really magical and you can't help but feel excited just being out there.

- Practice your bump-n-runs or else play your normal pitches and lobs well short. The local joke is that the greens are "moss on concrete". They roll sooooo true but it is hard to stop a ball. Your ProV1 will play like a 2 piece ball if you are not used to links golf.

- Hit the hot tub at the main lodge before you make the long haul back.

- Expect your score to be about half your handicap higher and don't feel bad. Although it's a resort, the courses are definitely not resort golf.

- Don't expect anything but golf related amenities.

- Expect a great staff and the normal Oregon hospitality. There's no reason to be stressed out there and it shows with everyone.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

You scored 4 rounds of golf but are only playing two?

Bandon is an unreal experience, be prepared to be surrounded by happy golf junkies.

The greens are not really receptive to lob shots, you have to use your imagination and a lower lofted club to play bump and runs. Nothing wrong with using a putter from 50 yards off the green.

You can aim to land your approach shots short of the green and they will bounce up, anything that lands in the middle of the green could go over the back even if you are a high spin player... Depends on the course conditions.

If I were you, I would leave before dawn and try to get to Bandon with some sunlight left so you can hit the range and practice green. If you are able to play the par 3 practice course you will have a much better feel for what you're in for the next day.

I used to live in Port Angeles and it is a good haul to Bandon, but oh so worth it! (I actually drove the coast road both times, which takes a lot longer than 8 hours)

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

As part of a sales incentive, I was able to play at Bandon Dunes last week. We played Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails the first day, then Bandon Dunes the next morning. We used caddies for the first round. That's a good idea as they will give you hints on how to play this brand of golf. The caddies will hand you a putter when you're 30 yards off the green. Many of the green side bunkers are punitive. Avoid them!

Interestingly, the caddies told us that Bandon Trails was their favorite course. The Trails course is slightly more protected from the wind and is a wonderful course. The fairways aren't lush on any of the courses. Fairway woods require precision due to the tight lies and the often unlevel position. You'll find yourself clubbing up and down 1 or 2 clubs in a matter of minutes. Personally, I found it worked best (except against the wind) to play one less club on most approaches. The shot will roll. Too much club and you're gone baby gone.

The resort, itself, is dedicated to taking care of golfers...and they do it so well. McKee's Pub is warm and friendly. We ended up there both nights. The food is good and the Manhattans are appropriately over-sized to help you forget the aforementioned green side bunkers.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1335902908' post='4825932']
The resort, itself, is dedicated to taking care of golfers...and they do it so well. McKee's Pub is warm and friendly.
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth. As I mentioned in my post above, when you get to Bandon you will be surrounded by golf nuts - I think that is one of the place's best qualities. It doesn't feel like a resort, it feels like a mecca. Everywhere you go you will be surrounded by people wearing rain pants and Titleist caps. Everyone is like a kid in a candy store. Sitting in the bar nursing a beer watching windblown, possibly rainsoaked people putt out on the 18th green and then come in beaming with smiles is a great experience.

The only course I have yet to play is Bandon Trails.... sounds like I need to get there ASAP!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Guys, just returned from the trip. 9 hours down (I'm just north of Seattle) on Sunday. Arrived around 5:30PM and immediately realized I was in golf city USA. Im not sure I've seen as many men driving Mercedes and BMW's in my life and to top it off they were giddy as a school girl running all around the resort, as was I. Because I scored such a killer deal (thank you BST) I was able to bring a friend last minute at no cost to him (I'm nice like that :) ) we hit the immense practice facility that evening and just were really in awe of the whole thing.

After a late night of drinking and asking ourselves "are we really here?" We woke at about 4:45 and were plenty early for our 8:00AM tee time at Bandon Dunes. We got a real treat for weather in the morning, 20 mph gusts, raining sideways, and just nasty. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed every second. Shot a fantastic (for me) front and played decent on the back to cap the round. The course was beautiful and I will never forget the first sight of the ocean on hole 4.

Back to the room for hot showers then to Pacific for lunch and await our 2:00 tee time. Got paired with a group with a caddy who was Awesome! Made the round a ton easier and was just a great human being, as many of the staff at Bandon were. This round the weather was dramatically different. Skies really cleared and it made for an entirely different experience. Unfortunately I played about as bad as I possibly could, but as we hit about the 4th hole I was calmed by the beauty of the course.

After we had our 36 in I looked at my watch to see it was 6:00PM. I said to myself, "you are only here for me day, you have daylight, GO!" Straight to Old Mac on the shuttle. We ended up getting 14 in and Felt like the world was ours out there. Old Mac was cleared and just felt "magic" as we golfed our 50 holes. I came within 2 inches of my first ACE on hole 5 and even though I'm in pain today it was so worth getting that extra time/course in.Also, thanks to the Marshall who gave us a cart ride in, I'm not sure we wouldn't of doubled over of exhaustion if we had to walk lol.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Every bit was true. My recommendations: Practice your bump and runs, Eat and drink at McKee's Pub, get your free golf after 36 if your body can manage, Enjoy the course(s). I caught myself getting upset over a terrible shot, then I took a step back and gazed at the rolling hills and pacific ocean. Hard to be upset enjoying scenery like that. :partytime2:

Another Bandonista is born. Great write up. Brings back memories of my first time...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Glad you had fun with the cert........I wish I would have been able to use it but the proceeds from the original sale are "banked" for an eventual 36 holes up there.

[quote name='TYSHYNE' timestamp='1335933058' post='4829592']
Guys, just returned from the trip. 9 hours down (I'm just north of Seattle) on Sunday. Arrived around 5:30PM and immediately realized I was in golf city USA. Im not sure I've seen as many men driving Mercedes and BMW's in my life and to top it off they were giddy as a school girl running all around the resort, as was I. Because I scored such a killer deal (thank you BST) I was able to bring a friend last minute at no cost to him (I'm nice like that :) ) we hit the immense practice facility that evening and just were really in awe of the whole thing.

After a late night of drinking and asking ourselves "are we really here?" We woke at about 4:45 and were plenty early for our 8:00AM tee time at Bandon Dunes. We got a real treat for weather in the morning, 20 mph gusts, raining sideways, and just nasty. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed every second. Shot a fantastic (for me) front and played decent on the back to cap the round. The course was beautiful and I will never forget the first sight of the ocean on hole 4.

Back to the room for hot showers then to Pacific for lunch and await our 2:00 tee time. Got paired with a group with a caddy who was Awesome! Made the round a ton easier and was just a great human being, as many of the staff at Bandon were. This round the weather was dramatically different. Skies really cleared and it made for an entirely different experience. Unfortunately I played about as bad as I possibly could, but as we hit about the 4th hole I was calmed by the beauty of the course.

After we had our 36 in I looked at my watch to see it was 6:00PM. I said to myself, "you are only here for me day, you have daylight, GO!" Straight to Old Mac on the shuttle. We ended up getting 14 in and Felt like the world was ours out there. Old Mac was cleared and just felt "magic" as we golfed our 50 holes. I came within 2 inches of my first ACE on hole 5 and even though I'm in pain today it was so worth getting that extra time/course in.Also, thanks to the Marshall who gave us a cart ride in, I'm not sure we wouldn't of doubled over of exhaustion if we had to walk lol.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Every bit was true. My recommendations: Practice your bump and runs, Eat and drink at McKee's Pub, get your free golf after 36 if your body can manage, Enjoy the course(s). I caught myself getting upset over a terrible shot, then I took a step back and gazed at the rolling hills and pacific ocean. Hard to be upset enjoying scenery like that. :partytime2:
[/quote]