Classic Blades - What is your must have?

[quote name='scout35016' timestamp='1346874253' post='5592189']
This is my collection of Wilson Staff Blades, starting with the 1954 Top-Notch Staff Model on the top left to the 2011 FG-62's on the bottom right. And yes, that is my current set of Ping i20's in the bag to left. The forgiveness of the cavity back is hard to ignore!

There have been 24 models (to my knowledge) of Staff Irons produced in the USA since 1954, in my pic are all those models plus:

- 2 sets of the Gooseneck's ('88 & '91 models)
- a set of Fg-59's, stamped with "Tour Grind" instead of "Tour Blade" from the Wilson Tour Van
- a set of Fg-49 & Fg-55 model Staffs that were sold in Europe in the late 80's & early 90's.

Not included in the pic are my '71 Button Back collecters issue from the early 90's in the wooden display case.

Still looking for a set of '69 Bullet Back collectors issue with the wooden case & a set of the '65 collectors issue that were introduced in 1982. I also would like to get my hands on one of the 25 prototypes of the Fg-59's that were on tour in 2008. I think they were actually stamped Fg-58.

Now my goal is to have one set each from the other major brands, so please keep the suggestions coming!
[/quote]
* Winner*

Sounds like a dream afternoon. Just hanging out at a range and getting to hit all the classics next to each other.

I have a set of Hogan blades from the 1940s and while they are seriously short on distance they have the thickest impact feel of all my irons. They are pretty thin too, so I have no idea why they feel so good unless it's the old time steel shaft or long hosel.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

This is my collection of Wilson Staff Blades, starting with the 1954 Top-Notch Staff Model on the top left to the 2011 FG-62's on the bottom right. And yes, that is my current set of Ping i20's in the bag to left. The forgiveness of the cavity back is hard to ignore!

There have been 24 models (to my knowledge) of Staff Irons produced in the USA since 1954, in my pic are all those models plus:

Strictly as a collector, my choices, by company, would be:

MacGregor: Toney Penna VIP 63. Drop-dead gorgeous
Wilson: I guess you have pretty well covered that brand
Spalding: 1950's Top Flite Synchrodyned, in Stainless Steel. Kind of Ugly, in my opinion
Golfcraft: Continental (with squared off toe)
Titleist: Same as above (Golfcraft Restamped)
Burke: PunchIron
PowerBilt: Scotch Blade
Ben Hogan: U-pick; I don't have a clue

I am sure I forgot a couple. this was off the top of my head. Bob

- a set of Fg-59's, stamped with "Tour Grind" instead of "Tour Blade" from the Wilson Tour Van
- a set of Fg-49 & Fg-55 model Staffs that were sold in Europe in the late 80's & early 90's.

Not included in the pic are my '71 Button Back collecters issue from the early 90's in the wooden display case.

Still looking for a set of '69 Bullet Back collectors issue with the wooden case & a set of the '65 collectors issue that were introduced in 1982. I also would like to get my hands on one of the 25 prototypes of the Fg-59's that were on tour in 2008. I think they were actually stamped Fg-58.

Now my goal is to have one set each from the other major brands, so please keep the suggestions coming!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Beautiful collection!

Where'd you get that rack?

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I've stacked 3 of these racks for my Hogans in a fashion reminiscent of the OP's "tower of Wilson":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CLUB-STORAGE-RACK-HOLDS-12-15-SETS-HOGAN-WILSON-PING-MACGREGOR/320962690443?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=011&category=1514&cmd=ViewItem#ht_633wt_922

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1346975444' post='5598903']

[/quote]

Beautiful collection!

[/quote]
I got the rack from ebay seller "Fowlowl", I do not think he has them listed anymore but if you contact him he will probably build one to order.

For me it's a set of 1983 Hogan Apex PC's. Absolutely beautiful in the bag and when soled. I'd still play 'em but the #4 shaft is just a bit stronger than I am, now.....i

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1346992784' post='5600421']
I've stacked 3 of these racks for my Hogans in a fashion reminiscent of the OP's "tower of Wilson":

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CLUB-STORAGE-RACK-HOLDS-12-15-SETS-HOGAN-WILSON-PING-MACGREGOR/320962690443?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=011&category=1514&cmd=ViewItem#ht_633wt_922"]http://www.ebay.com/...em#ht_633wt_922[/url]
[/quote]

I've seen those. Good idea. Thanks!

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='scout35016' timestamp='1347037326' post='5602453']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1346975444' post='5598903']
[/quote]

Beautiful collection!

[/quote]
I got the rack from ebay seller "Fowlowl", I do not think he has them listed anymore but if you contact him he will probably build one to order.
[/quote]

Thank you!

--Rory McIlroy 

Shallowface,

As you'll see when you click through the link I posted earlier, 'fowlowl' is the eBay seller in my case as well. Small world; maybe he can build a custom order to size for you if you don't feel like joining several together like I did.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1346876557' post='5592421']
[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1346394180' post='5564607']
Ok , I'll bite
The question was if you could have [b]one[/b] set..
I am huge Hogan fan but would have to go with Macgregor 1963 Toney Penna VIP with copper diamond scoring, the most beautiful set of irons I have ever seen.
[/quote]
Tim,
i just saw a set of VIP/Toney Pennas I don't remember ever having seen before. A friend has them. They are Toney Penna VIP 64's. They have the VIP 63 club face, but do NOT have the copper Colokrom. I have seen the pyramid dot face on other Armours (AT 1 or AT 2 from the early 60's) but not on the VIP. Also, I don't remember seeing the'64 model. I figured that if anybody else had a set, it would be you.
Bob
[/quote]

The 1963 set and the 1964 set were identical except for the Colokrom copper on the face. Both were special order sets from Macgregor, hence their rarity. I've only seen photos of the '64 set but owned a set of '63 irons and woods at one point. I think the '63 set commands a much higher price than the 64 set. The fact that the 63 set was the original and they had the Colokrom copper faces were the reasons.

Some additional brands , vintage I think you have to consider if you want a blade from a different manufacurer are
Cobra Greg Norman Forged, Hiro Honma FE-200, Golfsmith Tour Grind pro, Power Bilt Scotch blade, Snake Eyes Smith & Wesson Forged, Dyna Craft made some great blades. Golf Craft Coronado, Dawai DG-8301 David Graham design.Some of the early Golfworks Maltby grinds were very nice.Louisville Golf Scotch Classic. Wood Bros Blades
I added some pics of a few of them

Have my holy grail hanging up in my office 30th anniversary set of Hogan Personals...not a day goes by that I want to take the 2 Iron out and hit it...the red n blue line is just classic and Hogans have always been my favorite as I was almost paralized as I used to race professional motocross. I think thats why I have always been drawn to Hogans and have owned more than 5 sets and have only been playing for 15 years, I'm 31 now. Close 2nd would be the Miura old school blades Nick Price plays those clubs are badass!

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1347163972' post='5610251']
I checked out that clubs of distinction site and I think I found the sexiest irons ever made.

[url="http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod4/ucir6085.htm"]http://www.clubsofdi...d4/ucir6085.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I DO like those.

Good call, my friend.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

I also have a set of the Dunlop Tad Moore blades, and they are stunning. The sand wedge in that set is a great wedge. 54 degree. Bought 3-SW off the Bay for £50 and they are mint. Performance wise they are as good as my MP33s.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I was in the process of sorting through all the suggestions & doing a little research on which sets to add to my wish list when I ran across this site:

[url="http://lowscore.de/"]http://lowscore.de/[/url] - "BLADES" a private collection.

After wiping the drool from my mouth I came to the conclusion that I would take this collection and call it day!

[quote name='Forged-man' timestamp='1347583500' post='5636773']
How about some Original Dunlop Austrailian Blades
[/quote]

Aussie Blades! I've got a nice set. Maybe I'll play these this afternoon. They're a worthy addition to the collection.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='scout35016' timestamp='1347656981' post='5640991']
I was in the process of sorting through all the suggestions & doing a little research on which sets to add to my wish list when I ran across this site:

[url="http://lowscore.de/"]http://lowscore.de/[/url] - "BLADES" a private collection.

After wiping the drool from my mouth I came to the conclusion that I would take this collection and call it day!
[/quote]

THANK
YOU
:man_in_love:

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802