Tips on a Classic Ping

golfluvzme

Scottsdale Anser in the rough, very rough
I have a friend who sells out of a local swap meet. He sells everything from CB radios to tools to golf clubs. He came into this putter, somehow and needs some tips on what to do the finish. I know that the pat anser( ;) is to "LEAVE IT ALONE!" But, the market isn't that strong, right now, and he is itchin' to have it look its best.
I thought that he might be best to take it to the PING factory, locally, and see what they could do with it, but I trust my fellow WRX'ers, just as much.
The putter looks to have been gathering moisture for the past years and is spotted, all over. I don't think that there are carry dings on it, just the gross discoloration all over it.
The original shaft and I believe grip are still on it, even.
My initial reaction was to make an offer on it, but he is thinking way out of my range.
Let me know what my WRX experts think. The more opinions, the better. You can't say that on alot of forums, eh?
Thanks,
LaMont in AZ

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here's my thing with the Pings. Where the putter was made/stamped is about last on my priority list. It's very probable that this is attributed to a lack of Redwood and Scottsdales in my collection, but not really. In my eyes this putter is far too corroded to be a museum piece, and too far gone/replaceable to be a gamer. To get that putter looking nice again, too much of it will be lost rendering it of no value. The cavity stamping will probably be illegible when all is said and done as well as it appears that there is much more to the damage that surface discoloration. And from a player standpoint, there are much better alternatives that could be had for less; Scottsdale remake, BeNi and BeCu Scottsdales, ti-insert Isoforce (same headshape), and even the standard MgBz Scottsdale. Were this the only itineration of the Scottsdale Anser...definitely worth the salvage, but that is not the case. As this is not your putter LaMont, I would not give it another thought. Great non-pickup on your part. ;)

:hi:

What ever you do LaMont, do not send it to Ping. They really messed up my Dalehead Anser back in 2001. Thank goodness for Bobby Grace and the work he did to it. This was before Bobby's current work with MacGregor. I would recommend that you contact Dalton Davies (Pongman) and see what you can do. He is a leading authority in Ping putters.

http://www.pongman.com/

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Robo,

It is funny that Dalton was the name you tossed out. The gentleman who owns the putter knows almost nothing of golf. When I first saw what he had, someone had given him a name of an expert on Ping putters.................Dalton Davies. I knew of him and told the guy to give me a few days to see what I could dig up.

It looks alot worse in pics than in person. But, it truly isn't a show piece.

Would Coke-ing it take off the discoloration? I have never done that to a putter and would hesitate to put a Scottsdale Anser in a bowl of Coke.

Let me know on that one, if you have a chance,

LaMont in AZ

Can't you send it back to Ping and let them tumble it?

Coke does work very well as well. Used to have a set of the ISI BECU Irons. All you had to doak was soak them for 2 hours and they would look good as new (cool):):cheesy: Let us know how it all turns out LaMont :drins:

-CHRIS-

I may recommend the coke for a couple hours and see just what it does. It doesn't seem like the classic value is going to be hurt, as rough as the finish is, currently.

I told him if it were mine I would take it right to the PING factory, only about a 45 minute drive from my house. If anyone can treat it with kid gloves, I would hope that they would be the ones. Not sure, though, from RobotDoctor's experience. I think if you walked it in and spoke to the repair dept, in person, you would stand a better chance at getting the desired result.

I won't see the guy for another week, so I'll leave this post and see what else we can drum up for opinions.

Thanks for the replies, it is just what I was hoping for,

LaMont in AZ

Lamont here's what you do...

I had an Anser just like that in just about as bad of shape. Soak it in a bowl of vinegar, yes vinegar, for a day or two. Then take a light brush and all that dirt and rust will come right off while you run it under water. If you have a Dremel with a brush attachment that works even better. You'll be left with a nice bright copper finish. (cool)

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

Ok, will someone explain "the coke thing" to me? Is it good for all clubs for a general cleaning, or just for refurbishing? example, my new rac OS2's?

Sorry for the threadjack, but I just can't learn without asking!!

It takes rust off of raw clubs. And usually takes off finishes like black oxide and brings it back to the raw metal state. It won't work with chrome, nickel, or anything like that.

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

Earlier this year I picked up an older Manganese Bronze 85068 Anser. It was very patina'd and even had some powedery spots. Well since I picked it up for $20 and it has no collectable value, I left it sitting in a bucket of Coke all night.

The next morning it was much lighter in color but not shiney. I then hit it with a Scotchbrite pad and and finished cleaning it up.

It turned out looking fairly new but not shiney bright. I've seen pictures of those super shiney and I think they have been coked and then polished. I've also heard about the vinegar soak as well.

I've since picked up two more Bronze Ansers, 85029 and 85020 and will not clean those.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

it takes the rust off

The pitting on the head isn't rust. Manganese bronze oxidises and gets that lovely pupley/brown patina. Beryllium copper oxidises too. Coke just kills the oxide on the suface and 'cleans' the metal to a shiny finish again.

For me, the appeal of old Pings (I've got some BeCu Eye 2s and some BeCu Eye 2+ and some old manganese putters) is that patina. Dunking it in Coke will take that away, and with it, the clubs appeal. Just my opinion.

If you want to use it as a gamer, then fine. Dunk it. Or just play it as it is. But, for any semblance of a collectors or display appeal, its aged look is essential for me.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

just let me say this, if he is going to sell it or have it as a collectors piece DO NOT touch it, especially the grip and shaft. a lot of the value of these putters lies in everything being original and that shaft and grip are both original. as for the finish i would leave it as well. the patina is not perfect but these are supposed to dull and darken over time. if he is going to use it i suggest a tennis wrap over the original grip and that would make it feel new w/o compromising the original grip, also if he is going to play it and want the rust off coke is good and you can also try naval jelly to remove rust. also keep the shaft and DO NOT try to pull it unless you have pulled ping putter shafts before b/c you can ruin it if you dont know what you are doing. they have a metal ball at the bottom of the shaft to hold it in place and it makes it tricky. btw what did he pay for it ? this one is actually in pretty good shape considering there are not many major dings on it which is usually the case.