2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Not to make light of the conditions down your way, as unaccustomed to wintery weather that most folks are in those environs. Ice, always problematic. The snow, pfft. That's a dusting. Gives one some traction over the ice. Hardly worth breaking out the snowblower for. You don't have a snowblower?

Back when I was a working stiff, had to drive to Chicago with some regularity. Could be an adventure driving I-94 in the winter from about Watervliet to Gary due to the lake effect. Right at the lake, hardly anything. Ten miles inland, slammed.

Yup - and I saw a couple weeks ago there was a 50 some car pile up around Van Buren county on 94. Made the trip 2 times a week from MSU to Benton Harbor when I was in school, regardless of the weather - plenty of snow & ice.

Spring '75 there was a blizzard so bad State cancelled classes. Kegs sold out before 10 am.

Except for Colt 45 - dat dere is some good stuff on tap!

They were showing a 40 car pile up on I-95 close to Walterboro SC yesterday afternoon. Walterboro is about 20 miles north of the Georgia border. My buddy called from Hartsville SC this morning. He drives for a company that does some hauling for us and he is also my counterpart being a truck foreman that also drives. Said it was a mess up there yesterday afternoon that there were trucks jack knifed all over US 52 by the steel mill and shredder. His company also kept all their trucks in too. Our yard never opened today period It is bad here because we are not prepared road wise for this sort of thing.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

South Florida is cold today! Expected temp for my 12:40 tt is 50 degrees but I decided I needed to get out and take one for the team!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

South Florida is cold today! Expected temp for my 12:40 tt is 50 degrees but I decided I needed to get out and take one for the team!

We're north of Tampa in Citrus county. Coldest 5 days I've seen since we started snowbirding 5 years ago.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Been strange November/December start to winter so far. Early November was too cold to play golf, then it warmed enough that we were able to play into early December. Little snow, things were looking decent, and we got stupid cold. Since before Xmas, we've been mostly below zero until the last couple days.

Would y'all being dumped on trade the snow for below zero temps? :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Been strange November/December start to winter so far. Early November was too cold to play golf, then it warmed enough that we were able to play into early December. Little snow, things were looking decent, and we got stupid cold. Since before Xmas, we've been mostly below zero until the last couple days.

Would y'all being dumped on trade the snow for below zero temps? :)

Actually, I've had some single digit temp days & looks like more to come this week

Here in the Atlanta area we didn't get any precip this time, just frigid temps in the teens.

But about 4 weeks ago we had the worst (best?) snowfall in about 25 years. Here's my little guy and his first ever snowman:

Had about 3 inches at this point, but ended up with a total of 8". Lost power for about 48 hours. Thankfully, we have gas logs, water heater, and stove.

My golf buddy and neighbor agreed with me last night that if this nonsense doesn't clear up soon we're gonna have to move farther south.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

We are in the thick of it right now. Expecting up to 14 inches with gusts over 50mph. I think I will cancel my tee time for tomorrow. lol

Aw heck where is your sense of adventure? Use colored balls and learn to hit that hooded down 1 iron :taunt: . Believe it or not I did hit a few into the net this afternoon took the leaf blower to the mat. Man oh man did that 58 Mac 6 iron sting some!!!! I hit about 20 or so and clipped a few in the snow off the back porch deck with a wedge. Thought to myself this is stupid when I got the wood stove going inside trotted my happy butt back in

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

From the 'I have more money than sense' file...

http://www.morningread.com/releases/434511b1-7db6-432b-bf76-a156aa744ad9

"Seven Dreamers produces shafts for woods, irons and putters, each starting at $1,200 (MSRP). For the U.S. and Canadian market"

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

We are in the thick of it right now. Expecting up to 14 inches with gusts over 50mph. I think I will cancel my tee time for tomorrow. lol

Aw heck where is your sense of adventure? Use colored balls and learn to hit that hooded down 1 iron :taunt: . Believe it or not I did hit a few into the net this afternoon took the leaf blower to the mat. Man oh man did that 58 Mac 6 iron sting some!!!! I hit about 20 or so and clipped a few in the snow off the back porch deck with a wedge. Thought to myself this is stupid when I got the wood stove going inside trotted my happy butt back in

Keeping the feel is keeping the feel brother. I went to the Top Golf near me last night and froze my keaster off. If people think AP2's feel clicky during the season, they should try hitting them in 30 degree temps haha

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you must have seen this on the David Letterman's show, but here it is again.

David Letterman's Top Ten Reasons Why Golf Is Better Than Sex......

#10... A below par performance is considered damn good.

#09..... You can stop in the middle and have a cheeseburger and a couple of beers.

#08... It's much easier to find the sweet spot.

#07.. Foursomes are encouraged.

#06... You can still make money doing it as a senior.

#05.... Three times a day is possible.

#04... Your partner doesn't hire a lawyer if you play with someone else.

#03... If you live in Florida , you can do it almost every day.

#02... You don't have to cuddle with your partner when you're finished.

And the NUMBER ONE reason why golf is better than sex.....

#01... When your equipment gets old you can replace it!

http://www.morningre...76-a156aa744ad9

"Seven Dreamers produces shafts for woods, irons and putters, each starting at $1,200 (MSRP). For the U.S. and Canadian market"

Hot dog.

Is it blessed by Dalai Lama himself and warranty to gain 10 more yards every year ?

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me Father(s) for I have sinned.

I bought a used 'White Driver' today for $30 (TaylorMade Burner Superfast with the Ozik shaft) and hit the ever loving sh_t out of it on the range today. It's going out with the Mizzy Blades for a round tomorrow.

~ sigh ~

HC Jnr's snowman looks like Bubba!

(It's the tablets).

One of our golfing group told us about a trip to Turkey where the waiters would go and knock on the doors of single women and ask them to have sex so they would know what to do when they got married.

A Yorkshire lass told him to p**s off and go and continue practising on his own!

Another lad told of a radio phone-in that he heard part of which was a competition to determine what made women attractive.

Losing answers varied from "Ten pints of lager" to "Laryngitis".

http://www.morningre...76-a156aa744ad9

Hot dog.

Is it blessed by Dalai Lama himself and warranty to gain 10 more yards every year ?

Seven Dreamers had a demo day at a driving range I frequent. I really, REALLY wanted to go try out their shafts, but unfortunately I had a prior commitment that day and couldn't make it.