The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of wedges. Like I said you want peak bounce in the middle of the wedge with some heel and trailing edge relief. The Vokey m grind 56* bent to 58 is probably closest you'll get to the V grind at retail. Or the 58* M grind bent to 60*. Both are very good. The new TP wedges from Taylormade are good as are the latest wedges from Callaway. The tour grind callaway 58* bent to 60* is virtually identical to the V grind and what I'd probably play if I had to find a new wedge.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/more/mack-daddy-2-tour-grind-wedges/wedges-2014-mack-daddy-2-tour-chrome.html

[quote name='beutelwomb' timestamp='1408373034' post='9956641']
[quote name='nevets88' timestamp='1408372800' post='9956617']
Sorry if this is a repeat question Dan, I'm still working through this thread. Is there a way to full screen the video? And download it for offline viewing? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Right-click Save as...
[/quote]

Doh! I see now, I had to hover over the L C R part for the link.

It's similar. If you are struggling it's not the wedge. A proper wedge gives you maximum margin for error and versatility but it can be done with any wedge. Heck can be done with a blade 3 iron. If your struggling watch the videos again. And try to learn one at a time not watch them all at once. Watch carefully. They are worded and explained clearly and the way they were for a reason. Most questions aside from equipment I've answered here are actually in the videos. 1 video at a time and do it exactly as it says. It's simple but specific.

Just a thank you Iteach.

Won a matchplay yesterday against a single digit opponent last night (played from scratch).

I am pretty sure that one of the reasons I won was the consistency I get from your technique around green from 40 meters in. It doesn't look fancy but the efficiency is fantastic. Over a greenbunker to a short pin from a flat lie - no problem. I am pretty sure it through him off in the long run.

For me one of the keys is not to get concerned too much with tecnique but merely working with the simplicity. Get used to the strange feeling it gives with the ball so much forward in the stance and then just swing it toward the target using the bounce. It's not for tap-ins all the time but close enough for at least easy two-puts every time. I use a 60* wedge but with a T-grind which I believe to be as far away from your recommendations as possible. But even with that the technique works great.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1407374191' post='9875597']
Highly unlikely. As clubhead approaches from inside the target line too much the heel is the furthest thing from the bal. Guessing either swing across it or knees moving forward towards target line weight moving towards toes. Best is to film it so you actually know what is happening.
[/quote]

Did a video of hitting a short pitch, and it looks like a pretty vertical takeaway, and cutting across it. Softening the right arm at address and getting it more inline with the left seems to help the takeaway. I've got the short game videos. Is there particular video, and segment within it that you think I should really re-watch closely to help get the club moving more shallow and down the line?

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had success experimenting with ball position while still using the other fundamentals Dan talks about? I honestly have a lot of trouble feeling proper distance control with the ball as far forward as the videos suggest. The trajectory of my shots with the ball that far forward is just crazy high and makes it hard to visualize the shot beforehand for me. I find that if I move the ball to the left (target) side of my neck, but still utilize everything else (especially low clubhead through and beyond impact) it works much better for me. It is nice to know that I CAN move the ball forward and get a lot of extra height on some specialty shots around the green, but for standard pitches/chips, I guess my brain sees a lower flight and a bit more run-out, and ball position helps me there.

Just some thoughts - curious to see what others have discovered with this method. Dan, thanks again for the videos - overall they are awesome!!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I asked Dan about this, and for me he was OK with ball position even with left armpit. If want lower trajectory like with more "standard" low trajectory chipping technique, can just pick lower lofted club and use Dan's method.

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1409531410' post='10042179']
Just out of curiosity, has anyone had success experimenting with ball position while still using the other fundamentals Dan talks about? I honestly have a lot of trouble feeling proper distance control with the ball as far forward as the videos suggest. The trajectory of my shots with the ball that far forward is just crazy high and makes it hard to visualize the shot beforehand for me. I find that if I move the ball to the left (target) side of my neck, but still utilize everything else (especially low clubhead through and beyond impact) it works much better for me. It is nice to know that I CAN move the ball forward and get a lot of extra height on some specialty shots around the green, but for standard pitches/chips, I guess my brain sees a lower flight and a bit more run-out, and ball position helps me there.

Just some thoughts - curious to see what others have discovered with this method. Dan, thanks again for the videos - overall they are awesome!!
[/quote]

I'm still working with this, and it certainly is encouraging. I have hit a whole bunch of really nice pitches that go up, land soft, and roll just a bit and stay within 5 feet of the hole. I know it is not much to celebrate, but I actually chipped in for a birdie on Saturday, sad to say, it was the first chip in of the year......pretty straight forward chip/pitch, about 5 yards off the green, sitting down a a bit in the rough off a slight upslope but the green ran away just a bit, total shot about 50-60 feet.

I'm really gaining confidence with the ball forward, I just have to really work to keep my lower body calm and let the arms/club do the work. Also, moving the ball forward has greatly improved my sand play, I can now actually hit the ball at the hole and have some consistency with spin/roll.

I really need to start testing it under real pressure/tournament conditions, that will be the real test....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1409531410' post='10042179']

[/quote]

Can play the ball on left ear, but would never recommend behind the left ear. As you move it back it just brings in the possibility of hitting it thin, slightly less margin of error. For more roll out I suggest changing effective loft and simply changing the club. Using the same technique with ball forward but using a PW or 52* will come off much lower (will be using less speed and shorter swing as well which further lowers flight). The key to consistency is changing as few variables as possible so that the result is the most predictable time after time.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1409668678' post='10049551']
Can play the ball on left ear, but would never recommend behind the left ear. As you move it back it just brings in the possibility of hitting it thin, slightly less margin of error. For more roll out I suggest changing effective loft and simply changing the club. Using the same technique with ball forward but using a PW or 52* will come off much lower (will be using less speed and shorter swing as well which further lowers flight). The key to consistency is changing as few variables as possible so that the result is the most predictable time after time.
[/quote]

I am one of those guys that likes to use the same club around the green for 98% of shots. I'll sometimes use an 8 iron for a bump and run, but the other 98% is the 60* wedge. For me, keeping that variable the same makes sense, but I will spend some time practicing with my 51* and see how it works. Thanks Dan

Ps - any tips for keeping ball position static? I like the feels in the upper body/head that you talk about, but when I go back and look at FO video I find that the ball isn't where I thought it was. It tends to be quite a bit more forward than it feels to me. Talking both full swing and short game here...

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I have recently gone back and re-watched all of the videos a few times. It seems like every time I watch them I remember something that I had not be putting into play during rounds on the course. One thing this time that stuck with me was on the bunker shot, keeping the butt behind the heels and the hands under the chin. I used that yesterday in the bunker twice, I had not been setting up with my hands as far away from me with my butt behind my heels lately, but with that change I hit two good bunker shots inside of 4 feet and saved me a couple of shots.

As for using different clubs around the greens vs one, I have played that way for 20+ years and it was hard to change. I still occasionally use an 8 iron or PW on a really basic chip, but more and more I use my 58 for nearly every shot. The more you work on one club the better you seem to get with it. I think a lot of it has to do with the greens you are playing on too. If your greens are hard and super fast, any club other than a 58 rarely makes an appearance.

If you are used to keeping the ball on the ground for very long distances, using one wedge takes some getting used to as you obviously need to fly it farther. But, you can still hit a low runner with the L wedge. I have found, like Dan told me I would, that flying the ball farther to the hole takes out more variables like bad bounces, varying green speeds, break, among others. It is easy to judge with less variables ultimately using one club.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1409675922' post='10050235']
[b]I have recently gone back and re-watched all of the videos a few times. It seems like every time I watch them I remember something that I had not be putting into play during rounds on the course.[/b] One thing this time that stuck with me was on the bunker shot, keeping the butt behind the heels and the hands under the chin. I used that yesterday in the bunker twice, I had not been setting up with my hands as far away from me with my butt behind my heels lately, but with that change I hit two good bunker shots inside of 4 feet and saved me a couple of shots.

As for using different clubs around the greens vs one, I have played that way for 20+ years and it was hard to change. I still occasionally use an 8 iron or PW on a really basic chip, but more and more I use my 58 for nearly every shot. The more you work on one club the better you seem to get with it. I think a lot of it has to do with the greens you are playing on too. If your greens are hard and super fast, any club other than a 58 rarely makes an appearance.

If you are used to keeping the ball on the ground for very long distances, using one wedge takes some getting used to as you obviously need to fly it farther. But, you can still hit a low runner with the L wedge. I have found, like Dan told me I would, that flying the ball farther to the hole takes out more variables like bad bounces, varying green speeds, break, among others. It is easy to judge with less variables ultimately using one club.
[/quote]

HStead,

I took notes while watching the videos and saved them to Evernote. Still need to do a couple more, but if you want the finished product, Iet me know. Yeah, it looks funny to be whipping out your phone on a short game shot because you think you've forgotten something, but it works for me.

[quote name='joeunc' timestamp='1409682436' post='10050837']
[quote name='shanksalot' timestamp='1409682272' post='10050815']
What video shows the basic chip shot? Which one should I watch first?
[/quote]

good/tight lie one show basic chip shot
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the one. I watched that first, then the basic bunker, long bunker, fairway bunker, buried bunker, buried rough, flop shot and then all the ball above/below/downhill/sidehill lies.

[quote name='FFDan' timestamp='1409684775' post='10051083']
Really like the videos Dan, I'm starting to see more consistency with all the shots...except the sand. I'm blading it to the right. Is ball position suppose to be off left ear as well? And is my body square or open to my target. I need some help here!
[/quote]

As it says in the videos, ball forward (can be WAY forward). You want to aim at the target and NOT open. You also want to swing towards the target and not way left of it.