2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ogio Stand Bags

grom, shling, etc.....
I'm looking into purchasing a new stand bag and have been looking at Ogio. I have heard nothing but good reviews about there bags, especially the woode divider system, but I wanted to see if anyone had pics of how this setup looks with clubs in the bag, and how the the dividers are working. I currently have a hoofer extreme and personally I am sick of dealing with the clubs getting tangled.
Also with the shling how does this carry system work for those with broad shoulders?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Vaporlite (non-shling) and I love it! 3.8 pounds with plenty of pockets. The Woode system works fine for me...the clubs get tangled once in a while (it is a carry/stand bag, after all), but no more than my previous 9 1/2" cart bag did.

I've got broad shoulders. My wife and I both tried the shling system when we were looking for her a bag and we both hated it. It was uncomfortable with an empty bag, so we figured it would be worse loaded.

Do a search for Ogio and you'll find some pics...I don't have any.

I would definitely buy another Ogio bag.

I have an Ogio Grom, and I absolutely love it. Club organization system is great, especially having all of the Wood slots along the side. Obviously the grooves don't keep the irons perfectly in place when you're walking, but it does a good job of keeping everything relatively organized.

I haven't really spent a lot of time looking at the Schling, but the guys in the bag department at my store absolutely hate it. Unless you have perfectly formed, symmetrical shoulders, it's not going to feel any more comfortable than regular backpack straps.

I've attached some pics of my Ogio with my standard 14 club setup.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I was not impressed with the Shling system or the Woode system.

I am a larger guy (6'2", 210 lbs.) and the Shling did not seem to fit me. It was cutting into my neck muscles (help me out here pre-med guys- trapezius?) I had my dad try it too, as he is a little larger than me, and he hated it as well. Even in the widest setting, it still seemed too narrow.

Also, I found that if I put my driver in the top "Woode" slot on the left, that it pretty well obscured the view of all the clubs below it. The other thing was that the sections for the irons are not long enough. What I mean by that is that the toes of the irons above, contact the heels of the irons in the next row below it. They needed to implement some sort of elevated base or something to keep that from happening. I could see some nice forged irons taking a beating. I also found the clubs got hung up a lot with the Woode system. Moreso with returning clubs to the bag than removing.

I've got the Vision SS with the Shling and love it. I also have broad shoulders, ex-LB, and don't have any problems with fit or feel. Its easy to lift on and off your shoulders. The bag has two balancing rings which help with the weight of your bag if needed. This is my second Ogio and don't plan on buying anything but Ogio's in the future.

I sort of echo Mr. Divots. I've got a 2007 Vaporlite.

It's the best looking stand bag I've owned (I've got the khaki, white and flame colorway) and it's got plenty of storage space that's well organized. It's also a very comfortable carry with the hip pad and the crossbow triple triangle strap system (once you figure out how to get it adjusted properly).

BUT - the legs are kind of flimsy and you can't set the bag on a hillside without it tipping over. And, like Mr. Divots said, the Woode system is okay but not great. It's best feature is the way it separates your long sticks. But the way the iron compartments are designed things get kinda jumbled up and there's definitely a lot of clanging around back there. And like he says, the clubs for some reason do not like to go back in the bag and I'm always banging my knuckles pushing clubs down that suddenly shoot to the bottom. In particular, with my wedges at the front, I feel like I've got to fight through all the other irons to get to them.

So, like every bag, it has it's good and bad. It's a great carry, but because of its problems I think I'll probably go back to a Ping when I replace it. Ping's leg deployment system is still the gold standard.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

I have been looking at the Ogio bags. I especially like the Grom.

I am trying to decide between the Ogio Grom and the Ping Vantage.

Just for a heads up, I have tried the Vantage and all of the current Ping carry bags and I'll be hesitant to purchase one again based upon how poorly it holds 14 clubs. I know Ping carry bags used to be considered the "best" in the business but, I'd highly recommend staying away from them if you carry 14 clubs.

3puttforpar

I just received my 2007 Ogio Grom Bag in Fire & Silver today.

I got it on eBay, and it came with a free Ogio Golf Towel, no tax, free shipping and was $10 cheaper then the local store. Also there was a tag on the bag for a 12-month free subscription to Golf Magazine. When I was looking at the bag at a Rodger Dunn I didn't notice the tag for a free magazine subscription, people probably pulled them off w/o buying the bag.

Here are my pics and a quick review.

Woode Top w/ clubs:

Ogio%20Woode.JPG

The Woode system seems pretty good, it is a little tough to fit my Driver (shortened 1'') on top of my X Hot 3-Wood (shortened 1/2''). The X Hot is an inch longer then a standard 3-wood, and my UCLA Headcover for my Driver are part of the reason.

I definitely like the putter well, it keeps my Odyssey 2 Ball SRT from banging into the graphite shafts of my woods/hybrids. I like to leave the putter cover off when I play, and with my old Callaway bag it would always hit.

The iron area works well, I like the fully divide slots. Another annoyance for me was clubs getting tangled, which doesn’t seem to be as much as a problem with the Grom. The bottom slot for the irons where I have my wedges is kinda snug towards the bottom though.

Ogio_1.JPG

Ogio_2.JPG

Ogio_3.JPG

Tee-slots

Ogio%20Tees.JPG

The external area for tees works well with standard tees because they get wider at the top. If you use Zero Friction Tees a single tee is a little loose, and I could see it falling out while walking, but 2 tees fit pretty snug.

Free Ogio Towel

Ogio%20Towel.JPG

The Grom seems pretty cool even though I've only played with it my office, the Zipperless Ball Pocket and Ball Silo work very well. Straps are nice and padded, and feel comfortable on the shoulders. I like how the legs instantly pop-out when you set the bag down. The Callaway XTT stand system requires you to apply pressure when you are setting it down for the legs to kick out.

I walk 80% of the time with no cart, and ride the other 20%, so I was a little concerned with the weight since its heavier then my old Callaway Warbird XTT, but I really don't notice the 1.3 pound difference.

Here are somethings I'm not to happy about, but don't know if it will be an issue until I actually try it out on the course, or it's not a really big deal.

1. When the legs extended the bag can rock from side to side. This maybe intentional when ur put the bag on hills, so the weight can distribute more towards one side. The Callaway XTT stand is very solid, but it is so ridge it has fallen over on hills on me.

2. There is no small zippered internal pocket. My old Callaway bag had a small hanging pocket inside the big garment pocket. I found this very convenient to put range cards/tokens, divot tool, ball marker b/c of its size.

3. Cell phone slot. This pocket is pretty small, my phone (Motorola A1200/Ming - not a big phone) fits, but it's very tight and hard to take out.

4. Most of the zippered pockets have a rounded portion on the zipper line for the opening. The problem is when you are opening and closing the pockets you sometimes kit stuck on the "corner" of the pocket.

5. The elastic towel holder seems like the towel could fallout while walking. Not a big deal for me since I normally use a towel with a Carabineer.

Overall, the bag seems cool too me - the Gimmicks actually seem useful. I don't think there is such thing as a perfect stand bag, but this one is the closest I’ve found.

First of all I have a grom and really like it, theres some pics in my witb. Secondly, ArchangelGT where did you pic up that ogio towel? I saw those along side some headcovers and hats i think it was a while back in a golf mag.

The ebay seller who I bought my bag from offers the free Ogio Golf Towel with purchase. Here is one of their auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OGIO-2007-GROM-Golf-St...1QQcmdZViewItem

The free shipping is fast, bought it on Sunday arrived today (Friday).

The weakness in Ogio Bags is with the legs -- they are ungangly, sit up too high and make the bag unstable.

Watch it in the wind -- my son's bag fell over all the time - finally it fell down a hill and the entire stand mechanism fell off the bag.

If you can live with that, they make a fine bag.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I have the VisionSS (shling system) and am a big fan. I think I'd have a hard time going away from both the Woode and Shling in any future full time bags--but don't discount the possibility (I do kind of want a Sunday/par-3 bag). I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 200lbs w/ some broadish shoulders and have no problems with the Shling at all. It did take me about a round to get used to putting it on and taking it off smoove-like. It is a little bit on the heavy side for a carry bag, but the Shling system is great at distributing the load (doesn't pull you back--sits evenly and down), you don't ever "one-shoulder" it the last 100 yards to the green, and honestly--if I was that motivated to get lighter, I'd drop the extra lb. off my waste. :drinks:

One problem I will note though, OGIO's quality control has slipped a bit in the last couple years. First Vision I got was great. Legs retracted perfectly and the full length dividers were tight...but the handle broke (only real design flaw is that the top of the handle where the Shling harness rests is not reinforced at all--very cheap design). On the bag I have now, the legs hang a bit while walking and the dividers are a little loose. The only upside to this is that when the handle eventually breaks, I'll be able to roll the dice with a new one. To OGIO's credit, they do stand by their product...for a year. :D

:hi:

I have the Exo. Great bag, except for a little extra weight, and while the legs retract fine, the leg nearest my body crosses over the other leg. I would get another Ogio when the time comes. Maybe a Sun Mountain.

As far as the irons getting stuck while putting them back in the bag- I leave the base on the ground and raise the bag to vertical. It is the easiest way to deal with that.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

I think the deal with the schling is you either love it or hate it....there's no middle ground. Some people fit it well, others don't fit it at all :drinks:

on a side note:

ArchAngel - what is that skull & crossbones hybrid headcover?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I had an Ogio before I got my Mizuno Twister. I really liked it, but the ball pocket got a hole in it, so balls were falling out my bag every where on the course.

I love the Woode management system. I got the Twister specifically because the club divider system was similar to the Ogio. I found it very sturdy and stable, on hilly courses where I was standing it up on the side of hills and such.

I'm needing to look at getting a new bag, shortly, and like the look of the Ping Hoofer Extreme, but i'll take a serious look at Ogio's first.