Random conversation thread

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1447342437' post='12589016']
Actually Fella, we have had a few argumentative sorts wander in here attempting to stir the pot.

However, when we meet them with kindness, and welcome them to our little safe haven, they usually wander off elsewhere to the place where their keyboard warrior skills get them a reaction.

Even when we infrequently talk politics (like earlier in this thread) there is a general respect for the opinions of others. We're all mature enough to understand that we may not agree on everything, but we do respect the intelligent and well-thought out opinions others share. You know, the intelligent discourse that seems to be disappearing from society on an almost daily basis (15 minutes of CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News will attest to this).

Of course, classics themselves are resistant to the sort of quantification the other folks ascribe to golf clubs. We rarely talk about trackman, smash factor, launch monitors, etc here, other than a reference such as "I was in a launch monitor, and saw my driver swing speed has dropped from 95 to 85 because the arthritis in my back acts up when I swing too hard".

Instead, we talk about feel, aesthetics, tradition, and memory, while also enjoying a brisk trade in nostalgia. Like faith, these are individual experiences, and cannot be measured, compared, or argued about.

We also understand golf is less a competition, and more a sport through which one comes to understand themselves. This is reflected in our shared enjoyment when one does well with a new club, swing change, or golf ball. We are not jealous that others are doing well. We instead share their joy, as we know that our WRX friends have managed to find that little slice of happiness we all seek when we go golfing. As much as anything, golf is a game of hope, and we are happy to see other realize their hopes.

Not much to be histrionic about here. And I for one am glad you found us, Fella. Nothing (and I mean nothing) over the past three years has made me as enthusiastic about golf as my friends in this forum.
Speaking from experience, if one wanders in here, and one belongs here, then one stays here, and you certainly are one of us.
[/quote]

Well said. I have tried to say something similar in other threads...that we all have something in common...we love the game of golf and everything about it. Yet, some would rather get hysterical over someone using head covers on their irons, having their name on their golf bag, playing MB's, SGI's, and all other manner of nonsense.

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1447342437' post='12589016']
Actually Fella, we have had a few argumentative sorts wander in here attempting to stir the pot.

However, when we meet them with kindness, and welcome them to our little safe haven, they usually wander off elsewhere to the place where their keyboard warrior skills get them a reaction.

Even when we infrequently talk politics (like earlier in this thread) there is a general respect for the opinions of others. We're all mature enough to understand that we may not agree on everything, but we do respect the intelligent and well-thought out opinions others share. You know, the intelligent discourse that seems to be disappearing from society on an almost daily basis (15 minutes of CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News will attest to this).

Of course, classics themselves are resistant to the sort of quantification the other folks ascribe to golf clubs. We rarely talk about trackman, smash factor, launch monitors, etc here, other than a reference such as "I was in a launch monitor, and saw my driver swing speed has dropped from 95 to 85 because the arthritis in my back acts up when I swing too hard".

Instead, we talk about feel, aesthetics, tradition, and memory, while also enjoying a brisk trade in nostalgia. Like faith, these are individual experiences, and cannot be measured, compared, or argued about.

We also understand golf is less a competition, and more a sport through which one comes to understand themselves. This is reflected in our shared enjoyment when one does well with a new club, swing change, or golf ball. We are not jealous that others are doing well. We instead share their joy, as we know that our WRX friends have managed to find that little slice of happiness we all seek when we go golfing. As much as anything, golf is a game of hope, and we are happy to see other realize their hopes.

Not much to be histrionic about here. And I for one am glad you found us, Fella. Nothing (and I mean nothing) over the past three years has made me as enthusiastic about golf as my friends in this forum.
Speaking from experience, if one wanders in here, and one belongs here, then one stays here, and you certainly are one of us.
[/quote]And the bag tag hangs in it's prominent place in my shop--- You know what I am talking about

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1447713327' post='12607150']
Standing in line for security check in New Orleans ...rudest people in line ever....my rant for the day.
[/quote]

The lack of manners and decorum in today's society is nauseating.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Thanks Randy. Have to be truthful and admit that I didn't see that one coming. Oh ye' of little faith. Was hopeful, but also realistic. Makes it all the more delicious. But my Spartans still have unfinished business ahead of them. Need to stay focused on the immediate task at hand, which is to prepare for PSU next Saturday in EL. Would be a shame to come this far and not cross the finish line.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1447771356' post='12609854']
[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1447713327' post='12607150']
Standing in line for security check in New Orleans ...rudest people in line ever....my rant for the day.
[/quote]

The lack of manners and decorum in today's society is nauseating.
[/quote]

One of my favorites on YouTube. Great golf (and cool backswing), plus great commentary on the 'youth of today'.
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttbtRNNQufY[/media]

So in 89 I went back east to surprise my mom for her 50th birthday. I spent a few days in the DC area with my brother who at the time was working at a CC in the Silver Spring area. One of the days i was there was the employee day dinner and 9 hole round. I didn't have any sticks so my brother and I go into the pro-shop to see if there were some sticks i could use. The pro disappears for several minutes and comes back with a set. My brother get's quit animated asking if that is a member's set and wanted to make sure the owner of the clubs wouldn't be in to use them. The pro cracks a funny grin and says " Relax Dan the member who owns them has been dead for 6 years and he won't be needing them this afternoon"
It was a fun round and that round got me playing quit a bit for the next few years.
Just thought I would share this. Happy Thanksgiving!
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

You know, I bet stories like that happen more often than you think. A fellow I played with quite a few times this year acquired his driver in much the same way. He got it (original Ping Rapture w/Aldila NVS) via a neighbour who worked at another club. A member died and no one claimed the clubs despite repeated efforts by the club. The club then sold them at their annual swap with the proceeds going towards their junior golf program. My friend ends up with a really nice titanium driver for $20 and the satisfaction that his money supported a good cause.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1448310945' post='12636464']
As befitting the Classic Golf and Golfers, a hearty shout out to 56 year old Peter Senior for winning the Australian Masters this weekend, beating all the flat bellies.
[/quote]That darn sure sparked a fire in me because I am only 58. I had gotten sorta depressed lately about getting older and had gotten off my game plan on diet and exercise. I had gained back about 5 pounds. I have been letting my hair grow back some and have noticed some gray in fact getting some salt and pepper. But I dealt with it back on my plan. My wife said it was male menopause that I was going into it suddenly. She told me well it can be drastic for you because you have gone from being the world's oldest biggest kid to a mid life crisis and that is a huge bridge. She is fond of telling folks i was no where near my 2nd childhood because I had never gotten out of my first one yet.

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1448431484' post='12643948']
So in 89 I went back east to surprise my mom for her 50th birthday. I spent a few days in the DC area with my brother who at the time was working at a CC in the Silver Spring area. One of the days i was there was the employee day dinner and 9 hole round. I didn't have any sticks so my brother and I go into the pro-shop to see if there were some sticks i could use. The pro disappears for several minutes and comes back with a set. My brother get's quit animated asking if that is a member's set and wanted to make sure the owner of the clubs wouldn't be in to use them. The pro cracks a funny grin and says " Relax Dan the member who owns them has been dead for 6 years and he won't be needing them this afternoon"
It was a fun round and that round got me playing quit a bit for the next few years.
Just thought I would share this. Happy Thanksgiving!
[/quote]That is a great story. I would like to think that after I am gone someone else could enjoy my sticks like I had. Of course most of my stuff is museum or junkyard quality

The pro cracks a funny grin and says " Relax Dan the member who owns them has been dead for 6 years and he won't be needing them this afternoon"
[/quote]

Best line I've read all day.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1448541340' post='12648192']
My wife said it was male menopause that I was going into it suddenly.
[/quote]

Wives are so helpful.

If there isn't a sports car that it is painful to get in and out of in the driveway Stu, then it ain't men-o-pause.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I am glad you liked the story with my brother. I wish he lived closer and still played.
I am here to say tonight that i hit a new ping g max 7 iron tonight that my wife was test hitting at the range tonight. Women's flex. Thought i hit it wrong on the first shot felt and sounded tinny. Second shot was 3/4 swing and had good flight and distance and felt the same, just awful YUK. Didn't say anything just gave it back and finished my bucket with my wedges and felt better after my first shot with a forged club head.
Venting over
JB

As befitting the Classic Golf and Golfers, a hearty shout out to 56 year old Peter Senior for winning the Australian Masters this weekend, beating all the flat bellies.
[/quote]

I'll take your shout and raise you an extra shout for 46-year old Rod Pampling's closing 61 (10 under) in the same event to break Spieth's incredible course record 63 from last year by two shots ... Rod started with a bogey as well :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1449060651' post='12670774']
[/quote]

I'll take your shout and raise you an extra shout for 46-year old Rod Pampling's closing 61 (10 under) in the same event to break Spieth's incredible course record 63 from last year by two shots ... Rod started with a bogey as well :)
[/quote]Not wanting to be seen as pedantic but Pampling's great round was in the tournament the following week, ie the Australian Open, which was won by Matt Jones.

[quote name='Eidolon' timestamp='1449290826' post='12682926']
Stu, if it is an age issue, just move. When I went from Greenville NC to Ft. Worth I have saved 2 years (57 not 59) just due to lack of humidity. But traffic is like Hyw. 17 in July. :) Mike
[/quote]Oh yeah I have been to Texas quite a bit in my trucking days love it and yep know about the traffic. Don't know if I have ever mentioned it before but all of the folks on my Step Mom's side of the family are from Greenville NC and Craven county NC. Spent some time there myself. Played some golf in the past at Greenville Country Club and Brook Valley my Dad's friend was the pro at GGCC and his other friend was the pro at nearby Ayden CC. Both my Dad and step Mom are buried at Calico 13 miles east of Greenville. My ankle issues may be headed for improvement though. My eye doctor and her husband are friends of mine (both are eye docs) and she reccomended me to a friend of theirs who is an othro guy. I got in to see him Wednesday and he got me a different set of ankle braces and so far they seem ok. I have worn them the last 2 days at work. The real test will be if I play golf this weekend. I really don't want to move because my wife has a great job and is working on her 2nd retirement and our house is paid for even if it is a mobile home. I have a pretty decent job now myself and have finally figgured out how to make a decent living here after 13 years

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1448999519' post='12668042']
The pro cracks a funny grin and says " Relax Dan the member who owns them has been dead for 6 years and he won't be needing them this afternoon"
[/quote]

Best line I've read all day.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1448541340' post='12648192']
My wife said it was male menopause that I was going into it suddenly.
[/quote]

Wives are so helpful.

If there isn't a sports car that it is painful to get in and out of in the driveway Stu, then it ain't men-o-pause.
[/quote]LOL my direct boss who is a golfing buddy of mine just retired 2 weeks ago at age 71. He is well off money wise. He just bought himself a 2016 Corvette

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1449320781' post='12683502']
Stu,
Why on earth would you want to move from "God's Country?" Unless it was to a state with no state income tax. Texas would fit the bill.
[/quote]

Randy, I suggest that Stu considers Illinois where the taxes are always on the rise, most of the politicians are crooks, it can snow from November to May but the golf courses are SPECTACULAR!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

As they say, it can get hot in the summer, but you don't have to shovel sunshine

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Randomly curious to hear from those of you who have moved South, what was the decison clincher for your choice of Florida vs Arizona vs Southern California vs Texas .. etc etc (with apologies for other States I may have omitted!)

I have an expat uncle who resides inTucson .... I like AZ, but only in Winter!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1449320781' post='12683502']
Stu,
Why on earth would you want to move from "God's Country?" Unless it was to a state with no state income tax. Texas would fit the bill.
[/quote]Oh Trust me I aint if I move from this area it would be more towards your area but I do not see that happening in the immediate future--- unless we hit a BIG lottery and then it is Kiawah Island or Sea Island GA and I would have a big place where all my WRX buddies could come see me and BS around and of course play golf

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1448351174' post='12639140']
One of my favorites on YouTube. Great golf (and cool backswing), plus great commentary on the 'youth of today'.
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttbtRNNQufY[/media]
[/quote]

I've played that course a couple of times when I was younger. Great course. I think I played each layout at least once, but can't remember which was better.