OK, persuade me! GPS vs. Rangefinder

I think a good GPS (not just Front/Middle/Back distances) is most helpful for playing new courses or courses you don't play often. You can view the layout of the hole and disances to all the hazards on the screen and not waste time shooting distances to bunkers, water, etc. with an RF. Also, a good GPS will allow you to view the course layout and plot distances before you get to the course. This is very helpful when preparing for a tournament or serious match.

I think the RF is a better tool for courses you play often. You already have a good feel for distances to hazards and where you want to go off the tee/layups. Having precise distances to pins is more important.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my regular foursome (single digit) we use both a Skycaddie and a RF that includes slope.
The GPS is very convenient and a quick way to get yardage mounted on the cart.
The courses we are playing and where the hazards are located are familiar.
The RF in my experience requires more effort to verify exact yardage, always shooting the yardage twice to verify.
One RF between cart partners and we are shooting multiple shots every hole.
Knowing the exact yardage and the benefit of the slope reading is more beneficial IMO.

Rangefinder is by far a better choice IMHO. I've used the Skycaddie SG3 for years, then switched to a Leupold GX-1 a couple years ago. WOW what a difference.

The SG3 burned through batteries (pretty much 1 round and needed to be replaced/recharged), I had to download/install the courses before leaving the house - it held 10 under the membership I had, but if I was going to a course on vacation or out of the area, I would have to remember to download/install before leaving (major PITA), the subscription every spring sucked (only $30 or whatever but still that's a round of golf!), downloading with the Skycaddie was a nightmare (but that was old technology and I'm sure it's different now) and after all that, the numbers could be off day to day by as much as 5 yards - that's 15 feet!

With the RF, I can point it at anything and get EXACT distance. For example, from the teebox, I can hit a sandtrap and get a distance to front and back of trap, on a dogleg I can hit the trees at the end of the fairway to get a distance not to hit passed, from the fairway I can hit the front edge of a green, the flag, and usually the back edge (sometimes if the green slopes away from you on an uphill shot you can't see the back of the green). Basically, if you can see your landing area or trouble you are trying to avoid, you can get exact numbers to front/back. Also, it takes a watch style battery that seems to last forever... no joke, it's like years, not rounds.

Plus I use my RF for archery deer hunting as well. Win/Win.

Also, I have an iPhone and always load up the course I'm on before I play... sometimes it is nice to bounce into it and get to the hole I'm on to check a blind shot. You have to remember to start the app before the round otherwise it takes too long to bring it up when you need to hit the shot because it can take like 5 minutes to start the app, load the course, navigate to the hole, etc.
I've used a bunch of the free GPS apps and I'm still searching for the perfect one. I paid for ViewTi Golf a couple years ago (I think they had it on sale for like $10) but I honestly use my RF so much I don't spend enough time on my iPhone to figure out which one is best.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1361457094' post='6471309']
Having owned both, I believe that the RF is absolutely the way to go. There is never any question about distance when using a RF because you have the exact distance to whatever you aim at.

Lets say you're around the 150 marker looking at a red flag (front). If the green is 25-30 yards deep, that flag could be 10 yards on the green and still be red. It could also be 2 yards on and be red as well. That's 8 yards difference, which is almost an entire club for most folks. With most GPS devices you'll have the distance to each part of the green (Front, Middle, Back) but your exact distance to the flag could still be off by as much as 8-10 yards. That's why I prefer the RF. There is never any question how far from the flag you are.

The times when I do prefer the GPS are times when there is severe elevation change. I don't use a RF with slope so those times can be somewhat difficult if it's a significant change in elevation.

If you shop around, I bet you can find a GX-1 or Bushnell Tour V2 in your price range. The V2 is the way to go IMO.
[/quote]

8-10 yards PLUS the +- 3-4 for GPS accuaracy so as much as 14 yards :)

I have an old Skycaddie that I loved until last year. I went with the rangefinder and it is much better. No subscription fees and I can still get front back middle yardages for the most part, or at least enough to know what I need. If I can't shoot the back of the green or the middle, I just get the # to the flag and then the # to the front. Add on the that the ability to get to bunkers and such (which with my older GPS was a little cumbersome), I will never look back.

Laser v GPS is sort of like asking is a tape measure or yard stick better for measuring? They are different tools and each has pro/cons.

As for laser v GPS, if you play the same course and are abundantly familiar with it's hazards and layup points, and you're really pin shooting, then of course a laser is the better way to go.

If you play different courses, and like the kind of information that a yardage book provides, with distances to various hazards etc, then a GPS is the way to go.

With GPS, you easily get front, center, back yardage because it's there presented in plain site every time you look at it. Laser can often give you FCB, but it takes longer and sometimes is tough or impossible to get depending on topography. As for estimating pin distance with a GPS, so long as the course provides markers on the flag stick, like colored flags or small flags/whiffle balls on the stick for front, center, back pin location, I can always estimate better than 2 yards to the pin using my GPS vs my partners laser. But again, if pin distance is your primary interest then go with the laser.

GPS is also better for blind shots over hilly terrain and dog legs. Laser is better for specific targets that might not be on yardage book or GPS--- that's when I may use my partners laser.

Some people will say laser is faster, but I frankly have no idea how that is possible unless the person using the GPS has analysis paralysis. My GPS, usually hanging from my bag or mounted to my push cart is in plain site as I grab my club. I glance at the yardage, decide on the club and go. Nothing extra to pick up, put down or buttons to push.

If you don't like having to remember to charge a GPS every couple of rounds or plug it into your computer quarterly to get periodic updates, then the laser is the way to go. GPS subscription fees should not be an issue because the vast majority don't have annual fees.

As far as accuracy goes, laser has a better accuracy and usually 1 yard or less. GPS is typically 3 yards or better. I have seen both devices wrong, so if possible I'll always cross check to a course marker if it's close by. Learn to recognize when an error may be greater than normal so you can cross-check.

I have both. I use the GPS all the time and the rangefinder very rarely. Why? Speed of play. My GPS gives distance (to green F/M/B, hazards, and full hole details) in real time so I can just glance at it, pick a club and hit. Rangefinders just take more time to get the same info. It might be 1-2 yards more accurage, but hardly worth the time or effort since I can't say that I can hit shots exactly within 1-2 yards of where I'm aiming. If I could, I'd be getting paid to play rather than paying. Then, I'd have my caddie go out and laser the course before the practice and play rounds.

Lasers are also a pain to lug. My GPS stays on my cart or bag right next to my clubs so I can just hit and go.

[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1363117481' post='6598743']
I have both. I use the GPS all the time and the rangefinder very rarely. Why? Speed of play. My GPS gives distance (to green F/M/B, hazards, and full hole details) in real time so I can just glance at it, pick a club and hit. Rangefinders just take more time to get the same info. It might be 1-2 yards more accurage, but hardly worth the time or effort since I can't say that I can hit shots exactly within 1-2 yards of where I'm aiming. If I could, I'd be getting paid to play rather than paying. Then, I'd have my caddie go out and laser the course before the practice and play rounds.

[b]Lasers are also a pain to lug[/b]. My GPS stays on my cart or bag right next to my clubs so I can just hit and go.
[/quote]

What kind of RF are you using? My GX-3 fits in my pocket perfectly if need be.

I can grab the RF from the cup holder, get out of the cart, laser the flag and choose a club in less than 7-8 seconds. I'm not sure why you'd need to go any faster? Are you sprinting to your ball after each shot? Or are all of your shots from 225+ out where it might take 3-4 seconds longer to hit the flag?

And more often than not, the GPS is going to be off by more than 1-2 yards. Once you determine where the pin in located, the exact yardage then becomes a guessing game.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Ultimately, I guess that it boils down to your playing skill as to whether you use a RF or a GPS. I play golf for fun and exercise so I find that the GPS F/M/B is fine for me. I don't play it for a living and I'll never be good enough to even consider it. However, each does have its benefits.

Best compromise, if you're budget concious and love to play & have a desire to do your best would be to get a middle of the pack laser (around $150) and use your smart phone and download a free golf gps. This should suffice most playing situation one migrht encounter (whether the gps course has not been mapped, or gps not accurate or don't want to drain the phone's battery by constant use, etc., etc., etc.)

P.S. - Of course, being a psycho myself, I did not follow thru with this logic, as I use 1st ver. of uPro when it 1st came out (too bad it's a nightmare to synch up to my pc) and I bought last summer a bushnell v2 patriot pack on sale).
Right now I have a Samsung S3 smart phone and have downloaded 2 free golf gps aps that are pretty good! So you can say I'm pretty well covered for measurents 150 yds which is what I want...

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1363118786' post='6598895']

SNIP

And more often than not, the GPS is going to be off by more than 1-2 yards. Once you determine where the pin in located, the exact yardage then becomes a guessing game.
[/quote]

I really don't know how you conclude that GPS is more often going to be off by more than 2 yards. It really depends on what your measuring. Flagstick ok I might agree, even though my experience is generally better than that. However front, center, back, GPS is going to be the winner since you don't have a hard target and the FCB features aren't the easiest with a laser to hit with repeatability. Heck, how do you know you've found the center of the green with a laser?

Finally, 3 yards of accuracy is going to be plenty for 99.999999% of the golfing public, unless of course you're a typical GolfWRXer whom can place approach shots from 100 yards to within a yard or two of the flag stick. Never mind the fact that the approach accuracy for the PGA Tour averages 6 yards from the flag for shots made in the fairway from 100-125 yards.

Like I've said before, both laser and GPS have pro's/con's and it really depends on what you want.

The comments so far have covered most of what I've observed, having used both GPS and range finder devices for a number of years.

In broad terms, I'd say that GPS devices are the most practical from afar - say beyond 180yds, and laser devices are more useful as you get closer and accuracy is at a premium.

From a distance, lasers are prone to error from accidentally giving you a reading off a mound or branch.

From within 150yds, GPS devices are too rough a tool. The mapping is done using google-earth style imaging and distances are highly dependent on where the technician chooses for f-m-b.

If you have to choose just one, I'd go with the laser. Most courses have perfectly usable 'gross distance' aides: scorecard pictures, sprinkler head and fairway markers, etc. close enough from far away.

iVE USED THE Skycaddie sg2 and then sg5 and they were awesome....... then i finally got a leopold gx3i....... have played 4-5 rounds in the last month and havent turned on the GPS. The confidence level has went up with the rangefinder and more of my shots are ending up pin high or close. i think both serve a great purpose but i have found with the rangefinder i can shoot just about anyhting i need to get yardages to or away from. Im still in the honeymoon stages but i like what I see so far. GPS may be up for sale at some point. So, that being said... for 150.00 i would probably go on cracks list and look for a good used GPS or name brand laser...... both will work well for what they are intended.

• 3 weeks later...

I am just in the early days of using a rangefinder for the first time, having been a GPS user for a coupld of seasons previous. Before that (in the dark ages) we used things called "yardage books" and 150 yard plates and just paced it off!! :)

My early impressions of the rangefinder are both positive and negative.

On the positive front I find myself playing quicker than before. No more estimating where the flag is and then moving it on the GPS to get the yardage, just laser it and pull the right club. I also love the fact that there are no fee's, subscriptions, downloads etc. as that was just an added pain before playing to make sure the course was on my GPS first (Skycaddie btw, I know some GPS units dont have this problem). I also like that I can laser anything I can see and get a yardage. I was skeptical about this last one before using the rangefinder, but it really does work.

On the negative side, obviously blind shots are just that, still blind!! If you cant see it, you cant get a distance. Also it's sometimes awkward to get a point to laser from the tee to know how far to run into hazards (example is a lake if there are no trees nearby). The main difficulty I am having though is keeping the damn rangefinder steady enough from further away (170 yards +) although I am getting better every round. I gave it to my Dad to try on a shot over the weekend and he really struggled, so that is something to consider if you are a bit shaky.

Overall though I am impressed, it is quick, easy and gives me (almost) all the information I need.

Hope that helps...

I have a Leupold GX-3i and it is the best money I have spent on golf equipment. I regularly play with a gentleman that has a GPS (don't know the brand) and it is common for his pin estimate using the F/M/B and flag color method to be off by 10 yds - an entire club for most folks. I think there are only two advantages to a GPS system: unfamiliar courses with lots of undulation (ie, stuff out of sight you can't laser) and being able to very accurately track your "average" shot distances.

WITB Link

I play pretty conservative and typically lay-up when over 190 to the pin since my short game is solid, so I don't really need the precision of a RF. For me, knowing F/M/B is good enough to get withing striking distance for a pitch or flop.

What about experiences with GPS watches or smaller devices like Golf Buddy? I think one of these would fit my game best and am interested in some recommendations.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1364906361' post='6742955']
I use the Bushnell Medalist. 4X magnification, vs 6-10X Less magnification is easier to keep steady.

No complaints at all.
[/quote]My experience is the same. The slightly bulky Medalist seems easiest of any laser I've seen to point and hold steady on the flag.

[quote name='inthefairway' timestamp='1365027410' post='6754551']
It's a pain waiting for someone looking through their range finder to get the distance to the pin while I just have to take a glance at my GPS hooked on my bag!!!
[/quote]

Kidding, right? It takes me 30 seconds to grab my RF (attached to my bag the same way yours is) and bring it to my face, hit my target(s), and slide it back into its case.

I had a uPro for a couple seasons, and liked it (as opposed to stepping off yardages, which REALLY takes up time...), then got tired of the prep work for adding new courses, subscription fees, etc and got a Bushnell v2. Best golf money I've ever spent. It took a few rounds to get the hang of sighting it in, but using two hands helps tremendously. I love that I can shoot a tree, rock, bunker edge, false front, even 150yd poles from the tee box if I am careful. The uPro went on eBay and I've never looked back. Only time I slightly miss it is when I crank a drive off behind a mound and can't see the flag. When that happens, I climb the mound (which I would do anyway, to get a target line), shoot the pin and step off the yardage back to my ball.

A buddy used SkyCaddie for years and finally got a RF (Leupold). I don't think he's used his GPS in over a year.

One suggestion if you go for an RF: Go to Golfsmith or a pro shop that has lots of different brands and look through lots of them. One will fit your eye better than the others. My Bushnell works grest for me, but I can't find a thing through my buddy's Leupold.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"