2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Another Airline (Delta) Golf Bag Horror Shows (w/ Pic)

[quote name='eppey' timestamp='1389911917' post='8473721']
[quote name='Pinhigolf' timestamp='1389902991' post='8472773']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1389745963' post='8461699']
This whole idea that hard shell cases are these massive things that you need a giant station wagon to drive around but soft sided bags are tiny is just absurd and not based on fact. I put my SKB case up against my brothers Last Bag on our last trip in November, its a complete wash, in fact my case is shorter than his and not as fat (he packs it with clothes and towels). Everyone says oh god, a hard shell case, they take up so much more room. But in reality they dont.

Club Glove last bag - 52 x 19 x 16
SKB Standard - 48 x 12 x 11

The Last Bag is a tank, it really is a great bag. But its not a small bag especially once it is packed full of stuff.
[/quote]

I have travelled with both types multiple times. I prefer the Club Glove just because once I get to my rental car I can take my clubs out, fold up the Club Glove and place it in the back of the trunk, stiff arm reduces to hardly anything then just lay my clubs in just like I was heading to the course at home. Lots of room for everything else.
[/quote]I am in this position as well. Had a hard side case and it find it impossible to travel with unless you had a mid size SUV or a mini van. Once you take the clubs out of the travel bag and fold it up you can travel in just about any car. The hard case on the other hand still has all the same dimensions whether the clubs are in it or not.

[b]There is no question that the hard case is going to offer better protection so as in most things in life, there is a trade off.[/b]
[/quote]

My trade off:
I have nowhere to store a hard case here (live in a condo) but I can fold my Sun Mountain Glider Meridian and and my wife's OGIO soft case to fit in our storage locker with other stuff at home.

My Glider that I think is terrific- and it really does "Glide" on the pullout support wheeled tripod- is for sure at least as bulky than the hard case loaded.

On our last trip I folded up her travel case inside mine, then folded again and that saved room at the rented condo. I can't see trying to keep two hard cases, golf clubs and suitcases in a hotel room or condo for more than a few days at best. Despite the possibility of theft, I wouldn't be storing travel bags in the trunk for several weeks in a hot climate. And I don't think our travel bags and our clubs would generally jam in the trunk even though we usually rent full-size, though I think we did manage it for a quick hotel shuffle in one model car a couple of years ago. (SUV upgrades I've always turned down as they never have had a cover to hide the goodies.)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1389755618' post='8462869']
I'm guessing you used a travel bag or did you just put the rain hood on and call it good??
[/quote]

This was my thought also since I never saw the OP state that a case was used after being asked a couple times. Two weeks ago I flew to Orlando (Disney World) and saw a couple golf bags come down the conveyor with just the rain hood on. I personally use the "Titleist small wheeled travel cover" and the padding is exceptional. I also used the Stiff Arm to protect the driver. No problems.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390415366' post='8509925']
Seriously? Just the rain hood? People really do that?
[/quote]

Unfortunately my father travels with his clubs this way. Even after I bought him a soft travel bag and a stiff arm. He doesn't like the added bulk once he gets to his destination. It doesn't help that he has traveled successfully this way for years. He won't learn until something breaks (bag, clubs, putter, etc). Each time he does this it is like rolling the dice... *cringe*

TM SIM Max 9* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SIM Ti 15* Oban Kiyoshi Purple

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

[quote name='kevch25' timestamp='1390417998' post='8510275']
[/quote]

Unfortunately my father travels with his clubs this way. Even after I bought him a soft travel bag and a stiff arm. He doesn't like the added bulk once he gets to his destination. It doesn't help that he has traveled successfully this way for years. He won't learn until something breaks (bag, clubs, putter, etc). Each time he does this it is like rolling the dice... *cringe*
[/quote]

Wow, I just can't even imagine that. Does he keep normal things like balls, tees, gloves in the bag. And if so, does that stuff ever disappear. Not even taken out, but like a zipper catching and opening up a pocket.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390420267' post='8510551']
[quote name='kevch25' timestamp='1390417998' post='8510275']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, I just can't even imagine that. Does he keep normal things like balls, tees, gloves in the bag. And if so, does that stuff ever disappear. Not even taken out, but like a zipper catching and opening up a pocket.
[/quote]

He literally travels as if he was going out to play 18 holes. Only difference is he zips up the rain hood and wraps a towel in there. Believe me, I've cautioned and warned him numerous times about the consequences.

TM SIM Max 9* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SIM Ti 15* Oban Kiyoshi Purple

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390410787' post='8509273']
I'm guessing you used a travel bag or did you just put the rain hood on and call it good??
[/quote]

This was my thought also since I never saw the OP state that a case was used after being asked a couple times. Two weeks ago I flew to Orlando (Disney World) and saw a couple golf bags come down the conveyor with just the rain hood on. I personally use the "Titleist small wheeled travel cover" and the padding is exceptional. I also used the Stiff Arm to protect the driver. No problems.
[/quote]

You must've missed the part where I said Bag Boy Soft Travel Case with a Stiff Arm.

[quote name='MrB121' timestamp='1390594669' post='8525047']
Anyone ship with FedEx? How are their prices versus checking your clubs at the airline?
[/quote]

I flew to Orlando two weeks ago on Southwest and the price for my clubs was $25 each way. Since I had a direct flight both ways it was convenient. I can't imagine FedEx or UPS being any cheaper than that.

[quote name='souledge' timestamp='1390540958' post='8521739']
[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390410787' post='8509273']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You must've missed the part where I said Bag Boy Soft Travel Case with a Stiff Arm.
[/quote]

Sorry for your bad fortune. It could have been helpful to state in your original post that a case was used.

Anyone ship with FedEx? How are their prices versus checking your clubs at the airline?
[/quote]I inquired with FedEx a couple years ago and they were about $65 each way. If they were somewhat more competitive with the airline bag fee of $25 each way I might consider it.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390612757' post='8526783']
[/quote]

I flew to Orlando two weeks ago on [b]Southwest [/b]and the price for my clubs was [b]$25 each way[/b]. Since I had a direct flight both ways it was convenient. I can't imagine FedEx or UPS being any cheaper than that.
[/quote]

Did you exceed the 50lb limit? Southwest doesn't charge for golf bags otherwise.

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1390614266' post='8526931']
[/quote]

I flew to Orlando two weeks ago on [b]Southwest [/b]and the price for my clubs was [b]$25 each way[/b]. Since I had a direct flight both ways it was convenient. I can't imagine FedEx or UPS being any cheaper than that.
[/quote]

Did you exceed the 50lb limit? Southwest doesn't charge for golf bags otherwise.
[/quote]

The first two bags are free. A golf bag has a length and weight limit according to Southwest so I had to pay. They weighed and measured my bag and said $25 please. Since it was so cheap I didn't argue. What I liked was when I got my bag in Orlando there was a tag on the case at the driver head end that said "this end fragile" (or something similar).

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390615746' post='8527067']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The first two bags are free. A golf bag has a length and weight limit according to Southwest so I had to pay. They weighed and measured my bag and said $25 please. Since it was so cheap I didn't argue. What I liked was when I got my bag in Orlando there was a tag on the case at the driver head end that said "this end fragile" (or something similar).
[/quote]I'm going to experience Southwest AL's to Orlando in mid feb. I'm carrying them in a BagBoy that i've had for some time now. Nice bag, but if they get rough with it, i'm sure bad things could happen. I like the soft bag style, because when not in use it folds up almost flat.

After seeing this thread, I have finally decided to buy a hard shell case. I would have an absolute melt down in the baggage claim if my clubs came out looking like OP's :(

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[/quote]

I flew to Orlando two weeks ago on Southwest and the price for my clubs was $25 each way. Since I had a direct flight both ways it was convenient. I can't imagine FedEx or UPS being any cheaper than that.
[/quote]

i wouldnt imagine them being any cheaper either just perhaps more professional in their care and easier to recoup losses if something were to happen.

however i see a few posts down where the fee is 65 each way... at an extra ~80 round trip, not sure its worth it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you bring two check in bags, in addition to the golf bag? As long as the golf bag is part of your two first bags, it's free.

Have flown all over the country with my clubs on Delta, US Airways, and United and haven't had an issue yet. I use a soft case, have never signed a waiver, and I have those individual plastic tubes that I stick in the bag for travel purposes and take the head off my driver. All luggage get thrown around. Don't leave delicate items in your bag. In my experience, clubs are always checked by TSA. And most airlines don't employ their own baggage handlers on the ground, they are airport staff. So blaming an airline is ludicrous.

It wouldn't take much to have your clubs bent like that in a soft case with zero sidewall protection. Aircraft cargo holds aren't exactly spacious and some people travel with heavy luggage. Items are stacked down there and can sometimes shift and fall onto others.

[quote name='theboypinoy' timestamp='1390679573' post='8530809']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you bring two check in bags, in addition to the golf bag? As long as the golf bag is part of your two first bags, it's free.
[/quote]

Wrong. As my previous post said there is a weight and size restriction. If the bag exceeds 50 pounds or 62 inches in total size (length plus width plus height) a charge applies.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1390680886' post='8530929']
Soft case = no payment by the airline.
[/quote]Yes, you are right, and there seem to be many posts debating the soft/hard case issue. For most people, I don't think it's the cost of one over the other, I just think it's a "size issue'' with the hard case. The soft case stows better before and after the clubs are out of it. I guess that's what you get insurance for, personal property damage.

Most of my travel with golf clubs is to the UK. The airports over there have a place in most terminals that let you store a big SKB hard case for a nominal charge per day. I always go straight from baggage claim to the Excess Baggage franchise and stow the hard case. Then it's just my suitcase and my carry bag full of clubs. Much, much easier to fit into a small rental car.

I wish they had that sort of service at USA airports.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390682204' post='8531051']
[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1390680886' post='8530929']
Soft case = no payment by the airline.
[/quote]Yes, you are right, and there seem to be many posts debating the soft/hard case issue. For most people, I don't think it's the cost of one over the other, I just think it's a "size issue'' with the hard case. The soft case stows better before and after the clubs are out of it. I guess that's what you get insurance for, personal property damage.
[/quote]

I've flown with my clubs for over 30 years and never had a damage issue. I've always used a soft case. I don't consider myself lucky as the airlines attempt to provide good service, and damaging customers luggage doesn't help. My previous soft case just wore out from age - main zipper stitches rotted, so I got a new one. I got the Titleist model as it had great padding throughout - much improved from the case it replaced. I believe the majority of pro's use the Club Glove case which is also a soft case. Assuming most (except the top tier guys with private jets) pro's fly commercial airlines this seems to say soft cases are OK for protection.

Careful packing, a quality soft case and a Stiff Arm (tm) or similar is a fine way to carry clubs. Careful packing, a sturdy hard case and a Stiff Arm is even more secure.

No matter what you do, the vast majority of the time you'll be OK. And no matter what you do one out of every so many times your stuff will get damaged or, worse yet, disappear altogether.

But ever since USAirways bent the shaft of my favorite putter a few years back I just stick with the hard case. No protection is absolute but that's pretty darned good protection.

this has been an informative thread--i always assumed that if the airline damaged my clubs, they would pay to replace them -- i had no idea they won't bother with soft cases, and i always thought guys with hard shell cases were dinosaurs! i just returned from a trip to texas on a delta flight, and the bottom of my travel bag had a gash about three inches long that you can stick fingers through....that bottom is crazy thick plastic, almost feels bullet-proof, yet they managed to make that big of a hole in it?