2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Losing Rangefinder/GPS

Hi All,

In the past few months I have purchased a GPS unit and a rangefinder. I can now confirm that both units have unfortunately gone to another home...

First to go was the GPS as it fell out of my buggie after some extended putting practice which had me loading my gear in to the car at night and with the unit being black, I didnt see it fall out and it was never handed back in (didnt think it would as I was playing at a public course and it was in the carpark)

Second to go was my rangefinder yesterday, playing a 9 hole twilight comp at my home course I can remember the last time I used it but I am believe that what happened is either a) I have left it on my buggie, walked off and had it drop off or b) had it stolen out of my bag as I saw some people get close to my bag whilst I was standing a little away from it. Again it was not handed back in and worst thing is the two groups directly behind me saw me looking for it and conveniently didnt seem to know anything about it...

My question is how do I prevent this happening again as it is becoming an expensive experience to have to replace these units! I dont want a lecture on how I should take better care of my belongings as I know all that already and I really do try to look after my things. Just trying to get an idea of what techniques and habits people get themselves in to to ensure this doesnt happen to anyone else!

Ideally us golfers should stick together and hand things back in (like I do!) but unfortunately that is not the case!

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the garmin S1 watch GPS. It stays on my wrist the intire round and gives me all the info I need while on the course. Your problem is exactly why I dont have the hand held model. I get to my ball, look at the watch for the distance for the front,middle and back of the green. Pick a club and make my swing. It also measues shots. If I hit a big drive I just push a button and set it for distance. Walk to my ball and it tells exactly how far I hit it. I also use it to get the distances with each iron so that helps me to choose the right club. Light as a feather and works like a charm.

Problem solved.

Handicap 7.7

For my range finder, I bought one of these covers:
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tour-V2-SKINZ-Rangefinder/dp/B004RA2LLA

It both protects it, and let's it stand out a bit more. Why not attach some long string to it and your bag, like a 10 foot piece or something?

I left a GX-3i in a cart about 9 months ago. They had some college guys cleaning out the carts so I figured my chances of getting it back were slim. When I called in about an hour later to see if anyone found it, to my "surprise" they said no. I was really bummed out but I learned my lesson.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I found a rangefinder on a tee box once and turned it in to the marshall and he looked absolutely shocked that someone would actually turn something like that in. I figure if I lost something that expensive I would want someone to do the right thing and turn it in so why shouldn't I?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond Driver 9*
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond 3W 15*

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 3 Hybrid 18*

Srixon U85 4 iron

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Z
Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track
Garmin Approach Z30 Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

[list]
[*]I covered the black case of my rangefinder with red reflective tape. It makes it stand out more in the dark cart glove-box.
[*]There is a dedicated pocket in my golf bag where the RF lives.
[*]I try to make it a habit of putting the laser away getting my last approach number on #18.
[*]I have also applied a shaft label to my RF. It has my [b]name, cell number and "reward if found"[/b] on it.
[/list]

Even with all those fixes, I have "lost" my rangefinder twice. Once in Myrtle beach as we were racing in to beat the weather at the TPC course. The thing must have flown out of the cart. I realized it the next day on hole #1, immediately called the other course,and they had it. Someone found it on the cartpath on #18.

The second time was here at home at a course named Grandview. I don't know what happened (brainfart) but I left my RF and a hat in the cart. I called the course then next day and they also had it in their shop. We were one of the last groups of the day so I was hoping it was found by a course employee and not a patron.

Interestingly enough,[b] neither course called me [/b]even though my contact label is clearly visible. I was very lucky both times to get it back. That initial feeling when you realize its gone sucks.

When I walk, I have a device that attaches the RF to my speedcart. It would be much more difficult to misplace it because it sits on the handle of the cart, always visible.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='bhj83' timestamp='1359039603' post='6288593']
I found a rangefinder on a tee box once and turned it in to the marshall and he looked absolutely shocked that someone would actually turn something like that in. I figure if I lost something that expensive I would want someone to do the right thing and turn it in so why shouldn't I?
[/quote]

Good boy!!! - Have you found my R11S head cover too?

Lost my range finder mid-last season ... Called the pro shop & identified my model and they had it!!! - I was shocked ... The guy in the shop said he's got a draw full of
them

i always turn in lost merchandise on a golf course ... unless I find a sleeve of Pro V's lol

Golf is a gentlemen's game. To bad all golfers are not gentlemen.

The routine you develop is the only thing that will truly save you. First thing I do after a round is take a inventory. Wallet out of bag. In it's place goes the distance measuring device. etc...

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

sad subject for me , playing a round i have a leica 1600 range finder( long range for hunting) that can easily get out to 1500 yds but costs was almost 900 and it fell out at a course with only one group behind me and i had used on the previous tee, after going back and asking they had a pause and a " nope we havent seen it " . so started using my phone for gps and it has fallen out 2x but has been recovered both times thanks to a gps tracker i have.

the watch sounds good but i can see it bugging me as i dont like anything on my wrists while golfing. need a good solution myself.

The best solution is to never put yourself in a position where you could get jacked. I NEVER take my eye off my bag, ESPECIALLY if I see people standing around it. If I go into the pro shop, get balls at the machine, or whatever I might be doing, I never put myself in a situation where I don't have a clear view of my bag. If I do know ahead of time I'll be going somewhere the bag won't visible, I'll take it with me. Or, if that's not an option (ie. if I'm going to the bathroom) I'll kindly ask someone around me if they can keep a quick eye on it. Ask someone whose facing your bag, so you don't have to hinder them by requesting they turn around to look at it. And if you suspect someone might know something but isn't speaking up, don't be afraid to ask again.

"Nice guys finish last." While this is hardly ever true, there are some instances where it is.

[quote name='mizman87' timestamp='1358993614' post='6286117']
I dont want a lecture on how I should take better care of my belongings as I know all that already and I really do try to look after my things.
[/quote]
Unfortunately.....this is really what you need!! Seriously......you lost both? I know where my laser is at all times........there is no chance of me losing it. I keep it in the same place in the cart all the times and there is no possible chance of [i]"misplacing"[/i] it. If I go in the clubhouse at the turn, I sometimes put it in my bag before I leave the 9th green depending on where I am playing. In the very least....I'll make sure its concealed before I go in.

[quote name='BuckeyePaul01' timestamp='1359076578' post='6292705']
I dont want a lecture on how I should take better care of my belongings as I know all that already and I really do try to look after my things.
[/quote]
Unfortunately.....this is really what you need!! Seriously......you lost both?
[/quote]

My exact thoughts after initially reading the OP

[quote name='mizman87' timestamp='1359056090' post='6290575']
I think I will buy a protective skin for my new RF which stands out and then devote a pocket in my bag for it rather than leaving it out in the open for people to be tempted by then at the conclusion of my round take an inventory of my valuables and ensure they are all packed away.
[/quote]That's how I do it, stays in its case in a pocket, once I begin to play I remove it from the case (Leupold=small) but it stays in that one pocket at all times. I use it in tandem with my Garmin G5 which I have a case for as well which clips nicely to my towel ring. If I need the range finder I pull it out use it then it's replaced back into the pocket, NEVER placed in the cart EVER...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I had a GX-3 lifted from my golf cart during a tournament - yes, a tournament - and I thought I know who took it, confronted them, they denied it, asked the club, they 'say' they looked for it, but I never got it back. Absolutely infuriating.

These days, my rangefinder stays in my golf bag. I don't share it, nor do I put in in the 1) cupholder, or 2) front tray, or 3) basket behind the seat, or 4) anybody else's hand. And if I go in for a Coke at the turn, it goes with me (along with my wallet and cell phone). And I recommend the same to anyone who wants to hold onto their expensive, easily concealed equipment.

Yeah, I know that makes me an a-hole. Too bad. Get ripped off, then see if you feel the same way.

That is a shame no one can be trust worthy. Lucky my GPS is attached to my bag so no dropping out. Now if i am at a course i never been to i will keep it on me till i am near bag or cart.

I would also move!!! I know not always possible. My home course i leave it sitting out and no one ever bothers my bag, they do have cameras and will slam down hard on people that steal.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I have not lost my V2 yet but did leave it on a par 3 tee box once at my club and realized it on my 2nd shot on the next hole. Fortunately, went back and it was still there but no one else had come through.yet

Two of my partners have lost their rangefinders leaving them in the cart after the round. Here's what I do to prevent that. I take it out of my bag on the first hole and then clip the Orange carry case to my bag and put the V2 in the cupholder or front compartment, If I don't remember to put it away after my second shot on 18 that Orange case reminds me it's still out. i also have the blue silicone cover with my name on it but that can be easily removed. That will only help the honest people who might find it get it back to me.

So far so good

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Reflective tape on the cover...so it doesn't blend in with the cart or grass.

Other than that, routine....since I use it pretty much on everyshot, doesn't take lone to notice it's gone....as well taking a full inventory of gear (e.g. not using it so put it away for good) before I putt on 18 helps as well.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[quote name='hbear' timestamp='1359263784' post='6306645']

Other than that, routine....since I use it pretty much on everyshot, doesn't take lone to notice it's gone....as well taking a full inventory of gear (e.g. not using it so put it away for good) before I putt on 18 helps as well.
[/quote]

+1. If you start doing something often enough, it becomes a routine and then you'll do it without thinking.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1358997278' post='6286473']
For my range finder, I bought one of these covers:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tour-V2-SKINZ-Rangefinder/dp/B004RA2LLA"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004RA2LLA[/url]

It both protects it, and let's it stand out a bit more. Why not attach some long string to it and your bag, like a 10 foot piece or something?
[/quote]
+1 to this, I have the Callaway/Nikon model which is bright yellow with a bright yellow case. Was bit turned off by the color at first but was too good a deal to pass up, now I'm greatful for the color as it has helped me spot it at least once after it fell from the cart. Designating a spot (in the cart, in your bag) is also crucial.

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1359294634' post='6307585']
[quote name='hbear' timestamp='1359263784' post='6306645']

[/quote]

+1. If you start doing something often enough, it becomes a routine and then you'll do it without thinking.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the OP seems to be getting into the routine of losing them :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stinger12345' timestamp='1359076659' post='6292715']
[quote name='BuckeyePaul01' timestamp='1359076578' post='6292705']
[/quote]
Unfortunately.....this is really what you need!! Seriously......you lost both?
[/quote]

My exact thoughts after initially reading the OP
[/quote]
Don't be so tough love on the guy... At least he was smart enough to buy those mittens with the length of yarn holding them together... Lol