Random conversation thread

The dot at the top of an i is called a tittle.

Ok if you say so--- Hey I learned something there DP-- Who says WRX is not educational?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

The dot at the top of an i is called a tittle.

Ok if you say so--- Hey I learned something there DP-- Who says WRX is not educational?

Hey my friend...hope you and our mutual "friend" are doing well.

He is resting right now but never to leave here he now has other siblings besides the 7 wood he has his brothers the 3 and 5

Was thinking about you Randy, wondering how you were fairing. If that's the worst, didn't end up on the house or something, then good news. Hopefully, the no flooding conditions continue. WC says the worst is apparently over for the Charleston area.

Thoughts and prayers to all those impacted by Matthew.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Good to see you made it out ok compaired to last year. Fella and Papa Johick and I was discussing if you were all right over in the Clubhouse Grill and then I saw you were reading the thread on Blade irons and knew you were ok. I let them know over there and Doug let me know you had posted over here

August from up at Wilmington NC wants to do a Matthew Survivors get together when we get dried up and back to normal so you are invited. The only questions between you and I are when and are you and I going to play "Strictly Vintage?" or a Bag for all seasons--- You know me I can do either one

Stu,

The Matthew survivors thing sounds good, count me in.

Jonny,

A man's gotta place his priorities in order.

I knew you would be game for it--- Now do you and I go strictly vintage or a bag for all seasons? You decide--- I am good either way hey we are playing golf!

Well Stu,

The state of my game at this point in time leans more towards the bag for all seasons.

I played this setup a few days before Matthew, then put the persimmons and bullseye in for a post Matthew "grounds crew testing the playability of the course before opening up for the membership" on Thursday afternoon. Had heck keeping the Citation in play after playing the Cally Mini. I find it extremely hard to switch back and forth between them without any practice time in between.

Was going to play yesterday, but I did a shade tree replacement of the radiator I had previously posted pics about. The back was not in any shape to swing after that.

I am going to have my schedule firmed up this week, so I should know my days off, and I may have jury duty obligation in November. Will know more about that on November 4th.

I agree with you on golf is golf. Would play it ha shovel and rake just to be out knocking a ball around my friend.

I had not hit a ball for 2 weeks which is somewhat unusual for me until late yesterday afternoon. I worked at my job yesterday was supposed to be only until noon but things escalated and we did not get done until 15:00 or so. What I do when I practice is sneak my persimmon in some and when I get loose I will hit it then hit my toaster some if I am playing seriously. But yeah I will agree you do have to practice it some to be able to make good contact. Fairway woods are no problem since my modern Adams and before the the V-Steels are small headed anyhow compaired to most modern fairways. LOL got a chuckle the other week. A guy I know was hitting some sort of TM fairway on the range and I thought it was a 3 wood. Nope it was the 5 wood and it was just about the size of one of my Penna persimmon drivers

Drive the par 4 5th hole yesterday, right to the middle of the green. Course had their end of year tournament where they have the tees in crazy spots and put the pins in the hardest place possible on the green, usually right in the middle of big slopes. I was playing from regular tees, but the pins were brutal. Eagle putt was about 15 feet and I left it a couple feet short. Second putt went past the hole a foot or so on the right, rolled back at me to the left of the hole and ended up about 10 feet past me. It almost went in coming back down the hill, but no luck and took me 2 more to get down for 5. Stupid game

Ah,

Up early, 5am, to do some stretching and light workout. Was going to have a morning beach run, but it's turned brisk, 62 degrees F, with a 20 knot north wind. Wind chill in the 50's!!!!

What to do, what to do...

Overcast as well, looks like an Edgar Allen Poe kind of day. as a side note Poe was stationed here in the Lowcountry and there is a splendid bistro on the Mt. P. side of the Cooper that bears his name, but I regress, what to do, what to do...

It is discount day at the local thrifts, but since it was raining yesterday have already punched that ticket for the week.

Have to run an errand or two for the wife, but that will kill all of about an hour, what to do, what to do...

Chores, yes, always chores to be done, but my imposed medical semi-retirement has afforded me the ability to keep them caught up.

A shame to waste this perfectly splendid, breezy, damp, overcast day inside.

A perfect day to let my imagination wax childish and pretend the old Jenkins Links is actually The Old Course, they do have a road hole, or two...

Good morning,

Just seen your post of almost 3 years ago, to the day, while enjoying my morning coffee, my kids at my feet, and some Grand Funk Railroad, to set the mood. I too, am an "an old school rocker. Your days, resemble mine to a large degree. My oldest's (lab) name is Cooper. As in Alice Cooper, but he's Coop to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say good morning, and hope that the last 3 years have been good to you. Enjoy your day Sir. -B-

Morning Bob,

Well, it's mid-60ish and Godiva, (Dee) to me my big Cheesie, and I are enjoying my morning coffee and.a bowl of Captain Black outside, while listening to the mellow sounds of crickets and owls.

A few more aches and pains, but they are just a hill for a high stepper.

Glad to know there's still a few of us around.

Thanks for taking the time to post Bob.

Ah,

Up early, 5am, to do some stretching and light workout. Was going to have a morning beach run, but it's turned brisk, 62 degrees F, with a 20 knot north wind. Wind chill in the 50's!!!!

Overcast as well, looks like an Edgar Allen Poe kind of day. as a side note Poe was stationed here in the Lowcountry and there is a splendid bistro on the Mt. P. side of the Cooper that bears his name, but I regress, what to do, what to do...

It is discount day at the local thrifts, but since it was raining yesterday have already punched that ticket for the week.

Have to run an errand or two for the wife, but that will kill all of about an hour, what to do, what to do...

Chores, yes, always chores to be done, but my imposed medical semi-retirement has afforded me the ability to keep them caught up.

A shame to waste this perfectly splendid, breezy, damp, overcast day inside.

A perfect day to let my imagination wax childish and pretend the old Jenkins Links is actually The Old Course, they do have a road hole, or two...

Good morning,

Just seen your post of almost 3 years ago, to the day, while enjoying my morning coffee, my kids at my feet, and some Grand Funk Railroad, to set the mood. I too, am an "an old school rocker. Your days, resemble mine to a large degree. My oldest's (lab) name is Cooper. As in Alice Cooper, but he's Coop to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say good morning, and hope that the last 3 years have been good to you. Enjoy your day Sir. -B-

Goes to show-- You are never too old to rock and roll---- i am 60 still drive a truck and listen to everything from Southern Gospel to Zepplin. My new Mack has a factory Dolby stereo and I go down the road jamming--- And I am not your normal Southern Redneck truck driver I do not listen to country especially this modern crap--- Every now and then when I get into the mood I will listen to Johnny Cash or the Highwaymen. Today I pulled on the yard to do a off load and was sitting back jamming and had it cranked one of the kids came up wanted to know what I was listening to I told him and he was puzzled---- I was listening to my Dio CD

• 2 weeks later...

Took some me time and headed to the range Sunday evening where I happened upon a couple of caddies from Kiawah.

I have been fortunate to have played all the Kiawah courses, public and private, except for The River Course, so I was feeling out how I might get on for a round. First, find a member, get an invite, then pay $450.00 plus caddy fees.

Don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Randy, your post ^ got me to thinking in this early morning hour. How much is one willing to pay for a round of golf? Anywhere. At $450 + caddy fees + tip, one is approaching 6 bills. That's a whole lot of money for 4 hours of fun. I'd be hard pressed to fork over that about of coinage as well. Even if it was a one time only opportunity.

The most I've ever paid was $140 at a course in Northern Michigan. Marvelous venue, really enjoyed it, but a bit above my skill set even playing from the more forward tees. Some of these courses are to difficult for the average hack such as myself. Landing zones, lots of bunkers, extremely difficult greens to read and putt. Constantly battling the course is not what I call a fun day of playing at golf. On any regular basis. Was I glad I did it? Yes, on that one occasion. Playing with a group of good friends. Who were more overwhelmed by the course than even I. Would I do it again? No, once was enough.

Perhaps with a once in a lifetime trip to Great Britain (how's your trip planning coming along?), one would have to open the wallet to play the "historic" courses. But have to believe there are others, that would offer 90% of the experience at 25% of the cost. With prudent evaluation.

But I no longer have any "must play" desires. The cost/enjoyment ratio doesn't equate. Suppose it's all relative to how much disposable cash one has available. I'm hard pressed to pay more than $100 (maybe once per season) these days. Become much to conflicted, thinking how else I should be using those funds. Thus devaluing the experience even more.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

The most I've ever paid was $140 at a course in Northern Michigan. Marvelous venue, really enjoyed it, but a bit above my skill set even playing from the more forward tees. Some of these courses are to difficult for the average hack such as myself. Landing zones, lots of bunkers, extremely difficult greens to read and putt. Constantly battling the course is not what I call a fun day of playing at golf. On any regular basis. Was I glad I did it? Yes, on that one occasion. Playing with a group of good friends. Who were more overwhelmed by the course than even I. Would I do it again? No, once was enough.

Your story Fella, reminds me of a buddy's experience this summer playing Thundering Waters in Niagara Falls. I was supposed to join him, but had to decline as my back was causing me fits at that time. He took along another mutual friend to play with him that day. I didn't get to ask him how that went until we all played together in a charity scramble in September.

Ordeal was the best word that he could come up with what with the John Daley course being scattered with pot bunkers, a constant water hazard (Niagara River) and pinch points galore that required target golf rather than bombing the ball (which happens to be the only style my pal plays)! It took them all day and even with liberal scoring he shot in the 120's! My pal is a terrible sand player so I can only imagine the hell that course put him through. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to play a destination course when it is so clearly above your pay grade discounted rate or not.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

we haven't had any comic relief lately, boys. So here comes a story from MinnesoTA about Oley and Lena:

Oley's brother, Sven, drops by Oley's house for a beer and sees Oley out working in the yard...

"He Oley. Vat's up? I 'aven't seen you or lena for a while. Is ever'ting OK?"

"Ima not to sure, Sven. I'ma OK. but I'm not sure about Lena. I tink maybe she died"

"Lena is dead? Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure, ya. You betcha"

"Vat makes you tink dat?"

" Vell, da sex is the same. But the dishes keep piling up in the kitchen sink"

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the Golf Channel series Driver vs. Driver that is sponsored by Wilson Golf. For those that aren't familiar the series is chronicling a competition amongst amateur club designers with the winner getting his/her design to market as Wilson's next driver.

It has been an interesting journey involving both golf junkies and cutting edge design teams that have no particular involvement with the game.

The competition leading into last night's episode was down to three designs with real on course testing taking place with everyday players. Now mind you these everyday players are celebrities with the majority being former professional athletes.

Now I know why everyone on Golfwrx hits the driver 300 yards, because these guys certainly do and that's just ordinary. How about 350 and 360 yard drives by former MLB pitchers Josh Beckett and Eric Gagne! Now these guys are big dudes as in huge. Shoot they make co-host Brian Urlacher look "small". OK fine, I'll go along with this and then up steps football coach Herm Edwards and he with his wonky narrow swing is hitting it 280+! Really?

I get that these guys will have way above average hand eye co-ordination, but in order to get a ball to carry out there in excess of 300 yards carry requires that you move that clubhead at a way above average clip too. I get it with baseball players, even a pitcher because they were hitters at one time, but you really have to wonder about creative control on the part of producers in order to make for a compelling story.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Sco, the thing to remember about Herm Edwards, he's a former NFL linebacker, it's possible he could still bench his former playing weight.

That said, wouldn't surprise me if they are fluffing the distances. The Tour Event telecasts already do that with incorrect club (intentional or not) reporting on shots, and fluffing distances on tee shots. Distance sells.

Chicks Dig The Long Ball!

I don't know if pitchers' ability at golf, including distance, is related to hitting. There's a lot of rotational strength, and leg strength, in the art of pitching.

edited to add "tour event" above. proofreading for the win

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors