2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade R1 Graphics

igolfchip

While I am not a huge fan of the white, I do believe that this driver's graphics can act as a great aid to make an inside move, so that the golfer will focus on the rear inside quarter of the ball.

I know most here don't have a problem with hitting the outside of the golf ball, but from what I have seen, many of the golfers bagging a full set of TM from Dick's/Golf Galaxy do.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1353634867' post='5967713']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1353626271' post='5967331']
I'll take a 420cc version of the r1 - pair it with a motore speeder 7.2 TS.
[/quote]
YEP +1
[/quote]

+2 but make mine Oban Kiyoshi White 6 05!!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Golfer_1993' timestamp='1353640203' post='5968027']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1353638041' post='5967927']
[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1353637646' post='5967891']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1353636346' post='5967801']
i wonder what would happen if everyone waited to hate on this club or love on this club until after they had it in their hands on a driving range. you never know, maybe this club has the best view at address ever....or maybe it is just hideous. we wont know until we hold it and hit it
[/quote]

Maybe the mods should delete all the posts that are in disagreement with you.
[/quote]

No that wouldnt be fun.

I like the early bashfest that leads to a love fest. I have been thinking of the launches over the years that started like this. At times so bad the OEM would call us concerned. I got used to telling them not to worry. Sometime the best stuff gets killed on first looks.

Also we are gearheads and cant wait to form early our opinions. We love this stuff.

R
[/quote]

Does it mean you are waiting for a TM call then? Because this is going bad right now. For the r11 forum, you said it 20 haters for 1 lover, but I checked and i think it was lower than that. For this one, I made a quick calculation and we are around 12 to 1 right now. And this is not over yet.
[/quote]

It isn't. I see this as early reports. The shock will wear off here soon and the lovefest will start at the same time. I can remember taking my father into Carls Golf in Michigan. He was looking for a 3 wood. I handed him a white r11 3 wood. He IMMEDIATELY without even taking it said "no... I will never play that". Well a year later he was 3 woods all white in the bag.

All I am saying is the first impressions are as lasting as I would have thought in golf clubs. Tour play, performance and marketing can change a visual paradigm that you have built up.

What I don't get is why people get so heated about a golf club.
It is a pretty simple concept: if you don't like it, don't buy it.
I am not fan of white, and I play an R510 tp. But, as the monitor is showing, I am leaving something on the table in the distance department. I have hit and liked the Ping I20, the Callaway Razr Hawk Tour with an aftermarket RIP 70, and an R11s with RIP 70.
The monitor showed I was hitting the drivers similarly, with the Ping and Callaway being like 1 and 1a (very close).
If the R11s was clearly the best, that is what I would be bagging.

[quote name='mickeytbones' timestamp='1353683545' post='5969067']
I am not fan of white, and I play an R510 tp. But, as the monitor is showing, I am leaving something on the table in the distance department. I have hit and liked the Ping I20, the Callaway Razr Hawk Tour with an aftermarket RIP 70, and an R11s with RIP 70.
The monitor showed I was hitting the drivers similarly, with the Ping and Callaway being like 1 and 1a (very close).
[/quote]

Instead of talking about what we think about the looks of an r1 in a thread about r1's lets talk about what shafts you prefer in your drivers.

R11, RZB, R11S, R1
Just add it to the list.
After 20+ years of bagging TM drivers, I just can't do it anymore....
Actually can't even bring myself to demo one. Maybe I'm too old school, but I need to like the looks to maintain the confidence that I will undoubtedly need to recover when I have that rough patch off the tee. I know it seems like most on here just rush out and buy a new stick when things go south but i still believe it's the indian not the arrow.
Still game the R9 FW's w/love.

[quote name='CG69's' timestamp='1353648637' post='5968399']
I promise if it is the best performing I'll game it proudly and be ridiculed until the wallets come out!
[/quote]

Driver doesn't win wallets.

[quote name='SoftSeven' timestamp='1353681968' post='5969013']
I think it looks awesome. TaylorMade once again continues to lead the way and set the bar. Just wait until we start seeing this driver everyewhere...and I'm sure it's a beast off the tee.
[/quote]

One of 42 accounts TMAG has created on WRX. You speak like a copy of Golf Digest.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

This thread is so freaking awesome!

FULL ON CHINA SYNDROME! Especially from the usual suspects.

This cycle is hilarious.You can go back pre-R11 and see that the EXACT SAME reaction happened when the original superfast pics came out. "OMG look at that giant "1" on the sole! HaHa! Tm has screwed themselves this time for sure! No one is gonna play that ugly thing!" BOOM SOLD AND SOLD AND SOLD!

TM does whatever it wants. They bring these dramatic changes with every release and with every release, the HATE pours out over them. Then, inevitably, they sell the hell out of whatever it is. Now, I can't honestly say I really like the crown on this thing as an initial impression. But, i was a bandwagon jumping, torch carrying, HATER of the first white driver. I swore up and down I wouldn't ever buy one and now you will have to rip my superfast TP from my cold dead hands.

TM I am sure is paying attention to the reactions, But not too much because they are busy clearing floor space to have enough room to stack their cash. I will test drivers in the spring, I will test the 9013, the Fit Extreme, this R1 and the RBZ2 and possibly the Adams. Right [i]now [/i] I'm thinking the Fit is going to be the one. But I have no way of knowing that for sure. Because i have't hit them yet. If the R1 performs, people will buy them. How much more evidence do you need to see?

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

With all the focus being on the r1 - the rbz2 is flying under the radar.

Weight moved up - CHECK.
Slime green gone - CHECK.

This will match the ROCKETADEZ very nicely. But... Did you notice it is sharing the same or similar crown graphics as the r1? There are no pictures of it - but you can see that the theme is being carried through.

I admit that the crown is very busy - but again leading the market in change. Honestly - they had to take the next step. Everyone is moving to a non black head - as an industry leader you must again continue to push the envelop.

One thing TMaG needs to consider is that other companies are innovative too - it's not just them - and the gap is being closed. No time to be smug - start working on future ideas and projects.

I'll get flamed for this but "win the day"

Don't really care for the graphics BUT it is not a killer for the club.
I want to know more about the tech changes to the driver.....what has changed?
How will it improve my driving? TM... Hello

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1353684366' post='5969105']
[/quote]

Instead of talking about what we think about the looks of an r1 in a thread about r1's lets talk about what shafts you prefer in your drivers.
[/quote]

Dude, I already stated I am not a fan of the white, and how I thought the graphics might be an interesting alignment aid for a golfer to ensure they are hitting from the inside.

Are you the Wrx police?

I just don't get why people feel so strongly about something so inconsequential as a golf club.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1353685930' post='5969167']

This cycle is hilarious.You can go back pre-R11 and see that the EXACT SAME reaction happened when the original superfast pics came out. "OMG look at that giant "1" on the sole! HaHa! Tm has screwed themselves this time for sure! No one is gonna play that ugly thing!" BOOM SOLD AND SOLD AND SOLD!

TM does whatever it wants. They bring these dramatic changes with every release and with every release, the HATE pours out over them. Then, inevitably, they sell the hell out of whatever it is. Now, I can't honestly say I really like the crown on this thing as an initial impression. But, i was a bandwagon jumping, torch carrying, HATER of the first white driver. [b]I swore up and down I wouldn't ever buy one and now you will have to rip my superfast TP from my cold dead hands[/b].

TM I am sure is paying attention to the reactions, But not too much because they are busy clearing floor space to have enough room to stack their cash. I will test drivers in the spring, I will test the 9013, the Fit Extreme, this R1 and the RBZ2 and possibly the Adams. Right [i]now [/i][b] I'm thinking the Fit is going to be the one.[/b] But I have no way of knowing that for sure. Because i have't hit them yet. If the R1 performs, people will buy them. How much more evidence do you need to see?
[/quote] hold on you have to rip it from your cold dead hands but then your saying your going for a FIT

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1353687287' post='5969221']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1353685930' post='5969167']

TM does whatever it wants. They bring these dramatic changes with every release and with every release, the HATE pours out over them. Then, inevitably, they sell the hell out of whatever it is. Now, I can't honestly say I really like the crown on this thing as an initial impression. But, i was a bandwagon jumping, torch carrying, HATER of the first white driver. [b]I swore up and down I wouldn't ever buy one and now you will have to rip my superfast TP from my cold dead hands[/b].

TM I am sure is paying attention to the reactions, But not too much because they are busy clearing floor space to have enough room to stack their cash. I will test drivers in the spring, I will test the 9013, the Fit Extreme, this R1 and the RBZ2 and possibly the Adams. Right [i]now [/i][b] I'm thinking the Fit is going to be the one.[/b] But I have no way of knowing that for sure. Because i have't hit them yet. If the R1 performs, people will buy them. How much more evidence do you need to see?
[/quote] hold on you have to rip it from your cold dead hands but then your saying your going for a FIT
[/quote]

If it outperforms it of course I will. This years fit failed to do it, as did the I20, the answer, the AMP and the Adams F12. The only thing that was close was the ZL Encore and the cleveland classic and It wasn't enough to justify the cost. You can stop patting yourself on the back, thinking you caught me in some contradiction. the point about the SFTP specifically regarding how the White is no longer a deal breaker for me. In fact, i don't even really think about it anymore. Just as with this driver, should the graphics stay. Who here hasn't loved their driver, and bought another one? Nice try though.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Well it looks like the major oems are trending towards a one head for all lofts. If taylormade markets this one as well as they're capable of, it will sell.

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Oban Devotion
Titleist 913fd 15* Diamana D+
Ping i25 19*
Titleist 714 AP2/MB KBS Tour (3-P)
Vokey 52F, TVD 58M
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Not a fan of the club but I actually do like the One head many lofts concept.

As an end user this works great for me. When I want to demo a club now the options are there. They can have one head and 10 shaftes to tests.

Also if I want to get one used it will be easier off the bay or the bst. Your option is right hand or left and if the shaft works for you.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[/quote]

Passion.

We are all at some level aficionados of golf equipment.

I can't wait for the giveaway on one of these, there should only be about 10 people signing up to get it if the replys in this thread are anything to go by :)

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

I thought for certain that the paint scheme I saw, which was that one, was only for prototype purposes, not the real deal!!! Surely that jumk will not be on the retail and tour versions, I can not see tour pros swinging a club with all that going on!!! I wouldnt... I have to think that those are pre production photos! Lord please, I hope so, cause if I game it due to the amount of pop they say it has, it will have to be painted first!!!

[quote name='Jerry36' timestamp='1353602841' post='5966059']
What's the deal this year guys with hideous paint schemes?? Nike now Tmag. s it that much better for marketing purposes for a club to stand out THAT much in the hands of top pros on tv? I mean thank the dear Lord we still have Titleist, and this year Callaeay's razr fit extreme looks classic. These two especially go to show you can pack tons of technology into a club that still looks classy.
[/quote]

I agree I don't get the crown art.

TM / Titleist / Machine
WITB Link

[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1353693592' post='5969493']
I can't wait for the giveaway on one of these, there should only be about 10 people signing up to get it if the replys in this thread are anything to go by :)
[/quote]But why would you go by the replys in this thread? It would be free. Who says no to free? Would you?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='mickeytbones' timestamp='1353687175' post='5969213']
[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1353684366' post='5969105']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, I already stated I am not a fan of the white, and how I thought the graphics might be an interesting alignment aid for a golfer to ensure they are hitting from the inside.

Are you the Wrx police?

I just don't get why people feel so strongly about something so inconsequential as a golf club.
[/quote]
I agree. So why does it get you so worked up that people discuss golf clubs on a golf forum. If you read your posts, you seem to think you are the wrx police.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1353693301' post='5969477']
[/quote]

Passion.

We are all at some level aficionados of golf equipment.
[/quote]

I understand being passionate about the game, and attempting to find the best setup possible.

But once you are getting optimal numbers, there is no such thing as better than optimal.

I love golf equipment, and hang out at a local Top 100 fitter more than I should (often in hopes of seeing equipment reps reveal their lines before shops get them in).

But if I don't like something, I don't tell the rep: "Dude, your equipment is rubbish, it looks like rubbish, and you have bad breath!!!"

[/quote]

It's actually the defenders getting wound up. People say its ugly and others say they're crying. Makes no sense. I have a full bag of TMAG at least twice a year so I'm just being honest.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22