2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Updates on TaylorMade's TP Line Irons/Woods Revival? (merged)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ztsquared33' timestamp='1380202892' post='7913519']
[attachment=1890583:securedownload.jpg]

Via Justin Rose's Twitter Account
[/quote]

fairway or a very tiny driver

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1380164778' post='7912177']
[quote name='MyPGAQuest' timestamp='1380163101' post='7912027']
Yes, bring back the TP's. Yes the smoke irons did look great. Smaller driver heads, definitely. Bring back the good player stuff please. I'm sure the Tour players would like that as well.
[/quote]
Could this be the release that will knock the RACs out of Kaymer's bag?

Slight off topic, but related- it was mentioned in here that no SpeedBlade tour irons. After looking at the pics of the new Adams idea line, makes me think we may not see an SGI "SpeedBlade Max" set either...could be wrong.

So do we know if the new players irons are just MB? Or will we see a. MC and/or a CB version? My guess is if no CB, then we will see. SpeedBlade tour...looks to be a great year for the folks at Visa/MasterCard
[/quote]

Correct. No SPeedBlade Max.

Makes me think TM may be pushing their name/focus toward the "players clubs", but still keeping a GI model in for continuity, while the Adams brand is going to be more focused on the GI/SGI offerings, but with one players club line for continuity (and staffers).
I would hope with as much buzz as this want for the TP logo creates, something is offered

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Rustynuts' timestamp='1380225903' post='7915613']
What does the TP badge mean really? Do we all want to pretend the it means it's being played on tour? Does it boost our ego?
[/quote]

I dont think it means neither of that . The TP badge is TM's history of Player's Clubs. For those who prefer a thinner topline, sole, with a little more workability and dont need or want something as forgiving. In the case of irons, something that has a higher COG and doesnt need help getting in the air. Sure there are players that can use the TP type of club, and there are those who shouldnt be using it. Is it a boost of ego for some? Possibly. But I think for most on this site, everyone knows what the TP badge/line is about and that is the type of club they prefer to play. They like the look, the feel, and in turn gives them confidence.

Titleist TSR2 8*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1380226386' post='7915655']
What does the TP badge mean really? Do we all want to pretend the it means it's being played on tour? Does it boost our ego?
[/quote]

I dont think it means neither of that . The TP badge is TM's history of Player's Clubs. For those who prefer a thinner topline, sole, with a little more workability and dont need or want something as forgiving. In the case of irons, something that has a higher COG and doesnt need help getting in the air. Sure there are players that can use the TP type of club, and there are those who shouldnt be using it. Is it a boost of ego for some? Possibly. But I think for most on this site, everyone knows what the TP badge/line is about and that is the type of club they prefer to play. They like the look, the feel, and in turn gives them confidence.
[/quote]

Again does it really matter if it has the badge or not? I brought this up earlier and was on the verge of getting flamed. You can have all of these traits in an iron without the badge and people will still love it just like the last forged offerings. Just give me shaft upgrade options and I'm happy. The new line will have the badge on it but I really don't think it's necessary. Just like when the first pics of the sldr fairway emerged there were comments "But where's the TP logo?" Who really cares because it will be a rock solid product and it won't need the badge to sell.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='phelps22' timestamp='1380227281' post='7915743']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again does it really matter if it has the badge or not? I brought this up earlier and was on the verge of getting flamed. [b]You can have all of these traits in an iron without the badge and people will still love it just like the last forged offerings. Just give me shaft upgrade options and I'm happy.[/b] The new line will have the badge on it but I really don't think it's necessary. Just like when the first pics of the sldr fairway emerged there were comments "But where's the TP logo?" Who really cares because it will be a rock solid product and it won't need the badge solid.
[/quote]

I agree with you. To me personally, while I do like the badge, I can live with it not being on the club. Like you said, I can be happy as long as it has the characteristics of a player's club. I guess some like the badge and for it to keep the TP tradition, it needs to be there. Just my .02 cents.

Titleist TSR2 8*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='Rustynuts' timestamp='1380228359' post='7915839']
It's more the fraud of the TP badge, have this site wants a TP badge on a club that as is as usual nothing like the Tour clubs used on tour.
[/quote]

The badge is just that, the badge, the logo, the identity of the club. If BMW came out with a sports car without the
BMW logo would people still like it? Yeah sure, it's still a Beemer, but the logo makes the car known to people.

The badge makes the club known that it's a high quality players iron for the high end players.

It's just something we want, and one of the great logos in golf.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

I swing pretty fast and and am a solid player, what I always needed was a heavier shaft in irons and driver and fairway woods without having to reshaft a new purchase before I played it. Back then I still was in the 'Stiff flex' range the that TP badge told me that those clubs would pretty much fit me off the shelf. First one bought was the R510TP with the Speeder 757...then Burner TP Fw's ...etc...when I saw the logo, I knew I PROBABLY didn't need to reshaft the club, or worry about offset--I tend to pull the ball a touch, don't need it drawing on me also--and the best thing, the badge meant the shafts were the real deal...no questions.

Have owned alot of TP items in the past and all have been very solid...I for one thought that badge was too cool...it was good looking, not 'overdone' by anymeans...but it let you know what you were buying.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='phelps22' timestamp='1380227281' post='7915743']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again does it really matter if it has the badge or not? I brought this up earlier and was on the verge of getting flamed. You can have all of these traits in an iron without the badge and people will still love it just like the last forged offerings. Just give me shaft upgrade options and I'm happy. The new line will have the badge on it but I really don't think it's necessary. Just like when the first pics of the sldr fairway emerged there were comments "But where's the TP logo?" Who really cares because it will be a rock solid product and it won't need the badge to sell.
[/quote]

It doesn't appear to matter to you. However, I love the TP logo and hope they bring it back. Will it make the difference in buying a club or not for me? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean I don't want the badge back.

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1380229778' post='7915973']
I swing pretty fast and and am a solid player, what I always needed was a heavier shaft in irons and driver and fairway woods without having to reshaft a new purchase before I played it. Back then I still was in the 'Stiff flex' range the that TP badge told me that those clubs would pretty much fit me off the shelf. First one bought was the R510TP with the Speeder 757...then Burner TP Fw's ...etc...when I saw the logo, I knew I PROBABLY didn't need to reshaft the club, or worry about offset--I tend to pull the ball a touch, don't need it drawing on me also--and the best thing, the badge meant the shafts were the real deal...no questions.

Have owned alot of TP items in the past and all have been very solid...I for one thought that badge was too cool...it was good looking, not 'overdone' by anymeans...but it let you know what you were buying.
[/quote]

That's exactly what they are doing now with their products just without the tp badge on them. Most shafts they offer don't have the TM paint scheme on them but some do like the R1 Fuel 70 shaft. The SLDR TP fairways will have the Motore Speeder Tour Spec 8.3 shaft in it and they will offer all the other upgrade and non upgrade shafts that they offer including the Aldila Tour Blue and Green. All you have to do is go to your local shop get fit for the shaft and head combo that gives you the best numbers and that should give you more confidence in a product than any badge can carry.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='phelps22' timestamp='1380240432' post='7916801']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1380229778' post='7915973']

[/quote]

That's exactly what they are doing now with their products just without the tp badge on them. Most shafts they offer don't have the TM paint scheme on them but some do like the R1 Fuel 70 shaft. The SLDR TP fairways will have the Motore Speeder Tour Spec 8.3 shaft in it and they will offer all the other upgrade and non upgrade shafts that they offer including the Aldila Tour Blue and Green. All you have to do is go to your local shop get fit for the shaft and head combo that gives you the best numbers and that should give you more confidence in a product than any badge can carry.
[/quote]

....but we want the badge

Taylormade Spider Ghost

I believe the TP crest originated with the R510TP. The Tour Preferred name has a much longer history and isn't nearly as revered as the crest. This is shown by the recent TP offerings that have no crest on them.

When you have something that has become iconic, you market the feces out of it. It's a much better thing to work with than hashtags and douchey one liners like -ier.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1380244338' post='7917111']
I believe the TP crest originated with the R510TP. The Tour Preferred name has a much longer history and isn't nearly as revered as the crest. This is shown by the recent TP offerings that have no crest on them.

When you have something that has become iconic, you market the feces out of it. It's a much better thing to work with than hashtags and douchey one liners like -ier.
[/quote]
Analogy: McDonalds restaurants name preceded the "Golden Arches", and they have had many slogans, trademarks, campaigns and what have you, but if they took away the "Golden Arches", everyone would be lobbying for them to bring back the arches. Would it make the food any different without the arches? No. But it hit would not be the same.

Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1380247198' post='7917347']

[/quote]
Analogy: McDonalds restaurants name preceded the "Golden Arches", and they have had many slogans, trademarks, campaigns and what have you, but if they took away the "Golden Arches", everyone would be lobbying for them to bring back the arches. Would it make the food any different without the arches? No. But it hit would not be the same.
[/quote]

You don't need Golden Arches. You only need Golden Arcs. John Amos proved this in Coming To America.

Better analogy: Focus on core items that have recognizable value. The Big Mac. Ronald McDonald. Billions Served. And fire the marketing guy that came up with "Dah dah, dah, dah duh." Because I'm not loving it.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1380248310' post='7917431']

[/quote]
[/quote]

You don't need Golden Arches. You only need Golden Arcs. John Amos proved this in Coming To America.

Better analogy: Focus on core items that have recognizable value. The Big Mac. Ronald McDonald. Billions Served. And fire the marketing guy that came up with "Dah dah, dah, dah duh." Because I'm not loving it.
[/quote]

They fired the marketing firm in charge of their commercials this year

Tm that is

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1380249125' post='7917495']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tm that is
[/quote]

Did they fire the moron that thought hashtags were a good idea? Did they fire the -ier guy too?

Let's hope so.

For the last two years or so many of us have vocalized how laughable the face paint, hashtags, ier and bucket hats at Pebble were. We got called "haters", now even the loyalist of TMAG fans have seen the light and begun to agree with us, I am excited for the future, this gives me hope.

I do have one concern though, we were pressing 1 for English since day one. Why did it take this long for you to agree with us?

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1380249669' post='7917537']
Did they fire the moron that thought hashtags were a good idea? Did they fire the -ier guy too?

Let's hope so.
[/quote]

Not so fast! The face paint and the infamous #IER campaign caught more than a few of us on here hook, line, and sinker!!! :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1380249669' post='7917537']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1380249125' post='7917495']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tm that is
[/quote]

Let's hope so.
[/quote]
I thought the -ier guy was on here posting on every thread that even mentioned TM

Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1380250353' post='7917591']
For the last two years or so many of us have vocalized how laughable the face paint, hashtags, ier and bucket hats at Pebble were. We got called "haters", now even the loyalist of TMAG fans have seen the light and begun to agree with us, I am excited for the future, this gives me hope.

I do have one concern though, we were pressing 1 for English since day one. Why did it take this long for you to agree with us?
[/quote]
Most of us just ignored the marketing stuff and judged the product for what it is, not the ad campaign around it.

Or back to mcDonalds, we may hate the duh duh duh duh duh crap, but that has not stopped any of us from fu@king up a few McRibs when in season!

Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1380256675' post='7917975']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1380250353' post='7917591']

[/quote]
Most of us just ignored the marketing stuff and judged the product for what it is, not the ad campaign around it.

Or back to mcDonalds, we may hate the duh duh duh duh duh crap, but that has not stopped any of us from fu@king up a few McRibs when in season!
[/quote]

We will have to agree to disagree on the quality of equipment that TMAG has released of late. Literally nothing from 2012 even had a shot at gaining a spot in my bag and I hit everything with an unbiased outlook. The SLDR was a step in the right direction, the new TP irons are another step, let's just hope that they learned from their recent mishaps, and will continue the upward trend.