SkyCaddie - gonna toast it and get something else

Mini rant.

I've had my skycaddie (2.5) for a few years, like the unit but not there membership options.

I was in AZ in Feb. for a month and purchased the membership so I could utilize it down there, 4 months later I have to renew and buy my typical membership here and lose the option to use the U.S. membership that is supposed to last for a year. I asked them the question and they responded by telling me I should have purchased the most expensive option to utilize both. You have to go through support for any questions, so I asked them to refund me the remaining portion of the U.S. option that will never be used or why it wasn't deducted from my renewal and they didn't even have the courteousy to reply.

I'm done with them and will find either a smart app or another gps that doesn't milk you for your dollars.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that. I've usually just bought the state plan, and whenever I would go away on vacation, I would either have to ditch it and hope wherever I played had Cart GPS, or upgrade and pay the extra money for 2 weeks of out-of-state play. I tried once to see if they would let me have the US plan for a pro-rated amount per month, and it obviously didn't fly.

Since upgraded to a laser, and use a GPS app on my iphone.

To me the US plan is cheap enough to just get it all the time. I have the 3 year one and it averages out to less then 30 bucks a year!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='rodge' timestamp='1342460937' post='5286240']
I was a big fan of my Skycaddie for the first couple years of using it. I got a great deal on a Bushnell laser last year, and I will never go back to GPS, ever. I have found the laser to be far more reliable, and so much cheaper in the long run if you play a lot of different courses.
[/quote]

Same here. I had a Sky Caddie and got rid of it for the Bushnell V2 laser. The laser works great. When I had my Sky Caddie a friend had the same unit. We would stand side by side and compare readings and often they would be off (and sometimes off by a lot). When I do the same test with my laser (a friend has the exact same unit), they virtually always read the same. I like the fact that with the laser I can simply leave it in my bag and its ready to go no matter where I play. No computer to worry about and battery life is not an issue. The only down side to the laser I can see is it obviously doesn't work on blind shots over hills.

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1343091844' post='5338118']
Skycaddie is for hacks.
Bushnell is for players.
[/quote]

You can prove that? I have a SkyCaddie and a Callaway Diablo Octane laser. Have owned the SG 2.5, SG5 and SGX with zero issues in performance or customer service. Also have no issues with the laser. Both have their places for different situations but most of all it's individual preference. Has nothing to do with ability.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1343091663' post='5338096']
[quote name='rodge' timestamp='1342460937' post='5286240']
I was a big fan of my Skycaddie for the first couple years of using it. I got a great deal on a Bushnell laser last year, and I will never go back to GPS, ever. I have found the laser to be far more reliable, and so much cheaper in the long run if you play a lot of different courses.
[/quote]

Same here. I had a Sky Caddie and got rid of it for the Bushnell V2 laser. The laser works great. When I had my Sky Caddie a friend had the same unit. We would stand side by side and compare readings and often they would be off (and sometimes off by a lot). When I do the same test with my laser (a friend has the exact same unit), they virtually always read the same. I like the fact that with the laser I can simply leave it in my bag and its ready to go no matter where I play. No computer to worry about and battery life is not an issue. The only down side to the laser I can see is it obviously doesn't work on blind shots over hills.
[/quote]

If you have two GPS units near each other, they will interfere with each other, causing inaccurate readings and the inability for them to lock into a yardage.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1343091844' post='5338118']
Skycaddie is for hacks.
Bushnell is for players.
[/quote]

Juvenile remark!
I would love to use a lazer as I'm sure many would. But I can't hold it steady enough and have a virtical stignatism so I have problems using it even if it steady. So I use a GPS. Both have their place.... and both help in determining distances.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1343093497' post='5338354']
If you have two GPS units near each other, they will interfere with each other, causing inaccurate readings and the inability for them to lock into a yardage.
[/quote]

I've heard this before, but have always dismissed it as marketing-speak. Does anyone have any factual source that supports this?

ie, multiple GPS units on some of our fishing boats and we don't see this interference at all?

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

I've had nothing but problems with my SGXwifi. Im currently on my 3rd replacement and looks like I'm going to have to return this one as well. I didnt know this was the norm but the replacements they sent me are refurbished units. Should I accept this? I paid full price when they came out around Christmas time and I even bought the SkyCaddie extended warranty.
This last unit I received yesterday has smudges and scratches on the buttons and had golf courses from AZ (Im in IL).
Also, when I try and power it up and select course I want to play an "Exception Notice" screen comes up and I cant do anything with the unit.
I wont recommend a SkyCaddie to anyone and I'll never purchase a SkyCaddie product again.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Can't believe there are people who still use handhelds. Reminds me of people who held on to their Motorola Startac when smartphones came out. Cmon people, get yourself a smartphone app!!

Ive owned just about every handheld and then switched to Golfshot for iPhone for a whopping $29.95 and no need for yearly subscription services. It's fun, it's easy, it's accurate and its already sitting on a device you use everyday.

[quote name='3GWrX09' timestamp='1343993112' post='5400662']
I've had nothing but problems with my SGXwifi. Im currently on my 3rd replacement and looks like I'm going to have to return this one as well. I didnt know this was the norm but the replacements they sent me are refurbished units. Should I accept this?[/quote]

How long has it been since the first problem surfaced. If it is going on 4-6 months, send a certified letter to the CEO telling him you want a refund, and if you don't get one you have no other choice than to proceed to small claims for "breach of warranty".

Regardless of what their CS dept tells you, you don't have to put up with this kind of crap.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1343994585' post='5400696']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1343994335' post='5400688']
Can't believe there are people who still use handhelds.[/quote]

Lots of reasons for this you don't consider, not the least of which is no signal at my home course.
[/quote]

Where is your golf course, on Mars? Just kidding! Actually something I did not consider. Sometimes wish my course didn't have cell signal...would lessen the amount of idle chatter and text messages some do throughout the round.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1343994869' post='5400710']
[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1343994585' post='5400696']
Can't believe there are people who still use handhelds.[/quote]

Lots of reasons for this you don't consider, not the least of which is no signal at my home course.
[/quote]

Where is your golf course, on Mars? Just kidding! Actually something I did not consider. Sometimes wish my course didn't have cell signal...would lessen the amount of idle chatter and text messages some do throughout the round.
[/quote]

Just turn off the notifications in the phone settings.

Can't believe there are people who still use handhelds. Reminds me of people who held on to their Motorola Startac when smartphones came out. Cmon people, get yourself a smartphone app!!

Ive owned just about every handheld and then switched to Golfshot for iPhone for a whopping $29.95 and no need for yearly subscription services. It's fun, it's easy, it's accurate and its already sitting on a device you use everyday.
[/quote]

It has been well discussed on other threads why golfers will use a conforming golf GPS vs. a non-conforming smartphone app.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1343997052' post='5400804']

[/quote]

It has been well discussed on other threads why golfers will use a conforming golf GPS vs. a non-conforming smartphone app.
[/quote]

The last 2 tournaments I played we were told cell phones were banned - except in emergency so that rules out any app for me. Have zero issues with my SGX.

[/quote]

I've tried a few, they don't seem to work well for me. Either the drain my battery down, or the overhead views are not good, or they don't offer as detailed info as my upro, etc.

Hey I'm with ya, I'd love to find one that works as well as my upro. Not sure if I've tried golfshot, but I think I have. I will look again.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[/quote]

Sorry to disagree about the Golfshot and this is not a shot at Golfshot but using any app on the Iphone for golf is a pain in the rear. Poor visibility in sunlight. Have to swipe the phone everytime to bring up. Have to manually change holes. Hate it.

I've a SGS2 one of the early skycaddies. When I bought it SkyCaddie was not real forthcoming about about the subscription plan. I thought it was a one time purchase. WRONG! Put a bad taste in my mouth from the get go. And SkyCaddies customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Well at least they did. Quit dealing with them a couple years ago. Needed a new battery and they wanted an arm and a leg. Found one through a third party at half the price.
Got a Nikon/Callaway laser and do not miss the GPS at all.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1344000853' post='5400994']

[/quote]

I've tried a few, they don't seem to work well for me. Either the drain my battery down, or the overhead views are not good, or they don't offer as detailed info as my upro, etc.

Hey I'm with ya, I'd love to find one that works as well as my upro. Not sure if I've tried golfshot, but I think I have. I will look again.
[/quote]

Smartphone GPS apps are okay for some, and I'd use one in a pinch, but a dedicated device is just much better in so many ways.

Using an app on your smartphone to get the distance to the green while playing golf is a classic case of a guy holding a hammer and looking around for anything that looks like a nail. Bang Bang Bang.

You could probably putt with your smartphone instead of a putter if you've run out of things to do with your smartphone that it's actually suited for...

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1344006215' post='5401396']
Using an app on your smartphone to get the distance to the green while playing golf is a classic case of a guy holding a hammer and looking around for anything that looks like a nail. Bang Bang Bang.

You could probably putt with your smartphone instead of a putter if you've run out of things to do with your smartphone that it's actually suited for...
[/quote]

Fourmyle, your post made me laugh. The product linked below is a great caricature of your post.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/418526357/the-mark-perfect-harmony-between-golf-and-the-ipho?ref=live

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1343994451' post='5400694']
[quote name='3GWrX09' timestamp='1343993112' post='5400662']
I've had nothing but problems with my SGXwifi. Im currently on my 3rd replacement and looks like I'm going to have to return this one as well. I didnt know this was the norm but the replacements they sent me are refurbished units. Should I accept this?[/quote]

How long has it been since the first problem surfaced. If it is going on 4-6 months, send a certified letter to the CEO telling him you want a refund, and if you don't get one you have no other choice than to proceed to small claims for "breach of warranty".

Regardless of what their CS dept tells you, you don't have to put up with this kind of crap.
[/quote]

Its going on 7 months now. 1st one was replaced a month in and Im sending the 3rd device back as we speak. All 3 had different issues that their technical support couldnt help correct. I just spoke to the CS dept and they confirmed that the replacement units are refurbished units, or as they like to put it "recertified" units.
If the 4th one craps out on me then yes I will be demanding a refund.
BTW Solutions phenomenal looking gc!

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...