Pure745's 2013 Shootout - THE OVEN setup added 6/13

Pure745

[quote name='jjc' timestamp='1371226942' post='7241208']
On the Nike setup when you were hitting at The Oven what was your take on the feel. The only time I've tried them was the demo at RD but at the time the weight had broken loose. Gave it a very hollow feel but I'm thinking that was due to the weight being gone.

For me there seems to be 3 different types of feel drivers fall into

Solid feel - most of the titleist (905 s, 913 d3) and Bstone J33r fit into this type

Explosive feel - most of the time it's the TM models here but have had one or two Ping and the old Nike in here also. Not saying they are going further, but it does feel that way

Hollow feel - a lot of Callaway. Nike shoe box - L4V (not saying it was a bad head- pre cotton ball feel)
[/quote]

I would say it was on the explosive/solid side. Felt really good and the ball definitely seemed to come off the face pretty hot. It could also have something to do with the 20Xi-X balls I was hitting which also make the drivers sound louder. Will give you a better gauge after I hit it with the ball I typically play.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jjc' timestamp='1371183126' post='7237652']
I think they are restricted. That's the crazy thing

They are going to have to change the stop sign to a stop light keeping it on red while tai hits driver
[/quote]

A Tai Crossing sign?

Hmmm.. Tiffany blue?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1371227503' post='7241294']

They are going to have to change the stop sign to a stop light keeping it on red while tai hits driver
[/quote]

A Tai Crossing sign?

Hmmm.. Tiffany blue?
[/quote]

I'm lucky to break 80 right now.. wrist/foot both hurt.. I'm getting old :(

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1371228057' post='7241366']
[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1371227503' post='7241294']

[/quote]

A Tai Crossing sign?

Hmmm.. Tiffany blue?
[/quote]

I'm lucky to break 80 right now.. wrist/foot both hurt.. I'm getting old :(
[/quote]

lucky to break 80....not buying :stop:

stop talking about getting old with the wrist/foot - cowboy up big guy :bb: We want/need answers here- ring the bell for round 12 of the 2013 driver shootout!!!

hopefully we can find some time coming up to get out to the course for 18 - would like to see your new Nike cherry bombs in action :smilie_nike:

Loved reading your writeup, I've gone similarly full circle in the past 6 months. 913d2->covert tour->uDesign RFE->covert tour-> and back to 913d3.

The Covert is without a doubt longer, but the d3 is oddly more forgiving, and just that tear drop shape that I want to dislike looks so good at address.

The covert will be deep for you no doubt!

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

Just posted this in the Oven thread:

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1371300489' post='7247810']
Pure lets hear some feedback it's been hours already lol
[/quote]

Maiden voyage was really solid, outside of one bad swing that had nothing to do with the driver. Initial impressions were how good it sounds and feels, much more muted that I thought. I remember one head being much louder than another which was very muted at the Oven, this one is very muted and sounds great. Almost sounds like a cross between an RFE and 913. The ball flight is higher than the 913, first ball hit carried 295 (verified by laser) but had almost no roll out due to fairways being very soft and overly watered. If this driver gets roll out based on the carry distances I saw today, it could get interesting. I did hit one that was a low piercing draw that did get roll out and it was definite out there and I had one of the shortest approaches in on a hole ever, 68 yards in on a 394 yard hole that is slightly uphill with a tight landing area.

Interesting thing with this Covert, that still needs more rounds in to be determined, is that the ball seems to find a line and track on it and seems to be much more accurate than I was anticipating and much longer on mishits than the 913. I'm not saying it's more forgiving than the 913, but I was surprised to say the least. The 3 wood was also very good the sound is more metallic than the driver but also has a nice flight and is going to have it's work cut out to beat the 913FD.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

First time caller long time listener

I remember somewhere back in this thread you mentioned that your driver and fairway woods had to be from the same company. While there are a lot of great offerings in todays market do you think you might be leaving something on the table by doing this? Think this approach will ever change?

Pure, I can't help but to see your posts and think about the similarities between it and my driver search. I've been a long time 910D2 and now 913D2 supporter. It may not be the longest, but it just works for my swing. Over the years I have put together quite a few shafts for the 910/913 so I have a lot invested, both financially and emotionally. I bought the Covert Tour on a whim and gave it little chance that it would work. First, I'm a double digit hc so a 430cc should never work. Anyway, I put a couple of shafts together for it and gave it a whirl. One of the shafts was a Fubuki alpha 70x. I had never played a 70x driver shaft until I built this shaft. First round out I had my best driving day ever - saw 9 of 13 fairways and was places on the course I hadn't seen before. Subsequent rounds have been very similar, although I have settled into a Speeder 6.0x shaft (I prefer the lighter weight). The Covert Tour has firmly unseated my 913. And yes, that was a hard, bitter pill to swallow. Good luck with your shootout!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='2zlinks' timestamp='1371380720' post='7253598']
First time caller long time listener

I remember somewhere back in this thread you mentioned that your driver and fairway woods had to be from the same company. While there are a lot of great offerings in todays market do you think you might be leaving something on the table by doing this? Think this approach will ever change?
[/quote]

Haha! I am pretty OCD about the driver and 3 wood matching. If I ever feel that I was really leaving something on the table, or there was something that was a lot better than the rest, I would definitely make an exception.

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1371386142' post='7253836']
Pure, I can't help but to see your posts and think about the similarities between it and my driver search. I've been a long time 910D2 and now 913D2 supporter. It may not be the longest, but it just works for my swing. Over the years I have put together quite a few shafts for the 910/913 so I have a lot invested, both financially and emotionally. I bought the Covert Tour on a whim and gave it little chance that it would work. First, I'm a double digit hc so a 430cc should never work. Anyway, I put a couple of shafts together for it and gave it a whirl. One of the shafts was a Fubuki alpha 70x. I had never played a 70x driver shaft until I built this shaft. First round out I had my best driving day ever - saw 9 of 13 fairways and was places on the course I hadn't seen before. Subsequent rounds have been very similar, although I have settled into a Speeder 6.0x shaft (I prefer the lighter weight). The Covert Tour has firmly unseated my 913. And yes, that was a hard, bitter pill to swallow. Good luck with your shootout!
[/quote]

Thanks for the post! After my first round with the Covert Tour, I am very impressed with what Nike has done. I used the VR LTD's all last year and now on to the 913's as I feel they are a lot better and more forgiving. The Covert is no slouch and the head shapes look much better than the 913's, they're just [color=#ff0000][i][b]red[/b][/i][/color] :mellow: This is one case where if Nike followed TM's lead by offering this driver in a Limited Edition black head, I would make the switch no questions asked and it would appeal even more to me. Looks at address are definitely a major influence on my decision with all of my clubs and performance has to back it up. After I get a few more weeks in with the Covert, I will let you know if it unseats the 913's as well :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

why not just send it off to get resprayed - matt black with a white swoosh...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15*Β Tensei WhiteΒ 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 ironΒ Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • ArtisanΒ  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1371398815' post='7254734']

Thanks for the post! After my first round with the Covert Tour, I am very impressed with what Nike has done. I used the VR LTD's all last year and now on to the 913's as I feel they are a lot better and more forgiving. The Covert is no slouch and the head shapes look much better than the 913's, they're just [color=#FF0000][i][b]red[/b][/i][/color] :mellow: This is one case where if Nike followed TM's lead by offering this driver in a Limited Edition black head, I would make the switch no questions asked and it would appeal even more to me. Looks at address are definitely a major influence on my decision with all of my clubs and performance has to back it up. After I get a few more weeks in with the Covert, I will let you know if it unseats the 913's as well :drinks:
[/quote]

So Tai, what you are saying is that you prefer the dark green color of the deep rough to the deep red of the covert?

HAHA.

I have about 10 different clubhead colors in my bag. All I see at address is a white ball.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1371427821' post='7258756']
Thanks for the post! After my first round with the Covert Tour, I am very impressed with what Nike has done. I used the VR LTD's all last year and now on to the 913's as I feel they are a lot better and more forgiving. The Covert is no slouch and the head shapes look much better than the 913's, they're just [color=#FF0000][i][b]red[/b][/i][/color] :mellow: This is one case where if Nike followed TM's lead by offering this driver in a Limited Edition black head, I would make the switch no questions asked and it would appeal even more to me. Looks at address are definitely a major influence on my decision with all of my clubs and performance has to back it up. After I get a few more weeks in with the Covert, I will let you know if it unseats the 913's as well :drinks:
[/quote]

So Tai, what you are saying is that you prefer the dark green color of the deep rough to the deep red of the covert?

HAHA.

I have about 10 different clubhead colors in my bag. All I see at address is a white ball.
[/quote]

C'mon bro.. the 913's are the most consistant driver I have hit this year! I don't care what color the green is as long as it's in the fairway or my misses are still in play :) My view of Nike has definitely been changed in a positive way, but the only way it's going in the bag is if it legitimately beats out my 913's.. the Kool Aide isn't [i]that [/i] strong! :tongue:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1371435419' post='7259988']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1371427821' post='7258756']
[/quote]

HAHA.

[/quote]

C'mon bro.. the 913's are the most consistant driver I have hit this year! I don't care what color the green is as long as it's in the fairway or my misses are still in play :) My view of Nike has definitely been changed in a positive way, but the only way it's going in the bag is if it legitimately beats out my 913's.. the Kool Aide isn't [i]that [/i] strong! :tongue:
[/quote]

I'm sorry. No way red clubs get into my bag. I understand putting the best in play, but, red? Would really have to knock my socks off and crush the competition.

Great thread, great gear and great write ups. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Β 

[size=5][b]UPDATED 6/18 - BOTTOM OF POST [/b][/size]: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/847376-nike-oven-cooks-some-wrxers-we-visit-nike-for-a-tour-and-fitting/#entry7096028

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1371614195' post='7278928']
[size=5][b]UPDATED 6/18 - BOTTOM OF POST [/b][/size]: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/847376-nike-oven-cooks-some-wrxers-we-visit-nike-for-a-tour-and-fitting/#entry7096028"]http://www.golfwrx.c...g/#entry7096028[/url]
[/quote]

hey Tai

Those nikes look pretty sick!...

At this point it seems you may never hear the end of this thread. 2014 clubs will be out before you know it!

I was wondering since the nikes were not on your initial radar for testing what other clubs you may have left out that could have done the the same thing. Specifically ...I had a cobra amp cell pro, the first cobra club i've ever put a swing on, handed to me to try at the range this week. I was extremely impressed with the feel and forgiveness. Thought i'd ask if you had any experience with it and if so what your thoughts were.

best

Adam

@Adam - The Nike's were always on my radar ever since they came out. I always loved the shape but just couldn't get past the red when push came to shove and since I was spending my own $$ on the clubs I tested, I wanted to make sure I was actually buying something that wasn't such a gamble. I think the Coverts were the only clubs left out of this shootout that I would have added if I had the extra funds to do so.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1372103099' post='7315006']
Pure never has any love for clevelands...
Ha ha..
I have to respect your choice of wood shafts.
I would have missed on speeder VC's if I didnt read this thread.
Sticking with 910 d3 as I am getting more familiar with the driver.
No nike love here...
[/quote]

Clevelands?!!?!? C'mon EZ!!!

[color=#000000][size=4]Out of 3 rounds in with my Coverts, my last 2 rounds have been 67 (73.7/138) and[/size] 68 (73.9/137). It has been a while since I have had two back to back rounds in the 60's. The 67 was at a track I have never played before, and the Coverts were definitely part of the reason for the good round. My ball striking and putting were definitely solid on both days, but being in the fairway off the tee and long at that same time definitely took the pressure off the rest of my game. As of now, I don't see the Nikes coming out of the bag any time soon. [/color]

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Pure,

Hearing your success with them have me anxious to get mine in the bag. I've been swinging the 913s really well but I want to see if the feel and numbers from my fitting can translate to success on the course too.

Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

[size=3]This is probably one of the MOST informative posts ever on the board; unbiased and detailed take on the drivers tested.[/size]

[size=3]What's more impressive is the time dedicated by PURE in responding to all the commenters, and constantly updating the post. I've heard good things about this guy's game, and hope to see him in play one of these days.[/size]

[size=3]Back on topic, despite good results with the Nike, I don't see you benching the Titleist.[/size]

[size=3]Keep on playing and posting![/size]

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

• 3 months later...

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1382581101' post='8049255']
Pure how did this end up turning out for you?
[/quote]

In a nutshell, the 913 setup won the shootout. I got my Oven Covert Tour setup used them for about a month and half, they were really good, but the 913's are a little better. Close to a toss up between the two with the edge going to the 913.

Since then I got a Fourteen Gelong CT214 and Fourteen's component 3 wood that have been much longer and better looking than both. The 913 has the edge in accuracy, but the Fourteen pretty long, enough to sacrifice a little accuracy for the good for good length.

Thread is here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902845-pure745s-fourteen-experiment-fh1000s-ct214-driver-final-review-925/

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ