2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Cleveland Comp 460

Preface:

I'm 45 years, 6 ft 3, EGA h'cap 8, swingspeed 95-100 mph, medium 1.2 sec tempo.

I hit a natural draw. I don't have time to play and practice a lot, so ease of use and forgiveness are important measures for me.

Picked this driver up on Ebay in january.

* Well I'm still wondering why I sold this beauty - comp 10.5 / stock S, but immediately it kicked the R7 TP / SIX out of the bag...*

Looks :

Absolutely square and looking smaller than the actual 460cc compartment! Composite crown is not really visible at address.

Sound :

Nice muted pitch, sounds better than the R7 TP. Not in 'TWACK' TM 510 TP league though.

Forgiveness :

If You can't hit this thing - take up bridge :clapping: .

Better proportions for my ability than the short heel-to-toe R7. It's still 2 1/8" deep, just shy of the R7.

Launch :

Launches med-high, combined with the stock-shaft it takes off about right for me.

High flat arched floaters. Better flight than the R7 TP - the R7 HT would suit me better than the R7 TP, but I still like to adress a deepfaced driver.

Spin :

It feels like a medium-spinning combo, but honestly I don't know.

Distance :

As long as any driver I've hit before. No - longer... :drinks:

Control :

This baby wants to fly straight, but can be worked if You put an effort into it.

Stock Shaft :

The stock shaft performs really well...it feels tighter and firmer than the gold stock from the 2004 Launcher - but it could be the the same, a rumour goes?. Feels like a softish tipped mid-kick shaft.

I guess I'll have to get me one again :clapping:

Overall

The Cleveland Comp has proven to be a strong candidate for 2005's top driver release.

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Well I'm still wondering why I sold this beauty - comp 10.5 / stock S, but immediately it kicked the R7 TP / SIX out of the bag...*

I guess I'll have to get me one again  :clapping:

Overall

The Cleveland Comp has proven to be a strong candidate for 2005's top driver release.

55797[/snapback]

Hey Søren,

How about your TM R5 TP - do you really want to dump that and get yourself a new Cleveland Comp 460 again :drinks:

What shaft do you intend to put in the Comp 460 if you buy another one - the stock Cleveland Fuji shaft or ?

How about the Ping G5 or the upcoming R7 Tp 425cc (being released primo november according to rumours) ?

I guess I'll have to get me one again  :clapping:

Overall

55797[/snapback]

Hey Søren,

How about your TM R5 TP - do you really want to dump that and get yourself a new Cleveland Comp 460 again :drinks:

What shaft do you intend to put in the Comp 460 if you buy another one - the stock Cleveland Fuji shaft or ?

How about the Ping G5 or the upcoming R7 Tp 425cc (being released primo november according to rumours) ?

55863[/snapback]

No Claus, I'm not dumping the R5 TP....the speeder652 just disappointed me a little bit in that head - my carry with the Comp was clearly longer, due to more spin.

I'll put an Aldila NVS 65 in the R5 and see how it goes.

My R7 TP fw is also getting shafted with a NVS75 s tomorrow.

If this driver-setup doesn't work, then its back to the Comp!

I've never felt so confident in a driver standing on the teebox :clapping:

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

• 1 month later...

Truly awesome driver. It was a tossup between this and the G5, and no regrets. Whilst the G5 is a great and easy to hit driver, it is perhaps a little less consistent on mishits than the Comp. The Comp also has a deep and powerful sound at impact (not one of those tinny sounds and much nicer sounding than the new Ti Launcher). Have it in S stock black Fuji OEM shaft and 9.5deg and drives are consistently much longer and more predictable than my usual drives. In fact, drives were consistently hitting the net at the end of the range, and that's 230metres away!! Technology sure has come a long way to have produced a club so forgiving and sooooo long. Definitely a MUST HAVE for golfers of all levels. :)

Truly awesome driver. It was a tossup between this and the G5, and no regrets. Whilst the G5 is a great and easy to hit driver, it is perhaps a little less consistent on mishits than the Comp. The Comp also has a deep and powerful sound at impact (not one of those tinny sounds and much nicer sounding than the new Ti Launcher). Have it in S stock black Fuji OEM shaft and 9.5deg and drives are consistently much longer and more predictable than my usual drives. In fact, drives were consistently hitting the net at the end of the range, and that's 230metres away!! Technology sure has come a long way to have produced a club so forgiving and sooooo long. Definitely a MUST HAVE for golfers of all levels. :dntknw:

I haven't played much all year due to some all kinds of weird problems and an injury to my left hand. Today, just for kicks, I demoed a Comp. With an out of shape swing and loss of strength plus a bandaged left hand I hit this really good and long, considering. I am really impressed with this club. I think after Christmas I will probably get one. I did hit the 10.5 high and may try a 9.5 to see the comparison.

=) maverick

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

This is the best I've tried and I've tried nearly everything. I have a 9.5* tour head with an NVS75. Nice looking - hides its 460cc very well. Crisp sound at impact. Long and straight and easy to hit. Who could ask for more? I'll never sell it (despite just picking up a Nike SQ tour and a TM r510 tp tour head).

What's wrong with me??????????? :dntknw:

• 3 months later...

Great Driver.

I compared it head-to-head with my r7 at the range...found it to be about 20 yds. longer and much straighter. I was also impressed by the feel and sound. Sounds more like an all Ti driver than any other comp I've hit. Feel / feedback is typical of a 460 head though it doesn't look huge due to the dark finish. Appearance at address is very slightly closed.

Went to the launch monitor and found the NV 65 stiff worked best. Got one new with NV on eBay for $275 (7/05).

Conclusion: Very long and very straight. I feel completely in control. Ball flight is lower than the r7 (set low neutral) with very good roll. Great value too...you can get one seriously cheap right now in anticipation of the new hi-bore.

I've always been a big Cleveland fan...played their wedges, irons and fairway woods. But this is the first Cleveland driver I've played and, based on my experience, I'm impressed. I will probably have to consider Cleveland again when looking at drivers.

I currently play the 9.5 with stock stiff graphite and I love this driver. It's easy to hit high and long and it feels and sounds very nice, more of a thump as opposed to the loud piercing crack that you get with some Cobra and Callaway drivers. I originally had the 10.5 version but I hit that too high and I was getting very little roll. I normally hit a pretty low ball with drivers and the 9.5 is perfect, very good carry with more roll. This driver driver feels very light with the stock shaft and it's easy to hit draws with (sometimes too easy), I'm toying with the idea of a heavier shaft but the stock stiff shaft feels perfect for my smooth swing (roughly 105 SS) and seems to load and release perfectly at impact. IMO the Launcher Comp stock shaft is infinitely better than the previous generation Launcher Gold.

I rate this club a 5, easily the best, most user friendly driver I've ever owned.

7/1/06 update: Had an MCC MFS65 (S2) installed at 45.5 inches in my 9.5 Comp and it's perfect. The MFS65 shaft is slightly heavier than the stock shaft and with the added .5 inch the extra weight is noticable. I'm hitting mid/high ropes with this combo and I've gained an easy 15-20 yards, carry distance is a little more but the consistant additional distance is coming from roll. I'm still able to hit my preferred soft draw but so far I haven't experienced the snap hook that sometimes plagued me with the stock stiff shaft, the MCC TTR tip kicks very smooth but is still stable. I don't have LM #'s but so far the Comp/MFS65 combo is giving me the best high trajectory + lower spin/roll that I've ever played in a driver. The bright orange MFS65 looks sublime in the black comp head :idhitit: .

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

• 1 month later...

I am a part time, golf is fun with my kids type guy with a 10 handicap and love this 460 Comp. I got mine yesterday after work and immediately went to the range (playing 18 on Sat)... usually a "get used to/breaking in" time for me and a new driver but not this one....Hitting this driver is like a fish trying to swim 9.5 loft w/ NV-S orange Regular shaft. I'm a flat ball hitter and really like the higer (but not too high) launch. Solid feel, the kind you feel in your hands and forearms at impact. I've always been a straight hitter so I can't comment if it's straighter than my old BB2, but I can definetly say it has more carry and extra total yards! I can only imagine what the 460 Comp is capable of in more hard core players!

• 2 weeks later...

With the help of the guys from the Cleveland demo van, and after trying various lofts and shafts, I settled on the 7.5* launcher Comp with Grafalloy blue based on the fact that it lowered my ballflight tremendously. Impressed the cleveland guys by how far I was putting this baby out there, and no other driver can compare to the feel you get when you hit this driver on the screws

Right now I hit it fine, and I'm very satisfied with the fact that I have the right head and loft, but in the future the only issues that may come are shafts, to make sure I have the completely correct combo to ensure I keep the ballflight down. I'll post another review after I get some more rounds in with it.

[sign here]

Beautiful club.. stock shaft is weak :) will try it with proforce V2. the flight while high in a 10.5 is flat, the sound is titleist like but more crisp. The hooks reared its ugly head but that is attributed to the shaft??

wil add update :crazy:

Found a 9.5* head that is square face and as others have mentioned probaly the most forgiving driver EVER!!!! High,long and straight!!! can't wait until my next rounds.

• 1 month later...

Won a Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 w/10.5* stiff Fujikura shaft in a contest. Ball flight was a bit high so I reshafted it with a stiff Fujikura Vista Tour 60 based upon feedback from this site. Ball flight came down nicely, this club is long and very easy to hit. Occasionaly hook them when I try to rip it.

When combined with some TaylorMade TP Reds my son gave me for Father's Day, I get some really nice drives. Nice to hear my 19 year old son say "Wow" after I hit a few.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Comp 460 with the black Cleveland stiff shaft. Is this shaft any good? I want to reshaft with a Speeder. What are your thoughts?

Would this one work?

This is a professionally pulled Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec stiff flex shaft with a Taylor Made Tour Velvet grip.It has a .350 tip prepped at 1.5 inches. The shaft measures 43.25 inches from tip to butt of grip. Pulled from a TaylorMade r7 head

• 2 months later...

I read all the raves but this driver did not do a thing for me. If I swung "gently" it would go straight down the middle but 20 yards shorter then my G5 with ProLaunch. I hated the whippy reg flex Cleveland shaft so put in a Graf Comp NT. Better but I sold it. If it's going to work it will impress me right away. This didn't. It is, however, one of the best looking drivers out there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am very much an around the body swinger, and on top of being rather, ahem, lacking in stature, I usually need all he help I can get in launching the ball higher... I obtained a slightly used 9.5* stated loft Comp head and paired it with a Fujikura Vista Pro shaft 70 ish gram in S Flex... the head itself is sublime... IF, and that's a huge IF your first priority is forgiveness... this driver is almost as good as confession, with none of the guilt. My first swipes with it were truely abhorrent swings... more like muscle spasms, really... and yet I was still just off of the fairway... within a couple of days my swing was sorted out, and good Lord, this is a cannon... Part clubfitting, surely... I have yet to have the actual loft on my driver measured, but I have a feeling that it is higher than stated... I am reaching spots on both the range and my local courses that I have not ever dreamed of being able to hit... I do not really attempt to work the ball with the driver... if that is your objective, I feel your efforts are probably better served elsewhere. But this WILL lower your score if you have a decent swing and are looking to minimize your misses... for comparisson, I tried the FT3, various TM heads, etc... This will be in the bag for a very very long time... if this driver does not go straight, it's your swing... that is for sure :bigwhack:

• 4 years later...