2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

World Woods Golf Club Florida

The Pearl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1389930000' post='8475779']
I assume given the pure golf nature of WW that pace of play is reasonable. Based on two 41/2 hr rounds we can get each course in on a single day, even in February. Any opinions on this?
[/quote]
Yes, you can. Just start playing early

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1389930000' post='8475779']
I assume given the pure golf nature of WW that pace of play is reasonable. Based on two 41/2 hr rounds we can get each course in on a single day, even in February. Any opinions on this?
[/quote]

yes, as mentioned above start early. It's a popular course with travelers and locals...there will always be the possibility of slow play, but in all my rounds I cannot ever remember going over 4.5 hrs.

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

[quote name='peliason' timestamp='1390014406' post='8481557']
Played today- frost delay (almost 2 hours) but got 36 in less than 8.5 hours (with lunch). Great shape, awesome golf but JV course operation. I'll be back but golf operations and customer service needs work

Great golf at a great price but rest of experience needs work.
[/quote]

It's always been that way at World Woods. I actually met the owner one day, when he was visiting from Japan. We had a long talk, through his interpreter ... I told him what a great facility he had, but what an awful "customer experience" it was. I've never seen such a facility, with such little regard for their customers and the experience.

• 2 months later...

Played World Woods Barren Pines this past Sunday. The place was fantastic. I really enjoyed the round and it was very challenging as well. The greens were some of the best I've played. Very smooth, fast and rolled very true. Will definitely be going back next Spring when we go back to the Tampa area.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Driver

Sub 70 949X - 3W

Sub 70 949X - 7W

Sub 70 600 Pro V2 Black 4-PW

Sub 70 286 Forged Wedges 50* & 56*

Sub 70 JB Forged 60*

Scotty Cameron - PhantomX 5.5

Photos of both WW courses from March. We stayed at the Villas. They were fine, but dealing with the person who books the villas was a nightmare. Very unresponsive and we ended up with keys to the wrong Villas. In the end it worked out fine and the golf was great. Layouts. conditions and pace of play all were excellent.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157643124366835/ Pine Barrens set

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157643123980023/ Rolling Oaks set

13495367803_b368bbddbc_c.jpg Pine Barrens #4 sunrise

13495293583_36642a06de_c.jpg Pine Barrens #15

13494599314_e4aec9eb0e_c.jpg Rolling Oaks #8

Such a special, special place. I've been twice and plan to go back many more times. Can't vouch for the incompetence of the staff but the golf itself is top notch...

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

WW [i]could[/i] be a special place. In it's current state, it's pathetic. The check in process, paying for range balls, surly starters, aloof beverage cart gals, etc...

I've wondered for years why they couldn't build a few modest cabins that sleep 8 guys, update the clubhouse and turn it into a MUCH nicer facility.

[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1397504227' post='9089771']
WW [i]could[/i] be a special place. In it's current state, it's pathetic. The check in process, paying for range balls, surly starters, aloof beverage cart gals, etc...

I've wondered for years why they couldn't build a few modest cabins that sleep 8 guys, update the clubhouse and turn it into a MUCH nicer facility.
[/quote]

The business realities of today's golf environment.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1397504312' post='9089797']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would buy that explanation but the place was the same dump (non golf course speaking) 8-10 years ago when everyone was building like crazy. A choice was made a LONG time ago not to put any capital into WW.

[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1397517858' post='9091603']
They did get a highway built from Tampa airport to their front door.
Be thankful for that.
[/quote]

Make that a Tollway with booths every mile it seems...but it's very convenient.

From a pure golf perspective I love WW and am willing to overlook it's flaws...the staff is hit or miss, I have had many good experiences but also some not so good. Never had a bad one on the course though.

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1397507470' post='9090261']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would buy that explanation but the place was the same dump (non golf course speaking) 8-10 years ago when everyone was building like crazy. A choice was made a LONG time ago not to put any capital into WW.
[/quote]

No one was building golf courses like crazy in the last 8-10 years, other than perhaps crazy people.

If it's about the "golf", anyone would be hard pressed to complain about the quality of golf at World Woods. The conditions are always excellent, the courses are well designed and there's never a pace of play problem. It's never been a place that was big on amenities and that's not going to change in the near future.

[quote name='T Shaf' timestamp='1397518239' post='9091657']
Be thankful for that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

God, that drives me frikin nuts. Coming out of Tampa Airport, you pay a toll, and then another toll less than 3 miles later. It's the same thing in Orlando heading to the airport. 'Damn jobs program for the politicos' buddies.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1397518576' post='9091689']
[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1397507470' post='9090261']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No one was building golf courses like crazy in the last 8-10 years, other than perhaps crazy people.

If it's about the "golf", anyone would be hard pressed to complain about the quality of golf at World Woods. The conditions are always excellent, the courses are well designed and there's never a pace of play problem. It's never been a place that was big on amenities and that's not going to change in the near future.
[/quote]

For what it's worth, they opened in 1993, and their mission statement is:

[i]"to provide the greatest experience that our guests have ever encountered at a golf facility in regard to golf course conditioning, service, professionalism and overall staff knowledge and to thereby become the [b]#1 golf facility in Florida[/b]." Recently, the mission statement has been revised from[b] "Florida" to the "USA".[/b][/i]

I didn't mind the sparseness of the facilities and we had a blast on the courses, so I've got no complaints. If less-than-stellar customer service is what keeps the price down then I'm fine with that. It's a nice contrast to Streamsong. that said, for a traveling golf vacation, it's not the type of place i'll be rushing back to year after year, unlike SS.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1397587396' post='9097969']
Be thankful for that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

God, that drives me frikin nuts. Coming out of Tampa Airport, you pay a toll, and then another toll less than 3 miles later. It's the same thing in Orlando heading to the airport. 'Damn jobs program for the politicos' buddies.
[/quote]

More like paying for our highways and one of the reasons why I don't have to pay a state income tax.

For me, I've lived in places where I would pay $5 easy to get a straight shot thru and not have to worry about traffic.

RH

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1397593470' post='9098853']
Be thankful for that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More like paying for our highways and one of the reasons why I don't have to pay a state income tax.

For me, I've lived in places where I would pay $5 easy to get a straight shot thru and not have to worry about traffic.

RH
[/quote]

Personally, I don't mind toll roads. I simply hate the fact that they build the toll plazas 3 miles apart to provide jobs to their political donors. Of course, locals have transponders, so they don't have to stop and pay cash in the late evening in the pouring rain.

It would be nice if I could use my Illinois IPass transponder when I'm visiting the state, but the A-holes down there decided that they would use a different transponder than the majority of the states that use the EZ-Pass system. I then looked to purchase of a transponder, but they $25 it. Screw that. They have a mini transponder for $5, but it can only be applied to a single car. This basically proves that the system is designed to provide jobs. They don't want to encourage the use of transponders, or they'd make it cheap and easy for out-of-staters to use them.

Finally, I have a hunch that the rental car companies are in on the racket. I went through a transponder-only toll on an exit near Disney World. No sign indicating that it was a transponder-only plaza. On top of that, they don't allow you to pay a missed toll online, unlike dozens of states. The citation is mailed to the rental car agency, and they then charge you for a "toll plan" for the full length of the rental, in addition to the missed toll(s). Frankly, it's sh*t like this that makes me consider skipping the state and spending my tourist dollars elsewhere.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1397594096' post='9098937']
[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1397593470' post='9098853']
Be thankful for that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

RH
[/quote]

Personally, I don't mind toll roads. I simply hate the fact that they build the toll plazas 3 miles apart to provide jobs to their political donors. Of course, locals have transponders, so they don't have to stop and pay cash in the late evening in the pouring rain.

It would be nice if I could use my Illinois IPass transponder when I'm visiting the state, but the A-holes down there decided that they would use a different transponder than the majority of the states that use the EZ-Pass system. I then looked to purchase of a transponder, but they $25 it. Screw that. They have a mini transponder for $5, but it can only be applied to a single car. This basically proves that the system is designed to provide jobs. They don't want to encourage the use of transponders, or they'd make it cheap and easy for out-of-staters to use them.

Finally, I have a hunch that the rental car companies are in on the racket. I went through a transponder-only toll on an exit near Disney World. No sign indicating that it was a transponder-only plaza. On top of that, they don't allow you to pay a missed toll online, unlike dozens of states. The citation is mailed to the rental car agency, and they then charge you for a "toll plan" for the full length of the rental, in addition to the missed toll(s). Frankly, it's sh*t like this that makes me consider skipping the state and spending my tourist dollars elsewhere.
[/quote]

you can always go the old way up US19 or US 41.
Only a 4 hour round trip from St. Pete. And FREE..............

Talent is the desire to practice

[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1397613080' post='9101067']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1397594096' post='9098937']

[/quote]

you can always go the old way up US19 or US 41.
Only a 4 hour round trip from St. Pete. And FREE..............
[/quote]

Oh, yes! 'And not to mention scenic. I drove from Innisbrook Resort to World Woods on US 19, and I have to say it's one of the most scenic highways in the country. Puts the Pacific Coast Highway to shame! </s>

[/quote]

WW is a special place. We had no problems in February. The gal working the pro shop register was delightful. Checked in quickly, all questions were answered. Played 36 and did not wait on a single shot. Lunch between rounds and the ladies working the grill were very nice. World class course in great shape. With the monthly VIP deal we paid about $120 each for the entire day.

I don't care about all the bells and whistles. Get me checked in, get me on the course on time, get me around there at a decent place, and have the place in good shape. If all this is done at a fair price, all the better. WW is a slice of golfing heaven.

Pine Barrens design and use of surroundings is amazing, the club house is no frills, all about the golf, played there half a dozen times this year, cant complain about $40 afternoon golfnow rates, but if i were to, it would be that the greens are SLOW.

Close by, and shorter (slightly) drive from tampa is Southern Hills Plantation (Pete Dye), rivals design with the elevation changes and the greens fair, true and fast,
you will also find the "country club" atmosphere, some of the members can be a little bit pretentious if you're a guest and they are missing greens in reg. but then again not everyone can play 7600yrds

[quote name='AlSiscoe' timestamp='1398227944' post='9149237']
Pine Barrens design and use of surroundings is amazing, the club house is no frills, all about the golf, played there half a dozen times this year, cant complain about $40 afternoon golfnow rates, but if i were to, it would be that the greens are SLOW.

Close by, and shorter (slightly) drive from tampa is Southern Hills Plantation (Pete Dye), rivals design with the elevation changes and the greens fair, true and fast,
you will also find the "country club" atmosphere, some of the members can be a little bit pretentious if you're a guest and they are missing greens in reg. but then again not everyone can play 7600yrds
[/quote]

I think my fears of pretentious country club attitudes would quell once I thought to myself [i]'yeah, but these people live in Brooksville[/i].'

RH