Post your Goodwill / Thrift store finds (NO BuySellTrade POSTS)

specialtony

Full set of MacGregor MT Tourney irons and woods with a leather bag. $30 (Note: that's a photo I found. My set has not arrived yet.

Tim,

Early 60's if I recall...nice find. Please post pics when you can.

Will do!

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Well, this could be the end of the gravy train. The Goodwills in my area have begun sending their more "valuable" stuff (jewelry, guitars, anything new, etc.) to their online auction site. It's a national auction site where Goodwills from around the country post their wares, and where some shipping companies charge outrageous fees for shipping. (There was one driver up for auction that had a shipping fee of $52 from CA to VA.)

Looks like the GW donated golf clubs are heading online instead of into the stores. Random clubs still appear, but the days of having a GW worker trot out a bag full of gleaming Pings and Hogans might be over around here.

Trouble is, I don't see any listings from my local Goodwills online, and they used to have dozens and dozens of clubs. Are they junking them? Scrapping them?

I will pursue this (gently) with Goodwill and post in this thread if I find out anything. Anyone else know about these changes?

I looked at that site for a minute and didn't find any steals. And it's such a low-tech site that it didn't inspire me to search longer.

Picked up a Jack Nicklaus tech polo and Izod tech shorts for $10.75 today at a Salvation Army in FLL out of necessity... decided to take advantage of my ClubCorp Travel Membership at Largo Mar but didn't have any golf attire with me, but did better at SA than I would have at WalMart or Target.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Well, this could be the end of the gravy train. The Goodwills in my area have begun sending their more "valuable" stuff (jewelry, guitars, anything new, etc.) to their online auction site. It's a national auction site where Goodwills from around the country post their wares, and where some shipping companies charge outrageous fees for shipping. (There was one driver up for auction that had a shipping fee of $52 from CA to VA.)

Looks like the GW donated golf clubs are heading online instead of into the stores. Random clubs still appear, but the days of having a GW worker trot out a bag full of gleaming Pings and Hogans might be over around here.

Trouble is, I don't see any listings from my local Goodwills online, and they used to have dozens and dozens of clubs. Are they junking them? Scrapping them?

I will pursue this (gently) with Goodwill and post in this thread if I find out anything. Anyone else know about these changes?

I looked at that site for a minute and didn't find any steals. And it's such a low-tech site that it didn't inspire me to search longer.

They are building a new auction site. It's beta right now, but there's a link on the current site. Trouble is, the same uninformed people will be cataloging and posting the items.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Had a trawl through the GW site yesterday.

Only items that caught my eye were some new in box True Linkswear shoes. Seemed to be maybe 20 auctions, various sizes and styles starting at $5.

A Scotty "My Girl" putter with headcover but that looked to have attracted a lot of bids, north of $500 last I looked.

A Hogan staff bag but that was pick up only in Orlando. Good deal if you are in that area, $8.99 no bids yet.

The zippers all work on them. I figure for 5 bucks it could be a good deal. I see one on ebay listed for like 70 dollars and one watcher...

Nice bag. Yeah, too heavy to carry, but good for the cart. Nice to just have around the house to keep you company. If it is leather with working metal zippers, some collector with a vintage set of Titleist clubs might like to have it.

Forgive me if you already know this....but don't rely on eBay Listed prices. They are what the seller hopes to get, not what things are worth. Find out what people actually pay for things by filtering your results to only Sold listings (bottom of left-hand column in search results). Also, study whether the sold prices include free shipping, or whether the buyer paid shipping on top of the price of the item. A bag that sold for $60 with free shipping is a $60 bag for the buyer. A bag that sold for $60 plus $15.00 shipping is a $75 bag to the buyer. So, in those Sold listings, find a solid average sold price point, factoring in those variables.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Picked up a Ping Eye 2 persimmon 3 wood. The shaft is way too whippy towards the head for me but had to grab it for 2.99.

Were Ping Eye 2 woods persimmon? I thought--at least the early ones--were laminated maple.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Sorry, did some research and it's maple, not persimmon. Black finish black dot. It's just about as long as the modern stuff on well hit shots which surprised me.

Nothing wrong with maple, it's a hardwood, and some golfers prefer laminates to solid wood blocks because they hold up better and longer, although the persimmon blocks supposedly have better feel and accuracy...probably not apparent to handicappers.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

They scrap a lot of stuff here. I drive a truck for a metal recycling company and our company is on contract from GW. I have found some stuff but not lately. Last year I found a rusty Scotty Santa Fe and yes I use it. last summer I found a hoard of 15 Izett woods and 2 Penna persimmon drivers in one haul. The next week I found someone's hoard of 18 yes 18 various models of Wilson Fg,Staff and JP wedges . Around the same time I found 3 Bulls Eye Reuters putters in one haul. Evidently classic clubs do not sell well around here and so they will get scrapped along with the pots and pans and old metal wire clothes hangers. Anything metal that does not move in a while gets scrapped. I will add most of the folks there do not know beans about golf. I bought a set of FG-17s a while back that was missing the 4 iron I asked the guy If it may be in back. He said there was no other clubs back there. guess what? 2 weeks later the 4 iron and 2 iron showed up on the yard. Ended up doing a trade deal with that set. Most of the clubs I have seen lately have been pure department store or clone junk even in the store

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

They scrap a lot of stuff here. I drive a truck for a metal recycling company and our company is on contract from GW. I have found some stuff but not lately. Last year I found a rusty Scotty Santa Fe and yes I use it. last summer I found a hoard of 15 Izett woods and 2 Penna persimmon drivers in one haul. The next week I found someone's hoard of 18 yes 18 various models of Wilson Fg,Staff and JP wedges . Around the same time I found 3 Bulls Eye Reuters putters in one haul. Evidently classic clubs do not sell well around here and so they will get scrapped along with the pots and pans and old metal wire clothes hangers. Anything metal that does not move in a while gets scrapped. I will add most of the folks there do not know beans about golf. I bought a set of FG-17s a while back that was missing the 4 iron I asked the guy If it may be in back. He said there was no other clubs back there. guess what? 2 weeks later the 4 iron and 2 iron showed up on the yard. Ended up doing a trade deal with that set. Most of the clubs I have seen lately have been pure department store or clone junk even in the store

Thanks for your post. A great insight into (a) what is really going on and (b) how uninformed Goodwill is about the items they sell. Around here (Charlottesville and Richmond, VA) they are posing as retail stores, taking high prices on inappropriate items, leaving all the pricing up to the store manager who doesn't know squat. I could go on, but this is the case of an organization who talks the talk but can't walk the walk. They are losing lots of money through, frankly, ignorance of the products they are given.

That said, I'm glad they exist and I wish far, far, far more people would donate their gently used Mizunos and other high-end clubs :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

The next week I found someone's hoard of 18 yes 18 various models of Wilson Fg,Staff and JP wedges .

Wait, what?

Like these?

jpwedges.jpg

That sounds like a divorce or a death. I've made a point of telling my wife what the "valuable" stuff is so my good stuff doesn't end up in a donation pile.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Today's Goodwill haul:

- Momentus training iron for me, $2.99

- 7 club set of MacGregor Tourney MT Jr.'s for my daughter (who gets to hand down her current 4 club set to her sister), $2.99 per club

- "instant pot" for the wife in like-new condition for $14.99.

Happy day for everybody.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Today's Goodwill haul:

- 7 club set of MacGregor Tourney MT Jr.'s for my daughter (who gets to hand down her current 4 club set to her sister), $2.99 per club

Happy day for everybody.

That instant pot may be the best buy!

Today's Goodwill haul:

Happy day for everybody.

That instant pot may be the best buy!

Especially since it will distract her while my daughter walks in with her new clubs, lol. I should go buy myself a new driver to maximize the value of the instant pot distraction.

In my first trip since I was in Australia, I picked up a set of R7 CGB's 5-PW, Cleveland CG10 52* wedge, Nike OZ putter (all for my dad's set), a brand new Yes Tiffany putter for my wife to try out, and a Yes Sophia putter that I'm going to have a play around with, all out the door for $24. Happy return from down under!

**EDIT**

Sorry, thought I had the pictures in but apparently I didn't! Also forgot about the Burner driver for $3 that isn't too noteworthy except for the old school Speeder 757 shaft in it haha.