2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Played vintage today, Ben Hogan Speed Slots driver and 3W, Haig Ultra 6,8,9 irons and Bullseye putter in a brand new black and white Jones original carry bag. All the clubs were shorter than my more "modern" stuff, getting about 175 or so with the driver, all carry.

Played OK, a few pars and bogeys. I whiffed my first tee shot with the Hogan driver, trying to kill the ball. After that, hit everything pretty well. A couple of my drives were downright beautiful, but shorter like I said.

Tomorrow, rain turning to possible snow on Friday. Back to Spring for Saturday and Sunday.

Next time out, going with the Karsten 2's (5,8,PW) and the Eye 3 and 5 woods.

Vintage is just more satisfying than modern stuff.

Played with some coworkers yesterday. Was able to shoot 77 in high winds and was pretty happy about it. Got some weird looks on the first tee when I pulled out a persimmon driver. But everyone was cool about it and they didn't say too much the rest of the way.

Really was a tale of 2 nines. I putted beautifully on the front just to hold things together. On the back, I was striking it really well but nothing would drop. I missed 3 birdie putts all inside 6 feet.

My short game was actually pretty good too. The old Spalding Dynamiter saved me a few shots.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

shot 76 yesterday morning from the blue tees and played the final five holes +4. Made a great birdie on 13 (5 iron to 9 feet from 195!). I decided to play a complete set of macgregor woods and irons and Tommy Armour IM putter - all circa 1950-1955 (see photos). Last month, I bought this gorgeous 1-2-3-4 set of eye-o-matic M75s and played them yesterday for the second time. Also, I bought two double duty wedges last week - M55 and a 152 that have the wide center grove to effect the bounce. So I had to play them to see how they perform on the course. They were fun to play

The 1950s persimmons have such density compared to "newer" woods. When you flush it square, the feeling is so addictive. But what was perplexing yesterday was the increased yardage I'm getting from this set of EOMs compared to other persimmons. (A solid drive goes 270-280 and I had one drive yesterday that left me 125 yards on a 420 yard hole - I'm 6' 195lbs). These hits make up for the occasional 200 yard drive I'll hit (pop up) now and then. I really like the shorter driver compared to my Great Big Bertha, it's a confidence thing of course. Another enjoyable thing is hitting a 2 wood stinger that might have a 10 yard draw and only gets about 40-50 feet off the ground. There is no substitute for being able to work the ball especially when you play a course that allows you to use the ground (rather than have to carry every shot high).

I hadn't played this set of irons in a year. The heads are so much larger than my '62 Turfriders and, after playing those the past three months, felt like I was playing a cavity back. I found myself taking at least one less club and even though these irons are 65 years old, I was hitting 8 irons from 160 and six irons from 180.

I'm not sure if you guys like knowing these yardage stats but I find it amazing that these are similar yardages to modern clubs. I find myself reverting back to playing the same game I had as a teenager and finding more comfort than trying to adjust my swing to the new technology, which tries to get me to play a game (higher, farther) that I'm less comfortable playing. Over the past few years I find my scores are not much different and I can go low or high with any clubs.

Gotta go now, Sunday at Augusta....

Macgregor Tourney Byron Nelson 1949 stainless irons
Iron master 1952 putter
Ben Hogan Speed Slot 403 woods
Macgregor M75 Driver 1952
Wilson R90 wedge
Macgregor 3852MS Double Duty wedge
Macgregor Tourney Tommy Armour 915 1 Iron

shot 76 yesterday morning from the blue tees and played the final five holes +4. Made a great birdie on 13 (5 iron to 9 feet from 195!). I decided to play a complete set of macgregor woods and irons and Tommy Armour IM putter - all circa 1950-1955 (see photos). Last month, I bought this gorgeous 1-2-3-4 set of eye-o-matic M75s and played them yesterday for the second time. Also, I bought two double duty wedges last week - M55 and a 152 that have the wide center grove to effect the bounce. So I had to play them to see how they perform on the course. They were fun to play

The 1950s persimmons have such density compared to "newer" woods. When you flush it square, the feeling is so addictive. But what was perplexing yesterday was the increased yardage I'm getting from this set of EOMs compared to other persimmons. (A solid drive goes 270-280 and I had one drive yesterday that left me 125 yards on a 420 yard hole - I'm 6' 195lbs). These hits make up for the occasional 200 yard drive I'll hit (pop up) now and then. I really like the shorter driver compared to my Great Big Bertha, it's a confidence thing of course. Another enjoyable thing is hitting a 2 wood stinger that might have a 10 yard draw and only gets about 40-50 feet off the ground. There is no substitute for being able to work the ball especially when you play a course that allows you to use the ground (rather than have to carry every shot high).

I hadn't played this set of irons in a year. The heads are so much larger than my '62 Turfriders and, after playing those the past three months, felt like I was playing a cavity back. I found myself taking at least one less club and even though these irons are 65 years old, I was hitting 8 irons from 160 and six irons from 180.

I'm not sure if you guys like knowing these yardage stats but I find it amazing that these are similar yardages to modern clubs. I find myself reverting back to playing the same game I had as a teenager and finding more comfort than trying to adjust my swing to the new technology, which tries to get me to play a game (higher, farther) that I'm less comfortable playing. Over the past few years I find my scores are not much different and I can go low or high with any clubs.

The irons are 915s

Gotta go now, Sunday at Augusta....

Macgregor Tourney Byron Nelson 1949 stainless irons
Iron master 1952 putter
Ben Hogan Speed Slot 403 woods
Macgregor M75 Driver 1952
Wilson R90 wedge
Macgregor 3852MS Double Duty wedge
Macgregor Tourney Tommy Armour 915 1 Iron

Took these Spalding Top Flite Syncrodyned Stainless, 1-SW out for a spin today. They have been reshafted with Stiff Dynamic shafts extended 1/2 inch to 38 inch 5 iron.

heavy with added length and older dynamic shafts

Nothing quite like hitting these on the sweet spot, melts in your hands

I have a 7 iron Spalding like this. I've taken it out to the range quite a few times. Hopefully one day I'll come across a full set.

I'm going out tomorrow with a mixed vintage bag. Look forward to my own "Masters" round.

Nothing much to report but I did finally get that big beautiful blond...

Ping Zing Driver working for me. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Did a quick nine today, shot 7 over, which was quite ok considering 0 fairways hit and 1 GIR (a struck 3 iron from 165mts out), and the hail-shower on 8 and 9...

I had to play a lot of 2-5 irons today, with the lousy driving (did not get along with that 693 repro) wind and cold weather, they're a lot easier to hit than I remember from growing up, although that might also have something to do with the handicap being a lot lower now a days...

Oh, and sorry about the Vokey, I promise I didn't use it :-)

DtDZahb.jpg

Did a quick nine today, shot 7 over, which was quite ok considering 0 fairways hit and 1 GIR (a struck 3 iron from 165mts out), and the hail-shower on 8 and 9...

I had to play a lot of 2-5 irons today, with the lousy driving (did not get along with that 693 repro) wind and cold weather, they're a lot easier to hit than I remember from growing up, although that might also have something to do with the handicap being a lot lower now a days...

DtDZahb.jpg

Love the REDLINES!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I got to take my MacGregor CB92's out for a round yesterday. I got a sudden case of the shanks hitting my warm up bucket, couldn't hit a short iron. Had to go and grab a second warmup bucket to try to figure out what was going on. Well I got them mostly under control and went out as a walking single.

Once out on the course, the shanks went away and I had the most fun round I've had in a long time. My iron shots were crisp and I had a smile on my face every time I pulled a club out of my bag. It was a beautiful day, 68 degrees, sun was shining. I played an older course, a 1950's muni that I play regularly. It's the kind of course I learned on. What a joy it was to play a classic set on course that isnt lined with 1990's era houses, like many of the courses here in California are.

My short game was simplified and was really on as well. Pitching Wedge, Gap Wedge, Sand Wedge, Lob Wedge? Nope. Pitching wedge and Sand Wedge, simple and effective.

Rife two bar putter packed away, my Jack Nicklaus 600 Wizard was on too. No 3 putts the entire round. The feel of a round, real leather grip cannot be duplicated.

Well, the shanks came back on the Par 4 15th and I took a 7, but my tee shot on 16, a 3 iron on the 183 yard par 3 made me completely forget about them. Flushed it and stuck it about 12 feet. Just an incredible feel that I haven't experienced with my clubs in a long time. I've hit good and even better shots with my modern irons, but they didn't feel like this.

Finished with an 84 which is a good score for me, and considering I had only played 9 holes since October was really an encouraging round.

Now my Japanese forged KZG are for sale. They are beautifully forged, great playing irons, but they just aren't me. I'm not a JDM $1000 driver buying guy. The Macs fit me and my personality. And they go along with my golfing philosophy which is on my 18 year old stand bag "Whatever Works".

IMG_1959_zpst7cducol.jpg

Well played DJ. An enjoyable round with a classic kit, perfect. Usually not big for sloganeering (typically branding) on a bag, but love the "Whatever Works" on yours . Very kool. Was it there when acquired or added after the fact?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Gypsy Golf was a local golf shop here in the Bay Area and their slogan was "Whatever Works" as they sold lots of used clubs as well as new. They have been gone at least 10 years now, probably closer to 15

I bought that bag when I moved cross country for my first job out of school and had some real money in my pocket. All the bags they had for sale had their logo on it, although I would have preferred a plain bag.

Now, I like the logo. I have guys come up to me all the time and say with a smile, "I remember Gypsy Golf". A nice conversation starter and my first real quality bag I bought for myself.

First nine of league play this morning. I'm new to this group although I know most of the guys from my time as a starter/marshall. I played with Walter who I have mentioned on here before and his runnin' buddy, Leo. Walter turned 80 last year, he still has that sweet swing, if not as long as he once was. He was instrumental in getting me to join this group and I have to thank him for putting my name forward as it's a pretty tight knit group.

Played like pooh! Parred the first hole and it was downhill from there. At least I looked good off the tee! :lol: Played the clubs in my signature. Made some nice shots, but for the most part I was horrid around the green! Easily tossed away a half dozen strokes over nine holes with stubbed chips and a couple of short putts missed. One par, two doubles and the rest bogies, so I avoided the blow-up holes which I guess is a plus.

Really enjoyed the Apex Plus. They hit good for irons that are supposed to be hard to play. Hit three 5 irons and three 9 irons. The 9 had been reshafted with TTDG and hard-stepped, but I thought it played pretty well. Lower launch than Apex 3, but it felt pretty solid none-the-less. I enjoyed the Special 51 K grind. It's should be a pretty versatile club around the green once I get it dialed in.

Supposed to play with the same group Thursday, but that will be weather dependent.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

DtDZahb.jpg

Love the REDLINES!!!

I love the Redlines also, and don't apologize for the Vokey. It is new, but they have a classic look.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

So I played in the aforementioned shamble on April 7 with my more modern stuff. I hit some good shots, as well as the others I have in my repertoire. I told one of my playing partners that I had "all" the shots in my bag, and was able to demonstrate the sweeping hook and pop-up drive on a couple of occasions !!!

However, I did have a two hole run that will keep me playing for a while. We had played a few holes and had used a few of my shots, and came to a couple of short but tricky par 4's. On the first one, I blistered a drive down the middle, hit a 9 iron to 8 inches, and made the putt. On the next one, I used my "skirt" (hit from the ladies tee), drove the green and made a curling downhill 20 footer for a 2 (using a Maxfli Tad Moore TM-3) !! Birdie-eagle on my own ball. I managed to get back on my "regular" game after this, but it was fun to be "treed" for a couple of holes.

I am looking forward to sauntering out as soon as possible with vintage gear.

DB

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Sunday and Monday, I played with my very old Walter Hagen Star Lines from the 1930's. Earlier this year, I did a quick job of refinishing the three woods. Sprayed them outside when it was still cold, but they still came out pretty decent. I never strive for perfection, for I want to play these clubs, not just look at them.

Anyhow, I played the driver and brassie, along with the 6,7,8 irons and putter. Didn't play too badly on Sunday, but Monday, just couldn't hit anything well. The 7 and 8 play like PW and SW. The 7 maxes out at around 100 yards. A fluid swing in necessary to hit those oldies, just like hickories.

On Monday, I happened to visit a thrift shop in the plaza where I buy gas. I usually stop in to see if any clubs are for sale, not a one in the store. I was passing the pants department, when I spied a yellow pair of pants, still with the tags on. From the "Men's Store" at Sears, a poly/cotton blend, tags stating Made in USA. Must have been forty years old, to have been made in USA. My size at that, for $6. I recall owning a similar pair, bought in 1973.

Had to buy them, for nostalgia. When I washed them, and tried them on, the wife said they actually look good on me. I'll get a few comments on them, coupled with a white Izod, and a white Kangol.

Perfect for the vintage golfer.

Took these Spalding Top Flite Syncrodyned Stainless, 1-SW out for a spin today. They have been reshafted with Stiff Dynamic shafts extended 1/2 inch to 38 inch 5 iron.

heavy with added length and older dynamic shafts

Nothing quite like hitting these on the sweet spot, melts in your hands

I believe those are 1953s which were some of the "holy grail" sets in our area when I was growing up. Of course the hustlers and better players played either those or 58/59 Staffs or older Macs. One guy had the Spalding Custom Department grind him a set with more modern markings for the time I think his had the 52 profile but 72 Stampings

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

DtDZahb.jpg

Love the REDLINES!!!

That Muirfield 2 iron is exactly like my set and not a 20th. I can blister mine off the tee and can still hit a Quail high stinger with it off the deck

Blade Junkie, this is correct. I just can't launch it. My 4 iron is 23*. The 2 is 18.5*.

When you get up here we can do some work on it with a softer shaft on the bottom end that will kick and throw it up in the air

Gypsy Golf was a local golf shop here in the Bay Area and their slogan was "Whatever Works" as they sold lots of used clubs as well as new. They have been gone at least 10 years now, probably closer to 15

I bought that bag when I moved cross country for my first job out of school and had some real money in my pocket. All the bags they had for sale had their logo on it, although I would have preferred a plain bag.

Now, I like the logo. I have guys come up to me all the time and say with a smile, "I remember Gypsy Golf". A nice conversation starter and my first real quality bag I bought for myself.

That looks like a well built bag judging from the hardware and the fact you have had it over 10 years

Sunday and Monday, I played with my very old Walter Hagen Star Lines from the 1930's. Earlier this year, I did a quick job of refinishing the three woods. Sprayed them outside when it was still cold, but they still came out pretty decent. I never strive for perfection, for I want to play these clubs, not just look at them.

Anyhow, I played the driver and brassie, along with the 6,7,8 irons and putter. Didn't play too badly on Sunday, but Monday, just couldn't hit anything well. The 7 and 8 play like PW and SW. The 7 maxes out at around 100 yards. A fluid swing in necessary to hit those oldies, just like hickories.

On Monday, I happened to visit a thrift shop in the plaza where I buy gas. I usually stop in to see if any clubs are for sale, not a one in the store. I was passing the pants department, when I spied a yellow pair of pants, still with the tags on. From the "Men's Store" at Sears, a poly/cotton blend, tags stating Made in USA. Must have been forty years old, to have been made in USA. My size at that, for $6. I recall owning a similar pair, bought in 1973.

Had to buy them, for nostalgia. When I washed them, and tried them on, the wife said they actually look good on me. I'll get a few comments on them, coupled with a white Izod, and a white Kangol.

feel like I need to see pictures of this outfit wriggles. Lol. Sounds like a comfy pair.

Blade Junkie, this is correct. I just can't launch it. My 4 iron is 23*. The 2 is 18.5*.

When you get up here we can do some work on it with a softer shaft on the bottom end that will kick and throw it up in the air

Haven't messed with it again. But I bought a roll of lead tape to see if I can improve feel at the top of the backswing.

feel like I need to see pictures of this outfit wriggles. Lol. Sounds like a comfy pair.

Not me. I've got a great mental image of Wriggles rockin' the yellow trousers, white Izod and white Kangol! :pimp:

[Added] Last time I went to VV they had zip in clubs , but quite a healthy collection of clothes. I'll have to check that part out a little closer next time for some suitable vintage threads! ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Haven't messed with it again. But I bought a roll of lead tape to see if I can improve feel at the top of the backswing.

Weight will make it kick some at the bottom that is for certain but if you get a softer tipped shaft then it will really kick. LOL I have some of these older guys around here hitting 4 and 5 irons again. Now true they may be shovels with lead tape and soft tipped shafts but they do hit them. I hit a 4 iron I fixed the other day for a guy and he hits it fine but I hit it about as high as I do a 60* SW. I am a big proponent of soft tipping and weight in the right places to gain height

That looks like a well built bag judging from the hardware and the fact you have had it over 10 years

It's unbelievable quality. I ordered a new Sun Mountain bag and when it arrived I was shocked how thin the nylon was and how small the zipper were. It seems like a nice bag but nowhere near the build quality of my circa 1999 bag.

Our club Winter League series this year comprised 6 Stableford events, after which the Top 16 (points for places system) qualified for a fourball better ball matchplay 'Finals' knockout ... quarter-final, semi-final and final ... #1 and #16 vs #8 and #9, and so on.

My partner and I won our QF last week, so were playing 36 holes yesterday (Sunday) for the Semis and the Final/3rd/4th play off, White tees (off the the plates, 6650 yards par 72).

I played Titleist 983E driver, persimmon fairways (Wood Bros Texan 3-wood, Paul Gibson 6-wood), and Ben Sayers Mentor 2-SW, with the Ram Zebra Z7 putter that has been a bag fixture for the last year or so. Not having played the Mentors for several months, on a whim I stuck them in the bag for the Medal on Saturday and did OK with them (24th out of 85) hitting the irons solidly enough but let down bizarrely by the Zebra, with 5 3-putts in the first 10 holes having me at +13 after 12 holes, at which point I started putting averagely instead of badly and covered the last 6 holes in 1-under for an 84. Some good ball striking on those last 6 holes meant I had birdie chances <15 feet on all six of those holes. The shot that brought the biggest smile was a 230 yard fairway shot with the Texan that I threaded through two bunkers left and right guarding the green to set up a 10 foot birdie chance on par-5 #14, having originally driven into the face of a fairway bunker and splashed out 30 yards max to leave the long approach! Missed that putt of course - actually left it 3 feet short :)

So having finished on a high with that run of 5 pars and birdie, I thought I'd keep them in the bag for the Sunday 36 holes, and in our SF we prevailed 1-up and again ball-striking was good and one memorable tee shot on 190 yard par-3 was a 2-iron to 6 feet that covered the pin all the way, and that I didn't actually even get to putt as my partner knocked in his 12-foot birdie putt to win the hole!

The afternoon Final round was 18 holes too far (actually 14 holes LOL), with the 2-iron tee shot on the same hole as earlier this time shanked deep into some bushes, and some overall hard grinding failing to offset a marked deterioration in the level of play, and tired mental errors in course management etc, so we got thrashed 6&4 :)

Hips, knees and back this morning are telling me I overdid it ... probably should have used a a trolley rather than carrying, but what the hell ... certainly makes you appreciate the fitness levels of the pros, especially in the old days when The Open was 36 holes on day 1 and 36 on day 2 ...

Overall for the weekend, my golf was the reverse of what it has been for several months ... instead of missing fairways and greens and having a great short game and putting, I hit tons of fairways and greens and my short game was absolute garbage. Scored more or less the same as usual of course. Golf eh !!!!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I had a tough day today in league play. I suppose I shouldn't expect much only having 9 holes in the book and no range time either.

I had my primary vintage set-up consisting of the Callaway BB War bird woods and BeCu Eye 2 clones. I started out OK, much the same as last week, but began the comedy of errors on the fourth hole. It seemed that I was destined to take the scenic route from that point on, chipping across the green on three of the last four holes. It wasn't pretty!

I suppose that the silver lining is that I was adding to my handicap when it can do some good, early in the season! Our weekly Nassau winner had net 31 with no one else even remotely close. Conditions were trying as it was cold, windy and darned wet with a fair bit of casual water. My score actually benefited from lift, clean and place, otherwise it most likely could have been even worse!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I had a tough day today in league play. I suppose I shouldn't expect much only having 9 holes in the book and no range time either.

I had my primary vintage set-up consisting of the Callaway BB War bird woods and BeCu Eye 2 clones. I started out OK, much the same as last week, but began the comedy of errors on the fourth hole. It seemed that I was destined to take the scenic route from that point on, chipping across the green on three of the last four holes. It wasn't pretty!

I suppose that the silver lining is that I was adding to my handicap when it can do some good, early in the season! Our weekly Nassau winner had net 31 with no one else even remotely close. Conditions were trying as it was cold, windy and darned wet with a fair bit of casual water. My score actually benefited from lift, clean and place, otherwise it most likely could have been even worse!

It was too wet to play here today. The rest of the week doesn't look good either. However, I think my next go round will be some warbird woods and some ping zing 2 clones. Those old pings and fellow copies seem to be good in wet conditions.