2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

How 'worth it' is Pinehurst No. 2

italianstallion

So I've been gifted with 2 weeks off from work, and I have zero plans. I live in Tampa, FL and the only thing I want to do is golf. I'm thinking about making the pilgrimage to Pinehurst to play the No. 2 course.

I wouldn't be staying on property to keep the cost down. If I drive up, I'd play No. 2 and only No. 2. The greens fee on the No. 2 course is going to cost $380. Gas to get up there and back will be $150. Budget hotel will run me $60 a night, and I'd be taking a rental car at $15 a day.

Can I be considered crazy for dropping this kind of coin on what's essentially one round of golf? I played Bethpage before the 2009 US Open and it was great watching the pros play there and knowing what sort of shots they were facing, but that place only set me back $70.

So GolfWRX, talk me into it or talk me out of it.

[sign here]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played there a couple of years ago . . . #2, #4 and #8.

I got some package deal on their website, I don't remember the cost but I do remember how wonderful the whole place was. The golf as well as the #2 clubhouse with all of the memorabilia and statues.

Do check out the packages, maybe several rounds at a discount is more rational than one expensive one by itself.

(I guess a suggestion to pay even more money isn't exactly what you were looking for, but hey!

Worth it YES but going up there as a single no buddies and only one round of golf ehhh i wouldnt do it. Now what i would do is plan this trip for a few days with a group of guys and road trip it. I would play two weeks worth of golf in florida on your break. You have streamsong not to fair from you and they are doing florida discounts now. Drive into orlando and play some of the high end courses there. I would save the pinehurst trip. Hell i will be living in
jacksonville begining of next month and plan to make a trip there to play. Actually i walked around the grounds and hit balls at pinehurst one afternoon after playing tobbaco road. I decided not to play it due to not being there with buddies. Sept is when i am thinking of doing the trip..... Wanna meet up with another wrx-ier and play.

Their 2 person packages for 2/3 nights are actually pretty reasonable, so ya I'd wait till you could coerce someone to go with you.
Some golfing meccas are set up for single travelers (Bandon in the off-season - did it twice in the last year -, Pebble during their NCGA January discounts, all of the UK and Ireland), some like Pinehurst and Kohler not so much.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Basically if you can afford it without it being a major impact on yourself financially then, yes it's worth it.

I have played ot many ways. As a single walk on and met a great guy who I still keep in touch with business wise.

I've done it as a buddies trip as well. They both have their advantages.

If you're young, single have the time and money. I say do it, you will never regret doing it, but most likely will regret it if you don't.

Also make a day of it. Once you pay your fee you can enjoy the practice facility all day unlimited. In itself it's worth $100 to practice.

Then hang out on the veranda with a beer orctwo and watch groups come up 18.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Pinehurst #2 is a must play if you ever have the opportunity. And you are creating your own opportunity to play it. As to value for time and money, that's a decision you have to make. Keep in mind that you are not just paying for a round of golf. You'll be paying for a vacation and an experience that you'll remember for the rest of your life.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

Great course but not worth the drive from Florida just to play one round there. Add another round or two nearby, for ex. at Mid Pines or Dormie Club or the other tracks discussed in these forums. Also remember that unless you are staying at Pinehurst Resort, tee times on #2 are slim pickings without the ability to book far in advance.

I actually have tomorrow through Monday off and was thinking of driving up myself. Although I live in atlanta. Think I might do it. Can't find anyone else who has the time/ wants to go at this late date.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

Just to add to potomacgolfer saying not for only one round. I can certainly understand that. Although I made the 5.5 hour drive down and back in the same day from DC once for just one round.

But back on topic, there are several other value courses in the area. If you can swing another $50 or $60 bucks you will have plenty of choices for a 2nd round.

Also didn't mention in my previous post, take a caddie. Again it adds to the expense, but it will add even more to the experience. The Pinehurst caddies are some of the best and will be full of stories..and since you are going alone, that will make up for not having buddies around during the round to talk to.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1371674604' post='7284594']
Just to add to potomacgolfer saying not for only one round. I can certainly understand that. Although I made the 5.5 hour drive down and back in the same day from DC once for just one round.

But back on topic, there are several other value courses in the area. If you can swing another $50 or $60 bucks you will have plenty of choices for a 2nd round.

Also didn't mention in my previous post, take a caddie. Again it adds to the expense, but it will add even more to the experience. The Pinehurst caddies are some of the best and will be full of stories..and since you are going alone, that will make up for not having buddies around during the round to talk to.
[/quote]

Speaking of going/playing alone and with a caddie, I went there as a birthday present from my (non-golfer) wife, who went with me. We had a great time together when off the course, but I didn't suffer from lack of golf buddies while on the course either. When I played #2, I played alone walking with a caddie. Just the two of us for the whole round -- blissful! And while playing #8 the next day I got paired with a guy to make us a twosome. Turned out the guy was an old teaching pro, who took pity on me and gave me a free playing lesson -- pretty much for the cost of a couple of beers I offered after the round with the delightful guy. (My real golf buddies would have been nice too, but would definitely not have been so skillfully helpful!)

Sawgrass..The last tiem I went solo, i really enjoyed it. it was a birthday present from my fiance as well, but she didn't go. She didn't want me to feel pressed or hurried to come back to the hotel after golf.

I had a very leisurely couple days. One of my favorite authors of all time is James Dodson, I stopped in his office unanounced and univited. Hoping for just a quick hello and signature on his latest book I took down to read. He literally invited me into his office propped up his feet and we talked for about 20 minutes before he had to call in for a radio interview.

I took a lesson from Eric Alpenfels at the Pinehurst Academy, played a late afternoon round. All in all it was a very leisurely trip, just what I needed at the time.

When I go down with buddies, it's always a good time, but it's let's cram in 36 every day and drink all night an repeat.

This was a very nice change.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1371676019' post='7284756']
Sawgrass..The last tiem I went solo, i really enjoyed it. it was a birthday present from my fiance as well, but she didn't go. She didn't want me to feel pressed or hurried to come back to the hotel after golf.

I had a very leisurely couple days. One of my favorite authors of all time is James Dodson, I stopped in his office unanounced and univited. Hoping for just a quick hello and signature on his latest book I took down to read. He literally invited me into his office propped up his feet and we talked for about 20 minutes before he had to call in for a radio interview.

I took a lesson from Eric Alpenfels at the Pinehurst Academy, played a late afternoon round. All in all it was a very leisurely trip, just what I needed at the time.

When I go down with buddies, it's always a good time, but it's let's cram in 36 every day and drink all night an repeat.

[/quote]

Yikes Carolina! Too much talk about Pinehurst -- now I want to go with Italian Stallion to keep him company! If only the old budget would permit!

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1371676925' post='7284850']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1371676019' post='7284756']

[/quote]

Yikes Carolina! Too much talk about Pinehurst -- now I want to go with Italian Stallion to keep him company! If only the old budget would permit!
[/quote]
I know, his solo trip cold turn into a regional GolfWRX outing before he knew it.

Vokey

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1371688497' post='7286104']
Played it many times and really like the course but its way over priced. My rounds have all been business related. Personally wouldn't pay the rack rate. I understand the rate for Pebble but #2 no way.
[/quote]
It's funny I feel the exact opposite ad you about Pebble and Pinehurst. Granted I've never played
Pebble so I may be uninformed. But I've heard it has about 5 spectacular holes and 13 holes that could be on any public course in the US

Pinehurst I feel has 18 really great holes. Each one is a challenge in of itself. That's saying something considering there is no water in the course and most players will almost get around the course with 1 ball. It's impossible to lose one there. But the course had many other defenses, the greens namely and the new waste areas.

Vokey

There is so much good golf in that area. Yes, No. 2 has its special place in history and stands out in an area full of great golf. Thats said, I couldn't justify one trip - one round. For what you are looking at to get on (if you do) No. 2, you could get three rounds in at three other rock solid golf courses all within 20 minutes of No. 2.

Whatever you end up doing, you'll love it there. The Sand Hills is a very special place for anyone who loves golf. Have fun!

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

I would say go for it if Pinehurst is what you really wanna do. If you're open to other suggestions, Kiawah is closer to you and if you play two rounds you can play the Ocean course for "cheap" for their replay deal I'm pretty sure. Just an option if you are just looking to play golf at a great place. Either one though, it'll be a great time I'm sure.

Forever Changing at this point.......

This thread has inspired me. I think I'll be making the trip this summer. I'll probably be going solo. My one good friend who golfs is having back issues and is probably done for the season. I wanted to take a golf trip this year and was considering the Greenbrier, but I think this would be better. My birthday is next month. I'll probably make it a present to myself.

BMore. I would definitely do Pinehurst over Greenbrier. A lot more courses to choose from and a lot less stuffy. I get the feeling at GB you're supposed to walk around the resort in a smoking jacket holding a cup of tee with your pinky properly extended.

At Pinehurst shorts and a beer are pretty much the norm everywhere.

One of my solo trips was a birthday present. Probably the best present I've ever gotten.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1371807151' post='7295798']
BMore. I would definitely do Pinehurst over Greenbrier. A lot more courses to choose from and a lot less stuffy. I get the feeling at GB you're supposed to walk around the resort in a smoking jacket holding a cup of tee with your pinky properly extended.

At Pinehurst shorts and a beer are pretty much the norm everywhere.

One of my solo trips was a birthday present. Probably the best present I've ever gotten.
[/quote]

I knew the Greenbrier was fancy, but I didn't know it was that stuffy. My best friend's grandfather was born and raised near the Greenbrier. Over 60 years ago he and his wife moved up here and bought up a ton of land in Ellicott City and built homes and office buildings. Needless to say, that paid off well for them. Ironically they lived in what is probably the smallest house they built. My friend told me that whenever his grandparents would take the family back down there they would never let them go to the Greenbrier, even though they could well afford it. They didn't want the town folk to think they were better than them. When his grandfather passed away a couple years ago, the Greenbrier sent a couple busses of the town folk up here for the funeral. I was supposed to go with my friend and his father this summer for them to finally take in the Greenbrier and we were going to play the Old White Course, but his back is tore up and he can't play golf for quite a while. I still want to take a golf trip, and Pinehurst sounds really good.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1371690078' post='7286292']
[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1371688497' post='7286104']
Played it many times and really like the course but its way over priced. My rounds have all been business related. Personally wouldn't pay the rack rate. I understand the rate for Pebble but #2 no way.
[/quote]
It's funny I feel the exact opposite ad you about Pebble and Pinehurst. Granted I've never played
Pebble so I may be uninformed. But I've heard it has about 5 spectacular holes and 13 holes that could be on any public course in the US

Pinehurst I feel has 18 really great holes. Each one is a challenge in of itself. That's saying something considering there is no water in the course and most players will almost get around the course with 1 ball. It's impossible to lose one there. But the course had many other defenses, the greens namely and the new waste areas.
[/quote]

Pebble has something special vs Pinehurst and probably because I live in NC and have played #2 so many times. The weather and surroundings at Pebble are so different. I find myself looking around at all the cool things. For a Carolina boy it's much cooler than another pine tree. To each his own.

I live in NC and have played many courses in the area but never any of resort courses. My wife had a girls day at the spa earlier this year and loved it. We celebrated our 10 year anniversary this spring but never could decide what to do. After reading this thread I decided to see what Pinehurst was offering and jokingly said we can get 3 nights with 4 rounds for me 4 spa treatments for you with breakfast and dinner each day. She said lets do it. So in a little over a month I will be playing #'s 4, 7, 8, & 2 (w/caddie).

I'm in pinehurst as we speak. Went over to the resort to watch the North South amateur matches this afternoon and the course looks amazing. I would definitely say worth it.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana ZF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T100s 4-P w/ C-Taper Lite X
Titleist Vokey Raw 48, 54, 60 w/ S400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat