Ecco Biom Hydromax offer/order from Golfsmith cancelled

bluedot

Last week Golfsmith offered the Ecco Biom Hydromax on their website for under $100; the offer even included a picture, so there was no mistaking the shoe for the Biom Hybrid. While I thought the price was too good to be true, I ordered; the offer was to expire on 8/14.

I immediately got an email confirming the order, complete with order number and shipping date. Couldn't have been more pleased to get another pair of these great shoes at that price.

Yesterday (8/21) I got an email from Golfsmith saying that the order would not be filled, and offering me a 10% discount and free shipping. While that would normally be a good offer, it paled in comparsion to the original offer.

I called customer service and spent over 30 minutes getting every (false) runaround imaginable until finally the customer service rep admitted that they had advertised a price for the Biom Hybrid, but named and pictured the Biom Hydromax instead. The rep then said that they had a disclaimer on the website (in VERY fine print!) that states that they don't have to sell at an advertised price if that price proves to be in error. I communicated to them that I had never had a retailer refuse to make good on an advertised price, much less on a confirmed sale, and that I considered this to be unacceptable. Golfsmith's reply was basically to wish me luck in the future, but no shoes.

Anybody else miss out on the Biom Hydromaxes this way?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This same thing happened to me (and quite a few other people) a couple years back. Amazon mistakenly listed a brand new set of Taylormade irons (don't recall which model) for $99. I jumped on it and within 30 min Amazon pulled the ad. By then I had already received an order confirmation and even a shipping confirmation. In the end, everyone received emails saying a pricing mistake was made and the order was considered invalid due to a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. At least GS gave you a discount on your next order + free shipping.

Lots of people were pissed that Amazon wasn't honoring their ad...but what are you gonna do? Try to prove that it's a bidding contract and turn a pair of normally priced $230 shoes into a pair of $x,xxx shoes?

Look at it this way...you saved $23 with the 10% off.

I had the same exact thing happened to me! Even worse, I used a gift card and I had to ask them to credit me the money back.

My email also said it was unacceptable and that their excuse that the manufacturer no longer made the product was LAME. I included the ECCO website address where I could the me color and size. I also said I was going to report them to the BBB.

I got some email back said that just said sorry.

Do we have any recourse?

No. You don't.

E-Commerce would be dead if people could simply hack sites, change prices and call the ensuing orders "binding contracts." While I'm sure this was more of a goof than an outside influence, they need that protection nonetheless. 10% discount and free shipping is your recourse, and it was supplied at their discretion, so you should be thankful.

[quote name='JoeSchu' timestamp='1377257018' post='7730432']
No. You don't.

E-Commerce would be dead if people could simply hack sites, change prices and call the ensuing orders "binding contracts." While I'm sure this was more of a goof than an outside influence, they need that protection nonetheless. 10% discount and free shipping is your recourse, and it was supplied at their discretion, so you should be thankful.
[/quote]

Being "thankful" to Golfsmith might be a little past my level of understanding. The 10% and shipping offer is only worth $30, and for that money I'll buy locally

I take your point about hacking problems in E-commerce, but I don't think it is relevant here. Golfsmith not only posted the offer with a picture of the shoe, but they also sent me an email confirmation of the order, complete with an order number and shipping information. A week passed before they reneged.

But my biggest issue with them isn't the shoe or the price. It was the out-and-out dishonesty by Customer Service, insisting to me that the shoe was no longer available from Ecco. If they had said out of the gate that they had screwed up, I would have been disappointed but wouldn't have minded. But I kind of hate it when somebody pees on my head and tells me it's raining...

I knew there wouldn't be any recourse beyond Golfsmith standing behind their offer. But I expected them to do that much; I've never encountered a retailer, E or brick and mortar, that didn't. They'll get no more of my business, in person or online.

E-Commerce would be dead if people could simply hack sites, change prices and call the ensuing orders "binding contracts."
[/quote]

If people could simply hack sites and change prices, lower prices would be the least of Golfsmith's worries. Hackers are more into flat out stealing than lowering profit margin.

If I were Golfsmith, I would have honored the deal and let go of the person who made the mistake. That problem becomes less likely to happen again and you keep happy customers. Best of both worlds.

Bluedot:

I called to confirm the order right after I placed it, and the rep told me they were discontinuing the model and that's why the price was so good. The shoe is still listed at full price on Ecco's website though...

Also, just got off the phone with Golfsmith Customer Service and simply asked for a status update on the order (I ordered them 8/14). They apologized for the delay, and said sometimes there is a disconnect when orders are shipped directly from the manufacturer. The rep asked me to hold while he called Ecco himself. Upon his return, the rep advised that when I called (Golfsmith) to change the shoe size of my original order, that change never made it to Ecco.

He apologized again, and said they had their "special orders team" redo the order with the correct size and it would be shipped on Monday and should receive them no later than Wednesday. Made no mention of not being able to honor the order at all. I'd get back on the phone with GS, ASAP.

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1377261389' post='7730670']
No. You don't.

[/quote]

Being "thankful" to Golfsmith might be a little past my level of understanding. The 10% and shipping offer is only worth $30, and for that money I'll buy locally

I take your point about hacking problems in E-commerce, but I don't think it is relevant here. Golfsmith not only posted the offer with a picture of the shoe, but they also sent me an email confirmation of the order, complete with an order number and shipping information. A week passed before they reneged.

But my biggest issue with them isn't the shoe or the price. It was the out-and-out dishonesty by Customer Service, insisting to me that the shoe was no longer available from Ecco. If they had said out of the gate that they had screwed up, I would have been disappointed but wouldn't have minded. But I kind of hate it when somebody pees on my head and tells me it's raining...

I knew there wouldn't be any recourse beyond Golfsmith standing behind their offer. But I expected them to do that much; I've never encountered a retailer, E or brick and mortar, that didn't. They'll get no more of my business, in person or online.
[/quote]
By "thankful," I meant they didn't really have to offer you anything. Whether or not what they offered is worth anything tangible to you is a whole other story. Poor choice of words on my part.

I agree that the CSR was awful. Lying about it, versus simply admitting it was a mistake, is the worst part of your story. In my mind, it certainly justifies you taking your business elsewhere.

Again, the hacking thing is unlikely, but necessary protection. Retailers are allowed to make mistakes. It is up to them how they handle them. In this case, they didn't treat bluedot in a manner that earns his future business.

[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1377265589' post='7731046']
Bluedot:

I called to confirm the order right after I placed it, and the rep told me they were discontinuing the model and that's why the price was so good. The shoe is still listed at full price on Ecco's website though...

Also, just got off the phone with Golfsmith Customer Service and simply asked for a status update on the order (I ordered them 8/14). They apologized for the delay, and said sometimes there is a disconnect when orders are shipped directly from the manufacturer. The rep asked me to hold while he called Ecco himself. Upon his return, the rep advised that when I called (Golfsmith) to change the shoe size of my original order, that change never made it to Ecco.

He apologized again, and said they had their "special orders team" redo the order with the correct size and it would be shipped on Monday and should receive them no later than Wednesday. Made no mention of not being able to honor the order at all. I'd get back on the phone with GS, ASAP.
[/quote]

I'll be really interested to hear what shoe you receive. Golfsmith's final version to me was that the item number was for the Biom Hybrid rather than the Hydromax they pictured, named and described and confirmed, and that they would sell me the Hybrid (which I absolutely do NOT want!) at the advertised price as per the item number.

If you get the Hydromax, I'll go Wyatt Earp!

Mistakes are understandable, I just wish they would own up to it.

It didn't help that I had to ask for my gift card money back. The original email said they didn't charge my card. I was like thanks for not charge me the $3 but where's my $100.

For such a large corporation, they should just suck up the mistake and fulfill the orders. They are losing customers and future revenue.

The 10% discount is also bogus. It's the usually there are "manufacturers restrictions" and such. Worthless.

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1377268736' post='7731342']
Bluedot:

[/quote]

I'll be really interested to hear what shoe you receive. Golfsmith's final version to me was that the item number was for the Biom Hybrid rather than the Hydromax they pictured, named and described and confirmed, and that they would sell me the Hybrid (which I absolutely do NOT want!) at the advertised price as per the item number.

[/quote]

PM me if you can still get the hybrids... Ive been looking for a deal and missed out on this pricing. Will throw a few bucks your way for your efforts.

Bluedot:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll keep you posted. As good of a deal 93 bucks is for the hybrids, I still want the hydromax too.

Not sure I get the item number argument either....they are completely different!!

[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1377270707' post='7731554']
Bluedot:

[/quote]

[/quote]

PM me if you can still get the hybrids... Ive been looking for a deal and missed out on this pricing. Will throw a few bucks your way for your efforts.
[/quote]

Tempting, but I'm going to say no. I don't want to patronize Golfsmith any more UNLESS they are going to honor our deal. If I use the 10% offer, it kills any possibility of finding a way to do that, plus it ends up rewarding them for dishonesty, which is my biggest concern. I've passed the point of this being about money anyway.

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1377357849' post='7736961']
So let me get this straight. You want to take advantage of an honest error by some low level data entry guy and demand that GS take a loss because of that error, thatbwould likely cost that low level guy his job? Sounds like a great decision.
[/quote]

Hey, nice post!

I don't know who made the error and at what level of the organization, and neither do you, btw, so no need to insult me by questioning my motives or decisions. And you missed the point anyway.

What I DO know is that I got an order confirmation and then a week later got a cancellation. When I called Customer Service (and THIS is the real issue, IMO!) I got a series of out-and-out falsehoods as explanations, which is the same thing that others experienced.

I'll let you read back through the thread to see what those falsehoods were, but if the rep had said from the outset, "Hey, we screwed up and we're really, really sorry" I would have been disappointed but quickly moved on; I think I would have taken advantage of the 10% & free shipping offer as well. But that is NOT what Golfsmith did, and that Golfsmith as a corporation chooses to do business in a less than honest manner is THEIR decision. Not to do any further business with them is MY decision.

I'm not sure why that bothers you, but I can't help that, either.

Not looking to get into a pissing match, but i did not miss the point. Obviously, the confirmation email you got was sent, perhaps automatically, before they realized the error. And yes, people who posts prices on web sites are low level workers. What i don't get it why you expect Golfsmith to pay for an honest mistake. It is quite possible the CSR thought he was giving good information because the shoes are on closeout. You assumption they are lying is not necessarily accurate.

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1377388473' post='7738681']
Not looking to get into a pissing match, but i did not miss the point. Obviously, the confirmation email you got was sent, perhaps automatically, before they realized the error. And yes, people who posts prices on web sites are low level workers. What i don't get it why you expect Golfsmith to pay for an honest mistake. It is quite possible the CSR thought he was giving good information because the shoes are on closeout. You assumption they are lying is not necessarily accurate.
[/quote]

OK, I'll try one more time. In my last post, I said that if Golfsmith had just said they had screwed up from the beginning, I'd have been disappointed but moved on. But the shoes are NOT on close out; not in Ecco stores, not on the Ecco website, not on the Golfsmith website. Here is a cut-and-paste from the email they sent me to cancel the order:

"Regrettably, we have just been notified that the following product or products are no longer available from the manufacturer." (Their words!)

The customer service rep with whom I spoke insisted repeatedly that this was the case at first, and then admitted that this wasn't true after I put the shoe in my online shopping cart on the Ecco website as we spoke, AND added it to my online cart on the Golfsmith website at the same time. It was only at that point, nearly 20 minutes later, that they said that they had screwed up and put the name, picture, and description of the Biom Hydromax with the item number (theirs, not Ecco's) for the Biom Hybrid.

So somebody at Golfsmith is playing fast and loose with the truth, and I recognize that it is their right to run their business this or any other way they see fit. It is also my right to be critical of such practices and not to patronize them anymore. There are lots of options for places to buy golf equipment.

[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1377403340' post='7739661']
Ok, but that wasn't the message in your OP.
[/quote]

In the OP I (1) explained the sequence of what happened, (2) said that the CSR had first given me false information and then admitted what actually happened, (3) said that I had never had a retailer fail to honor an advertised price (much less a confirmed order) and (4) wondered if anybody else had the same experience.

[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1377733352' post='7762237']
Received the shoes today and it was exactly what I ordered.
[/quote]

Good... you must have handled yourself in a more professional manner than bluedot. It's funny how when dealing with CSR's, YOUR attitude influences the outcome more often than not. Calling them up and ranting and raving about how pi$$ poor they are , calling them liars, etc., gets you absolutely nowhere. That type of behavior typically gets you nothing. Understanding, calmness and being nice, while still making your point, often gets results. Ranting and raving, typically gets you a dial tone.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

I learned once that sometimes with CSR's it pays to just hang up and call back, and get a different one.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1377818732' post='7768297']
I learned once that sometimes with CSR's it pays to just hang up and call back, and get a different one.
[/quote]
That's exactly what I do. Every 12 months my cable company tries to raise my rate after my current deal expires. I always call and tell them I'm planning to switch service providers because the rate is too high. Whenever I call--it never fails--the first rep always tells me that there is nothing they can do and they are sorry. I just hang up the phone, call back, and then the next person makes the adjustment so I get to keep the same rate. If that doesn't work, I ask for their manager. If that doesn't work I ask for the managers boss, and so on.

Whats in my B.A.G?
WITB Link

Remember 2-3 years ago, Apple had a wrong price on their website for Mac something is a super low price, and within a couple minutes, a Taiwan college kid notice it, and there were 50-70 college kid from same school order it online, and at the end Apple honored their price. That was a couple of hundred or maybe a thousand each! Now we are talking about 80 bucks?