G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='chrisf60526' timestamp='1385851097' post='8229806']
High Handicapper here just fitted this week. During the fitting I hit the G25's, X-hots, and new Titleist 714's. I have no allegiance to any brand but ended up going with the G25's based on data and feel. My fitter thinks Ping hit a home run with this club and they felt great to me as well. Looking forward to spring and taking them out.
[/quote]

Nicely done. My buddy that runs a golf shop sells G25's over everything else. Even if someone comes in asking for Titleist etc he has them hit the G25s and they almost always win out.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Well, I shipped 10 irons to Ping 2 weeks ago (Monday) to re-shaft with CFS S and got them back like-new 5 days later (Saturday AM). Played that afternoon and hit way more greens, EXCITED!! Felt great!!
Loving the stiff CFS shaft in these irons which are now D2 with the heaver shafts. Should be out there today but doing some homework : - (

Ping G400 Max w/MC AV Orange Raw S
Ping G425 5W w/Ping Tour 75R

Ping 425 4H w/Ping Tour 85R

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber FC90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/10 TT Mid 100

Evenroll ER5

Guys, I finally tried the G25s along with a few other irons yesterday on a Foresight monitor with some nice new Bridgestone balls.

I hit G25, i20, s55, XHot Pro (2013), Apex with Recoils. They were 7 irons in the Pings and 6 irons in the Callys. Most irons were not to my spec in terms of lie and shaft flex, but whatever. I didn't want to bug the staff.

I could not freaking believe the feel off the G25s, s55s, and not to mention the XHot Pros (comments on the Apex in a sec). I have some G20 long irons and I've hit the s56s many times. There is just no comparison in feel. When you middle it with the G25s and s55s, they feel like forged...that mushy, dense, soft sound. Same goes with the Xhot Pros from 2013, with maybe just a *touch* firmer feel....just barely a bit firmer, but that could have easily been my strikes (trust me, it probably was and by that point I was getting super tired..sweating my a** off actually LOL). The G25s are a massive step forward in feel compared to the clicky G20s.

The s55s were beautiful and felt the same as the G25s when middled. The difference to me is that you know more easily when you're off center with the s55s and obviously they are more intimidating to look down on. The G25s just feel soft all over the face, but I could definitely tell when I hit it dead center.

I would need these in KBS S+ or X though just to keep the flight down a bit. I think the ones I was hitting were CFS R so I was losing a lot of distance because they were just going straight up instead of forward.

The look of the XHot Pros was so nice though. Nowhere near as small and intimidating as the s55s but not as bulky as the Gs...just perfect. No wonder Cally had such a hit on their hands with this iron last year. Really a great great iron. I'm super curious about the X2 pros now.

Now, the Apex with Recoils. Beautiful looking satin clubs, very little offset, simple look in the cavity, and cool elastomer sections. Now right away, I did not like the recoils. Just too light for my tastes and I'm just not used to graphite in irons - I've never been! The Apexes were incredibly explosive and looooooooooong! I could not believe how far they were going. Now I know the loft of the 6 iron is more like a 5 (27/30.5 for 5/6 irons respectively in my i5s whereas they Apexes are 24, 27 respectively). But still, I was nuking this thing. I had some well over 205 (at least that's what the Foresight monitor was saying!). The feel off the face is a bit more firm sounding, more explosive, more powerful. A bit louder, but nowhere near the absolutely harsh annoying sound of the Rocketbladez irons. Some may like the sound of the Apex and personally I didn't mind it at all, but I'm looking forward to hitting all the other irons to see how they sound and perform. Cant wait for the Apex Pros (I hope I can hit them) and the X2Hot Pros.

Now, the i20s. I used to own these and I STILL HATE THEM! I know I'm usually a PING dude, but I just can't stand them! Hope the i25s are better! How's that for honest & unbiased?!?! It would be nice if PING gave the same type of feel to the i25s that the G25s and s55s have.

Anyway, next year I'm looking to sell a backup set of my i5s as I have 2 sets and go for one of the irons I've mentioned here.

It's going to be an interesting 2014!!!

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1385385423' post='8203460']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1385347942' post='8202258']
Well eBay offered up the specs (+.5in, cushin, stiff, 4-UW) I like and low and behold I fell into a set of G25s :blush:
They are getting regripped tomorrow and I will have them set to black dot from their current red dot, but after playing two rounds with them this weekend I'm very happy with them.

With Cally XHPs, X-Forged, and i20s, these are certainly the improviest irons I've have, but with only 25ish range balls for a warmup, they've been well easy to get on with. Setting up to the ball will require some trial and error, as there certainly is a lot more space heel to toe to deal with. I'm going to play them during the winter and see how it goes :)
[/quote]

Nice to hear you hit them well. I almost bought the XHP this spring, hitting them side by side to the G25 at a demo day I liked both. I got the G25 in May and they have not left the bag. I came from MP32 and figured it would take me a while to get accustomed to the different look, zero, zilch, nada. One range session and it was pretty much auto pilot, that is the way they play as well.

Enjoy them and keep us posted on how you are making out with them. I would be very interested in hearing if you noticed much difference when you have the lie angles bent.
[/quote]

Funnily enough, with the G25s down in Arizona being bent, I've played the XHPs for 4 rounds over Thanksgiving and the cliche of the soon to be displaced clubs playing for their place in the bag rang true :rolleyes:
Just a bunch of really solid iron shots over the extended weekend, culminating today by tying my all-time low round on a 73/133 track.
Still going to put the G25s in play when they get back though :)

BTW, not to rub it in, but four days of temps between 15*C and 22*C at the end of Nov/start of Dec is still not something I am used to!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Well I am a high handicapper and they really helped me out.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='9ironiscash' timestamp='1386031045' post='8239374']
Has anyone by chance compared these to the TM TP CBs? Are the g25 significantly better?
[/quote]

I would never make a blanket statement like they are significantly better.

But if you read through all 30 pages you will see a lot of very happy users. They are about as forgiving as they get, good length very accurate and consistent.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I purchased these and have played 4 round with them. I am really struggling to adapt. I'm not sure whether it's the poor custom fitting experience I had that saw me with a black dot + CFS stiff flex shafts, but i certainly hit my old irons a lot further which were callaway with graphite shafts.
I am struggling to really hit a flush shot with these. Perhaps I should look at my shafts?

I love the review but struggle to believe the offset doesn't make it go left. I literally have all misses go left and any offset makes it way worse. I'm about a 12 cap and play the ansers for this reason. I haven't hit them but I hit the g20s and tended to go left. I'm a very strong long iron player and the progressive offset often hurts my game.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I have a question, actually two lol.

1) I play in windy conditions, I have heard that one drawback to playing GI irons is that it is difficult to control trajectory (knock down shots, I use them frequently). Does anyone have any opinions on the g25's ability in this regard?

2) due to me playing in windy conditions, I prefer to hit long iron off of the tee (as opposed to fairway metal). Any opinions on the 3/4 irons from the g25 (trajectory primarily)?

Thank you in advance.

[quote name='Ivyguy' timestamp='1386095310' post='8242762']

1) I play in windy conditions, I have heard that one drawback to playing GI irons is that it is difficult to control trajectory (knock down shots, I use them frequently). Does anyone have any opinions on the g25's ability in this regard?

2) due to me playing in windy conditions, I prefer to hit long iron off of the tee (as opposed to fairway metal). Any opinions on the 3/4 irons from the g25 (trajectory primarily)?

Thank you in advance.
[/quote]

I've no issue hitting a knock down with any club. 4 iron included. I will echo a few saying they lost distance, but I'm sure that's due to not getting fit (yet). I got these black dots for a song and I'm playing extremely well with them, but I'm hitting a lot of balls on the toe and my divots are deeper by the heel. I spec out to a purple dot. I'm interested to see if my iron distances come back after the fitting. If not....I'm still VERY happy with the consistency and control I've had since bagging them.

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1385929375' post='8233442']
High Handicapper here just fitted this week. During the fitting I hit the G25's, X-hots, and new Titleist 714's. I have no allegiance to any brand but ended up going with the G25's based on data and feel. My fitter thinks Ping hit a home run with this club and they felt great to me as well. Looking forward to spring and taking them out.
[/quote]

Nicely done. My buddy that runs a golf shop sells G25's over everything else. Even if someone comes in asking for Titleist etc he has them hit the G25s and they almost always win out.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong the 714's were beautiful and the x-hots were nice was well. In fact the 714's had almost exact similar numbers as the G25's but at a much greater price point.

Question. Anyone have any opinions on the G25 stock shaft? During my fitting I didn't try the stock shaft and plan to try it this week. Wondering everyone's thoughts?

[quote name='Ivyguy' timestamp='1386095310' post='8242762']

Thank you in advance.
[/quote]

Don't like the G25s. I have the G20s. GI irons have a lot of weight in the sole and will hit it higher than blades or Player's CBs. After all that IS part of the point of GIs after all. I put DGS300's in my G20s and that helps a little but nothing's going to drastically lower the flight.

Blades and PCBs are (generally) for players who don't have trouble getting the ball airborne. Less weight in the sole = a more boring trajectory and typically less backspin. Hence a lower ball flight.

Not sure if it's true for all clubs (GI vs Player's or blades) but I hit the G25 (and my G20) 7 irons. During the same session I also hit the i20.

All 7 irons, all DG S300 shafts. Both G's (7 irons) launched LOWER than the "i" and spun way more.

G's launched around 19-20. The i launched around 23.

Both G's spun in the 6,000+ range. The i spun around high 3's.

Frankly I couldn't believe the difference. So I repeated the same test another day. Same results.

Just like in real(?) life ya can't have everything,,,,,,,,,, :([size=4] [/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='oakleys20' timestamp='1386056965' post='8241124']
I purchased these and have played 4 round with them. I am really struggling to adapt. I'm not sure whether it's the poor custom fitting experience I had that saw me with a black dot + CFS stiff flex shafts, but i certainly hit my old irons a lot further which were callaway with graphite shafts.
I am struggling to really hit a flush shot with these. Perhaps I should look at my shafts?
[/quote]

With all due respect, four rounds is nothing. I played three times a week for a month plus practiced on grass tees for about ten hours and finally got used to them. The advantage comes once you dial them in.

[quote name='chrisf60526' timestamp='1386122668' post='8244893']
[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1385929375' post='8233442']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't get me wrong the 714's were beautiful and the x-hots were nice was well. In fact the 714's had almost exact similar numbers as the G25's but at a much greater price point.

Question. Anyone have any opinions on the G25 stock shaft? During my fitting I didn't try the stock shaft and plan to try it this week. Wondering everyone's thoughts?
[/quote]

Stock CFS shaft is fine for most people. It's a lighter dg s300 like shaft. Dg is around 130g and CFS stiff around 109g. X around 120 I think.

Personal thing.....how you load the shaft, shot preference, conditions etc.

Picked up my set (5I-UW) green dot. Can't wait to finish work and head to the range (or course if the rain lets up). I also picked a 4 and 5 Hybrid, and a 4W. Will post thoughts after a hit.

Went in to the shop with my mind made up on either the JPX825 or Ez Forged, but the ping just felt better all around. Same distance but way better dispersion. Interestingly I could not get the G25 driver to work. It was long, short, left or right. The rest of the ping range worked a treat for me. Ended up with the X Hot. You could throw a blanket over the shots I hit with it. Came back to the range a few days later and got the same results.

^Welcome to the forum :)

New golf stuff is fun! Played my first round with my G25s on the proper lie today, but it was 5/6*c and windy, so was more to enjoy a walk in the park than a solid round of golf.
What irons are you coming from? With the Mizzy expectation, I'll guess some JPX800s or maybe some old MX200s?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Actually coming from some 10 year old PowerBlitz clubs i bought on a 5 minute fitting when was putting in 4 -5 rounds a year. Starting playing a lot more this year (2-3 rounds a week + range session) and have gone from shoot 120+ down low 90s. The Mizuno expectation was from a couple of family friends who playing in the single digits recommending them. Doing some research and they seemed like what I was after, but I guess reading online is no exchange for hitting the clubs.

I loose my shots between 80m and 200m so I am hoping so properly fitted GI irons will help me hit more GIR. Sitting on 71% fairways hit over the last 10 rounds and 8.9% GIR. Slightly embarrassing. Anything over 80m and I have no idea where they will end up.

I have been considering these irons along with some others and currently play Mizzy 800 Pros. One of my concerns with these types of irons is being able to also hit low 3/4 and punch type shots and keep them under overhanging trees and also hit the head high 25 to 175 yard trouble shots and not worry about the ball launching high like with a hybrid. Any thoughts how easy/hard it is to control the shot height?

^It's not hard. To go all Yoda...
Control the flight of the ball you do.

F.T.

[quote name='BigTexGolfer' timestamp='1386565891' post='8271245']
I have been considering these irons along with some others and currently play Mizzy 800 Pros. One of my concerns with these types of irons is being able to also hit low 3/4 and punch type shots and keep them under overhanging trees and also hit the head high 25 to 175 yard trouble shots and not worry about the ball launching high like with a hybrid. Any thoughts how easy/hard it is to control the shot height?
[/quote]

The G's are designed to hit the ball high, and that's what they do. You can flight it down, but it's not as easy as with irons with a higher CG that's closer to the face. The question becomes: what tradeoff is best for each player. In my opinion the G's help improve shot performance in most situations, but not all. If you play in windy conditions all the time for example, clubs that flight lower may be more useful. Hitting from under trees though shouldn't be something you contend with more than a couple times per round (hopefully) though, so I wouldn't make low trajectory a priority (just a suggestion).

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Mahamilto' timestamp='1386059294' post='8241160']
I love the review but struggle to believe the offset doesn't make it go left. I literally have all misses go left and any offset makes it way worse. I'm about a 12 cap and play the ansers for this reason. I haven't hit them but I hit the g20s and tended to go left. I'm a very strong long iron player and the progressive offset often hurts my game.
[/quote]

Offset can lead to a slight draw for some people, but hitting the ball left is a different thing entirely. Sounds like you're closing the face too soon and/or coming over the top. I know because this is my miss sometimes too.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Mahamilto' timestamp='1386059294' post='8241160']
[/quote]

While being a "strong long iron player" and a 12 handicap don't generally go together,,,,,,,,

I realize this answer is a bit simplistic but have you tried weakening your grip just a touch ?

Doesn't take much of a face angle change to have a ball go right, straight or left.

I always fought the "rights" (I'm a righty). Golf teacher got me to strengthen my grip and when I first tried it I told him "You've GOT to be kidding me - how can ANYONE hit the ball this way ?". Of course that was because something like a grip change, even a slight one (mine wasn't), can feel so "weird".

Anyway, it definitely resulted in fewer balls going right.

Now I'm in the beginning stages of a slight swing change (which also feels weird). I'm staying back a bit. My misses, as one might expect(?) are now going a bit left. So, I'm experimenting with weakening my grip, again, just a touch.

Oh, and FWIW, I play G20s.

Good luck.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I would like to answer the questions about ability to hit knockdown shots with the G25's. I haven't had a difficult time doing this. I just play the ball back a couple inches and use a shorter flatter swing with less wrist hinge. My club has a number of holes where it is easy to end up just within the tree line on some doglegs, so I face shots like this a couple of times per round. Prior to the G25's I had the G10's for 7 years and I can definitely say that the G25's are easier to flight lower when needed.

Well after 200 balls at the range I can see these are going to be a big help ...... once I get used to them.These things are crazy forgiving. I kept hitting shots on the toe which felt and sounded horrible only to see the shot going dead straight, high and about a 1/2 club short of a flushed shot.

I am not sure if it is because they are different but I was hitting a large percent right. I have a feeling I was hitting slightly before the ball and the change in loft is causing the toe to turn the club slightly. Both the lie and length are different from my previous set so I am sure it will take a week or two to get them dialed in.

The hybrids and 4W are an absolute joy. Compared to my previous clubs it is like cheating. Can't wait to get out on the course this arvo and see how they go on the turf.

Got the opportunity to trial these wonder heads, at the moment they have CFS reg's in them. Has anyone tried KBS Tour or C Taper's in these heads?
I'm thinking C tapers really as they launch lower and spin a little less so "in theory" these should be perfect.

Any experience with either of these shafts or any up grade shaft in these head's would be welcome. Have these shafts in my i20's like them both, edge to the tapers.

[quote name='Tommy56' timestamp='1386979870' post='8296951']
How does the G25 finish hold up over time? I've played Ping irons for years, but wondering how durable the G25 is in comparison.
[/quote]

I think it is just fine, and I'm notoriously picky. I have 35-40 rounds on mine and while they did wear it isn't terribly noticeable. If I hold my 8 iron (fav club) next to my 5 iron (rarely used) I can see the 8 has worn and is more like the finish on my G15's (as far as color and brush marks). The 5 iron still looks new. My brother has some Adams irons with a black finish and they really wear. His irons have less than 10 rounds on them and they look noticeably worse than mine, for sure.

Mine has gotten a bit brighter in the sole but in a very soft natural way, so no spots or anything like that, just a small fade in the color. Looks great imo.

Ping G25 12* Driver
Ping Rapture 17* and Ping K15 19* woods
Ping G20 23* hybrid
Ping G25 5-PW irons
Ping Tour Gorge wedges 50*SS/56*WS/60*SS
SeeMore FGP Original putter

[quote name='CHRIS509' timestamp='1386700128' post='8278827']
Got the opportunity to trial these wonder heads, at the moment they have CFS reg's in them. Has anyone tried KBS Tour or C Taper's in these heads?
I'm thinking C tapers really as they launch lower and spin a little less so "in theory" these should be perfect.

Any experience with either of these shafts or any up grade shaft in these head's would be welcome. Have these shafts in my i20's like them both, edge to the tapers.
[/quote]

Have g25 with ctaper stiff hard stepped once and love em. They don't bring the ball flight down a ton but I am a very high hitter anyways so ymmv. Notice the spin more so, get the ball to stop easily bc of height on the shot but forget about spinning it back. Had them for about 6 months so far and shot my first round under par and had my first hole in one with them so they won't be going anywhere for awhile. :)