Rounds with a Vintage Bag

I think the new game could be trying to come up with a club that Teevons doesn't have ... :)

ROTFLMAO! That would be a difficult game from what I have seen :rofl:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I think the new game could be trying to come up with a club that Teevons doesn't have ... :)

ROTFLMAO! That would be a difficult game from what I have seen :rofl:

LOL. Up for the challenge. Let's see.....(rubbing chin in contemplation).....some obscure Allied would be to easy. I bet 100 "Tiffany Bobo's" T doesn't have a Spaulding Chi Chi Rodriguez Caribbean iron.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Spent a few days over Thanksgiving in Destin, FL visiting family. After lunch Thursday I made an online tee time for Friday at the Sandestin Links, a persimmon layout built in the early 70's. Since everyone around me at the house seemed to be napping (tryptophan overload), I decided to drive over to the clubhouse and see about putting/chipping etc for a bit and take a look around. When I got there the course was closed, surprisingly since the other three courses at Sandestin were clearly open (and packed, carts stacked up on every tee). But there were a few individuals walking and playing.

I asked a young guy as he came off #9 green, "So, free golf today?"

"Yep!"

So I grabbed my full bag out of the car and walked nine holes. Here's some pics I took of the course:

View from 7th tee looking across 9th fairway to Choctawhatchee Bay:

Walking up to the 8th green:

View from 9th tee, par 5 somewhat reminiscent of the 18th at Pebble:

#9 Green looking north towards the bay:

From #9 green looking back down the fairway:

Played decently over the 9 holes Thursday and 18 on Friday but nothing to write home about. Mostly avoided the big holes (only 2 doubles, nothing worse) but didn't have any birdies and turned a lot of routine pars into bogies.

Took my Hogan Precisions (2-9, Equalizer, Exploder) and Spalding model 38 persimmons (D, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, & 4 1/2 woods). Easily my favorite irons and quickly becoming my go-to woods:

Having the 2 wood in the bag is like carrying a second driver, but a mirror image of it. The driver I hit fairly low with run and usually with a little fade. The 2 wood launches higher and straighter, occasionally with a slight draw. I really love having both options in my bag.

Also carried my Hogan P112 putter, a club NOT in any immediate danger of becoming a favorite.

Also hit the 2 iron 5-6 times over the 27 holes and smoked it each time. I'm really starting to develop some confidence in it, somthing I never thought I'd say.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Spent a few days over Thanksgiving in Destin, FL visiting family. After lunch Thursday I made an online tee time for Friday at the Sandestin Links, a persimmon layout built in the early 70's. Since everyone around me at the house seemed to be napping (tryptophan overload), I decided to drive over to the clubhouse and see about putting/chipping etc for a bit and take a look around. When I got there the course was closed, surprisingly since the other three courses at Sandestin were clearly open (and packed, carts stacked up on every tee). But there were a few individuals walking and playing.

I asked a young guy as he came off #9 green, "So, free golf today?"

"Yep!"

So I grabbed my full bag out of the car and walked nine holes. Here's some pics I took of the course:

View from 7th tee looking across 9th fairway to Choctawhatchee Bay:

Walking up to the 8th green:

View from 9th tee, par 5 somewhat reminiscent of the 18th at Pebble:

#9 Green looking north towards the bay:

From #9 green looking back down the fairway:

Played decently over the 9 holes Thursday and 18 on Friday but nothing to write home about. Mostly avoided the big holes (only 2 doubles, nothing worse) but didn't have any birdies and turned a lot of routine pars into bogies.

Took my Hogan Precisions (2-9, Equalizer, Exploder) and Spalding model 38 persimmons (D, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, & 4 1/2 woods). Easily my favorite irons and quickly becoming my go-to woods:

Having the 2 wood in the bag is like carrying a second driver, but a mirror image of it. The driver I hit fairly low with run and usually with a little fade. The 2 wood launches higher and straighter, occasionally with a slight draw. I really love having both options in my bag.

Also carried my Hogan P112 putter, a club NOT in any immediate danger of becoming a favorite.

Also hit the 2 iron 5-6 times over the 27 holes and smoked it each time. I'm really starting to develop some confidence in it, somthing I never thought I'd say.

Kevin, is that a Triumph or BSA single?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

There has been a lot of very cool bags and courses making an appearance here on this thread of late. Keep them coming as this is like a travelogue of the good life for me! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Stix, found a Turfrider 1 iron also!!

Let me know if you bump into a M75 2 iron with leather grip! or 11 iron.

I do have a M75 11 iron

I may be able to take that 1 iron. Pm me

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Holden looks like you had a good time playing,Nice bag.

Took the button backs out today, first time since the end of Feb. The W/S laminate woods were in bag. The putter today was a early titleist/ Cameron flanged bullseye that I worked over this past summer. 30 putts:-) Lynnwood is a little Muni just north of Seattle. It's short and tight 4741 yards no par 5s and 4 par 3s on the back,par 65. Shot 8 over with several bad club choices and my over the top hatchet swings. Very damp and mid 40 degrees no roll soggy. Looking forward to next weekend's round at one of the nicer drier courses. At this point not sure to stay with this bag or take the hickories?

The ball I played was one of the Kirkland Signature balls. After almost 2 years playing the E6 they seem harder and click ier. On well struck Iron shots I was really liking the snap sound they made. Putting was the same and I am getting used to the sound and feel.

Happy rounds folks, Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

Played my first round in 4 months, to celebrate the end my first year in the game (back in school, gotta study!), and to try out my new old bag. Never hit persimmon before, so I was surprised when I heard the thonk instead of the 15 million overtones that shoot out of titanium drivers. It turns out I was backing out of my shots with a metal driver because I don't like the tinny sound, so I actually was able to put some more oomph on my persimmon than I was normally comfortable doing. Threw in old hogan blades to replace my Nikes and I didn't notice much difference except for when I sunk that knife 2 inches behind and a foot under the ball on one shot.

About the handsy putting: I used a macgregor geo low style putter and I noticed that I couldn't get the soft centered feeling with a strict pendulum stroke, but when I let my wrists and forearms turn more in and out of the stroke, it felt like it had a rubber insert.

All in all, I'm hooked! It was like I actually played with the course.

Well, I went out the Sunday before Thanksgiving for the first time in several months. It has just been an off year for me; life keeps getting in the way of golf. No major issues, just work and distractions.

My companions for the day were Hogan Apex PC irons, some Cleveland wedges, a Maxfli Tad Moore putter, and my PING Eye2 three and five woods. A couple of new recruits went along: a Powerbilt persimmon 2 wood, and a Wilson JP II pitching wedge. These were recent acquisitions at $4 and $3 respectively. I played ok for the first nine, shooting 44 which is acceptable for me. The back was not so prosperous. Although I was hitting the ball fairly well for me most of the time, a couple of bad swings and several small mistakes made for some dismal scoring.

It was a little cool-low 50's, but a beautiful afternoon. My playing buddy was a guy I have played with in a scramble and we have been meaning to get out for a regular round. We turned out to be compatible in ability and speed of play, so an enjoyable game. The PING woods were there usual reliable selves. The PC's and I have not quite settled all our differences, but I like them well enough that I am going to replace the mis-matched 4 iron. The Cleveland wedges are ok. There is a 53-56SW-60. The 53 is ok, and I like the SW, but haven't gotten the hang of the 60. I have never used one previously. The "new" JP II was instantly like an old friend. It is likely that it will replace the Cleveland 53, and I will keep the Cleveland 56 SW in the bag and drop the 60. I made a few good putts with the Maxfli Tad Moore. Someone uglied it up with some lead tape, but at least they applied it so that the balance was maintained. It swings so well I am reluctant to change it; I can see this becoming a long term relationship. I need some more experience with the Powerbilt 2-wood. It looks practically un-hit.I like the way it looks set up to the ball. I hit it a couple of times with fair results, but it had a slick Victory grip, and the course I was playing was fairly tight, so I was hesitant to give it a good rip not knowing what my right or left tendencies might be with it.

I hope you all have had a good Thanksgiving and are looking forward to a safe and healthy Christmas and New Year.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Today's weapons of choice!

Nine holes walking, sore back and all at the local executive length par 61 goat track. Conditions are getting pretty tough, but it played well with a bit of moisture to make things receptive. I mixed in a birdie, two pars with six bogies for a +5.

I thoroughly enjoyed my round and was very happy with my play particularly from inside 150 yards. A good way to end the season! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As planned the wife and I met up with some folks related to where I work for a round at The Home Course. THC is a joint venture with Washington State golfs association and the Pacific North West golf associations. It's a links style course and has a vibe that really agrees with me. Modern and Classic rounds have been good there. The Hickory rounds are still a bit of a challenge,More rounds and the efforts will equal better results.

Today's round was played from the white tee's with a yardage of 6088 yards with a rating of 69.9/127.Weather was in the mid to high 40's wind about 10 MPH. Wind comes into play more on the back 9. Played the same bag as last week with the WS 2 laminate woods, WS button back Irons 3-PW with reproduction Dynapower 56 and 60* wedges. Putter a wrecked by me Titleist early flanged SC bulleseye. One of these days I will post some pictures of this putter. Hockey fans just think of Flyers orange black and white.

The front nine was nothing special 5 over with inconsistent drives, hard pull left or lazy fades nothing really getting me in trouble. Irons were good distance close or on what I wanted. 2 3 putts and ended up +5.

Back 9 started out bogey par birdie. 13 is the #2 handicap hole 404 that plays long. Bad drive sitting 237 out with the wind at my back hit a solid 3 wood on. My 3 wood isn't my most well struck club in any of my bags. I was happy on that swing. 15 just has my # don't know why? Seems like it's all ways into the wind. Bad drive and the second shot is blind too a green I have 4 putted. Carded my only double today on it. On my 3rd shot on 16 i had my epiphany, about 70 from the stick, undulating green. I didn't want to fly one at the stick so the 9 iron came out and a low chip that ran to about 6 feet one putt, birdie. Finished up par bogey for a 79 for the round. Very happy with the round! Played the same KSig ball all round.

On 18 i handed my driver to one of our round mates. He had never hit a real wood. He striped it down the middle about 200 yards. he was all smiles and said I may have started something. He said it felt good and weird at the same time. i think he may want to get some classic woods? I think I will play hickory clubs next time we play, we need more classic and hickory players!

My classic bag game golf link is this one

http://www.gamegolf....intage70sjimmyB

this is different from the link in my signature.

Sorry for the long winded post, just enjoyed my round!

Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

Todays bag, KISS

Where are the persimmons? It ain't like you have none

2010's TM Driver

90's Mizuno FW 3 and 5

73' Hogan Apex irons

2000's Cleveland Wedge

86 Ping Pal 4 putter

Had 5 separate decades in the bag today for my first round back in 4-5 months. Felt good. Really great iron play. Stuck a 4 iron on a par 3 to 4 feet. Driver was good, average 250-260. Only one bad miss left. Wedges could of been better.

But what got me was putting. Haven't counted but I think at least 45 putts. Quite a few 3 putts and the rest were 2 putts. I never got it in using just one putt. Even the 4 footer I 2 putted. Lol.

Ended 11 strokes over my average for that course.

Could of been the layoff, BUT

Good bye Ping Pal 4!!!

Todays bag, KISS

Where are the persimmons? It ain't like you have none

short course

I sorta figured that in very deep recesses of what is left of my mind. You know I had to give you some crap. Would you really expect anything different from me? :taunt:

Snuck in nine in the fading sunlight this afternoon. Pretty cold, but quiet and, frankly, stunning.

Half set of DXs, Blue Devil and the Busson modified M85s. Woods are as good as expected and feels special looking down to see Harry Busson on the crown of the two wood. Face of the three wood needs some love though, so has some workshop time booked.

Great way to wrap up a weekend.

Snuck in nine in the fading sunlight this afternoon. Pretty cold, but quiet and, frankly, stunning.

Half set of DXs, Blue Devil and the Busson modified M85s. Woods are as good as expected and feels special looking down to see Harry Busson on the crown of the two wood. Face of the three wood needs some love though, so has some workshop time booked.

Great way to wrap up a weekend.

Weve had some great weather here of late, looks lovely there jonny, where is that?

Rolled a 38 and a 39 at Schoolhouse 9 today. Very Happy since I was using vintage clubs and have not played in almost a month. I used Sam Snead Champ Irons 3 through 9, Wilson Sandy Andy SW and a Wilson Augusta Brass Bullseye.

Let me tell you it is a different game with these irons. Leading edge is a knife! Nutted a 4 iron on the final hole (167 yards) an 2 putted for a par. Great way to end the round! Good times.

best part of living in florida is the season never ends

A bit like here in NE Australia where only bush fires, floods and tropical cyclones interfere with a daily round. You would be familiar with the last two.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Another KISS Armour EVO forged blades 2,5,7,9 and Ironmasters putter, 9 holes, 5 one putts!!

Irons are not that old but putter is close as I can find to model Palmer won most of his tournaments with and based the Palmer Designed by on

Could not tell for sure but is that one of those green shafted Ironmasters?