2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1393038086' post='8719844']

Troll comment aside...I'm not disagreeing that G25's are [u]FOR YOU[/u], but I see a lot of used G25 sets for sale at the local Roger Dunn, and many other SGI sets. The evangelistic affirmations of "better golf" via the G25's is annoying.

[/quote]

Pretty simple really. Forum participation and thread participation is obviously self-selecting. So a higher proportion of people commenting in this thread have gone to G25 irons and really enjoyed them and are sharing their positive experiences with like-minded, similarly swinging golfers who have benefited from them.

If there was a thread titled 'Craptastic G25s ruined my game', well the initial bent and subsequent momentum of posts with similar sentiment could see a thread where loads slate the club.

For someone who does not actually play G25s and apparently won't, but continually posts 'challenge' after challenge, as to whether or not they are any good, it is going to be pretty hard to not eventually come off as if you are trolling.

If you have trouble with folks posting lots of positive comments about a club, then you really really need to stay out any Callaway thread with over 100 posts that's come out in the last 3 months ;)

Do carry on here, but it really has become tiresome so off to the ignore list.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1392983318' post='8714464']
Donno my friend you are becoming a bit of a troll in this thread. You have stated it is your opinion the forgivness of the G25 will not make that big a difference out on the course, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Please stop trolling this thread trying to covince all of us we are wrong about the playability of these clubs, no one is listening.

For the record I also own and play : Hogan Apex Plus, Hogan Apex Edge Pro, MP53, MP63, MP32 so I have a very broad range of playing experience. My home course is a tough second shot course and I hover around a 8-10 hcp, not great but not a total hack either. The G25 made enough of a difference that I will play them again this season.

With all this snow I would be happy hitting a rock with a stick in the middle of a cow pasture right now. I envy you living in CA with nice warm weather , what does green grass look like again, I have forgotten.
[/quote]

[i]Donno my friend you are becoming a bit of a troll in this thread. You have stated it is your opinion the forgivness of the G25 will not make that big a difference out on the course, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Please stop trolling this thread trying to covince all of us we are wrong about the playability of these clubs, no one is listening.[/i]

Troll comment aside...I'm not disagreeing that G25's are [u]FOR YOU[/u], but I see a lot of used G25 sets for sale at the local Roger Dunn, and many other SGI sets.[/quote]

So ? Did you see any used blades for sale ? No ?

Just for craps and giggles, a while back I was at a Golfsmith and actually counted all the used sets for sale, blades and cavity backs.

55 sets of CBs. 31 sets of blades (I wrote down the numbers).

Now, do YOU think CBs outsell blades only about a 2-1 ratio (the ratio of blades to CBs on the used rack) ???

[quote] The evangelistic affirmations of "better golf" via the G25's is annoying. Everyone has a tendency to switch out clubs for "seasons" for thousands of reasons. And...I agree, if your drive leaves you with 180+ approach shots, the G25's, as well as [u][i]many other SGI irons[/i][/u], are better, probably with a smattering of hybrids. If that results in lower scores...perfect...I would do the same thing.

However, I'm still waiting to see the empirical evidence that G25's are more "[i]playable[/i]". In all my years of playing golf, I never really found the ultimate "[i]playable[/i]" clubs...I found clubs that fit my swing at that "[i]particular time[/i]"...but I'm open to suggestions. And I'm pretty sure I could pair a G25 with a different shaft which would make it not so "playable". My point is the shaft is amply more important than the club head. Call me a troll, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this way.
[/quote]

Nobody CARES about the shaft. The isn't (and wasn't) the point.

I'll GIVE you the empirical evidence. I have hit BOTH. There is NO QUESTION the cavity backs are more forgiving, both directionally and distance-wise.

Try it yourself. Pick whatever mid and whatever short iron you hit best. Take a blade and a cavity back of each and after you've warmed up for a bit hit them one after another, side by side.

And THEN come back and tell us there's no discernible difference in distance and/or direction.

No, on second thought, don't.

Go to one of the "blade vs. CB" threads and argue (or not) your point, if you have one, there. If you can't find one I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Now kindly leave this thread to the "G25-ers". If you can't, maybe you can exert some self-control and not click on it ?

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

G25s are more playable for me simply because my stats prove it. With them my GIR went up (as did my avg number of putts). My penalty shots went down and my chipping and sand play suffered a bit because I was hitting more greens. Only driver swing issues in July kept my handicap relatively unchanged. My misses are simply not as bad with the G25s. Came from Mizuno MX-200.

I feel compelled to summarize my feelings about the last several posts.

Yes, sure, everyone would benefit from lessons, they are apt to be the best help for your game. But everyone needs clubs too so . . .

Unless you believe all clubs are the same (forging some yourself in your basement is as good as buying some) then you tacitly agree that clubs are going to make a difference too. Some will be better for you, some worse. You probably can never scientifically prove which club would have been better after the fact, because things are always changing - but you can hope to find a club that's better for you in general than another and one good way to do that is to listen to the experiences of other people who are out there trying to do the same thing. I can't help but be influenced by this thread when I learn that a player much better than I am has a great experience with a club that's designed for lesser players. This provides an extra slice of confidence that one's club selection isn't going to sell them short or be awkward later if they get better. And these roughly 1200 posts suggest that the G25s are easily worth some serious consideration.

[quote name='BirdieRoll' timestamp='1393082400' post='8721788']
G25s are more playable for me simply because my stats prove it. With them my GIR went up (as did my avg number of putts). My penalty shots went down and my chipping and sand play suffered a bit because I was hitting more greens. Only driver swing issues in July kept my handicap relatively unchanged. My misses are simply not as bad with the G25s. Came from Mizuno MX-200.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting. I am getting fit Monday and was rethinking because I was wondering if my mx300s would be any less forgiving. You helped answer that question.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Mizuno TI 15* - HZRDUS Green RDX 6.0

***Open to suggestions***

Mizuno Pro 245 with TT DG Mid 115 S300

Mizuno T24 54 and 60 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

I think the entire G25 line is excellent and playable for almost any golfer. I started with the fairway and hybrid and enjoyed them so much I ordered a set of G25 irons two weeks ago that I'm waiting for. Unfortunately, production has slowed a little due to the release of the i25 line. I hope to have them this week!

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1393081095' post='8721694']
Donno my friend you are becoming a bit of a troll in this thread. You have stated it is your opinion the forgivness of the G25 will not make that big a difference out on the course, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Please stop trolling this thread trying to covince all of us we are wrong about the playability of these clubs, no one is listening.

For the record I also own and play : Hogan Apex Plus, Hogan Apex Edge Pro, MP53, MP63, MP32 so I have a very broad range of playing experience. My home course is a tough second shot course and I hover around a 8-10 hcp, not great but not a total hack either. The G25 made enough of a difference that I will play them again this season.

With all this snow I would be happy hitting a rock with a stick in the middle of a cow pasture right now. I envy you living in CA with nice warm weather , what does green grass look like again, I have forgotten.
[/quote]

[i]Donno my friend you are becoming a bit of a troll in this thread. You have stated it is your opinion the forgivness of the G25 will not make that big a difference out on the course, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Please stop trolling this thread trying to covince all of us we are wrong about the playability of these clubs, no one is listening.[/i]

Troll comment aside...I'm not disagreeing that G25's are [u]FOR YOU[/u], but I see a lot of used G25 sets for sale at the local Roger Dunn, and many other SGI sets.[/quote]

Just for craps and giggles, a while back I was at a Golfsmith and actually counted all the used sets for sale, blades and cavity backs.

Now, do YOU think CBs outsell blades only about a 2-1 ratio (the ratio of blades to CBs on the used rack) ???

[quote] The evangelistic affirmations of "better golf" via the G25's is annoying. Everyone has a tendency to switch out clubs for "seasons" for thousands of reasons. And...I agree, if your drive leaves you with 180+ approach shots, the G25's, as well as [u][i]many other SGI irons[/i][/u], are better, probably with a smattering of hybrids. If that results in lower scores...perfect...I would do the same thing.

However, I'm still waiting to see the empirical evidence that G25's are more "[i]playable[/i]". In all my years of playing golf, I never really found the ultimate "[i]playable[/i]" clubs...I found clubs that fit my swing at that "[i]particular time[/i]"...but I'm open to suggestions. And I'm pretty sure I could pair a G25 with a different shaft which would make it not so "playable". My point is the shaft is amply more important than the club head. Call me a troll, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this way.
[/quote]

I'll GIVE you the empirical evidence. I have hit BOTH. There is NO QUESTION the cavity backs are more forgiving, both directionally and distance-wise.

Try it yourself. Pick whatever mid and whatever short iron you hit best. Take a blade and a cavity back of each and after you've warmed up for a bit hit them one after another, side by side.

And THEN come back and tell us there's no discernible difference in distance and/or direction.

Go to one of the "blade vs. CB" threads and argue (or not) your point, if you have one, there. If you can't find one I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Now kindly leave this thread to the "G25-ers". If you can't, maybe you can exert some self-control and not click on it ?
[/quote]

Mr. Ping Sales Guy, I will trial the G25 6 8 PW vs. other sets and report back. I can tell you the better players go for the S56/55, or the i20/25, and after looking thru Ping's site, I couldn't find one "Tour Player" section using G25's. Why are they kept in the dark about this amazing club? Or is it they need the feel and reliable distance to be competitive? Maybe the G25's will catch on but so far don't see them.

I guess I have to run tests because you post platitudes of All Hail the G25, or whatever, and fail to post any comparative data from your own personal experience vs. other clubs. I have played CB's for MANY years, as well as blades, and best rounds have been with blades...and CB's, mainly Ping Eye 2's. Handicap dropped far more when the driver straightened out 260-280 in the fairway, leaving shorter approach shots....nothing to do with irons....zero, and putting/chipping improved...nothing to do with irons...zero. And, I have demo'd the G20's against 15 or so other sets, spent half a day on a grass range, hitting everything from G20 to 1991 FG-51's, and a ton in between. I'll post those results too.

None

[quote name='Byrdman2230' timestamp='1393098418' post='8723082']
I think the entire G25 line is excellent and playable for almost any golfer. I started with the fairway and hybrid and enjoyed them so much I ordered a set of G25 irons two weeks ago that I'm waiting for. Unfortunately, production has slowed a little due to the release of the i25 line. I hope to have them this week!
[/quote]
Nice! I hope you get them this week too. Let us know when you get them. I ordered mine this past Tuesday (2/18) and they told me it will be about 3 weeks. Hope it's not longer than that...I'm playing Pinehurst #2 March 18 and I'd sure like to use them.

[attachment=2081720:2-22-2014 5-51-14 PM.jpg][attachment=2081720:2-22-2014 5-51-14 PM.jpg]For those who are thinking of buying G25's, or any other SGI ([i]I hate the term SGI because I don't believe in Super Game Improvement over Game Improvement[/i]) if the goal is more distance from the irons, possibly due to shorter drives, I suggest checking out the specs on the Speedblades vs. G25's. The lofts and lengths of the Speedblades, per specs, will add more distance based on stronger lofts and longer clubs. I can personally attest to the Speedblade 6 iron, on a computer, carrying the ball 190 with a total of 205...for me. No other club came within 10 yards.

Alternately, some newer players may not know that many irons can be bent to stronger lofts to avoid the cost of new clubs if distance is a factor. I have a set of Wilson FG-51 blades that are bent to new lofts, and +1/2" length vs. original. The 9 goes 155 and the 6 is 185-190. Just a thought.

None

Plus, in comparison to the G25's, I would caution that the longer Speedblades may be tougher to control. The reality of controlling a 4 iron that has the length of a 2 iron may create more problems. On a computer the Speedblades will hit farther, but on the course the G25's may be more controllable, but with somewhat shorter distance. For good ball strikers the Speedblades would be cool to hit a 230-240 yard drive with a 3 iron though, and hit 6's from 210. I think the long-iron lofts (3-4) in either set is too ambitious for the average player to control.

So for me, I think the G25's are "overall" more geared to reality of the demographic which is probably why people enjoy them. The Speedblades probably get unwieldy from the 5 on down, but it would be interesting to hear from those who have compared the two sets.

None

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1393097320' post='8723014']
Can you guys stop derailing the thread and get back on topic?

Continue singing the praises of the G25s.....carry on.....
[/quote]
Thank you! Been really wanting to post that. Nice job!

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1393100141' post='8723190']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mr. Ping Sales Guy, I will trial the G25 6 8 PW vs. other sets and report back. I can tell you the better players go for the S56/55, or the i20/25, and after looking thru Ping's site, I couldn't find one "Tour Player" section using G25's. Why are they kept in the dark about this amazing club? Or is it they need the feel and reliable distance to be competitive? Maybe the G25's will catch on but so far don't see them.

I guess I have to run tests because you post platitudes of All Hail the G25, or whatever, and fail to post any comparative data from your own personal experience vs. other clubs. I have played CB's for MANY years, as well as blades, and best rounds have been with blades...and CB's, mainly Ping Eye 2's. Handicap dropped far more when the driver straightened out 260-280 in the fairway, leaving shorter approach shots....nothing to do with irons....zero, and putting/chipping improved...nothing to do with irons...zero. And, I have demo'd the G20's against 15 or so other sets, spent half a day on a grass range, hitting everything from G20 to 1991 FG-51's, and a ton in between. I'll post those results too.
[/quote]

So much for your self control. :cheesy:

First of all,,,,,,,,,,,, "Mr Ping Sales Guy" ??? Do you see me suggesting PING as the cavity back ? Correct, you DON'T. It was "cavity back vs. blade"

Platitudes of "All Hail G25" ??? Wrong again Dewd. Do you SEE me "hailing" the G25 ? Correct, you don't. In point of fact, if you bothered reading my posts in this thread you would find I prefer the G20 over the G25.

Care to try again ? (That's a rhetorical question BTW - please DON'T)

So YOU play better with blades ? Or with CBs ? Sounds like you feel very strongly BOTH ways,,,,,, :cheesy: Perhaps you missed me saying play whatever the farg you like for whatever reason you like ?

And OF COURSE your handicap can come down via other means but THAT'S not the point EITHER, is it ? :wacko:

"Comparative data ? What ? You expect me to go out and measure the distance and dispersion for each shot ? :cheesy: Even *I* am not THAT bored. I GAVE you the empirical evidence you referred to. I TOLD you I've hit both and there is NO QUESTION in my mind that CBs are more forgiving for BOTH distance and dispersion.

Now go troll with somebody else. I am done HERE with you about CBs and blades (You're ALL welcome BTW :cheesy: ). Maybe you should post your findings somewhere else ? You know, like a "cavity backs vs. blades" thread ? :rolleyes:

As I mentioned previously, if you can't find one I'll be glad to find you one and post the link. ANYTHING to let you to stop trolling HERE about something other than the thread's purpose. :aikido:

Now don't go away mad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just go away !!! :wave:

I think one of the best thing about these irons is that they have dispelled the myth that good players should play a certain type of iron, and I guess we see that more and more on tour now as pros playing blades are now in the minority.

It's true you should try and play the most forgiving club you can bear to look at, and I guess with Ping making these look sleeker than previous G series irons more lower hc players are reaping the rewards of a more forging iron.

I still knock around with my old i3+ blades occasionally but find they only really keep up with the g25s on short flat courses, when I play a long challenging course I'm often grateful for the g25s forgiveness as I find I need to hit mid or long irons far more often and I think most amateurs find those to be the hardest clubs to hit.

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1393163928' post='8727246']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1393100141' post='8723190']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So much for your self control. :cheesy:

First of all,,,,,,,,,,,, "Mr Ping Sales Guy" ??? Do you see me suggesting PING as the cavity back ? Correct, you DON'T. It was "cavity back vs. blade"

Platitudes of "All Hail G25" ??? Wrong again Dewd. Do you SEE me "hailing" the G25 ? Correct, you don't. In point of fact, if you bothered reading my posts in this thread you would find I prefer the G20 over the G25.

Care to try again ? (That's a rhetorical question BTW - please DON'T)

So YOU play better with blades ? Or with CBs ? Sounds like you feel very strongly BOTH ways,,,,,, :cheesy: Perhaps you missed me saying play whatever the farg you like for whatever reason you like ?

And OF COURSE your handicap can come down via other means but THAT'S not the point EITHER, is it ? :wacko:

"Comparative data ? What ? You expect me to go out and measure the distance and dispersion for each shot ? :cheesy: Even *I* am not THAT bored. I GAVE you the empirical evidence you referred to. I TOLD you I've hit both and there is NO QUESTION in my mind that CBs are more forgiving for BOTH distance and dispersion.

Now go troll with somebody else. I am done HERE with you about CBs and blades (You're ALL welcome BTW :cheesy: ). Maybe you should post your findings somewhere else ? You know, like a "cavity backs vs. blades" thread ? :rolleyes:

As I mentioned previously, if you can't find one I'll be glad to find you one and post the link. ANYTHING to let you to stop trolling HERE about something other than the thread's purpose. :aikido:

Now don't go away mad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just go away !!! :wave:
[/quote]

Just when I thought we were [i]all good.[/i]...but how can I [i]go away [/i]after that post....Now THAT was funny! Great use of those characters! The last one waving is the best! And the one rolling over is pretty funny too. Never been called a Dewd before...maybe a "dude" though. Rah G25...tried ([i]unknown[/i]) blades at ([i]unknown[/i]) time...([i]unknown) [/i]never measured results...lousy clubs...Rah!

[i]DUDE (Dewd to you)[/i], you are so off the mark it's not funny....forget Blades vs. CB's...there's all kinds of CB's, cast, forged, whatever, so if you think a CB, say an AP2, is "in family" with a G25-type, you gotta put your bong in the dishwasher..."[i]pot setting[/i]". :rofl:

Try hitting an AP2 3-4 iron vs. G20...with good impact, both go fine...bad impact...G20 "friendlier" but not [i]magical[/i]. I've done it. The longer irons in the AP2's are for better ball strikers. I actually find AP2's can be more difficult ([i]uh-oh can I mention a blade[/i]) than MP4's ([i]I guess I'm the last guy who likes MP4's[/i]). Besides, it's the 3-4-5 irons that most people struggle with, and most SGI sets are [i]MORE [/i]designed to help with the longer irons, fat soles, stronger lofts, longer clubs...other than the fat soles, anyone could take their clubs to Golfsmith and re-shaft...bend to stronger lofts (some you can't bend)...not rocket science. Even hybrids are taking over the 3-4-5's as some sets are now sold as 5/6-PW.

The difficulty factor between one set of irons vs. another reduces dramatically at the 7 iron, and even more when progressing thru the 8 / 9 / PW. If you are hitting [i]all over the face [/i]with a 8-9-PW then [i]any set [/i]will do....and likely the drives are probably being plucked out of ice plant or bouncing off a tractor. The G25's really don't [i]really [/i]shine unless hit by great ball strikers for whom I think they are ultimately designed. I kinda feel sorry for the thousands of G20/25's as well as other great sets, going to homes of duffers, never getting a chance to perform as designed...kinda like clipped wing birds.

I was told the reason the pros are moving towards CB's is NOT because the blades are "too hard", but because the OEMs need to have them playing clubs the average guy has a [i]chance in hell [/i]of hitting...reason being the average guy never really improves their swing and are convinced through advertising that the club will take over. It's ALL ABOUT selling golf clubs year in and year out.

Go ahead...I'm ready!

None

I Donno what to say. . . .

Gopher, I haven't poked my head into one of these threads since Thanksgiving; I appreciate you reminding me why.

Some people will play better with G25s; in fact, many people. But not all.

If you try them and they don't help you, don't feel bad. Don't let Gopher and others guilt you into buying something you don't feel.

If you think you play better with MP4s, it's okay. Really. You probably do.

"Forgiveness" itself is not a straight line equation. Some people need a head that helps them get the ball up; some people need help lessening the consequences of a "fat" strike; some people need help avoiding a slice.

Other people find it useful to have a club head that helps them feel what they're doing wrong; then they fix their swing.

Still others find more forgiveness in finding the right shaft.

That's it. There is no substitute for trial and error. If G25s helped your score, or if they hurt your score, don't question your own empirical experience based on what some ****** says.

PS the stars replace a word for a feminine hygiene product that starts with "D."

PSS I'll check in again around the Fourth of July and see how its' going.

Donno I still can't make out if you actually like the G25s or not, your posts are so dramatic and random. I will assume you do.

Good point though; they are pings best selling iron at the moment even though no pros play them (or have been forced to play them) so they are certainly a big hit :-).

A lot of staff pros play clubs of other manufacturers, maybe that's part of the agreement to dropping their beloved blades ?!?

[/quote]
I'm looking for a forgiving iron that has a relatively softer feel. I'm presently playing Wishon 770 high strength steel irons that are clicky and hard feeling. I found the G25's to have a much nicer feel/sound than mine.
Knowing the MX-200 are a forgiving forged iron can you compare the two in terms of sound, feel and forgiveness?

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1393257394' post='8734388']
I'm looking for a forgiving iron that has a relatively softer feel. I'm presently playing Wishon 770 high strength steel irons that are clicky and hard feeling. I found the G25's to have a much nicer feel/sound than mine.
Knowing the MX-200 are a forgiving forged iron can you compare the two in terms of sound, feel and forgiveness?
[/quote]

Until recently, I owned the MX-200's, and I still own the MX-20's which are very similar. I also own the G15's, and own other GI irons like 710 AP1's and Wilson Staff Ci9's. Bottom line, I can probably score pretty similar with all of these irons. They're all excellent. But some irons are simply more point and shoot than others. Ping G series being as close to point and shoot as possible without going to the even chunkier hybrid-like irons.

To be honest, there are comparisons of the MX-200's and irons like the Ping G series going back years now. I do recall some people over the years preferring the MX-200's, and that's perfectly reasonable--the Mizuno MX-20, 23, 25, 200 are all sweet irons, forged and moderately forgiving. But the deciding factor isn't going to be because the MX-200's are more forgiving than the G's. Someone may hit the Mizuno's better, but they are not more forgiving per se. As to feel, this could start a whole other debate between cast and forged, but IMHO, there is simply not a huge difference in feel on a flushed shot between the G15's and MX-200's. Yes, I love a pured shot with the Mizunos, but it does come with a bit of a cost in overall forgiveness.

Bottom line, play what you want. But IMHO, you need to hit different irons out on the course, in the middle of a round, where you need to hit that 160 yard shot. What is going to give you the best shot to stick it on the green, and not hit it right, or left, or thin, or fat...YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Just had an amazing fitting here in NE Ohio. Ordered 4-pw blue dot with PXi 6.0 and one extra wrap under the grips. So can't wait for spring!

Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1393213166' post='8732132']

Gopher, I haven't poked my head into one of these threads since Thanksgiving; I appreciate you reminding me why.

If you try them and they don't help you, don't feel bad. Don't let Gopher and others guilt you into buying something you don't feel.
[/quote]

Geo,

Have you read the whole thread ? Probably not but that's OK, can't say as I blame ya.

But since you decided to comment on it and "diss" me, did you at least read where it went off on "CB vs. blade" ? And WHO began THAT part of the discussion ?

Further did you see WHO tried to steer Dumbo to threads concerning "CB vs blade" and get THIS THREAD back on track,,,,,,,, the G25 iron ?

And if you saw where I was trying to "guilt" someone into buying WHATEVER, kindly point it out. I'll be more than happy to point out where I said, for the nth time "Buy whatever you want for whatever REASON(S) you have"

But then none of that would serve your pre-disposition to argue against someone you've,,,,,, ummmmm,,,,,,, "had words with" previously, would it ? :rofl:

And now the (real) "D" word goes off trying to explain hybrids to us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you know, like they just hit the scene last week,,,,,,,,

Oh well,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1393307933' post='8739900']

[/quote]

Geo,

Have you read the whole thread ? Probably not but that's OK, can't say as I blame ya.

But since you decided to comment on it and "diss" me, did you at least read where it went off on "CB vs. blade" ? And WHO began THAT part of the discussion ?

Further did you see WHO tried to steer Dumbo to threads concerning "CB vs blade" and get THIS THREAD back on track,,,,,,,, the G25 iron ?

And if you saw where I was trying to "guilt" someone into buying WHATEVER, kindly point it out. I'll be more than happy to point out where I said, for the nth time "Buy whatever you want for whatever REASON(S) you have"

But then none of that would serve your pre-disposition to argue against someone you've,,,,,, ummmmm,,,,,,, "had words with" previously, would it ? :rofl:

And now the (real) "D" word goes off trying to explain hybrids to us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you know, like they just hit the scene last week,,,,,,,,

[/quote]

How about using private messages. I'll watch Real House Wives with my wife when I want to see this much drama. They're F@&$ing golf clubs.

Bettinardi Queen B

[quote name='JBuer' timestamp='1393329397' post='8740362']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1393307933' post='8739900']

[/quote]

Geo,

[/quote]

How about using private messages. I'll watch Real House Wives with my wife when I want to see this much drama. They're F@&$ing golf clubs.
[/quote]

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. Donno, Gopher, et al need to take it to private.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

I'm not the only guy who looks at the pros and cons of G series irons...see the below link. Started by a scratch golfer who is contemplating moving to G25s...similar to the topic on this thread.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/784159-scratch-golfer-looking-at-improvement-irons-help/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/784159-scratch-golfer-looking-at-improvement-irons-help/[/url]

None

[/quote]
[/quote]

Weten - looking back, I don't think the MX-200 is a forgiving iron to be honest. They're wonderful if you're a good ball striker, that forged feeling is awesome, but I lost significant amounts of yardage if I did not hit the sweet spot. (Using Maltby ratings as a guide, they rate it at 419 which puts it in the range of 10% least forgiving clubs).

As a weekend warrior in the snow belt, I got tired of having a club that wasn't very forgiving. Had to wait to see the pics of the G25 but then it was a no brainer decision for me although I'll tell you that the trajectory and distance was exactly the same with the G20. I just wanted the more svelte look.

The MX-200 is softer when flushed but also somewhat harsh on mishits. The G25 isn't quite as soft but the mishits feel better. (I should note the 200 gap wedge is great around the greens.)

One thing I like about the G25 is that it looks long heel to toe in my eye, feels like I have more club to work with. Lastly, the ball flight on the MX-200 was a touch lower than the G25, I play a Reg shaft.

Hope this helps.

BR

[quote name='BirdieRoll' timestamp='1393369186' post='8744600']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Weten - looking back, I don't think the MX-200 is a forgiving iron to be honest. They're wonderful if you're a good ball striker, that forged feeling is awesome, but I lost significant amounts of yardage if I did not hit the sweet spot. (Using Maltby ratings as a guide, they rate it at 419 which puts it in the range of 10% least forgiving clubs).

As a weekend warrior in the snow belt, I got tired of having a club that wasn't very forgiving. Had to wait to see the pics of the G25 but then it was a no brainer decision for me although I'll tell you that the trajectory and distance was exactly the same with the G20. I just wanted the more svelte look.

The MX-200 is softer when flushed but also somewhat harsh on mishits. The G25 isn't quite as soft but the mishits feel better. (I should note the 200 gap wedge is great around the greens.)

One thing I like about the G25 is that it looks long heel to toe in my eye, feels like I have more club to work with. Lastly, the ball flight on the MX-200 was a touch lower than the G25, I play a Reg shaft.

Hope this helps.

BR
[/quote]

Did you try the i20/25's, or the S series? Just wondering since you came from forged CBs.

None

[quote name='BirdieRoll' timestamp='1393369186' post='8744600']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hope this helps.

BR
[/quote]
I shot my lowest round (83) with the MX-23's. On off days they cost yardage, dispersion and confidence compared to the G5's.
When demoing the G25 standard steel shaft in the dome it mostly felt as good as the EZ forged. I'm sure the shaft is playing part in this. I'm a tweener and due to age and wanting a softer feel will go with a regular graphite shaft. I could feel a kick with this shaft.
I may be crazy however a soft feeling or kick is important to me right now. I see the great feeling graphite recoils are available in this club. I'm just not sure I want to spend the additional amount and probably will go stock graphite. Going graphite to avoid reoccurring tennis elbow and less wear on the body.
Thanks for your input.