The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1406122336' post='9766215']
[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1406122194' post='9766185']
Dan, or others familiar with his teaching: would you recommend any changes in firm, wet sand? The kind of sand where it takes effort to rake? I find that using bounce this way makes the club bounce off the sand and into the ball blading it into the lip or over the green pretty much every time.

I'm fairly confident I'm executing the swing properly as I get great results from tight lies and rough, bunker play isn't working though at my course that has really firm sand.
[/quote]

Look at buried lie video. Just not as extreme. Wet sand is heavier and harder to get through. So you have to be steeper with more speed to get through it and stay in it long enough.
[/quote]

Hard sand is same as wet which is less extreme version of buried lie. I don't really dig feet in much at all.

Question for any of you that follow Dan's technique....I've narrowed my 60* wedge search down to Vokey with either K or M grind. M grind is only available up to 8* of bounce in 60* wedge it looks like, and I think I want more than 10* bounce. Thus, leaning towards K grind (60*/11*). My question is do any of you that have either of these wedges have trouble opening the face up quite a bit and having too much bounce? Have not been able to demo either, just look at them in the pro shop....both look difficult to use with the face wide open.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1406768409' post='9820961']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1406766553' post='9820763']
58/8 bent 2* weak is good (60-10). M grind is more versatile than the K grind IMO. M grind will have zero issues being open.
[/quote]

Yeah but my wallet will if I end up buying one!
[/quote]

Thankfully I have merch $$ to spend :)

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I have the K w/11 and don't have any significant issues. It does have a "thicker" sole which may not be preferred by many but it's good enough for me.

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1406766275' post='9820733']
Question for any of you that follow Dan's technique....I've narrowed my 60* wedge search down to Vokey with either K or M grind. M grind is only available up to 8* of bounce in 60* wedge it looks like, and I think I want more than 10* bounce. Thus, leaning towards K grind (60*/11*). My question is do any of you that have either of these wedges have trouble opening the face up quite a bit and having too much bounce? Have not been able to demo either, just look at them in the pro shop....both look difficult to use with the face wide open.
[/quote]

K isn't bad and will more than work. I prefer slimmer sole with steeper initial bounce. The K does have the bounce in the center of the sole which is my preference. Just like my wedges steeper and narrower so they are more versatile. For 90% of shots and with solid contact any wedge will work. Some just have a larger margin of error for the less than perfectly executed shots and some is personal preference. 10+* of bounce with bounce near center of the sole will work regardless of rest of specs. Just don't want peak bounce on back of sole.

I will say this without giving away the farm, but even though I have had lessons multiple times in person, the Lob shot video has saved me multiple shots already, two in particular today. The thumbs yada yada yada description couldn't have made it easier and a part of my short game that has not been consistent, the dreaded short side flop with little green to work with and sloping away, is now fairly easy which means I can be more aggressive with my approaches. I hit two flop shots today that before the videos I would have been dead and walked away with bogeys. The two shots today were both inside of 3 feet where it looked impossible all because of the simple explanation about the thumbs.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='markfax' timestamp='1406857622' post='9828965']
Dan

Great vids ...

In what situations does M or V grind work better than K?

For Vokey M grind, would 56/10 bent 2* weak to 58/12 work, or is that too much bounce?
[/quote]

IMO on tight lies where you need to open the face is better with M/V. Bunker is slightly easier with K. Everything is a compromise I just feel in my case the V is sort of the swiss army knife and can do almost everything well. I use a 60/12. 58/12 would work great

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1406130257' post='9767389']
The hips are reactionary. If arms are extended and in front of you in the follow through you will turn. You have no choice. Trying to do something that will already happen automatically will lead to poor mechanics.
[/quote]

And there it is ;) Why change 5 things when you can change 1 that will automatically change the other 4.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1407067429' post='9844729']
Those are all compensations which are uneccesarry IMO. Will work but think my way is easier. Open stance is to offset ball being back and no wrist set it to try and take out the steepness of having the ball back.
[/quote]
Very good point dan.. He also says he plays the ball back to flight the ball and control the distance. What is your thought on that?

[quote name='beutelwomb' timestamp='1407085643' post='9845923']
I have some problems playing short bunker shots where i need no get a real high and soft ball flight. With the normal approach i usually end up being to long. Any special adjustment for shorter bunker shots ?
[/quote]

Sand has to go more up and less out. Two options. Try rehinging the club very fast (can be tough to judge) or hit some where you feel like you leave the club head in the sand. You're not slowing down. Your still thumping the sand hard your just hitting the brakes and stopping almost immediately after contact

[quote name='fishstix94' timestamp='1407130669' post='9851189']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1407067429' post='9844729']
Those are all compensations which are uneccesarry IMO. Will work but think my way is easier. Open stance is to offset ball being back and no wrist set it to try and take out the steepness of having the ball back.
[/quote]
Very good point dan.. He also says he plays the ball back to flight the ball and control the distance. What is your thought on that?
[/quote]

That has nothing to do with distance control and little to do with flighting the ball. Again its a way to do it but not how I would suggest to do it

Dan

Great on course results in my last round. Successfully used your techniques to get up and down several times when I was short-sided on a downslope requiring loft, and in a downhill bunker. And this was with very little practice. Would have been sure bogey or even d. bogey the way I was doing it before.

Wanted to ask about your standard tight lie chip, which I'm not getting. I've been taught that when possible, a short game shot should be a mini version of a full swing, with changes in setup. When I attempt your method of chipping, it feels very arm-y, and I tend to flinch and blade the ball. With my normal arms&pivot chip, it feels more natural like a mini-full swing, and as long I keep ball forward and impact shallow, results are decent.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's important that chipping method translates to full swing, or only what gives largest margin of error like you've figured out? No criticism intended, I'm sure it's my bad execution and not any problem with your method ...

Edit: typos

I didn't ever say to not pivot. I just want it to be reactionary. It's exactly how the club should work in the full swing. In a basic chip/pitch the hands are barely moving past the right leg. Clubhead by far makes the biggest arc and the arc gets smaller as move towards your core. If the arc your hands make is only a foot long going back your pivot will be very small. We are talking maybe 20* of shoulder turn and an extremely small amount of hip turn. All which will happen if you swing you arms while keeping then extended out in front of you. If you are blading it you are not keeping clubhead low or not hitting the ground. You want to still try and thump the ground. It's simply that when done correctly it won't dig no matter how hard you hit the ground