2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best fitters in New England?

RhodyGolf

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fitters in the New England area (RI)?

I heard that Tom Spargo of Spargo Golf in Cranston was good. He is listed in the Top 100 in Golf Digest. How about Joe and Leigh's at Pine Oaks?

Also, there are a couple of Performance centers nearby - Callaway in Mass and CT, Taylormade in Mass, and Titleist in Mass and nearby NY. Anyone have good experiences at one of these? Are they worth it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='RhodyGolf' timestamp='1349890943' post='5776611']
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fitters in the New England area (RI)?

I heard that Tom Spargo of Spargo Golf in Cranston was good. He is listed in the Top 100 in Golf Digest. How about Joe and Leigh's at Pine Oaks?

Also, there are a couple of Performance centers nearby - Callaway in Mass and CT, Taylormade in Mass, and Titleist in Mass and nearby NY. Anyone have good experiences at one of these? Are they worth it?
[/quote]

I've had Tom Spargo in a number of seminars I have taught and from my interaction with him I can tell you that he is VERY good. He'll be FAR better than any of these OEM fitting places because he will be able to customize every one of the key fitting elements for every club - not just 3 or 4 for the driver and 1 or 2 for the other clubs like the OEMs do in what they call fitting.

TOM

[quote name='joeclothing' timestamp='1349892557' post='5776777']
I've heard a bunch of guys in the past mention Frank Viola (not sure if he's the the ex pitcher) and I think he is in the NE somewhere.
[/quote]

I have been fit by Frank and was very happy with the fitting results and the club builds that he has done for me. Frank is located in Saugus, MA, just about 12-13 miles north of Boston. Friends of mine who have been to Frank to go through a fitting have also reported very positive experiences.

Mizuno MP-25 KBS x
T.P. Mills Anvil / Scotty
Titleist Vokey SM5 52/56 S400

The 2 big name guys in N.E. are Frank and Tom. No it's not the former pitcher. I live 15 mins from Frank's shop so I gravitate to him but the people down in Bristol Co. MA and RI speak well of Tom.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Definitely give Joe Leahy a look at Capital Golf Studio down by Providence. I've worked with him a number of times in the past and cannot say enough good things about it! I live north of Boston and happily make the trip down to RI whenever I need any work done on my clubs.

http://capitalgolfri.uprolink.com/

G430 LST

G430 Max 3W/7W

ZXU/ZX5/ZX7 MkII
SM9 56 S/60 LBK
Lab DF3

[quote name='RhodyGolf' timestamp='1349890943' post='5776611']

[/quote]

I don't know who Tom Spargo is, so I can't comment on him.

Joe & Leigh's is the famous "3Balls" of eBay fame. I wouldn't use them for fitting, under any circumstances.

That's leaves Frank at Ace of Clubs. I've known him for 10 years, I wouldn't recommend him.

Contrary to Tom Wishon's opinion (we often disagree), I would recommend the TaylorMade Performance Center. Their technology is head & shoulders above what any garage or cellar-based "fitter" has available. (2) Flight Monitors & their high tech 3D modeling system, where they'll stick contacts all over your body & club and develop a 3D model of your swing. I gained 21 yards with my driver, after being fit at the TPC. It's one of only about 6 in the country and barring going to The Kingdom or the "Staff Only" fitting center for Titleist, Callaway or PING, I don't think there's anything that compares with the TPC. (I have nothing to do with them, other than it's located at the club I belong to & I know Steve Tolpa, the Pro who does the fitting). They are offering a discounted winter special, which started this week. As Tom said, they'll only fit you to TaylorMade equipment ... but in spite of what some would like you to believe, the basic club-lines of all the manufactures are fairly similar. The all have "blades, SGI, GI's" & some in between.

[quote name='mryan0425' timestamp='1349972016' post='5781097']
Definitely give Joe Leahy a look at Capital Golf Studio down by Providence. I've worked with him a number of times in the past and cannot say enough good things about it! I live north of Boston and happily make the trip down to RI whenever I need any work done on my clubs.

[url="http://capitalgolfri.uprolink.com/"]http://capitalgolfri.uprolink.com/[/url]
[/quote]

+1

Tom Spargo is the best in the area IMO. He has been a Top 100 Fitter in the US for almost a decade straight. He works with basically all of the local pros, current Tour pros, current LGPA Pros, and hundreds of local collegiate players in area and NE. Tom is a club guru. I've worked with him several times.

He is a super nice guy and knows his stuff. His shop is also pretty awesome. Not only will he build the clubs himself (driver through putter), he can also do custom furells, stamping, etc.

The best part is, all of his fittings are outdoors, and his putting studio is really nice.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='negolfking' timestamp='1349988082' post='5782373']
Joe & Leigh's is the famous "3Balls" of eBay fame.
Joe & Leigh's also has their own proformance center which is set up for fittings and they have a few guys who do a great job.
Golf digest did an artical in august 2011 with one of their writers gaining 44 yards during a fitting at joe&leighs
[/quote]

Now that you mention, I think I read that article in Golf Digest. I was at Joe & Leigh's a couple of time last year, but I never saw the "fitting center" and quite honestly, I was far from impressed with their level of customer service. That said, they're great to buy from on eBay, I've bought a lot of stuff from them & it's always been better than described.

Didn't Furyk buy a putter there & then go out & win the Deutsche Bank with it?

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1349995948' post='5782911']
Joe Leahy and Frank Viola are both very, very good.

The fitting center at Joe and Leigh's is only one of 4 or 5 Ping nFlight fitting centers in the nation. The fitting center is in a separate facility from their store.
[/quote]

In which case, I apologize to Joe & Leigh's ... I didn't know about their PING fitting center.

As for Frank ... no comment.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1349997032' post='5782967']

The fitting center at Joe and Leigh's is only one of 4 or 5 Ping nFlight fitting centers in the nation. The fitting center is in a separate facility from their store.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's the 1st bad word I've EVER heard about Frank. :WTF:

Thanks for all of the input. It's awesome to know that there are at least 3-4 good fitters nearby. Tom Spargo seems like the closest and best to look to first. I did not know about Joe Leahy. I will have to look him up also.

I was fitted for the first time a while ago for irons by a smaller local store in nearby CT, but I think the guy, although well-intentioned, wasn't as knowledgeable as some of the good clubfitters out there. I hit my irons well, but I'm still not 100% confident that they were right for me and who wants that feeling after spending $600+ ? Some shops and box stores get outfitted with all the fitting carts and launch monitors and such, but are the guys doing the stuff really that knowledgeable and qualified? I don't want to feel like I know more than the guy fitting me. I want an experience that shows me that I am making a well thought purchase or changes that will be best for my swing.

I would go with Tom Spargo, he is the best in Rhode Island. I met Frank Viola when hes was at Golfers Warehouse, he was Maltby "trained" which is pretty much a sales meeting that you pay for on just using there equipment. If you are in the Hartford area check out Todd at Prove It Golf in Rocky Hill. He has a great setup , all custom , nothing stocked and extremely knowledgable.

@ BrianL66, I would disagree with your assumtion that the OEM studios are the best ! Sometimes the ":garage guys" are better than the factory guys, those guys need to know a ton about all oems equipment. Plus there hands are not tied by what they can offer. All the "motion tracking, high speed cameras, balistic launch monitors" would not equal anything if the person does a fit on only what they make. Personally , some of those "Studios" are just smoke and mirrors!

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

Tom Spargo is the ONLY clubmaker anywhere in RI/MA, he works on tons of tour pro's & top amateur golfers clubs. He's one of the few guys I know that can actually shave strokes off your game with a fitting. The work is clean, professional, but most important it's done right. They've got any shaft you want from NV's to Tour SPX shafts. He knows his stuff, he's good at his craft & won't blow smoke up your rear. First class shop!

𝗦ᴜɴ𝗧ʀᴜsᴛ 𝗧ᴀᴍᴘᴀ 𝗕ᴀʏ 𝗣ʀᴏ/𝗔ᴍ 𝗣ʀᴏғᴇssɪᴏɴᴀʟ 𝗖ʜᴀᴍᴘɪᴏɴ (-𝟭𝟮/𝟮𝟬𝟭)

68A7239E-AAC2-4873-AAB4-79AB07381822.png.1162e21eb149e0d7ca8526c3ec552f4c.png

DRIVER: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ 𝗤𝗶𝟭𝟬 𝗟𝗦 𝟴° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗚𝗞 𝗫𝗫

3 WOOD: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ 𝗤𝗶𝟭𝟬 𝟭𝟰.𝟱° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗙𝗪 𝗦ᴇᴠᴇɴ 𝗫

5 WOOD: 𝗖ᴏʙʀᴀ 𝗥ᴀᴅ𝗦ᴘᴇᴇᴅ 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝟭𝟵° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗙𝗪 𝗦ᴇᴠᴇɴ 𝗫

IRONS: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ ᴘ𝟳𝟱𝟬 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏ 𝟯ɪ 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗛ʏʙʀɪᴅ 𝟭𝟬𝟬 𝗫,𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ ᴘ𝟳𝟱𝟬 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏ 𝟰ɪ/ᴘ𝟳ᴛᴡ 𝟱ɪ-𝗣𝗪 𝗡ɪᴘᴘᴏɴ 𝗡.𝗦. 𝗣ʀᴏ 𝗠ᴏᴅᴜs 𝟭𝟬𝟱 𝗫

WEDGES: 𝗧ɪᴛʟᴇɪsᴛ 𝗩ᴏᴋᴇʏ 𝗦𝗠𝟭𝟬 𝟱𝟰°𝗙 𝗥ᴀᴡ/𝗧ɪᴛʟᴇɪsᴛ 𝗩ᴏᴋᴇʏ 𝗦𝗠𝟵 𝟱𝟴°𝗩 𝗥ᴀᴡ 𝗡ɪᴘᴘᴏɴ 𝗡.𝗦. 𝗣ʀᴏ 𝗠ᴏᴅᴜs 𝟭𝟮𝟬 𝗫

PUTTER: 𝗕ʏʀᴏɴ 𝗠ᴏʀɢᴀɴ 𝗗𝗛𝟴𝟵 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗪ᴇʟᴅᴇᴅ 𝗙ʟᴏᴡ 𝗡ᴇᴄᴋ 𝟯𝘅 𝗕ʟᴀᴄᴋ

Just to add a little more on the topic, Tom at Spargo Golf is top on all OEM equipment & the #1 Callaway fitter in RI but also carries top components like Miura & Wishon. He doesn't push any particular equipment or push to buy new, he'll talk you out of a Fabuki K if a NV actually works best for you, he'll also go out of his way to order & build iron head for you to demo if he doesn't have the particular iron your looking for ready for your fitting. Usually he's booked up pretty good all season so getting an appointment I would make at least 2 weeks a head. Even after being fit at the Kingdom I went straight to him to double check everything, he's so good with iron fittings that I won't hit a set until he's tweaked them. He won't sit there with a lie board, he'll watch you hit balls to see where the miss is & keep adjusting until you miss is straight & ball striking is solid, no hitting into a net so he can get a feel for your miss to make your dispersion tighter on that miss & picture perfect when it's flush. One example that comes to mind was my first iron shaft switch in 4 years, loved the shafts but kept hitting it in the same spot a little towards the toe. Normally that would be a lie issue in 99% of clubmakers minds, not Tom. He figured that the lies we're the same as my old sticks (once your fit once, your specs are on file & printed for you) but the weighting was off. After adding a little weight I was back to hitting it crispy, the guy is that good & the amount of pro's he works with are on the PGA, LPGA, Champions, Nationwide, Futures, developmental tour pros & top amateurs from not just the area but all over the US. He's really close with Tom Wishon who is pretty much the guy who wrote the book on club fitting/building & taught by him. Joe Lahey does good as well, he's got a nice shop & does his fittings at a driving range in Swansea/Warren, he's done some work for me & it's always clean & professional. For me Tom will always fit me in ASAP if I need something & we've been working for so long together he knows what I want & I don't need to say anything, his clientele speaks for itself, his work is the reason why he's a GD Top-100 guy, plus he & his staff are super friendly to work with. If you've never been fit by him by the time you leave you'll feel like you've know him for years. There's a reason everyone in the SE Mass/RI area knows Tom at Spargo Golf, no matter if your a pro, top am, or weekend hack you'll get the same treatment he gives every golfer should.

𝗦ᴜɴ𝗧ʀᴜsᴛ 𝗧ᴀᴍᴘᴀ 𝗕ᴀʏ 𝗣ʀᴏ/𝗔ᴍ 𝗣ʀᴏғᴇssɪᴏɴᴀʟ 𝗖ʜᴀᴍᴘɪᴏɴ (-𝟭𝟮/𝟮𝟬𝟭)

68A7239E-AAC2-4873-AAB4-79AB07381822.png.1162e21eb149e0d7ca8526c3ec552f4c.png

DRIVER: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ 𝗤𝗶𝟭𝟬 𝗟𝗦 𝟴° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗚𝗞 𝗫𝗫

3 WOOD: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ 𝗤𝗶𝟭𝟬 𝟭𝟰.𝟱° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗙𝗪 𝗦ᴇᴠᴇɴ 𝗫

5 WOOD: 𝗖ᴏʙʀᴀ 𝗥ᴀᴅ𝗦ᴘᴇᴇᴅ 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝟭𝟵° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗙𝗪 𝗦ᴇᴠᴇɴ 𝗫

IRONS: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ ᴘ𝟳𝟱𝟬 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏ 𝟯ɪ 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗛ʏʙʀɪᴅ 𝟭𝟬𝟬 𝗫,𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ ᴘ𝟳𝟱𝟬 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏ 𝟰ɪ/ᴘ𝟳ᴛᴡ 𝟱ɪ-𝗣𝗪 𝗡ɪᴘᴘᴏɴ 𝗡.𝗦. 𝗣ʀᴏ 𝗠ᴏᴅᴜs 𝟭𝟬𝟱 𝗫

WEDGES: 𝗧ɪᴛʟᴇɪsᴛ 𝗩ᴏᴋᴇʏ 𝗦𝗠𝟭𝟬 𝟱𝟰°𝗙 𝗥ᴀᴡ/𝗧ɪᴛʟᴇɪsᴛ 𝗩ᴏᴋᴇʏ 𝗦𝗠𝟵 𝟱𝟴°𝗩 𝗥ᴀᴡ 𝗡ɪᴘᴘᴏɴ 𝗡.𝗦. 𝗣ʀᴏ 𝗠ᴏᴅᴜs 𝟭𝟮𝟬 𝗫

PUTTER: 𝗕ʏʀᴏɴ 𝗠ᴏʀɢᴀɴ 𝗗𝗛𝟴𝟵 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗪ᴇʟᴅᴇᴅ 𝗙ʟᴏᴡ 𝗡ᴇᴄᴋ 𝟯𝘅 𝗕ʟᴀᴄᴋ

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='floycota' timestamp='1351216807' post='5847551']
Todd at Prove It Golf in Wethersfield, CT is great. He is a Miura dealer and knows just about everything you could ever want to know about shafts and fitting. Tons of exotic shafts and some buttery soft Miuras, what more could you want. I highly recommend seeing Todd if you have the chance.
[/quote]

I would highly recommend Todd at Prove It Golf as well. He just recently has opened his own shop after working in club building for many years. He works with mainly Miura and Scratch, but does club building/repair. I have Todd build all my clubs and do my repairs because he isn't in a rush just to push you out of the door. You can tell him passion for building clubs and helping golfers be properly fit compliment each other very well! He has launch monitors and some demo clubs. Todd is an expert when it comes to equipment and is not looking to push you into a certain brand, but rather to find clubs you like and make them fit your swing properly. I can't recommend Todd enough

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

• 2 months later...

+1 for todd at prove it golf in wethersfield, he is the only person i let touch my clubs. Ever since i had him fit me properly my game has improved. Do yourself a favor....have him fit you......just do a fitting, even if you dont buy a set your eyes will be open to what your game needs vs. what your brain wants.....i guarantee you will be back and be buying at least a driver or hybrid......hell you start swinging the miura clubs he has for demo and may leave with a set!

[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1350001095' post='5783229']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1349997032' post='5782967']

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's the 1st bad word I've EVER heard about Frank. :WTF:
[/quote]

Me too. I cannot personally speak to his fittings but for quality of work, customer service and availability of product he is, IMO, as good as it gets. I just bought some Miuras from him and am very happy. I know many others that use him and all echo my opinions.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag