Mass best in state Golf Digest rankings 2013

cubiclegolfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive played pinehills country club in plymouth,ma in 2011 and that course was absolutely gorgeous. at the time was rated one of the top 10 best public courses in the country. id suggest getting out on that whenever possible

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

I was going to write that the saddest thing is that all 20 are private, but I discovered that the Oaks at The International is open to the public. But still, it's sad that 19 of 20 are private. (Not sour grapes -- I've played 6 of those privates, and belong to a private club myself.) But that's the way it goes in the Northeast -- NY, NJ, and PA are just as bad in that regard.

The other interesting thing is that 14 of the 20 were designed before 1930, and the rest after 1990. There was a huge dead period for quality golf course design in between.

[quote name='crcraig' timestamp='1361393693' post='6467079']
I was going to write that the saddest thing is that all 20 are private, but I discovered that the Oaks at The International is open to the public. But still, it's sad that 19 of 20 are private. (Not sour grapes -- I've played 6 of those privates, and belong to a private club myself.) But that's the way it goes in the Northeast -- NY, NJ, and PA are just as bad in that regard.

The other interesting thing is that 14 of the 20 were designed before 1930, and the rest after 1990. There was a huge dead period for quality golf course design in between.
[/quote]

Taconic is also open to the public, and TPC Boston is relatively accessible (there are a few days a year when anybody can get out). But 3 out of 20 isn't any great shakes either.

I also found the new/old split interesting. My hypothesis is actually that any such list is always going to be about 1/3rd "contemporary" courses, with the old standards holding up the bulk of it. In 20 years, I suspect that the most of the 14 old courses will still be on the list, and a bunch of newer courses will supplant the "young" courses on the current list.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359723948' post='6342601']
[quote name='cubiclegolfer' timestamp='1359654647' post='6337313']
Thoughts? I think the list is pretty well thought out. I am impressed by Old Sandwich rapid ascension, but from what I have heard about the course and the experience, I am not surprised. Very few people have probably had the privilege of playing the composite course at TCC, which they don't even rank here. If they did, it would be above Clyde Squirrel. I played Essex recently and was VERY impressed by the layout and feel of the club. What a gem. I heard Myopia is a similar oasis. Having played Salem 3 times, I can imagine what that course looks like when tricked out for a senior open or big time qualifier. Difficult track. Last time I played Winchester it was under major renovations. I wonder if that helped them make the list this year? My guess is Worcester should probably be ranked higher based on what I have heard about that course. I have a feeling it might suffer from location bias. I am sure some people disagree with Eastward Ho! being ranked higher than Hyannisport, but I am partial to the Ho, having worked in their cart barn for one of the best summers of my life. Oh, and of course I will loyally defend the TPC Boston ranking. The recent changes at the behest of the tour players has really spiced up 2 and 18. Played Charles River once and was underwhelmed by the front, but really enjoyed the back. I just need to get out on that front again, maybe the quirky first hole threw me off. Anyways, we are fortunate to live in Massachusetts with such an abundance of awesome courses, public and private.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/massachusetts"]http://www.golfdiges...husetts[/quote][/url]

1. The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill

Probably not my choice for #1, but close enough.

2. Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth

Never played it, but from what I've heard, it really doesn't compare with the Golf Club of Cape Cod, which few have played.

3. Boston G.C., Hingham

I hear it's a good track.

4. Kittansett Club, Marion

Spectacular

5. Essex County Club, Manchester

I'm not sure Essex would make my Top 5, but a great course

6. Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton

There's no way Myopia shouldn't make the Top 5 in my opinion

7. Salem C.C., Peabody

Over-rated in my opinion

8. Nantucket G.C., Siasconset (pictured above)

Wouldn't make the Top 10 if it wasn't on Nantucket

9. Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham

Is this really still a Top 10 Golf Course??

10. The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton

I'm a Member at The International and it wouldn't make my Top 10 (nor many of the Member's), by any stretch of the imagination.

11. TPC Boston, Norton

Ewww ... a thoroughly average golf course that wouldn't make my Top 20

12. Winchester C.C., Winchester

Awesome course, it might make my #10

13. Turner Hill G.C., Ipswich

Never played it, but probably will this year. I'm surprised it's so high on the list

14. Charles River C.C., Newton Centre
15. Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro
16. Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset
17. Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port
18. Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville
[color=#ff0000][b]19. Taconic G.C., Williamstown[/b][/color]

The above are well past their prime in my opinion and need major renovation to make this sort of list

20. Worcester C.C., Worcester

Worcester not in the Top 10, on a ranking that's so biased towards Ross courses? Shame on GD for slighting Worcester C.C. ! On history alone, I think Worcester and Myopia should make the Top 10 ... never mind that they're spectacular courses, that have stood the test of time.
[/quote]

Taconic GC was renovated in 2009(?) by Gil Hanse. Lengthened, bunkers added, etc. I know its just about in New York but it is a great track.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I will put my 2cents on the courses. Agree or Disagree?

[b][color=#282828]1. The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill[/color][/b]
The CC is a special place, filled with history. I don't see it as the best course. Maybe if you add in all the factors that the raters scale to judge it goes to #1 but not on the course alone.
[b][color=#282828]2. Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]I actually haven't played here but while in NJ I worked at a similar place Hidden Creek Golf Club another private Coore / Crenshaw design. Any Coore / Crenshaw private club deserves to be one of the best in the state. They are very picky on choosing properties, as they like to lay the course minimally on the land, Coore does most of the early stages of planning, while Crenshaw does the intimate details of the greens and course features, and C&C design even has its own bunker guy who makes every bunker its own. Its an experience from the moment you step on to the tee or in the club house.[/color]
[b][color=#282828]3. Boston G.C., Hingham[/color][/b]
Truly spectacular with an old school feel for a new course. I give Hanse credit for ending it on a par-3.
[b][color=#282828]4. Kittansett Club, Marion[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]I was a golf professional here before I came out to the west coast. Over the last few years the members have restored the course to some of Flynn's original plans that were never implemented. Such examples are bunkering on #4 and #7 off the tee, excessive removal of trees, and major work done by Gil Hanse on the 13th hole (One of my favorite par-4 anywhere) One third of Kittansett membership is TCC members and most will tell you Kittansett is a better course than TCC.[/color]
[b][color=#282828]5. Essex County Club, Manchester[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]I compare this course to Eastward Ho... not long, but a spectacular design. What is unique about Essex is how long Donald Ross spent there and how you can see a little bit of his tenure of style & design on each of the holes. Most Ross courses are uniformed, this one is not and makes it worthy.[/color]
[b][color=#282828]9. Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]Most unique course on the Cape. (I grew up on the Cape). Every time I've played EHCC the course was in the best overall condition anywhere. Yes, it's rolling terrain but the course sits on the land perfectly. You will find holes here unlike anywhere else in the world. The club house alone is worth the drive in.[/color]
[b][color=#282828]11. TPC Boston, Norton[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]This course could be anywhere. Not a huge fan of Palmer design. Great work in the redesign [/color][color=#282828]by Hanse and Faxon.[/color]
[b][color=#282828]13. Turner Hill G.C., Ipswich[/color][/b]
Long, wide, with big greens and bunkers not your traditional courses in New England but some really nice surroundings.
[b][color=#282828]17. Hyannisport Club, Hyannis [/color][/b]
[color=#282828]I don't see all the hype. Yes, its in a beautiful area, but the course lay out is far from spectacular. A few great holes (3,4,5 and 17) and the rest blah. It seems like you're traveling up the hill and down the hill constantly. Lack of variety in hole direction and possess only a few holes that aren't straight. Greens are usually the best condition I play all year... smooth, fast and roll as true as anywhere.[/color]
[b][color=#282828]20. Worcester C.C., Worcester[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]Only played it once but was impressed. Just a solid and strategic 18 holes.[/color]

[b][color=#282828]The Golf Club of Cape Cod[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]I played the course in 09' and had mixed feelings. Rees Jones has a thing of elevating fairways and putting bunkers below them and he used natural brush areas with pine trees off almost every fairway. If you play most courses in New England they clare out the brush under those trees. I thought the course was in great condition and offered a lot of natural beauty and elevation changes. Could use a few less blind shots into elevated green. I'd rank it 15 and above... [/color]

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jeremyblre21' timestamp='1372872137' post='7381634']

[b][color=#282828]1. The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill[/color][/b]
The CC is a special place, filled with history. I don't see it as the best course. Maybe if you add in all the factors that the raters scale to judge it goes to #1 but not on the course alone.
[color=#282828]I actually haven't played here but while in NJ I worked at a similar place Hidden Creek Golf Club another private Coore / Crenshaw design. Any Coore / Crenshaw private club deserves to be one of the best in the state. They are very picky on choosing properties, as they like to lay the course minimally on the land, Coore does most of the early stages of planning, while Crenshaw does the intimate details of the greens and course features, and C&C design even has its own bunker guy who makes every bunker its own. Its an experience from the moment you step on to the tee or in the club house.[/color]
Truly spectacular with an old school feel for a new course. I give Hanse credit for ending it on a par-3.
[color=#282828]I was a golf professional here before I came out to the west coast. Over the last few years the members have restored the course to some of Flynn's original plans that were never implemented. Such examples are bunkering on #4 and #7 off the tee, excessive removal of trees, and major work done by Gil Hanse on the 13th hole (One of my favorite par-4 anywhere) One third of Kittansett membership is TCC members and most will tell you Kittansett is a better course than TCC.[/color]
[color=#282828]I compare this course to Eastward Ho... not long, but a spectacular design. What is unique about Essex is how long Donald Ross spent there and how you can see a little bit of his tenure of style & design on each of the holes. Most Ross courses are uniformed, this one is not and makes it worthy.[/color]
[color=#282828]Most unique course on the Cape. (I grew up on the Cape). Every time I've played EHCC the course was in the best overall condition anywhere. Yes, it's rolling terrain but the course sits on the land perfectly. You will find holes here unlike anywhere else in the world. The club house alone is worth the drive in.[/color]
[color=#282828]This course could be anywhere. Not a huge fan of Palmer design. Great work in the redesign [/color][color=#282828]by Hanse and Faxon.[/color]
Long, wide, with big greens and bunkers not your traditional courses in New England but some really nice surroundings.
[color=#282828]I don't see all the hype. Yes, its in a beautiful area, but the course lay out is far from spectacular. A few great holes (3,4,5 and 17) and the rest blah. It seems like you're traveling up the hill and down the hill constantly. Lack of variety in hole direction and possess only a few holes that aren't straight. Greens are usually the best condition I play all year... smooth, fast and roll as true as anywhere.[/color]
[color=#282828]Only played it once but was impressed. Just a solid and strategic 18 holes.[/color]

[color=#282828]I played the course in 09' and had mixed feelings. Rees Jones has a thing of elevating fairways and putting bunkers below them and he used natural brush areas with pine trees off almost every fairway. If you play most courses in New England they clare out the brush under those trees. I thought the course was in great condition and offered a lot of natural beauty and elevation changes. Could use a few less blind shots into elevated green. I'd rank it 15 and above... [/color]
[/quote]

Good post. Played Eastward Ho! last week. A fantastic track on a great piece of property.

I've been fortunate to have played some of the top courses in the US and this has a solid spot in my top 10. If it were longer it would be in my top 5. A true gem!

[quote name='coloradosprout' timestamp='1374288036' post='7496072']

[/quote]

Good post. Played Eastward Ho! last week. A fantastic track on a great piece of property.

I've been fortunate to have played some of the top courses in the US and this has a solid spot in my top 10. If it were longer it would be in my top 5. A true gem!
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more... if the course just had more length it would be more noted. Unfortunately almost every hole doesn't posses any room behind the tee. The course is far from a push over at its current length and when the conditions become firm and the wind blows its a solid test from tee to green.

Positives- Amazing condition, great views, strategic layout, holes unlike anywhere else, club house

Negatives - lack of practice facilities, length, only bad stretch is 12 or 13... 2 short holes in a row. If one could be longer the lay out would be ideal as can be

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

Just a few of my own opinions...

TCC - Championship layout is great, regular track is pretty good.
BGC - not a fan. Some really good holes, some really bizarre holes. #9 on my list.
Kitty - way more fun to play than TCC. Just need a good Category 3 Hurricane to flatten all the inland trees.
Myopia - I like it a touch more than Essex.
Winchester - huge improvements in past few years. I like it more than Essex, too. Course improves after weak opening hole.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jeremyblre21' timestamp='1374340041' post='7499028']
[quote name='coloradosprout' timestamp='1374288036' post='7496072']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more... if the course just had more length it would be more noted. Unfortunately almost every hole doesn't posses any room behind the tee. The course is far from a push over at its current length and when the conditions become firm and the wind blows its a solid test from tee to green.

Positives- Amazing condition, great views, strategic layout, holes unlike anywhere else, club house

Negatives - lack of practice facilities, length, only bad stretch is 12 or 13... 2 short holes in a row. If one could be longer the lay out would be ideal as can be
[/quote]

The lack of practice facilities is a bummer. 12 and 13 didn't bother me too much. The day I played we had the opposite of normal wind direction so those holes played downwind which made them play even shorter.

Bottom line is I could play Eastward Ho! every day without fail and not get bored.

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1374626689' post='7525920']
Just curious as to which holes at BGC you think are "bizarre?" Agreed on the trees at Kittansett, and on it being a very fun round.
[/quote]

Perhaps bizarre was a bit too strong.

#5 springs to mind first; I am not a fan of the green complex. #15 (if memory serves): why is there a tree in the tee box? Lots and lots of blind tee shots. Generally not a fan of the par 3s and their greens, although I think #8 is my favorite hole on the course. Strange routing, although I know this was done out of necessity.

Just my opinions. I know the majority of people who have played it enjoy it more than me.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359753607' post='6345613']
[quote name='raynorfan1' timestamp='1359737407' post='6343841']
I don't find TPC Boston to be anything special. But it probably is in my Top 30 in Massachusetts. We don't have 30 "special" courses in the state. It's just a numbers game. Looking back through your comments above, there only seem to be 7 courses that you deem "Top 10" worthy...
[/quote]

1. Myopia
2. Kittansett
3. TCC
4. CC of Cape Cod
5. Worcester
6. Essex
7. Winchester

8/10 Boston GC, Old Sandwich, Nantucket, Oyster Harbors, Salem CC, New Seabury

There's 13, 12 of which were mentioned.
[/quote]

Whats your reasoning for your 4,5,6 ahead of BGC, OS and Nantucket......

OS in particular..

• 2 weeks later...

[color=#282828]1. The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill [/color][color=#ff0000]Not as good as #2[/color]
[color=#282828]2. Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth [/color][color=#ff0000]Will be top 30 on national lists from now on..that good[/color]
[color=#282828]3. Boston G.C., Hingham [/color][color=#ff0000]Unique green complexes..wasn't a huge fan...rank out of top 15[/color]
[color=#282828]4. Kittansett Club, Marion [/color][color=#ff0000]personally think that stretch of holes from 9-14 are boring..could take or leave the place..should be ranked 11-15[/color]
[color=#282828]5. Essex County Club, Manchester [/color][color=#ff0000]fun, fair course[/color]
[color=#282828]6. Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton [/color][color=#ff0000]top 3[/color]
[color=#282828]7. Salem C.C., Peabody [/color][color=#ff0000]top 5[/color]
[color=#282828]8. Nantucket G.C., Siasconset (pictured above) [/color][color=#ff0000]not as good as Sankaty..top 12 though[/color]
[color=#282828]9. Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham [/color][color=#ff0000]3rd best course on cape behind Cape Cod National and Hyport..would rather play sleeper Pocasset too[/color]
[color=#282828]10. The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton [/color][color=#ff0000]shouldve made this course private and open up the other[/color][color=#ff0000] [/color]
[color=#282828]11. TPC Boston, Norton [/color][color=#ff0000]please[/color]
[color=#282828]12. Winchester C.C., Winchester [/color][color=#ff0000]Forse redesign pumped life back into it..for a Ross the first hole is uncharacteristically tight, and weak[/color]
[color=#282828]13. Turner Hill G.C., Ipswich [/color][color=#ff0000]fun fun fun..top 10 easily[/color]
[color=#282828]14. Charles River C.C., Newton Centre [/color][color=#ff0000]meh, could be any other Ross inside 128[/color]
[color=#282828]15. Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro [/color][color=#ff0000]great redesign..weak 18 sours experience[/color]
[color=#282828]16. Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset [/color][color=#ff0000]top 5 gem..4th uphill towards lighthouse is fantastic[/color]
[color=#282828]17. Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port [/color][color=#ff0000]another Forse redesign, vintage Ross..ocean from every hole..top 5[/color]
[color=#282828]18. Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville [/color][color=#ff0000]built it on an island but you can only see the ocean for a nanosecond..opportunity loss[/color]
[color=#282828]19. Taconic G.C., Williamstown [/color][color=#ff0000]as good as it gets in the fall[/color]
[color=#282828]20. Worcester C.C., Worcester [/color][color=#FF0000]took out all the trees and put in fescue..appearance due to 1st Ryder cup[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]Just my $.02[/color]

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I had the pleasure of watching my young friend compete in the "Junior Ryder Cup" sponsored by Deutsche Bank at the Boston Golf Club this past weekend (New England triumphed over the rest of the United States).

What a wonderful facility. Each hole is a work of art, so unique, so sublime. I've played some of the top courses in New England and they can't hold a candle to the BGC.

Please note that is simply my opinion. I don't want to get into a "you don't know what you're talking about" thing. :-)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359723948' post='6342601']
[quote name='cubiclegolfer' timestamp='1359654647' post='6337313']
Thoughts? I think the list is pretty well thought out. I am impressed by Old Sandwich rapid ascension, but from what I have heard about the course and the experience, I am not surprised. Very few people have probably had the privilege of playing the composite course at TCC, which they don't even rank here. If they did, it would be above Clyde Squirrel. I played Essex recently and was VERY impressed by the layout and feel of the club. What a gem. I heard Myopia is a similar oasis. Having played Salem 3 times, I can imagine what that course looks like when tricked out for a senior open or big time qualifier. Difficult track. Last time I played Winchester it was under major renovations. I wonder if that helped them make the list this year? My guess is Worcester should probably be ranked higher based on what I have heard about that course. I have a feeling it might suffer from location bias. I am sure some people disagree with Eastward Ho! being ranked higher than Hyannisport, but I am partial to the Ho, having worked in their cart barn for one of the best summers of my life. Oh, and of course I will loyally defend the TPC Boston ranking. The recent changes at the behest of the tour players has really spiced up 2 and 18. Played Charles River once and was underwhelmed by the front, but really enjoyed the back. I just need to get out on that front again, maybe the quirky first hole threw me off. Anyways, we are fortunate to live in Massachusetts with such an abundance of awesome courses, public and private.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/massachusetts"]http://www.golfdiges...husetts[/quote][/url]

1. The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill

Probably not my choice for #1, but close enough.

2. Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth

Never played it, but from what I've heard, it really doesn't compare with the Golf Club of Cape Cod, which few have played.

3. Boston G.C., Hingham

I hear it's a good track.

4. Kittansett Club, Marion

Spectacular

5. Essex County Club, Manchester

I'm not sure Essex would make my Top 5, but a great course

6. Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton

There's no way Myopia shouldn't make the Top 5 in my opinion

7. Salem C.C., Peabody

Over-rated in my opinion

8. Nantucket G.C., Siasconset (pictured above)

Wouldn't make the Top 10 if it wasn't on Nantucket

9. Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham

Is this really still a Top 10 Golf Course??

10. The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton

I'm a Member at The International and it wouldn't make my Top 10 (nor many of the Member's), by any stretch of the imagination.

11. TPC Boston, Norton

Ewww ... a thoroughly average golf course that wouldn't make my Top 20

12. Winchester C.C., Winchester

Awesome course, it might make my #10

13. Turner Hill G.C., Ipswich

Never played it, but probably will this year. I'm surprised it's so high on the list

14. Charles River C.C., Newton Centre
15. Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro
16. Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset
17. Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port
18. Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville
19. Taconic G.C., Williamstown

The above are well past their prime in my opinion and need major renovation to make this sort of list

20. Worcester C.C., Worcester

Worcester not in the Top 10, on a ranking that's so biased towards Ross courses? Shame on GD for slighting Worcester C.C. ! On history alone, I think Worcester and Myopia should make the Top 10 ... never mind that they're spectacular courses, that have stood the test of time.
[/quote]

Why wouldn't the International make the cut for you or other members? What do you dislike about the club?

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390783519' post='8539361']
[quote name='CentralMassGolfer' timestamp='1390782976' post='8539305']
Why wouldn't the International make the cut for you or other members? What do you dislike about the club?
[/quote]

It's just not great golf course, certainly not a Top 10-15 in the MA. Probably makes the Top 5 with public access.
[/quote]

Best in the metrowest/cenral area or do you think there are other solid contenders? Does a Charter Oak beat the International? I am thinking about joining one of these courses in our area, having a hard time deciding the best place. thx

[quote name='CentralMassGolfer' timestamp='1390784570' post='8539471']
[/quote]

It's just not great golf course, certainly not a Top 10-15 in the MA. Probably makes the Top 5 with public access.
[/quote]

Best in the metrowest/cenral area or do you think there are other solid contenders? Does a Charter Oak beat the International? I am thinking about joining one of these courses in our area, having a hard time deciding the best place. thx
[/quote]

I wouldn't play Charter Oak if it was free.

I wouldn't[quote name='CentralMassGolfer' timestamp='1390784570' post='8539471']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't play Charter Oak if it was free. Actually, I've been invited there "free" a few times ... zero interest.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390785912' post='8539585']
I wouldn't[quote name='CentralMassGolfer' timestamp='1390784570' post='8539471']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't play Charter Oak if it was free. Actually, I've been invited there "free" a few times ... zero interest.
[/quote]

Not a fan of the layout at Charter Oak? Is there anywhere in the vicinity of The International that stacks up in your opinion? I'm looking for suggestions for a club in our area.

[quote name='CentralMassGolfer' timestamp='1390786358' post='8539649']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390785912' post='8539585']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not a fan of the layout at Charter Oak? Is there anywhere in the vicinity of The International that stacks up in your opinion? I'm looking for suggestions for a club in our area.
[/quote]

Send me a PM if you want.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359726081' post='6342761']
[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1359724544' post='6342653']
Golf Club of Cape Cod - has to be in Mass top 10

the fact it isnt in the top 20? - challenges credibility of the entire list
[/quote]

A friend of mine was the developer of that course. When I played it I told him ... "I've played Royal County Down, Ballybunion, a lot of the great courses in the world & the Golf Club of Cape Cod is the best golf course I've ever played, that doesn't have a lake, ocean or mountain to improve the scenary. 17 spectacular holes and one good hole."
[/quote]

Golf Club of Cape Cod isn't nearly as private as some on the top 15. It's not that people haven't played it, it's just not as "liked" as the ones above it.

I've played BGC, Kittansett, and TPC Boston.

BGC- Loved it. It feels like you are transported to another time and place. My heaven would be playing this course every day.
Kittansett- Some amazing memorable holes and some forgettable ones. The wind can absolutely eat you up.
TPC Boston - post renovation it's actually a fun course. I didn't like it the first time I played it but it seems to get a little better every year.

My wish list for 2014 would be OS and Golf Club of Cape Cod. Both look fantastic.

[quote name='jwm1' timestamp='1391443941' post='8590088']

BGC- Loved it. It feels like you are transported to another time and place. My heaven would be playing this course every day.
Kittansett- Some amazing memorable holes and some forgettable ones. The wind can absolutely eat you up.
TPC Boston - post renovation it's actually a fun course. I didn't like it the first time I played it but it seems to get a little better every year.

My wish list for 2014 would be OS and Golf Club of Cape Cod. Both look fantastic.
[/quote]

I've walked the Boston Golf Club a number of times watching someone play in tournaments there. The place is magical. Must be terrific to play it.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1391456289' post='8591404']
[quote name='jwm1' timestamp='1391443941' post='8590088']

[/quote]

I've walked the Boston Golf Club a number of times watching someone play in tournaments there. The place is magical. Must be terrific to play it.
[/quote]

I played it once, Sean - in the rain. Not a casual rain. A hard, steady, they-should-have-cancelled-the-outing type of rain. Despite playing on those conditions, it's still one of the most stunning courses I've played. I don't know that I'll get a repeat invite, so I might have to just live off my memory - but it's a real gem.