UPDATE 2014: Titleist Pro V1 vs. Pro V1X vs. Bridgestone B330 vs. B330-S vs. B330-RX vs. B330-RXS

backtees

UPDATE BRIDGESTONES 2014 AT THE BOTTOM

Hi folks!

Over 4 months I tested the premium balls from Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x) and Bridgestone (B330, B330-S, B330-RX, B330-RXS) and it’s a pleasure to share the outcome with you.

About me:

• In my early 40s, from Europe (Switzerland), HCP 4
  • Avg. driver SS 103 mph, avg. driving-distance 265 yards, avg. distance 8-iron 160 yards
  • Strength: iron play, short game. Weakness: definitely wood 3 from the deck
  • I would describe myself as a „feel-player“

Test environment:

• About 10 session on the range and practice area
  • A dozen rounds on different courses with different layouts in the US and Central Europe
  • On course I played mostly all balls side by side
  • Conditions during the on-course testing covered it all : dry / wet, high humidity / low humidity, high temperatures (90F plus) / low temperatures (60F), sun baked and fast fairways / soaked fairways, shaved greens / blunt greens, courses at sea-level / courses at 1800 feet

Feel

Remark: This is very subjective of course, just like art. I tried to describe how it felt hitting / putting the ball, how I felt I was able to compress the ball.

Pro V1: With one word: Pro V1! Great feel, not too hard, not too soft. Very smooth and a pleasure to hit. Unique of his kind.

Pro V1X: Noticeably firmer than all the other balls tested aside here as it is the ball with highest overall compression. Comparable to Callaway Tour I, Nike One Tour or to the Srixon Z-Star ZV.

B330: Comparable to the Pro V1 and the B330-S but not exactly as soft as them. Nevertheless a very pleasant and confidence-inspiring feel. Taylor Made TP3 or TP5 comes to mind.

B330-S: Very soft and pleasing with all clubs. It feels like it merges with the clubface for the split of a second and gives the impression of more control. Somewhere in between the Callaway Tour i(S) and the Srixon Z-Star and not too far from the Pro V1.

B330-RX: Together with the RXS the softest ball due to the lowest overall compression. Comparable to Callaway HEX Chrome, Taylor Made Burner TP or Nike One Vapor Speed. Nice.

B330-RXS: Great feel and as soft to play as the ultra smooth Wilson FG Tour but also as some of the better 2-piece balls like the Srixon AD-333.

Putting

Remark: Blade putter with no insert.

Pro V1: Simply a delight to putt this ball. So soft and responding truly. Like a hot knife going through butter and confidence inspiring.

Pro V1X: When hit purely this ball accelerates greatly and rolls like on rails, ignoring pitch mark and goes for the hole.

B330: Almost as soft and true as the Pro V1. But not as long. It seems like you have to push her a bit more than the Titleists which doesn’t have to be a bad thing as it is a question of practicing and getting used to that. And a slight advantage on very fast greens.

B330-S: No big difference to the B330 – a pleasure to putt this ball. True roll.

B330-RX: Tremendously soft and fantastic to putt with no clickiness at all. Very true roll and holds the line perfectly. One of the most confidence-inspiring to putt with.

B330-RXS: Same as for the RX – just great. This ball is hunting for the hole.

Chipping

Remark: Chipping with PW and iron 8. Different shots from 5 to 20 yards

Pro V1: Spins and checks beautifully. But not always – to repeat the same shot again and again was harder than with all the other balls in this test. A bit unpredictable, mainly for bump and run.

Pro V1X: Clearly less spin than the Pro V1. A disadvantage for hop & stop shots but easier to control for bump and runs when landing the ball a few yards in front of the pin and let her roll to / in the hole.

B330: She behaves great around the green. Not as spiny as the Pro V1, B330-S or B330-RXS, of course, but easy to play all kind of different shots. More the kind of ball to rolls to the hole.

B330-S: This is where the B330-S shines. If you want her to land and check, she does. If you want her to bump and run, she does. Much more predictable than the Pro V1.

B330-RX: Clearly the ball with the least spin of all. She is landing, bouncing 2-times and then rolls softly toward the hole. That ball plays differently than the other ones (exception B330).

B330-RXS: Very comparable to the B330-S, though a touch softer and with a bit less spin, it seems. A pleasure to chip with.

Bunker

Remark: Sandwedge 56* and lobwedge 60* from 8-15 yards. Very comparable results as for the chipping-sessions.

Pro V1: When hit purely a simply marvelous hop-hop-check. But again she’s a bit unpredictable every now and then with a hop-hop-roll which didn’t encourage me to aggressively attack the flag at the far end of the green.

Pro V1X: Two hops, a very short roll and stop. In a funny way she behaved a bit ”heavy” and “inert”, but in a very positive sense. Like the force of gravity was higher. Therefore very easy to control and calculable. Lovely!

B330: Comparable to the Pro V1X – a bit of spin, some roll and check.

B330-S: Easy to controll. Lots of spin for close pins and the ability to let it roll when there’s plenty of green to work with. I hit her with a lot of confidence.

B330-RX: With more green to work very easy to play. She lacks spin for the really short and close pins which were not so easy to play.

B330-RXS: Comparable to the B330-S – she runs when you want her to run and hop-hop-stops when you want her to freeze.

Pitching

Remark: from 40-100 yards with LW, SW and GW

Pro V1: Outstanding and great stopping power, she checks quickly and generates a remarkable amount of backspin. Sometime more than requested and she was running back a few yards to front of the green.

Pro V1X: For me the right amount of spin as the ball comes to rest close to the pitch-mark. The perceived higher density of the ball allowed her to rest sooner than others.

B330: As for the Pro V1X the B330 generates good spin to hold on fast greens, too.

B330-S: Plenty of spin, for sure, but not as excessive as the Pro V1 and therefore easier to control. She always came to rest within 3 foot close to the pitch mark. Always.

B330-RX: The ball with the fewest spin of all. She behaved well, but as I had some troubles to generate enough backspin she was running out a yard or two on sun baked and fast greens. No issues as for that on normal / soft greens.

B330-RXS: Comparable to the B330-S – plenty of spin but she does not exaggerate it and the ball comes to rest close to the mark of impact. Nice!

Irons

Remark: Shots with iron 6 to 8 from the fairway and first cut.

Pro V1: High ball-flight with lots of spin. A great ball to shape shots and a delight to attack the pin as she checks almost immediately. A bit of sidespin and she lands where you definitely don’t want her to rest. Ok in windy conditions.

Pro V1X: Mid-launching she’s a lovely ball to go (straight) for the green with the irons. Pin point accuracy. Behaves great in windy conditions.

B330: Comparable with the Pro V1X. Straight shots are done easily and the ball is very predictable. Even on slight miss hits she flew dead-straight to the target with almost no loss of distance.

B330-S: Very solid. The ball flight is very predictable and even with an iron 6 you go for the pin without fear as she will hold even fast and hard greens. Easy to shape the ball and with fewer risk compared to the Pro V1 that spin might excess and that she becomes unmaneuverable.

B330-RX: A nice mid to high ball flight. But as for pitching it cannot be expected that she stops very close to the pitch mark but runs out a bit.

B330-RXS: Comparable to the B330-S but with a softer feel, of course. She gets high, lands steep on the green and comes to rest quickly and close to the pitch mark with a bit of backspin.

Woods / hybrids

Remark: Shots from the tee, fairway and first cut with 19* hybrid, 3- and 5-wood.

Pro V1: The ball departs higher than the others and lands softly. It is great fun to attack greens from a lager distance or to lay up for attacking the green with the next shot. The Pro V1 holds the green perfectly. Technically impure executed shots are penalized with unpleasant surprises and she might get wet or dirty or lost quicker than others.

Pro V1X: Maybe the area where the X glares the most. It seems that with the higher swing speeds of hybrids and woods she releases her entire energy. With a boring trajectory and good amount of spin the ball darts towards the landing area to stop on the green within few yards from the pitch mark.

B330: Again, very comparable to the Pro V1X. Outstanding performance in the wind and absolutely sufficient stopping-power on the green. I had to get used to the fact that the B330 is longer than the others and overshot the green two or three times. Not a bad thing when you get some extra yards on a long par 4.

B330-S: A mid-high trajectory, a remarkable but not excessive amount of spin to stop quickly, paramount in windy conditions and easy to shape left or right. She has all the positive aspects of the Pro V1 but is less vulnerable to technical impure executed shots.

B330-RX: Due to lower spin the ball flies easily, safely and mainly straight on a mid trajectory towards the target. I never had the feeling that something could go wrong hitting this ball with woods and hybrids. The downside is that she needs room to roll out after landing and shot-shaping isn’t as easy as with the other balls. The safest go-to ball during my testing.

B330-RXS: Comparable to the B330-S she starts higher than the others (except Pro V1) and with a good and sufficient amount of spin to hold the greens more than well. In windy conditions the RXS performs smartly. Distance wasn’t an issue but she’s shorter than B330, B330-S or Pro V1X.

Driving

Remark: 10.5* driver. Over here in Europe accuracy, fairway-hits and bringing the ball into play is often more important than sheer length as the fairways are narrower and the rough definitely lives up to its name (see British Open – you definitely do not want your drive to land in the knee-deep thicket….)

Pro V1: Medium-high ball flight, good distance, o.k. roll. Easy to work to ball but reacts also undesirably strong on (unwanted) fades/slices, draws/hooks such as for wind. Not the longest ball as her core-qualities shine closer to the pin.

Pro V1X: Lower launch than the Pro V1 due to lower spin. Long. By far longer than her sister and she holds the line very good. A huge amount of roll, mainly on hard fairways. Relatively easy to control and cuts through the wind nicely.

B330: Mid launch and low spin means this ball is really long and straight and easy to control. . The longest of all balls in the test. Not the easiest ball to shot shapes but that’s not what she’s made for. Cuts through the wind like a blade.

B330-S: Higher launching than the B330, she stays in the air really long, holds her line and delivers great distance. Definitely longer than the Pro V1 and if not playing on superfast tarred fairways also a tad longer than the Pro V1X due to longer carry. Wind wasn’t an issue.

B330-RX: More a mid-level launch with long carry and a not to bad roll. Distance wise on par with the Pro V1. Behaves fantastic in windy conditions and flies ruler-straight to the target.

B330-RXS: Higher launch than the B330, RX or Pro V1X, comparable with the B330-S. Easy to work the ball with no issues in windy conditions and barely vulnerable to sidespin. Not quite as longs as the B330 but close to the B330-S.

Durability

Remark: To be fair I kept in mind that tour balls with an Urethane cover for a softer feel and more spin are not as durable as Surlyn-covered distance balls.

Pro V1: Some visible wear with woods and irons but my re-sharpened Taylor Made RAC TP wedges chew on her and shred off some of the cover.

Pro V1X: Same as for the Pro V1 but with less damage.

B330: No shredding or shearing or peeling off. Only slight visible wear.

B330-S: No shredding or shearing or peeling off. Only slight visible wear.

B330-RX: No shredding or shearing or peeling off. Only slight visible wear.

B330-RXS: No shredding or shearing or peeling off. Only slight visible wear.

Overall

Pro V1: A ball like a very powerful sports car with manual gear change. With a decent and mature technique as well as sufficient experience and know how to drive her she’s performing excellently. Not the longest but when going for the green she really shines. But she’s a bit itchy every now and then, unforgiving when hit poorly and penalizes you immediately and harder than the others. In the feel department not in a class on her won but probably the best. Durability is still not really convincing.

Pro V1X: A kind of overall-feel-good-ball, mainly for a player with a swing speed above average which allows releasing her cumulative energy. Really long off of the tee, confident-inspiring from the fairway and on approaches, with a good amount of spin attacking the green as well as around it and comfortable and reliable to putt with. Feel-wise the “hardest” ball, yes, but still enjoyable. Durability is quite o.k.

B330: Simply put: The longer, softer, more durable and less expensive alternative to the Pro V1X. A great ball.

B330-S: Long from the tee with great feel and response, superb but not exuberant spin and workable and durable. The B330-S convinced me in every single area, excels in the short game doesn’t show any weakness and great durability.

B330-RX: An easy to hit and long almost-tour-level ball for a wide range of amateurs. You cannot go wrong with this ball when you do not want / cannot handle too much spin and if your game is not fully achieved yet. Maybe a tiny bit pricy for what she delivers but she seems to last forever and as long as she won’t get lost playable the entire season.

B330-RXS: The softer and spinier version of the RX, the smaller sister of the B330-S. Very good distance off the tee, great accuracy and with superb abilities around the green. On the green there’s something magical with this ball as she comes with an inbuilt magnet. Great durability.

Conclusion

Titleists Pro Vs might have been the reference and high-flyer for a decade or so. But there are new kids on the block and the Bridgestones really deliver. The most pleasant aspect: with all Bridgestones there’s not trade-off between feel and durability and with the S-models I do not have to give up spin for distance vice versa.

Not having a distinct brand preference I made my decision and the Bridgestone B330-S found a permanent place in my bag as she performs greatly and suits my game best:

• Long from the tee
  • Long and straight but still workable with woods, hybrids, irons and wedges
  • Superb but not excessive and therefore controllable spin
  • Versatile and predictable around the green
  • True rolling combined with great feel on the green
  • Mid-high trajectory for longer carry
  • Admirable in windy conditions
  • Soft feeling and responsive with all clubs
  • Extremely durable
  • Less cost-intensive than the Pro Vs

Interestingly the Bridgestone technician at their B-Fit chat recommended me this ball, too, when I contacted them after my tests. And this despite the fact that my driver swing speed is slightly below the 105 mph recommended for this ball.

Update 12/12/2013 – Ball Compression / Cover Softness

As I posted above “feel” is an important factor during my ball selection. So I was surfing the net to find out more regarding overall compression and cover softness of the different balls and how they interrelate.

As a reference I took the Pro V1, indexed with 100 for compression & 100 for cover softness. All other balls are directly related to the Pro V1.

Example: Ball X 95 / 107 means ball X has a 5% lower compression and 7% higher cover softness.

And here are the results (without final guarantee, of course, as I refer to second hand data):

Pro V1: 100 / 100

Pro V1X: 113 / 100

B330: 106 / 100

B330 S: 105 / 99

B330 RX: 88 / 104

B330 RXS: 88 / 98

As you can see the cover softness of all balls is very comparable, only the RX is a bit less soft.

Regarding compression the Pro V1X is significantly harder than all other balls, B330 and B330S are a wee bit harder (or less soft) than the Pro V1 while RX and RXS are dramatically softer than all other balls.

I hope my review was interesting and look forward to hearing about your experience or to answer any of your questions.

UPDATE BRIDGESTONE 2014 MODELS:

B330:

Feel: The shorter the club the better I felt that the new version has a softer cover. Really a pleasure to play her around and on the green and real improvement compared to the previous model as the B330 was a bit too hard for me.

Performance driver / woods / long irons: With the same characteristics as the previous model. This means that the B330 remains a beast with the driver, woods and longer irons. Great distance, as always.

Performance around / on the green: Amazingly more green side spin and control than with the previous model. I am really impressed.

B330 S:

Feel: Same goes for the B330 S as for the B330 – if feels noticeable softer.

Performance driver / woods / long irons: It seems that they injected a bit of the B330 DNA into the new S-model which means that the already long B330 S became even longer while the flight characteristics remained the same.

Performance around / on the green: The new S produces great but always controllable spin, just like in the past. A big improvement was playing her with the flat stick: In the past I always had the impression that she was a bit shorter with the putter compared to other premium balls. Not anymore.

B330 RX:

Feel: It feels a little bit harder than the previous model. Which is not a bad thing at all because…

Performance driver / woods / longs irons: …lower spin off of the tee and longer distance. She was always straight and not short in the past and remained straight but increased distance. .

Performance around / on the green: The RX has never been a spin-monster around the green. But why change something that suits a lot of amateurs (and LPGA players)? I found her a bit more responsive around the green but she remains absolutely reliable and predictable.

B330 RXS:

Feel: While the cover seems to be a tad harder the ball as such feels a tiny little bit softer.

Performance driver / woods / long irons: What goes for the S goes also for the RXS: less spin off of the tee results in longer distance. She’s clearly longer than the previous model.

Performance around / on the green: Nothing that I would miss compared to the previous model. Sometimes I had the impression to get a bit more greenside spin. Putting (with the a bit harder cover) was pleasant and I got a bit more feedback on the green.

Overall:

B330: As long as always, but a little bit softer and with more spin around the green

B330 S: Great spin as in the past, but longer than the previous model, also on the green.

B330 RX: Longer from the tee, more responsive around the green

B330 RXS: Longer from the tee with the same characteristics around the green.

Conclusion:

I’m glad that Bridgestone did not revolutionize their greatly performing Tour B330-Series for 2014. But there’s a clear evolution compared with the previous models.

Does an upgrade to the 2014 models make sense:

Absolutely! Just make sure that you play both, the B330 and the B330 S, if you played one of them in the past. There’s still a noticeable difference between them but they are getting closer. While I could not imagine the play the B330 in the past it became more than just an option.

How to they compare to Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1X:

Broadly speaking: I perceived the Bridgestone’s already better last year but with the new models the advantages are even more obvious to me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outstanding write up. I haven't played the 330-S, but I played the ProV1 and ProV1x for a long time and recently switched to the B330 Tour. My findings are spot on with yours, every single aspect. The B330 Tour is basically a ProV1x with a better feel off of the putter and more consistent, with a lower price tag. The B330 Tour is in my bag now for a long time to come. Thanks for the write up.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1385913478' post='8232672']
Outstanding write up. I haven't played the 330-S, but I played the ProV1 and ProV1x for a long time and recently switched to the B330 Tour. My findings are spot on with yours, every single aspect. The B330 Tour is basically a ProV1x with a better feel off of the putter and more consistent, with a lower price tag. The B330 Tour is in my bag now for a long time to come. Thanks for the write up.
[/quote]

Thank you! Yes, the B330 is very close to the Pro V1X. Or do we have to say that the Pro V1X is close to the B330 as the Bridgestone seems to be the “better” ball?
The B330-S is close to the B330 – a bit higher launching and with a bit more helpful spin when the green is in sight without giving up too much distance. I lost a few yards compared to the B330, maybe 6-8. I can live with that. The overall feeling playing the S is similar. A pleasure to game her!

[quote name='gussie' timestamp='1385926848' post='8233312']
Great review
Gotta agree with bridgestone b330 series being a better ball
I rotate between b330 and b330s models depending on weather conditions here in ireland
Going with b330 on warm days.
Love the feel and flight from both balls
[/quote]

I am with you, totally. On warmer days the B330 performs close to the B330-S and easily makes a few extra yards on top. The main reason why I chose the S over the B330 are:

- - We regularly get some rain here, also in summer, so the fairways are never highway-like and ideal for lots of roll. The S delivers a bit more advantageous carry under these conditions.

- - I mainly play at an altitude of 1500 feet or slightly higher, so I get more distance anyway and don’t need the extra yards from the B330.

But I totally agree that the B330 might be a very good alternative when it’s getting hot out there.

[quote name='LOVE4LPGA' timestamp='1385926298' post='8233284']
Great second post, Backtees. Even if someone disagreed with YOUR final choice, they have a lot of information worthy of digestion.
[/quote]

Thx a lot. Yes, for my game the S suits me best.

The biggest advantage during my test might have been that none of the two brands were a lovemark for me. I had no brand-preference so i started my testing from a very neutral point. Otherwise the outcome might have been different as we all don't ever trusts statistics and results that we haven't falsified or bent to a certain outcome ourselves, right?!

Great job, well thought out with respect to the two golf ball lines. I play the B330RX most of the time my self. On days that the swing is in great shape during the season I will play the B330 on occasion. Have played the Titleist offerings and they are great balls, just that the price keeps rising on them. I can find the Bridgestone balls at some great price points right now. Do keep in mind that Bridgestone is revamping the B330 line for 2014, hopefully they keep the balls they have only make them better.

Gil Leonard

[quote name='gpleonard' timestamp='1385987008' post='8235984']
Great job, well thought out with respect to the two golf ball lines. I play the B330RX most of the time my self. On days that the swing is in great shape during the season I will play the B330 on occasion. Have played the Titleist offerings and they are great balls, just that the price keeps rising on them. I can find the Bridgestone balls at some great price points right now. Do keep in mind that Bridgestone is revamping the B330 line for 2014, hopefully they keep the balls they have only make them better.
[/quote]

Thank you!

Absolutely, the RX is a terrific all around ball and it worked greatly when the greens were softer or when it was a bit wet in general. In terms of holding the greens: the further north you live the more RX, I’d say. And the further south the more S / RXS.

Yes, I read that Bridgestone will re-engineer their B330-line. That the B330 edition 2014 might be longer, softer and with a bit more spin. Sounds a bit like they found the Holy Grail….

What comes to mind: If they make the B330 softer and spinier, what are they going to do with the already softer and spinier B330-S?

They won’t leave it the way it is right now because then the two balls would be too close to each other. So they would have to soften the S, too (to make it harder does not make sense). Z-Star like? FG Tour like?

But this would mean that they would leave the field of the “harder” balls (Z-Star XV, HEX Black, Pro V1X, FG X etc.) to all the others.

Either way I hope that Bridgestone will not tinker too much with the existing setup as the current line suits a lot of us weekend warriors.

Great post! Very accurate and useful information. I have played Pro V1 many times and find I do not have the skill and consistency to take advantage of it's spin characteristics. Bridgestone RXS works well for me except that it is a little shorter of the driver. ( I have too much backspin with the driver) Pro V1X and RX are my best choices as both are about 10 yards longer off the driver than the other balls reviewed. As well they don't get me in trouble when my game is a little off. Pro V1X stops very close to pitch mark while RXS runs out a little. Both very predictable and enjoyable to play for me.

Thanks again for confirming what I thought I knew.

Thanks for the comprehensive testing and great review!

I play ProV X right now but have in the past used the B330. While I agree that the B330 is a little longer and less spinny that the ProV X I did find it noticeably firmer and clicky feeling. That worked fine on early season green speeds but once they got faster I went back to Titleists. Did Bridgestone change the feel of the 330 recently? If they managed to soften it a bit then I will need to revisit and do my own Pro V x vs 330 shoot out!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

B330 provided great distance from tee, predictable from irons, a bit firm on putts (I could adjust no problem) but was absolutely not up to par with shots around the green. I felt it did not respond well to the skip/check type shots I like to play and, overall, spun less than I like with less than full shots. I will definitely give the B330-S a try though. To be fair, I have been favoring the Pro V1 over the V1x recently for its increased spin, minus the negligible loss of distance.

The B330 is still a fine ball though, in the warmer months I might give it another go but for what I am trying to do with my game currently just not a great option.

Titleist 913D2 8.5 Fuji Fuel TS 70X
913 FD 13.5 D+ 82 X
Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
714 MB/CB PX 6.0 HS
Stainless Newport Beach/Circa 62 No. 2
Titleist 54.08 & Mizzy 60.06

Did some experimenting with a buddy on the course the other day, finally got some good exposure to the B330-S, more time spent with the Z-Star XV, both against the trusty Pro V1. Note that it was sub 50 degrees for this little comparison trial we held (43ish when we teed off), that's why the softer compression balls performed just a bit better overall. My buddy is a big Pro V1x guy and I have been favoring the V1 in recent months.

Let me preface this with the personal opinion of: the Z Star XV is the best ball on the market not a Pro V1 (or X). I have long thought it is the best wind ball going. It's longer than a V1 or V1x. It spins a nice amount, without trying to come back 20 feet. Bang for buck, love the XV.

Now, my previous post knocked the B330 for its lack of spin on less than full wedge shots and other shots in/around the green. The B330-S, for me, showed strength in those areas of weakness I found in the B330. Great off the tee and iron shots, holds it's line great in a breeze, and has all that touch around the green I am looking for. Off the putter it was still on the firmer side, but that is something I can quickly adjust for, and I do think it putts great. I think that this ball is the best bang for buck deal going. I could play this ball exclusively and be quite happy.

Bridgestone and Srixon have some great options. Especially considering the price you can often find them in comparison to the Titleist offerings.

Titleist 913D2 8.5 Fuji Fuel TS 70X
913 FD 13.5 D+ 82 X
Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
714 MB/CB PX 6.0 HS
Stainless Newport Beach/Circa 62 No. 2
Titleist 54.08 & Mizzy 60.06

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='smiley9929' timestamp='1386896857' post='8291811']
Lots of great data and feel information so thank you for that!

I've played many of those balls plus some Z Star and Callaway balls and always return to the Pro V1X for some reason.

Must be mental.
[/quote]

Yeah, so did I - at the beginning I played them side to side to HEX Black and Chrome. I found the HEX Black the spinniest ball 150 yards in and mainly around the green while I found that the Chrome is as well a great all-around ball, a great value for the price besides that.

How would you rate the Z Star compared to the others, what was your experience?

This is an outstanding review and test.
I am primarily a pro v1X player these days having moved from the Srixon XV this season although I have been using a Chrome+ quite a lot in practice rounds testing it against the pro v1X and the XV. (the chrome+ is a nice ball but doesn't make the grade in strong winds, although that's another story).

I have been interested in trying the Bridgestone RXS for some time, and after reading this comprehensive review I have now played 3 X 18 holes side by side with the above mentioned balls. I would normally play more rounds before sharing my opinion but for this RXS, 3 rounds is enough for me to say it doesn't cut it.

I found it a little lower launching off the driver than the pro v1X, Srixon XV and Callaway chrome +, but distance wise its pretty good and doesn't really lose a lot to the others balls, maybe 4 or 5 yards and I could live with that.
Irons are very good with the RXS and it is also very good in the wind.
But the real issue I have with the RXS is that for a ball that was designed to spin.........it doesn't.

I found that on a full 6, 7,8, 9 and wedges that a sweetly stuck shot will roll out maybe 3 to 4 yards where the other balls will sit down pretty good in 1-2 yards.
Not good enough for me with a ball that is marketed to spin.

On another matter; I have already commended you on an excellent review "backtees" however I might suggest for the chipping test you might include your 56 and 60 for this. I am assuming you included some lobs and cut lobs in your test, but I don't see how you could make any real conclusions with just a PW and and 8 iron. Perhaps the PW and 8 iron are fine for a chip and run, but it leaves a heaps of shots around the greens untested.
I am tempted to try the 330 S, but if you are saying that it spins similar to the RXS I wont bother.

I am with you, ashortgame, regarding the point that the RXS didn't spin as distinctly as one could imagine based on how the balls is marketed.
I also expected more spin and was surprised that she did spin, but not as pronounced as I thought she would.
On the other hand the B330-S generates noticeably more spin than “her smaller sister” the RXS.

Are you more a sweeper than a digger? This might explain why you seemed to generate significantly less spin than I did.

Chipping / pitching: yes, I included lobs and flops, but from a pitching distance and out of the bunker. Chipping was old-school-chipping....

[quote name='ashortgame' timestamp='1388134784' post='8353645']
This is an outstanding review and test.
I am primarily a pro v1X player these days having moved from the Srixon XV this season although I have been using a Chrome+ quite a lot in practice rounds testing it against the pro v1X and the XV. (the chrome+ is a nice ball but doesn't make the grade in strong winds, although that's another story).

I have been interested in trying the Bridgestone RXS for some time, and after reading this comprehensive review I have now played 3 X 18 holes side by side with the above mentioned balls. I would normally play more rounds before sharing my opinion but for this RXS, 3 rounds is enough for me to say it doesn't cut it.

I found it a little lower launching off the driver than the pro v1X, Srixon XV and Callaway chrome +, but distance wise its pretty good and doesn't really lose a lot to the others balls, maybe 4 or 5 yards and I could live with that.
Irons are very good with the RXS and it is also very good in the wind.
But the real issue I have with the RXS is that for a ball that was designed to spin.........it doesn't.

I found that on a full 6, 7,8, 9 and wedges that a sweetly stuck shot will roll out maybe 3 to 4 yards where the other balls will sit down pretty good in 1-2 yards.
Not good enough for me with a ball that is marketed to spin.

On another matter; I have already commended you on an excellent review "backtees" however I might suggest for the chipping test you might include your 56 and 60 for this. I am assuming you included some lobs and cut lobs in your test, but I don't see how you could make any real conclusions with just a PW and and 8 iron. Perhaps the PW and 8 iron are fine for a chip and run, but it leaves a heaps of shots around the greens untested.
I am tempted to try the 330 S, but if you are saying that it spins similar to the RXS I wont bother.
[/quote]

Try the 330S…if you can't spin it, you can't spin a ball. Good in the wind even with the spin.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

This write up is incredible. I play the Pro V1x consistantly. I love the feel and how it plays. My buddy, switched from the Pro v1 to the Nike 20xi this year and he loves it. He has a slower swing than myself but also plays a little better on the green.

Nike Covert Driver 8.5 Left
Ping i20 3W
Nike VR Pro Hybrid 2 Iron
Callaway Razr X HL Irons 4-Gap
Taylormade Z Spin wedges 52,58
Taylormade White Hot Putter

• 2 months later...

Excellent post this one! I have been playing the B330-S, am definately a digger. 330-S definately spins! I have tried the RXS last time out, but it is difficult to compare as the greens are starting to firm up at this time of year in the UK. The biggest difference that I can tell between the Bridgestone 330-s / RXS and Pro-V1 is that the Bridgestones seem to be more durable. The Pro-V1's cover seems to shred, scuff and mark easier than the Bridgestones.

A great thread. Thanks for digging it up. I have hit the 2014 B-330 and like the feel very much. I played the B-330S most of last year and may play it again this year, but the new B-330 is right there. I also am interested in the SR2 and, to a lesser extent, the SR3. I would like to hear from others if the 2014 balls changes anyone's mind or reconfirms their earlier comments.

[quote name='Ali' timestamp='1395414684' post='8918053']
Excellent post this one! I have been playing the B330-S, am definately a digger. 330-S definately spins! I have tried the RXS last time out, but it is difficult to compare as the greens are starting to firm up at this time of year in the UK. The biggest difference that I can tell between the Bridgestone 330-s / RXS and Pro-V1 is that the Bridgestones seem to be more durable. The Pro-V1's cover seems to shred, scuff and mark easier than the Bridgestones.
[/quote]

Absolutely - I perceive the durability of the Bridgestones by far superior, too.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a very good review, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I have tried almost all of those balls as well and have the same conclusions. I also put in some of the srixon's and callways into my testing last year. The z-stars were pretty good but none of the callaways really fit with my game.

For me, the B330s was indeed the winner overall. The hangtime really stood out, it was quite unusual how long it would hang up there if I hit it right. I couldn't get any of the other balls to do anything close to that, and the feel / check on the greens was also suitable for me.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]