2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

San Diego Golf (am I missing something?)

ben23

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1341927305' post='5248858']
Is Carlton oaks any good?
[/quote]

It's a really good layout (Phil Mickelson cut his teeth there).

They lost the greens last year (self inflicted) and I've heard it's not back in shape yet.

Steele Canyon (play the Canyon/Ranch nines) is a really good golf course that people don't talk about.

Golf Club of California is a really good track.

Pala Mesa (right next door to GC CA) used to be really good (tight!) but I haven't played there in a long time.

If I'm going all the way to Temecula, I'm driving past Temecula Creek Inn and going to Red Hawk.

I've played TCI twice and was completely unimpressed both times.

And if you get a chance, get out and play Barona after 11:00 it's $64 and well worth it. I've never had to wait past 11:30, and most times get out by myself, and can either fly or practice at my own pace. Usually very easy to play through any foursomes.

It can get hot out there in the summer, but worth the trip.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='speeder757' timestamp='1343111445' post='5339908']
Just curious .... What are the top 5 private courses in the San Diego area and how much are the initiation and monthly fees?
[/quote]

I'll give it a shot. I've played about a half dozen private courses in the area, so here are my impressions.

1. Bridges - Initiation Fee is $300k, monthly $1600, and you have to own property in the Bridges development to join (a lot starts at about $1M)
2. Del Mar - Initiation fee $125k, monthly $1200
3. Rancho Santa Fe - Initiation fee $40k, monthly $800 (last I heard), but you have to own property in the RSF Covenant (starting price for a tear down home $1.5M)
4. Farms - Initiation $10k, monthly $750 (Doing a membership drive; it's a golf-only club with no other amenities)
5. San Diego CC - Initiation ???, monthly ???

Others for honorable mention:[list]
[*]Golf Club of California - Initiation Free, Montly $525 with current special (probably best deal in the area)
[*]La Jolla CC - OK course, great locale, very very hard to join
[*]Crosby - $45k initiation, $1000 monthly
[*]Santa Luz CC - Initiation $100k, monthly $1200
[*]Fairbanks Ranch CC - Initiation $45k, monthly $1100
[/list]
All of the above costs are what I've been told directly by clubs or from "knowledgeable" sources; if you have better data please correct me!

Another fun course and kind of a secret is San Vicente in Ramona/ San Diego Country Estates. Keep going past Barona Creek into the next valley and hang a right at the light. My folks live across the street from the 1st green. Nice Ted Robinson design that's had alot of improvements over the last 3-4 years. Greens can be a bit bumpy in the summer ( they keep them a bit furry for the heat), but once the fall rolls around they get really nice.
grreen fees aren't bad and it's very walkable Play from the back and use every club in the bag if there's any wind. Really a nice variety of holes.
It's a resort course open to public play, and has a great deal on membership if you are a homeowner in the SDCE. Something like 500 initiation and 175 a month unlimited golf and club amenities. They were extending it to non homeowners for ahile, but I don't know if that's still available. You might want to check it out depending on where you live.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1343274498' post='5355424']
[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1341927305' post='5248858']
Is Carlton oaks any good?
[/quote]

It's a really good layout (Phil Mickelson cut his teeth there).

They lost the greens last year (self inflicted) and I've heard it's not back in shape yet.

Steele Canyon (play the Canyon/Ranch nines) is a really good golf course that people don't talk about.

Golf Club of California is a really good track.

Pala Mesa (right next door to GC CA) used to be really good (tight!) but I haven't played there in a long time.

If I'm going all the way to Temecula, I'm driving past Temecula Creek Inn and going to Red Hawk.

I've played TCI twice and was completely unimpressed both times.

And if you get a chance, get out and play Barona after 11:00 it's $64 and well worth it. I've never had to wait past 11:30, and most times get out by myself, and can either fly or practice at my own pace. Usually very easy to play through any foursomes.

It can get hot out there in the summer, but worth the trip.
[/quote]

Played Carlton oaks today. Greens are pretty much all back, with the exception of 2 that were still a work in progress.

This course is dang tough....but not really the kind of tough that i enjoyed. This was Pete dye mid 80s, i would guess....it was during the period where his courses were particularly manufactured and in your face. The back tees are flat ridiculous....slope of like 148. I played the blue, which was like 139.

I only payed $42, honestly wouldn't want to pay more than that. Conditions are pretty iffy. They had a gateway pro tour event there, going on before i played, whatever that is. Greens were rolling pretty good.

If you like target golf, with tight long holes with small greens, you might like it, but not really my cup of tea.

Courses like this are why some people don't like dye courses. Seems like in later years his designs were much improved and more playable. I've played many his tracks that are great.

I played madaras , aviara and mt Woodson on a golf trip and I though madaras was the best of the three . Aviara was in great shape but expensive and for the money mt Woodson was great . ( I like how they told us over and over this is a target golf course ). Also played the crossings which was very fun .
I know this is a little hike but talega in San clemente is fairly priced good course as well

[quote name='schwollo' timestamp='1343892752' post='5394816']
I played madaras , aviara and mt Woodson on a golf trip and I though madaras was the best of the three . Aviara was in great shape but expensive and for the money mt Woodson was great . ( I like how they told us over and over this is a target golf course ). Also played the crossings which was very fun .
I know this is a little hike but talega in San clemente is fairly priced good course as well
[/quote]

You liked "The crossings"..... the MOST poorly designed golf course in the history of man-kind? How about number 12 or 13 (I think)... the hole where you drive around the green back to the tee, then drive all the way back again. The costal commission screwed that course so bad. You know the bridge you crossed when you drove to #13..... that cost them $350,000, because they had to make a special bridge that would minimize sound disturbance for the frogs and small wild-life under it.

I heard that in its life time, it will NEVER make back the money they spent on it.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Wow, I'm glad to hear you comment about the Crossings. I keep seeing people on here recommend it, but I agree that it is a pretty miserable course. The layout has a lot of weird quirks, and the amount of concrete they poured for the cart paths just boggles the mind. Some of the green complexes feel like they've been designed by someone who never played golf but was told "undulations are good" but didn't understand what makes them good and how to place them.

It cost $62.8M to build. If you think of 30 year financing for the project, just the monthly payment they make is almost $15k PER DAY. If they put off 60 tee times a day (which is doubtful) with a full 4 golfers each that means about $60 from each player's green fees goes just to servicing the loan! Very poor business decision by Carlsbad.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1343937908' post='5397836']
[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1343936968' post='5397746']
Guys, is there anything decent near downtown SD? Will be there in a few weeks and want to play.
[/quote]

The only things very close are balboa park and riverwalk. Everything else is around 30 mins or so.
[/quote]

And Coronado, IF you can get on and don't mind slow play.

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1343918945' post='5395992']
[quote name='schwollo' timestamp='1343892752' post='5394816']
[/quote]

You liked "The crossings"..... the MOST poorly designed golf course in the history of man-kind? How about number 12 or 13 (I think)... the hole where you drive around the green back to the tee, then drive all the way back again. The costal commission screwed that course so bad. You know the bridge you crossed when you drove to #13..... that cost them $350,000, because they had to make a special bridge that would minimize sound disturbance for the frogs and small wild-life under it.

I heard that in its life time, it will NEVER make back the money they spent on it.
[/quote]

We played The Crossings because it was on the way back to LAX and a guy we got paired with at Torrey recommended it. After playing from SF down the coast it was a disappointing end to the trip (as was Torrey Pines to be honest). I didn't know any of the back story however it seemed so poorly routed as the quote above alluded to(albeit the land doesn't help). We concluded it was some rich man's folly. The buzzing of the electricity wires, 40ft above you on 18 was a hghlight.

Well after my visit, i tend to agree with the op title to this thread. Maderas and barona are really good, but neither exactly cheap. Other than that, it seems it's an hour drive from downtown to get a decent round at decent price. Steel canyon is nice as well, but again but real affordable unless you get a deal. Seems if you lived there and were hoping to be a weekend morning golfer, you are going to be at or above triple digits to play something nice. Carlton oaks is trying to still charge $85 on weekend prime time....which is ridiculous.

I loved San Diego itself though....would like to live there, but would probably need a new hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

What you fail to realize is that the consortium that financed the course (usually billioaires) don't have to pay any taxes on the money they have earned for at least 30 years, possibly 50 or more in terms of a golf course. It's called depreciation. Same goes with apartment complexes, hotels, motels, shopping malls and on and on and on.
Spending 60 million bucks on something with a life of 100 years that will bring you in a billion dollars over the same time frame and eliminate any tax burned you have as well as allowing you free golf for life is a HOBBY for the rich and infamous.
Plus when it is sold, say 30 years down the road, it'll sell for 250 million or more.
When you have it, you make it. When you have to make it, you better save it.
Stephen

There's a lot of good info that has already been said.
If you are looking for a cheap place to play, try Carmel Highlands (formerly known as Doubletree). It's pretty much across the freeway from Carmel Mtn. Not the best course around by any stretch, but weekday rates are pretty good through golfnow. I've been able to play right after lunch for under $30 w/ cart.
I normally play working man's courses (Vineyard, Meadow Lake, Torrey (resident rates), Carmel Mtn, Carmel Highlands, but have played most of the higher end courses around like Maderas, Barona, Aviara, Del Mar National, Morgan Run. You certainly get what you pay for - nicer amenities/conditions and faster pace of play, etc...

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

[quote name='Clambake' timestamp='1343336534' post='5360106']
[quote name='speeder757' timestamp='1343111445' post='5339908']
Just curious .... What are the top 5 private courses in the San Diego area and how much are the initiation and monthly fees?
[/quote]

I'll give it a shot. I've played about a half dozen private courses in the area, so here are my impressions.

1. Bridges - Initiation Fee is $300k, monthly $1600, and you have to own property in the Bridges development to join (a lot starts at about $1M)
2. Del Mar - Initiation fee $125k, monthly $1200
3. Rancho Santa Fe - Initiation fee $40k, monthly $800 (last I heard), but you have to own property in the RSF Covenant (starting price for a tear down home $1.5M)
4. Farms - Initiation $10k, monthly $750 (Doing a membership drive; it's a golf-only club with no other amenities)
5. San Diego CC - Initiation ???, monthly ???

Others for honorable mention:[list]
[*]Golf Club of California - Initiation Free, Montly $525 with current special (probably best deal in the area)
[*]La Jolla CC - OK course, great locale, very very hard to join
[*]Crosby - $45k initiation, $1000 monthly
[*]Santa Luz CC - Initiation $100k, monthly $1200
[*]Fairbanks Ranch CC - Initiation $45k, monthly $1100
[/list]
All of the above costs are what I've been told directly by clubs or from "knowledgeable" sources; if you have better data please correct me!
[/quote]

Those are really high prices..

For private courses I think Vista Valley CC is a great choice, a junior membership is $503 monthly including food and beverage minimum, with a $1k initiation fee, cart fees included.

For full discloser, I am an employee at the club, I do outside services and help manage their website, but I love playing the course whenever I can.

[quote name='batgeek29' timestamp='1342080119' post='5260988']
wow, what happened to Coronado? they let the place go or something? used to be nice.

i haven't been back home for in 3 years or so. haven't played coronado in much much longer.
[/quote]

Too bad. I played probably 12 to 14 years ago and it was nice then. Great views of the water.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

Just some info and love on San Diego CC:

~$9000 initiation
~$700 monthly, includes food and beverage minimum

great course, 7033 from the tips with 74.5 rating and 135 slope. one thing i cannot stress enough, most incredible greens I've ever played. the course is pretty flat and challenging, but the greens are [b]always[/b] rolling beautifully. range is nice has a fence up at about 250 yds but you are allowed to hit driver. very nice short game area with ability to hit up to 70 yard shots from a fairway lie. I've only been out there once but it was just such an entertaining and fair course. both of my fathers business partners are members out there so he plays out there a handful of times a year, always comes home amazed at the speed of the greens.

We live 30 minutes away from the course (right next to Torrey Pines), and are heavily considering becoming members at SDCC. The greens really are worth the drive and I would be out there all the time. If we do join, I'm sure I can take some of you guys out if you're in town for the rate of many of the other crummy courses out here! Great track if you get to chance to play, absolutely do it.

Taylormade M2 (10.5*) - Oban Kiyoshi White 75 (05 flex)
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 (14.5*) - Fujikura Speeder VC 8.0 (S)
Titleist 910H (19*) - Mitsubishi Ahina 90 (X)
Titleist 712CB (4-PW) - Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist SM4 (52*.12) - Dyanmic Gold X100
Titleist SM5 (56*-S) - Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist SM6 (60*-V) - Dynamic Gold S400
Kingston KP1 GSS (34")
Pro V1x

San Diego, CA

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1343402380' post='5364340']
My lord, so your pretty much saying there is no joining a private club for any normal people.
[/quote]

Those are actually cheap for So. Cal.. What you generally are forced to do to get a "club feel" is to join a preferred player program and hope that the discounted tee times, special events, and the early access to tee times provides enough of the "country club feel".