Mass best in state Golf Digest rankings 2013

cubiclegolfer

Thoughts? I think the list is pretty well thought out. I am impressed by Old Sandwich rapid ascension, but from what I have heard about the course and the experience, I am not surprised. Very few people have probably had the privilege of playing the composite course at TCC, which they don't even rank here. If they did, it would be above Clyde Squirrel. I played Essex recently and was VERY impressed by the layout and feel of the club. What a gem. I heard Myopia is a similar oasis. Having played Salem 3 times, I can imagine what that course looks like when tricked out for a senior open or big time qualifier. Difficult track. Last time I played Winchester it was under major renovations. I wonder if that helped them make the list this year? My guess is Worcester should probably be ranked higher based on what I have heard about that course. I have a feeling it might suffer from location bias. I am sure some people disagree with Eastward Ho! being ranked higher than Hyannisport, but I am partial to the Ho, having worked in their cart barn for one of the best summers of my life. Oh, and of course I will loyally defend the TPC Boston ranking. The recent changes at the behest of the tour players has really spiced up 2 and 18. Played Charles River once and was underwhelmed by the front, but really enjoyed the back. I just need to get out on that front again, maybe the quirky first hole threw me off. Anyways, we are fortunate to live in Massachusetts with such an abundance of awesome courses, public and private.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/massachusetts

1. The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill

2. Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth

3. Boston G.C., Hingham

4. Kittansett Club, Marion

5. Essex County Club, Manchester

6. Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton

7. Salem C.C., Peabody

8. Nantucket G.C., Siasconset (pictured above)

9. Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham

10. The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton

11. TPC Boston, Norton

12. Winchester C.C., Winchester

13. Turner Hill G.C., Ipswich

14. Charles River C.C., Newton Centre

15. Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro

16. Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset

17. Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port

18. Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville

19. Taconic G.C., Williamstown

20. Worcester C.C., Worcester

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cubiclegolfer' timestamp='1359654647' post='6337313']
Thoughts? I think the list is pretty well thought out. I am impressed by Old Sandwich rapid ascension, but from what I have heard about the course and the experience, I am not surprised. Very few people have probably had the privilege of playing the composite course at TCC, which they don't even rank here. If they did, it would be above Clyde Squirrel. I played Essex recently and was VERY impressed by the layout and feel of the club. What a gem. I heard Myopia is a similar oasis. Having played Salem 3 times, I can imagine what that course looks like when tricked out for a senior open or big time qualifier. Difficult track. Last time I played Winchester it was under major renovations. I wonder if that helped them make the list this year? My guess is Worcester should probably be ranked higher based on what I have heard about that course. I have a feeling it might suffer from location bias. I am sure some people disagree with Eastward Ho! being ranked higher than Hyannisport, but I am partial to the Ho, having worked in their cart barn for one of the best summers of my life. Oh, and of course I will loyally defend the TPC Boston ranking. The recent changes at the behest of the tour players has really spiced up 2 and 18. Played Charles River once and was underwhelmed by the front, but really enjoyed the back. I just need to get out on that front again, maybe the quirky first hole threw me off. Anyways, we are fortunate to live in Massachusetts with such an abundance of awesome courses, public and private.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/massachusetts"]http://www.golfdiges...husetts[/quote][/url]

Probably not my choice for #1, but close enough.

2. Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth

Never played it, but from what I've heard, it really doesn't compare with the Golf Club of Cape Cod, which few have played.

3. Boston G.C., Hingham

I hear it's a good track.

4. Kittansett Club, Marion

Spectacular

5. Essex County Club, Manchester

I'm not sure Essex would make my Top 5, but a great course

6. Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton

There's no way Myopia shouldn't make the Top 5 in my opinion

7. Salem C.C., Peabody

Over-rated in my opinion

8. Nantucket G.C., Siasconset (pictured above)

Wouldn't make the Top 10 if it wasn't on Nantucket

9. Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham

Is this really still a Top 10 Golf Course??

10. The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton

I'm a Member at The International and it wouldn't make my Top 10 (nor many of the Member's), by any stretch of the imagination.

11. TPC Boston, Norton

Ewww ... a thoroughly average golf course that wouldn't make my Top 20

12. Winchester C.C., Winchester

Awesome course, it might make my #10

13. Turner Hill G.C., Ipswich

Never played it, but probably will this year. I'm surprised it's so high on the list

14. Charles River C.C., Newton Centre
15. Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro
16. Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset
17. Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port
18. Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville
19. Taconic G.C., Williamstown

The above are well past their prime in my opinion and need major renovation to make this sort of list

20. Worcester C.C., Worcester

Worcester not in the Top 10, on a ranking that's so biased towards Ross courses? Shame on GD for slighting Worcester C.C. ! On history alone, I think Worcester and Myopia should make the Top 10 ... never mind that they're spectacular courses, that have stood the test of time.

[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1359724544' post='6342653']
Golf Club of Cape Cod - has to be in Mass top 10

the fact it isnt in the top 20? - challenges credibility of the entire list
[/quote]

A friend of mine was the developer of that course. When I played it I told him ... "I've played Royal County Down, Ballybunion, a lot of the great courses in the world & the Golf Club of Cape Cod is the best golf course I've ever played, that doesn't have a lake, ocean or mountain to improve the scenary. 17 spectacular holes and one good hole."

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1359720629' post='6342465']
The only one I've played on there is Boston Golf Club, and can confirm it deserves its lofty status. A stunningly beautiful course with some very unique holes.
[/quote]

I guess I have to ask, if it's the only one you've played, how can you "confirm it deserves its lofty status"? How can you be sure that it deserves to be on the list if you have no basis for comparison? It's like saying: "I've only played one round in MA, at a place called Ponkapog, and it was pretty nice, so that should definitely be top 5".

My POV on this one is that picking the top set of courses in MA (or any geography) is a relatively easy exercise. Nobody is going to quibble with most of your choices, and somebody is going to be flattered to make the list.

I've never played Golf Club of Cape Cod, but it strikes me that a club that's struggling to get membership [i]probably[/i] is not a top 10 course.

[quote name='raynorfan1' timestamp='1359728742' post='6342957']
[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1359720629' post='6342465']
The only one I've played on there is Boston Golf Club, and can confirm it deserves its lofty status. A stunningly beautiful course with some very unique holes.
[/quote]

I guess I have to ask, if it's the only one you've played, how can you "confirm it deserves its lofty status"? How can you be sure that it deserves to be on the list if you have no basis for comparison? It's like saying: "I've only played one round in MA, at a place called Ponkapog, and it was pretty nice, so that should definitely be top 5".

My POV on this one is that picking the top set of courses in MA (or any geography) is a relatively easy exercise. Nobody is going to quibble with most of your choices, and somebody is going to be flattered to make the list.

I've never played Golf Club of Cape Cod, but it strikes me that a club that's struggling to get membership [i]probably[/i] is not a top 10 course.
[/quote]

I've played quite a few oustanding courses: Winged Foot (East and West), Baltusrol (Upper and Lower), Plainfield, Oakmont, and several other highly-ranked courses. I think Boston GC ranks right up there with those, which is how I come to the conclusion that it deserves the ranking it received.

I played Golf Club of Cape Cod this past September. Spectacular course and layout; was surprised to not see it on this list. Glad to hear the praise though. The caddies there said it receives very limited play, which speaks to its condition and low praise from these lists. Sadly I have not had the priviledge of playing any of the top 20 on the list above. I hope to in the future.

[quote name='raynorfan1' timestamp='1359728742' post='6342957']

[/quote]

There's not necessarily a nexus between the quality of a golf course and a course's ability to attract members at a given price point.

[color=#282828]Nice ewww comment. Did someone piss in your Cheerios when you played there? You couldn't be farther off it being a thoroughly average course. Gil Hanse redesign puts it well within the top 20, maybe not top 15, but it deserves a spot somewhere.[/color]
[/quote]

TPC Boston is a thoroughly average golf course, that the PGA Tour eats up. You don't have to agree, but it wouldn't make my Top 30 in Massachusetts.

Very few people have probably had the privilege of playing the composite course at TCC, which they don't even rank here. If they did, it would be above Clyde Squirrel.

[/quote]

What I missing here? The composite course is the "Clyde/Squirrel course", which is apparently the course they rated #1 ?

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359736870' post='6343791']
[color=#282828]Nice ewww comment. Did someone piss in your Cheerios when you played there? You couldn't be farther off it being a thoroughly average course. Gil Hanse redesign puts it well within the top 20, maybe not top 15, but it deserves a spot somewhere.[/color]
[/quote]

TPC Boston is a thoroughly average golf course, that the PGA Tour eats up. You don't have to agree, but it wouldn't make my Top 30 in Massachusetts.
[/quote]

I don't find TPC Boston to be anything special. But it probably is in my Top 30 in Massachusetts. We don't have 30 "special" courses in the state. It's just a numbers game. Looking back through your comments above, there only seem to be 7 courses that you deem "Top 10" worthy...

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359737298' post='6343829']
Very few people have probably had the privilege of playing the composite course at TCC, which they don't even rank here. If they did, it would be above Clyde Squirrel.

[/quote]

What I missing here? The composite course is the "Clyde/Squirrel course", which is apparently the course they rated #1 ?
[/quote]

Composite Course drops 3 holes from the Clyde/Squirrel in favor of 3 from the Primrose. IMHO, the "composite" layout is longer, but not "better".

[quote name='raynorfan1' timestamp='1359737407' post='6343841']

I don't find TPC Boston to be anything special. But it probably is in my Top 30 in Massachusetts. We don't have 30 "special" courses in the state. It's just a numbers game. Looking back through your comments above, there only seem to be 7 courses that you deem "Top 10" worthy...
[/quote]

1. Myopia
2. Kittansett
3. TCC
4. CC of Cape Cod
5. Worcester
6. Essex
7. Winchester

8/10 Boston GC, Old Sandwich, Nantucket, Oyster Harbors, Salem CC, New Seabury

There's 13, 12 of which were mentioned.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#282828]Thoughts? I think the list is pretty well thought out[/color]
[/quote]

& why ask for opinions and then piss & moan when someone disagrees with you?

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359726081' post='6342761']
[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1359724544' post='6342653']
Golf Club of Cape Cod - has to be in Mass top 10

the fact it isnt in the top 20? - challenges credibility of the entire list
[/quote]

A friend of mine was the developer of that course. When I played it I told him ... "I've played Royal County Down, Ballybunion, a lot of the great courses in the world & the Golf Club of Cape Cod is the best golf course I've ever played, that doesn't have a lake, ocean or mountain to improve the scenary. 17 spectacular holes and one good hole."
[/quote]

i've been fortunate to play it 4x - was in awe after the first time. almost every tee shot is demanding.
i have played in tournaments where 75 was low - that included the best local club professionals in the state.

curious as to the 1 good hole (#7? short par 4 that you have to lay up off the tee and the green is little funky)?

dont understand the disparaging comment - from someone that hasnt played it?
really - damages credibility to have anything but praise for GCCC

oh, 1 negative = driving range across the street requires cart shuttle.

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1359765286' post='6346671']

i've been fortunate to play it 4x - was in awe after the first time. almost every tee shot is demanding.
i have played in tournaments where 75 was low - that included the best local club professionals in the state.

curious as to the 1 good hole (#7? short par 4 that you have to lay up off the tee and the green is little funky)?

[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the hole I thought was only "good", was 17 ... Par 3, with some water ? Of course, I think I made double-bogey there and my friend Charlie Passios the General Manage happened to be driving by ... stopped on the tee, grabbed one of my clubs and hit it about 2'.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359753910' post='6345659']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Augusta National gets eaten up most years. Doesn't mean it's not a good course.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359753910' post='6345659']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not pissing and moaning. Thought your comment was a bit over the top. So I pm'ed you. You posted said PM, not surprising I guess given your personality on this forum. Good day.

[quote name='raynorfan1' timestamp='1359737563' post='6343861']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359737298' post='6343829']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Composite Course drops 3 holes from the Clyde/Squirrel in favor of 3 from the Primrose. IMHO, the "composite" layout is longer, but not "better".
[/quote]

Really, I think the way they stretch 1 on the primrose to 2 green on primrose, which I believe plays as 11 or 12 on the composite is a great hole. Followed by 8 on the Primrose which plays as a par 5 for members and a very difficult par 4 for pros, nice one two punch there I think. The short downhill par 3 on the bak that they eliminate for the composite is well thought out I think. But agree that length doesn't make a layout better neccessarily.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1359918623' post='6355783']
[quote name='cubiclegolfer' timestamp='1359917334' post='6355661']
Augusta National gets eaten up most years. Doesn't mean it's not a good course.
[/quote]

HIGHEST winning score in the history of the Deutsche Bank: 270

LOWEST winning score in the history of The Masters: 270

Good comparison.
[/quote]

Obviously using hyperbole to make the comparison, but take 2011 for example, to par, -14 Augusta, -15 Deutsche Bank. The pros are on the record as enjoying the course, from what I have read and heard.

In case you haven't played the course in a bit, you should get back out there. This article by a reputable golf architecture critic talks about the changes. http://golfweek.com/news/2012/aug/28/deutsche-bank-hole-hole-tpc-boston/

[/quote]Apples to apples...

Lowest winning score at Deutche Bank: 262, 8 strokes lower than Augusta. Yep. Easier.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1359985183' post='6359757']

[/quote]Apples to apples...

Lowest winning score at Deutche Bank: 262, 8 strokes lower than Augusta. Yep. Easier.

--kC
[/quote]

I'm biased, as I live nearby and just joined TPC. In terms of a private club in this area, there is nothing better. By this area, I define as 15-20 minutes away. I've played many of the courses on the list and enjoyed them all. TPC is a good golf course, always in tip/top shape, with good length to challenge us as amateurs. I'm not sure how comparing the scores from Augusta and TPC is a good judgement on the quality/ranking of a golf course. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. IF, for example, TPC wanted to grow 4-5 inch rough, tighten the fairways, and have even faster greens, a-la a US Open setup, would that score comparison still matter? How many times have we seen courses host a tournament (regular schedule) then either same year or a different year under a different setup host an Open? Scores become very different.

All in all- the course is a great one and I'm happy to be a member. Should it be #11? Not sure. Should other courses be on this list? Likely...(Renaissance and Black Rock come to mind, certainly, in my mind beating out the International).

I would move Winchester higher on the list, haven't been impressed with Charles River, as others stated, its a bit dated. BGC lives up to all of the accolades.

[/quote]

TPC Boston is a thoroughly average golf course,[b] that the PGA Tour eats up[/b]. You don't have to agree, but it wouldn't make my Top 30 in Massachusetts.
[/quote]

It is being eaten up in part because the PGA Tour wants it to be. Now, it may not be the hardest course around, but the PGA Tour has asked them to trim the rough down for the tournament.

Mizuno MP-25 KBS x
T.P. Mills Anvil / Scotty
Titleist Vokey SM5 52/56 S400

I lived in Mass for 9 years and this thread typifies the warm-hearted sense of community that permeates the region! While I was there the Governor's office launched a new slogan: "Massachusetts, Make It Yours!" I always thought it should have been "Massachusetts, Get the F**k Out of My Lane!"

Still kind of miss it though. Happy Truck Day!