2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Non-conforming driver recommendations?

73monte

For the first time, I'm now considering going with a non-conforming JDM driver for 2014. Since it's impossible to demo one, I'm going to try this route once, based on recommendations and appearances.

I have it down to a RomaRo 460hx gold, and a Ryoma special tuning. There's also a Kamui 460 I like the look of on ebay.

Anyway, looking for opinions and recommendations. Just a few things about me. My SS has dropped over the last 5yrs. Not sure exactly, but around 90MPH. Used to be a 5, but now have climbed to a 10-12, strictly, believe it or not, due to the lost distance I'm struggling with of the tee.

Thanks in adavance.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about trying the Wishon 959 OL?
I know it's not a JDM, but Wishon's items are highly praised.
I have a new in plastic 10.5° head that I have not deciided what to do with.

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

The Kamui Works can be ordered at any spec you like. Totally custom. The hxgold will be a closed face sadly. I went with the Geotech rf700 to start out.

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

For a cheaper alternative, see if can locate the older Taylor Made XR-03, long without high pitched sound common in many non-conforming heads.Btw, lost distance can be regained through other means in equipment without going non-conforming route.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

go with the special tuning, it's the best performing all around. have tried the following non-conforming drivers and ranked them according to my taste/preference I'm a little more geared to performance or raw distance than feel or sound w driver...
Ryoma special tuning
epon technica Titan
kamui ray
geotechnical rf700 proto
calmly erc 2

you will like the nonconformings, I think they feel better and produce an extra 10 yards. that's huge when your good drives are 250...

the spec tuning is also the most forgiving driver I've had

only problem is I can't use them in competition...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1383885337' post='8118070']
Once again a person who wants to cheat himself and those that he plays with.
[/quote]

you're hilarious, look, if you're not betting or playing in events w it it's really no biggie. I do post recreational rounds for hcap purposes w it but I fail to see how that's hurting anyone but me and at the end of the day it really doesn't factor into performance much..,I write 'me all down and put em all in and having toggled back and forth it really doesn't make much of a difference in outcome.

I have never bet without prior disclosure...on occasion I've swapped it out when concern has been raised, on another occasion I gave up 2 strokes as I didn't have a second handy and wanted some action that day.

on smooth swings I notice I get about 8-10 yards more, no real difference when I really go at it, but I am by far the shortest hitter in my group and we play longer tees thus the driver has enhanced my enjoyment of the game. the faces feel great and it's just no big deal to my partners. we're all just out there to have fun.

a good number of players do reverse sandbag their hcap...if you enjoy fooling yourself and you're not taking advantage or hurting anyone else, more power to you...,if u post scores w a nonconforming driver, no question you're engaging in this behavior. you're in good company...this phenomenon goes on everywhere, it's human nature and it's not an abomination nor is it a great social ill....assessing penalty strokes and posting would be much more disingenuous IMO.

bottom line, enjoy the game and respect the spirit of the rules....rules are important but no need to go crazy as long as you're not hurting anyone I think you're safe from becoming a horrible person....although some people do believe nonconforming drivers are gateway clubs to serious cheating....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Other JDM forums I've read say that many of the high-cor driver aren't giving them any distance gains. Some say their swing isn't fast enough, and others say they swing too fast. The best way to gain distance from the research I've done is to find a setup that gives you the best launch and spin for your swing speed. At lower swing speeds your ideal launch and spin will be higher. What smash factors are you seeing from your current setup, what launch and what spin? Then you can truly identify the issue. To fix the issue a teaching pro can make swing adjustments and setup adjustments related to path and angle of attack (this usually leads to the biggest upgrades in distance). Then you can identify if a different driver loft and shaft can tune the rest of the way. If you are really obsessed with distance you dive into the world of strength and flexibility training (this is good for those who are getting older as it can eventually lead to more years of golf than you would have had otherwise). Good luck with your journey.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

I don't mean to sound too much like a broken record... have you looked at other alternatives? I would get on a launch monitor with a fitter. Spin rates, kick point, trajectory, etc will all play a huge factor in your distance. If you couple that with the proper ball fitting you could gain more distance than you would with a high COR driver. I have also heard that high cor drivers require a high swing speed to be taken advantage of...

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I saw 10-15 yards extra with my rf700. I was places on the course I had never been before. Not high swing speed here. My normal drives are 240 before.

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

If someone is playing golf recreationally and purely for the enjoyment, it's ignorant to claim he's cheating anyone or has lack of character. In fact it shows lack of character to even make those claims.

I have a Kamui Works Ray and besides being long is the best feeling driver I've played. Unfortunately mine doesn't see any bag time since I've started playing competitions but if I wasn't, I'd game it all the time!

He's free to buy and play any driver he wants, but if his USGA handicap went from 5 to 10-12 and he starts using an illegal driver and his handicap comes back down (he even states that it ONLY went up due to lost distance), did he really lower his USGA handicap? I've owned a high COR driver before, just for messing around with, but I wouldn't use it if I was turning in a score for HC purposes or competing. Might as well use 18 clubs or tap down spike marks or roll your ball around in the fairway.

OP Here,

Just want to address the "cheating" accusatons. I would never use an illegal driver in a sanctioned event. I wouldn't use it in a tournament. I wouldn't use it if having any kind of betting game with buddies.
I only play recreational golf now. I have no problem telling my playing partners that I'm gaming a non-conforming driver. I still use box groove wedges, and am quite open about it.
To me, it's only cheating if you're not open about it. It's like rolling the ball. I don't care if someone does that, if it helps them enjoy the game more. Just be open about it. Don't do it on the sly.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1383887667' post='8118154']
If your using a non-conforming driver your cheating! There is no way to justify its use. It is called lack of character.

Everybody eventually loses distance, the answer is to muscle-up, change your swing mechanics, not to put others at disadvantage
with non-conforming drivers, or balls.
[/quote]It's not cheating if your not on the PGA.

The PGA does not set the rules of Golf, the USGA and the Ancient Royal set the rules. You cannot post a score using
non-conforming clubs or balls.

A non-conforming Driver is made for one reason, to cheat.

The challenge of golf is against yourself, others, and playing within the rules. It is a game of skill, if your playing out of rules you are cheating the game and yourself.

The game of Golf for the recreational player is about enjoying the game.

So many ignorant people and responses here.... mind your own business and game.

You weren't asked for your opinion, it was some help with non conforming drivers.

OP, good luck with finding a driver that will help you enjoy the game more for many years to come.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1384055321' post='8126052']
The PGA does not set the rules of Golf, the USGA and the Ancient Royal set the rules. You cannot post a score using
non-conforming clubs or balls.

A non-conforming Driver is made for one reason, to cheat.

The challenge of golf is against yourself, others, and playing within the rules. It is a game of skill, if your playing out of rules you are cheating the game and yourself.
[/quote]

But who really cares if the OP plays a non-confirming driver? If you play recreational golf, play whatever you want.

Life is too short, and definitely too short to put up with the handicap police. If you are upset that guys might play non-conforming drivers and win the odd scramble - don't play scrambles.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Golf is supposed to be a game with integrity. IMO if you are gaining an unfair advantage there is no integrity, IMO a person who
is so hung up on distance with a non-conforming clubs also wants that wants that prestige HC, and probably has a problem
adding their score correctly.

Show me someone who ignores 1 rule on purpose and that person will ignore other rules also.

It is kind of like bowling and gutter your ball, hell its on recreational bowling don't count that frame, take it over. What have you
accomplished except a vanity score.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1384057439' post='8126148']
Golf is supposed to be a game with integrity. IMO if you are gaining an unfair advantage there is no integrity, IMO a person who
is so hung up on distance with a non-conforming clubs also wants that wants that prestige HC, and probably has a problem
adding their score correctly.

Show me someone who ignores 1 rule on purpose and that person will ignore other rules also.

It is kind of like bowling and gutter your ball, hell its on recreational bowling don't count that frame, take it over. What have you
accomplished except a vanity score.
[/quote]

Just let it go. This thread wasn't started by the OP to be lectured on what is right and wrong. He is looking for opinions on a specific driver and it appears you cannot help him.

I cant help you either OP but good luck in your search.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1384058136' post='8126184']
It is called protecting the game, the game deserves your best.
[/quote]

Protecting what game? a USGA or R&A game? What if the user chooses not to post scores or adhere to those rules are they not allowed on a golf course? When you pay your greens fee and decide not to post a score you can make up any rules you want to have fun. Heck use 30 clubs, use the foot wedge it doesn't matter. And golf courses could care less too they just want people to have fun and come back.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

The OP said that he was "considering" using a non-conforming driver due to a distance loss. He later stated that he was "looking for opinions and recommendations". So one could easily reason that he was welcoming specific drivers as well as opinions about using them. People gave their opinions, however harsh they may have been. The responses that were NOT solicited were the ones that opined that certain posters and responses were ignorant. So I'm left wondering who should mind whose business.