Adams brand recognition

Fade to Black

I don't know about you guys but I like to demo and hit before buying. Golf adds are for high hdcp suckers that would rather stare at equipment then get out and actually play golf. Adams doesn't need validation...they validate themselves on one of the leading manufacturers in sales and ratings. Screw pro sponsorships. 99 % of the golfing public isn't a sponsored pro. I have a mixed bag so my opinion is completely unbiased.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff
Wilson Staff 15* FW stiff
Wilson Staff D-100 19* hy
Adams CB3 4-GW KBS stock/stiff
Wilson Harmonized M3 putter/35"
Carbite 56* SW / Carbite TS 60* LW

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of adds I just saw one for the new tight lies fairway woods that retail for $299.99 on the Golf Channel. Lolllll speaking of advertising #awkward

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1386806429' post='8285733']
I don't know about you guys but I like to demo and hit before buying. Golf adds are for high hdcp suckers that would rather stare at equipment then get out and actually play golf. Adams doesn't need validation...they validate themselves on one of the leading manufacturers in sales and ratings. [/quote]

Adams is NOT one of the leading manufacturers in sales....unless by leading manufacturers you're talking "top 15 in the US" which would also likely include Louisville and Alien Golf.

I may be in just a nit-picking mood today, but it astounds me that this thread changed from an honest question on why Adams is not more universally recognized to people jumping to the defense of Adams products and marketing strategy against non-existent rapscallions in this thread who are somehow besmirching their good name. Tie that also with a few people who have come in expressing their individuality and love of Adams with a "down with the marketing machine, man!" attitude.

Nope...they're actually number 6 in the US not 15 but many of their clubs are rated number 1 by golf digest. Funny you mentioned Alien....I bought one of their hybrids about 6 years ago at big 5. Pre4ty good stick.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

But I would never buy one of their combo hybrid sets because I like a traditional 4 and 5 long iron. There is a hybrid in my bag but it isn't an Adams hybrid. Fact is I have a mixed bag from Cobra to Adams to Titleist to Ping. Could really care less who makes the arrow.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1386797081' post='8284967']
[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1386790585' post='8284445']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1386789208' post='8284347']
[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1386779100' post='8283339']
[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1386778975' post='8283329']
Quick, name a pro who plays Adams.
[/quote]
Are you a pro?
[/quote]

Badds - Not a tough question
[/quote]

World ranking - 186.

Name a succesful PGA pro who plays Adams
[/quote]

I get what you're (trying) to say, but that wasn't the question - Yani Tseng has done okay...granted she's a female and I know the penchant of focusing only on the male players and all - But just for fun, let's take your "logical" argument - that being some loose connection between world ranking and equipment - to it's logical end -

Top 10 in the world - Nike, Titleist, Callway, TM, Callaway, Nike, Bridgestone, Titleist, Titleist, Bridgestone

If you're trying to suggest it's hard for people to name a "top tier" PGA tour player who reps Adams, I think we all get what you're going for...but 3 of the top 10 play Titliest and 2 of the top 10 play Bridgestone -

Honestly, I'm not sure this line of thinking really tells us much other than some brands are much more recognized by the masses than others - but that, if an of itself, isn't anything we didn't already know -
[/quote]

My terseness might come off as biting in regards to Adams. Like I said before I think Adams has great clubs. But the OP asked why they don't get the same recognition and that's because the pros who play them aren't winning with them. Pros are walking billboards and if you're not winning then people don't get exposure to the brand. People associate winning with good equipment.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

[quote name='kwooten31' timestamp='1386803330' post='8285449']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386797818' post='8285015']
[quote name='kwooten31' timestamp='1386795212' post='8284781']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386794576' post='8284729']
[quote name='Dr.John' timestamp='1386794205' post='8284703']
I think it's safe today that high profile tour players aren't playing their present equipment soley because it performs better than other manufacturers offerings. Look at the number of players every year who jump ship from Titleist, TM, or Callaway only to fill their bag with another high profile manufacturer. Is it because of higher quality equipment? Of course not. They follow the money, we all know that. Rory ,as an example, signed with Nike because Nike offered more money than Titleist, end of story. Adams, does not offer high dollar endorsement contracts like TM, Callaway, or even Titleist. Therefore, they lack big name presense on tour. However, on the Senior tour, Adams has a very large presence. Why? Because the big name companies aren't offering big money contracts to very many senior players. So, they generally play what they feel allows them to play best. You'll see alot of older model irons and woods on the senior tour for this reason, and yes, plenty of Adams irons and woods in the bags. So, I feel it isn't wise to assume lack of presence on a tour where most of the high profile players are payed to play a specific brand is indicitive of the quality of the equipment. You'd be better served to see what the players are playing when not being paid to play a specific brand. Just my thoughts.
[/quote] When I was working at Bandon, I got to see what equipment the visiting pro's bagged off season....not what they got paid to play while on regular tour season.
[/quote]
Well come on, tell us please!
[/quote] Crenshaw when in the area, Beck, Byrum, the week before I left Tway came to play.
[/quote]
Very cool, you had to have had a blast being able to meet those fellas...
[/quote] :lol: I got to within say ten feet ... as greens crew I was low on the get to know em' list.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Kind of getting all hot and bothered for Adams lately. They make good stuff. Got the hissing sound back in my balls.

Me likey.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[/quote]

Aaron Baddeley. At least he is sponsored by them, not sure what he plays. There are quite a few guys who do play Adams hybrids. For better or worse they have the market in hybrids. The same can be said about Cleveland. Great products, but they are mostly known as a wedge company, Bridgestone? Mainly for their golf balls. There are some great reveiws here on some of the Adams' irons. I had a set of CB1's but they were not as good as my Bridgestones.

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1386867435' post='8288947']
Kind of getting all hot and bothered for Adams lately. They make good stuff. Got the hissing sound back in my balls.

Me likey.
[/quote] Not. lol ... I get the same sound with my [email="MB@s"]MB2's[/email].

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1386867785' post='8288997']
[/quote]

Aaron Baddeley. At least he is sponsored by them, not sure what he plays. There are quite a few guys who do play Adams hybrids. For better or worse they have the market in hybrids. The same can be said about Cleveland. Great products, but they are mostly known as a wedge company, Bridgestone? Mainly for their golf balls. There are some great reveiws here on some of the Adams' irons. I had a set of CB1's but they were not as good as my Bridgestones.
[/quote]

Again, I am not sure what the point of bringing up Badds is to this discussion. He is number 180 something in the world, the chances of him moving the meter for the average guy buying clubs might as well be zero. That said, I agree that Adams makes excellent stuff. Where does that leave us? I think the conclusion is simple: Having high quality tour presence absolutely positively affects marketing and sales. Adams does not have this, and accordingly does not sell as many clubs as other companies with comparable quality (IE the big boys TM, Cally etc). Remember, the supposed point of this thread was to analyze WHY they don't have as much brand recognition EVEN THOUGH they make good clubs. It seems we might have at least one good answer: Not as many good staffers.

[quote name='solarbear88' timestamp='1386881148' post='8290291']
The founder of Adams was focused on making quality clubs for your average player at a decent price. There are already lots of brands for pretentous snobs.
[/quote]

Well the founder of Adams long ago changed his focus to living off the money he got for cashing in when he sold the club to some faceless conglomerate. Barney Adams' intentions have about as much to do with the brand recognition of Adams Golf today as Ben Hogan's views have on the Callaway Apex irons.

[Previous post redacted in the interest of maximizing civility, plus it was only mildly amusing at best]

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386882158' post='8290395']
No, I thought nobody could name a Tour pro who played Adams. Thanks for the heads-up.

Now if they could just get someone on the Senior Tour, preferably someone in contention at a British Open...
[/quote]

The timing of your sarcasm is spot on FoC! This thread could use a little levity about now.

:lol:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

i did not read every single post in this thread.
however, i need to chime in and say that adams make some fine clubs!
when my dad switched from a4R irons to a4 forged irons, he decided to give the a4r to one of his friends.
his friends (5 of them, they'd all hit and love a4R) were literally fighting over it, and actually started bidding money. lol!
any of their clubs that ive tried were pretty darn good.

Getting back to OPs question... Adams does little, if any ,marketing for their irons so it's no wonder hardly anyone plays them. When was the last time you've even seen an Adams iron ad ?

Like ever other OEM, Adams makes some great stuff and a few duds. But what is there to really differentiate their brand from anyone else, especially with the irons? Not much IMO, and given Adams poor resale value why would you choose Adams?

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1386889482' post='8291065']and given Adams poor resale value why would you choose Adams?
[/quote]

My a12 pro irons are great. I agree that their products don't hold value but that's a huge plus for those who enjoy Adams equipment. I spend a fraction compared to others, you just don't purchase a new set every year and newer releases right away and that applies to some other manufacturers also.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* 

Cobra Tec 19* 
Titleist 818 H1   21*
Cobra Forged Tec 2022 Kbs $ taper stiff

Titleist SM8 54*- 58* TT AMT Black s300

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s
Maxfli Tour 2023

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1386889482' post='8291065']
Getting back to OPs question... Adams does little, if any ,marketing for their irons so it's no wonder hardly anyone plays them. When was the last time you've even seen an Adams iron ad ?

Like ever other OEM, Adams makes some great stuff and a few duds. But what is there to really differentiate their brand from anyone else, especially with the irons? Not much IMO, and given Adams poor resale value why would you choose Adams?
[/quote] I sure didn't choose Adams on suspected re-sale value. How about quality, engineering, design, innovation, appearance and playability?

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1386889482' post='8291065']
and given Adams poor resale value why would you choose Adams?
[/quote]

IMO, the resale value is not a factor when it comes to purchasing a golf club.

It's a factor for cars since there is degradation and retail price is really high. It's also a factor for houses because the day you put yours for sale, there is a lot of money to be made, if you invested wisely.

A golf club? There is no real degradation except maybe to the esthetic of the club, which 95% of the time, doesn't affect it's performance. Also, a golf club is not an investment. Most of the time you are not going to make any profit on resale.

You can actually buy better and newer technology for the same money with Adams when compared to lets say Ping (nothing against Ping... Love em actually!)

Just my opinion. But I guess you don't buy your club for their resale value since from your sig I can see that you purchased a 2013 Cleveland Driver...
Unless you found a deal you just couldn't pass up! ;)

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

I was going to post something along those lines but didn't want to offend the lpga lady...lolll. Adams irons are some of the best in golf. Nobody gives a hoot about resale or even gives it a second thought when buying clubs. They care about performance and longevity. And most people, unless they're in the business of losing money wont buy new and sell the next year for the same price...they'd never sell anything as most golf equipment from every maker drops in price drastically. I just saw some brand new x hots on ebay for 200 bucks 4-AW.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

I didnt read through this whole thread so if this has been said sorry.

If you are serious about your game and dont give adams a try you are missing out.They are putting out as good if not better products that many of the big name brands.
Current Adams in my bag are the Super LS driver, A12 hybrids, and CMB irons. The tight lies will find its way in next season.

Give adams a try. You might like it.

[quote name='lsf_21' timestamp='1386901192' post='8292185']
I didnt read through this whole thread so if this has been said sorry.

If you are serious about your game and dont give adams a try you are missing out.They are putting out as good if not better products that many of the big name brands.
Current Adams in my bag are the Super LS driver, A12 hybrids, and CMB irons. The tight lies will find its way in next season.

Give adams a try. You might like it.
[/quote]

I'm jealous of your CMBs.....Sweet set up.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1386789687' post='8284393']
Barney Adams started the company in a garage in Texas back in the 80s. How long has Titleist, Cobra, Wilson, Callaway and TM been around? Selling out to TM did 2 things...shared patents and more resources for both companies. You might as well say that any pro playing the TM brand is playing Adams.
[/quote]

From a marketing standpoint, and that's what we're talking about ... Their brand ... That's a leap.