Adams brand recognition

Fade to Black

[quote name='kwooten31' timestamp='1386795551' post='8284801']
[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1386793503' post='8284645']
[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1386791700' post='8284545']
But are we here in GolfWRX not savvy enough to know that rankings should have no effect on whether the equipment is good or not? Its an indictment of budget, not quality. Why would you not play something that may be perfect for you just because it says Adams on it and not Mizuno/Titleist/Ping etc?
[/quote]

First of all, you didn't answer my question at all. But, since I actually answer people's questions, I will answer yours: Yes, at Golfwrx we are savvy enough to know that rankings don't matter, but wasn't your original question why the brand doesn't have more recognition? People have given multiple good answers: brand perception, marketing (in particular their lack of touring pros), resale value etc. So, hasn't your question been answered? You seem determined to show that these supposed "reasons" are bad ones, and you might be right, but the market is what it is, and if you wanted an explanation for Adams' place in the market, I think you have received it. Think about it like this: What factors help or hurt a golf OEM company's success in general? Quality of products, marketing, management, etc. We have eliminated quality as a possibly reason why they wouldn't sell well (because most agree that Adams does make top notch stuff). So, if its not the product itself, it's probably the marketing, right?
[/quote]
We have to hook up this spring and play a round, I enjoy most of your posts and you seem like a decent guy, rounds on me this spring....
[/quote]

For sure man, sounds like fun.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1386790585' post='8284445']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1386789208' post='8284347']
[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1386779100' post='8283339']
[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1386778975' post='8283329']
Quick, name a pro who plays Adams.
[/quote]
Are you a pro?
[/quote]

Badds - Not a tough question
[/quote]

World ranking - 186.

Name a succesful PGA pro who plays Adams
[/quote]

I get what you're (trying) to say, but that wasn't the question - Yani Tseng has done okay...granted she's a female and I know the penchant of focusing only on the male players and all - But just for fun, let's take your "logical" argument - that being some loose connection between world ranking and equipment - to it's logical end -

Top 10 in the world - Nike, Titleist, Callway, TM, Callaway, Nike, Bridgestone, Titleist, Titleist, Bridgestone

If you're trying to suggest it's hard for people to name a "top tier" PGA tour player who reps Adams, I think we all get what you're going for...but 3 of the top 10 play Titliest and 2 of the top 10 play Bridgestone -

Honestly, I'm not sure this line of thinking really tells us much other than some brands are much more recognized by the masses than others - but that, if an of itself, isn't anything we didn't already know -

Marketing guy here, a few notes:

- Consumers, and especially golfers, are fickle
- [size=4]Brand perception is very hard to change [/size]
[size=4]- Brand loyalty is rampant in golf with all the companies that have been around forever[/size]
[size=4]- across the board Adams full line offering is not as solid as the other major OEM's[/size]
[size=4]- I think Adams are overpriced vs. the majors, there must be a lower price point they'd be better starting out at [/size]
[size=4]- they need to find their niche and work hard at [/size][size=4]it[/size]
[size=4]- more custom options need to exist [/size]
[size=4]- Customer service not up to par with Ping and Callaway[/size]

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='kwooten31' timestamp='1386795212' post='8284781']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386794576' post='8284729']
[quote name='Dr.John' timestamp='1386794205' post='8284703']
I think it's safe today that high profile tour players aren't playing their present equipment soley because it performs better than other manufacturers offerings. Look at the number of players every year who jump ship from Titleist, TM, or Callaway only to fill their bag with another high profile manufacturer. Is it because of higher quality equipment? Of course not. They follow the money, we all know that. Rory ,as an example, signed with Nike because Nike offered more money than Titleist, end of story. Adams, does not offer high dollar endorsement contracts like TM, Callaway, or even Titleist. Therefore, they lack big name presense on tour. However, on the Senior tour, Adams has a very large presence. Why? Because the big name companies aren't offering big money contracts to very many senior players. So, they generally play what they feel allows them to play best. You'll see alot of older model irons and woods on the senior tour for this reason, and yes, plenty of Adams irons and woods in the bags. So, I feel it isn't wise to assume lack of presence on a tour where most of the high profile players are payed to play a specific brand is indicitive of the quality of the equipment. You'd be better served to see what the players are playing when not being paid to play a specific brand. Just my thoughts.
[/quote] When I was working at Bandon, I got to see what equipment the visiting pro's bagged off season....not what they got paid to play while on regular tour season.
[/quote]
Well come on, tell us please!
[/quote] Crenshaw when in the area, Beck, Byrum, the week before I left Tway came to play.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Also add to the fact that there exists the biased point of view of a homer that games ...say....all Ping and some vokey wedges...You won't get a factual perspective. Premium Adams players irons and gi sets are made with high quality steel...add to that innovative designs, a lot of classic designs and quality shafts (kbs, project x, dynalight etc...) and the price sets itself. Marketing is one thing and the end product is in and of itself a different machine. Adams doesn't have to sell itself...reputation alone does it for them.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff
Wilson Staff 15* FW stiff
Wilson Staff D-100 19* hy
Adams CB3 4-GW KBS stock/stiff
Wilson Harmonized M3 putter/35"
Carbite 56* SW / Carbite TS 60* LW

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1386798495' post='8285051']
Adams head, made in Vietnam, shaft, made in Vietnam, assembled in Vietnam. I will not pay good money for this crap.
[/quote]

With the assumption being that the quality is crap because it is not made in America?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I think it is mostly perception. Anyone how says that Adam's is "middle of the pack" as far as quality and technology is ignorant. Even some of their newer box sets include their normal line of clubs.

I played Bridgestone J33cb's for 6 years before i started playing college golf. I then decided that this past fall was the time to get new irons with conforming grooves for the spring season. I hit every iron that i could get my hands on...
- 712 AP2/CB/MB
- J40 CB/DPC
- TP MC/MB
- VR Pro
- S56/Anser
- CMB

I knew from a prior fitting that c-tapers were the best for for my swing, so when possible i tried the irons with c-tapers (all but the J40 and VR). The only iron that really blew me away were the CMB. I played a few holes with just the 4 and 7 iron demos immediately texted my rep my order.

When i set them down next to my J33s it was like coming home. IMO they have near AP2 forgiveness with a softer feel.
Two of my buddies have 712 AP2/C-taper combos and they said that they prefer my CMBs to their AP2's.

People just need to give then a chance.

However I do think that changing their logo was a poor move, the new logo does look a little old.

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1386798495' post='8285051']
Adams head, made in Vietnam, shaft, made in Vietnam, assembled in Vietnam. I will not pay good money for this crap.
[/quote]
[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1386799080' post='8285141']
My Adams were made in a foundry in China just like Titleist, TM and Nikes...lolll
[/quote]
[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1386799001' post='8285127']
Also add to the fact that there exists the biased point of view of a homer that games ...say....all Ping and some vokey wedges...You won't get a factual perspective. Premium Adams players irons and gi sets are made with high quality steel...add to that innovative designs, a lot of classic designs and quality shafts (kbs, project x, dynalight etc...) and the price sets itself. Marketing is one thing and the end product is in and of itself a different machine. Adams doesn't have to sell itself...reputation alone does it for them.
[/quote]

Also Adam's stock shaft and grip offerings are phenomenal... In irons you can get C-Taper, KBS Tour, Tour 90, and Dynamic Gold for no upcharge

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I still have my set of Tour PVD Pro Gold irons. Great set with a fantastic sole grind. 8620 forged, however, which just doesn't match up to the forgings of others I have tried. Until they start doing carbon forged offerings for irons, for the segment of irons I'm interested in, I'll continue to look elsewhere. I have no idea/expectations for Adams these days. Sadly, I get that sneaking feeling they are on the way out under TM ownership. Just too much overlap.

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1386799080' post='8285141']
My Adams were made in a foundry in China just like Titleist, TM and Nikes...lolll
[/quote] My MB2's made @ China's Virage Tech's new plant they are honey's.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Even their cheaper tight lies line ....the 1208s with the classic cavity back and normal 4 and 5 irons...not the combo sets like the A7os are high quality sets cast in 431 stainless. I have some 1208s I got cheap on ebay 4-gw uniflex steel that hit almost...I said almost as well as my CB3s...the feel in the CB3s is what sets it apart. A forged cavity back made with 8620 is the only way to rock..well not only but I like it.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386783018' post='8283755']
Adams does not have the advertising budget nor staff to compete for air and paper space with the likes of [b]TaylorMade[/b],Titleist etc.... That however does not hamper the reasearch and development of their procucts. Their irons, drivers and hybrids are quality made.Products are as popular as the advertising behind them, look at the automobile industry as an example. Peer pressure is a given here also. Most twenty somthings won't associate themseives with Adams for sake of appearances. (play whats popular syndrome) Like the above post I switched from a major "brand" to Adams (before the merger) for all the right reasons. As pro's playing Adams, check the web page.
[/quote]

Adams is owned by Taylormade.

This has been a strange thread I must say. I love Adams and think they have made some killer stuff over the last few years, and agree that anyone who says it has inferior quality is just wrong. However, I am not sure I agree that people on this site unfairly trash them. I hear about Adams clubs on this site more than anywhere else on the internet and its not even close. Anyone who was following this stuff in 2012 on here remembers when the CMB's came out that they were a MONSTER hit on this site. I cannot remember an iron getting as much praise as the club on here in a while (maybe until the MP64 came out). And the praise was well-deserved: The CMB's were long, accurate, felt great, looked great, and had awesome stock options for shaft and grip (C Taper and NMDC). Earlier in 2012, the XTD Ti series was being recognized on here as the longest out there (and it was, it killed the RBZ, although it may not be a fair comparison because one was Ti and another steel). Both of these clubs were great clubs and got a lot of deserved positive attention on here. Among the general public, not much buzz though.

Then in 2013 they released the S and LS series and a few things changed: the white color (obvious a very divisive issue), the graphics (especially on the S), and, quite frankly, I just think that Cally and TMAG caught up to them in distance with the RBZ2 and Xhot. So the S/LS clubs weren't as big of a hit here. But I still think they were good clubs, just not as transcendent as the CMB's and XTD.

What I am saying is, I actually think on this board Adams gets a fair shake. Anywhere else, I 100% agree that Adams is unfairly pigeonholed, but if anyone is implying that golfwrx isn't objectively evaluating Adams for the most part, I respectfully disagree.

Although Adams is owned by TM and more importantly Adidas...they still operate as separate entities. If they ever decided to merge it would more than likely piss off both loyalists and there would be patent ownership issues etc,.. if anything, they did it the right way even though TM did it in an attempt to monopolize the golf equipment industry. Adams has their own budget and TM has their own resources...... Although I think they do swap engineers from time to time loll

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[quote name='AaronS' timestamp='1386796506' post='8284903']

[b]Talking about re-sale value in golf clubs is so laughable.[/b] Adams makes top notch equipment and I see plenty of great players bagging them. Putters through the driver.

[/quote]

Based on the context, no. And the OP made a point to emphasize the forum-collective mentality. It is not laughable when you are asking these questions (quoted from the OP) in a [b]golf-gear forum[/b], where [b]resale value is a behavioral driver:[/b]

[quote]

[color=#282828]Why don't more people play Adams irons? ...[b] I almost never see anyone on these boards playing them.[/b][/color]
[color=#282828]Why are they so low on the proverbial totem pole of clubs compared to the other companies?[/color]
[color=#282828]Or their brand name has a connotation with something "negative" (cheap or SGI?)? Are their products not that good?[/color]

[/quote]

Ask the same questions just outside of a Dicks or Big Five store, then you are correct, it would sound very odd, indeed. Average Joe playing less than fifteen full rounds a year is probably not resale aware.

What is a more interesting critique, and it has been made already, is the unwillingness of the OP to accept the information provided. It is almost as if the OP is trying to psyche himself into an Adams Golf purchase. Is someone needing our validation to buy Adams Golf gear. Would you find that laughable?

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386797818' post='8285015']
[quote name='kwooten31' timestamp='1386795212' post='8284781']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386794576' post='8284729']
[quote name='Dr.John' timestamp='1386794205' post='8284703']
I think it's safe today that high profile tour players aren't playing their present equipment soley because it performs better than other manufacturers offerings. Look at the number of players every year who jump ship from Titleist, TM, or Callaway only to fill their bag with another high profile manufacturer. Is it because of higher quality equipment? Of course not. They follow the money, we all know that. Rory ,as an example, signed with Nike because Nike offered more money than Titleist, end of story. Adams, does not offer high dollar endorsement contracts like TM, Callaway, or even Titleist. Therefore, they lack big name presense on tour. However, on the Senior tour, Adams has a very large presence. Why? Because the big name companies aren't offering big money contracts to very many senior players. So, they generally play what they feel allows them to play best. You'll see alot of older model irons and woods on the senior tour for this reason, and yes, plenty of Adams irons and woods in the bags. So, I feel it isn't wise to assume lack of presence on a tour where most of the high profile players are payed to play a specific brand is indicitive of the quality of the equipment. You'd be better served to see what the players are playing when not being paid to play a specific brand. Just my thoughts.
[/quote] When I was working at Bandon, I got to see what equipment the visiting pro's bagged off season....not what they got paid to play while on regular tour season.
[/quote]
Well come on, tell us please!
[/quote] Crenshaw when in the area, Beck, Byrum, the week before I left Tway came to play.
[/quote]
Very cool, you had to have had a blast being able to meet those fellas...

TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°
Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey

[quote name='LOVE4LPGA' timestamp='1386803043' post='8285435']
[quote name='AaronS' timestamp='1386796506' post='8284903']

[b]Talking about re-sale value in golf clubs is so laughable.[/b] Adams makes top notch equipment and I see plenty of great players bagging them. Putters through the driver.

[/quote]

Based on the context, no. And the OP made a point to emphasize the forum-collective mentality. It is not laughable when you are asking these questions (quoted from the OP) in a [b]golf-gear forum[/b], where [b]resale value is a behavioral driver:[/b]

[quote]

[color=#282828]Why don't more people play Adams irons? ...[b] I almost never see anyone on these boards playing them.[/b][/color]
[color=#282828]Why are they so low on the proverbial totem pole of clubs compared to the other companies?[/color]
[color=#282828]Or their brand name has a connotation with something "negative" (cheap or SGI?)? Are their products not that good?[/color]

[/quote]

Ask the same questions just outside of a Dicks or Big Five store, then you are correct, it would sound very odd, indeed. Average Joe playing less than fifteen full rounds a year is probably not resale aware.

What is a more interesting critique, and it has been made already, is the unwillingness of the OP to accept the information provided. It is almost as if the OP is trying to psyche himself into an Adams Golf purchase. Is someone needing our validation to buy Adams Golf gear. Would you find that laughable?
[/quote]

What is laughable is your attempt to psychoanalyze the OP (aka me). I have no dog in this fight. I have never played Adams, nor do I foresee buying any Adams irons in the near future. I have displayed no "unwillingness" to accept the "information" provided, but merely some posed questions out of genuine interest.

I was merely posting out of curiosity. I full agree and accept the reasons given for the lack of brand recognition. But, as golfers that are more educated than the masses, I just find it peculiar that many on this website will not play Adams just because of the name, no matter how good the product may be.

You fool yourself if you think I need your, a total stranger, validation for anything. Now, if we can skip the conspiracy theories and drama, let's get back to what had proven to be a respectful, informative discussion.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1386803874' post='8285481'] But, as golfers that are more educated than the masses, I just find it peculiar that many on this website will not play Adams just because of the name, no matter how good the product may be.
[/quote]

Perhaps you should add a poll to this thread to get a measurable answer to your query. I suspect that it isn't nearly as overwhelming as you imagine the number of forum members that won't play Adams clubs for issues other than performance -- on an individual to individual basis -- or resale for those that tend to "ho" several sets a year.

You yourself have indicated that you don't play Adams and more importantly can't foresee playing them without really stating why. Perhaps your original question is more reflective of your own viewpoint than anything else.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

My current irons and fairway woods were bought from the buzz and feedback from other WRX'ers more than what the pros are playing. I bought the Adams CMB's and XTD based on the reviews and have not been happier although when I saw Robert Karlson nailing his XTD three wood 279 yards in an Adams commercial I was sold

lack of tour presence, lack of marketing......at least compared to the companies that dominate market share

Is a set of Scratch EZ1's really worse then Titleist AP1's? Would i shoot the same scores with both? Probably

Now which sells more and why?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='dieselmd' timestamp='1386777025' post='8283155']
For the longest time, Adams were and is still recognized as a company that makes great hybrids but also clubs that "old-guys" played with.
[/quote]

OK I'll admit it...my first "real" set of clubs I purchased after playing for a couple of years with hand me downs was the Adams Idea hybrid/iron combo set and Adams Redline driver and woods. And I loved them. The Redline was the first driver that I could hit. All others I tried just frustrated me. Heck I didn't even hit driver off the tee until that driver came along. But I took merciless ragging about them being "old man" clubs. And you know what happens, first time you start having trouble with them, you are looking for something else. So I switched to Callaway and haven't looked back. But I think Adams makes fine clubs. Now that I no longer give a rat's rump what people think, I wouldn't hesitate to play Adams. That is if my current stuff fell out of favor.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1386805560' post='8285621']

You yourself have indicated that you don't play Adams and more importantly can't foresee playing them without really stating why. Perhaps your original question is more reflective of your own viewpoint than anything else.
[/quote]

I don't foresee myself playing Adams or any other irons for a while, irrespective of make or brand. Happy with my current irons. Would have absolutely no problems playing them if I was looking for new irons.