2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Another Airline (Delta) Golf Bag Horror Shows (w/ Pic)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pat007' timestamp='1393382696' post='8746338']
Again, no sympathy. Anything valuable? Put it in a hard case. Camera? Hard case. Golf Clubs? Hard case. Nuts? Jockstrap, not a tubesock!

C'mon man!
[/quote]

Not everyone has the room for a hard case. At home or where we will be staying. Some of us buy quality padded and foldable. C'mon man.

There is no question that hard cases protect golf clubs the best. I just got back from florida being part of a 4some and can't imagine having 4 hard cases, 4 full suitcases, and 4 carriy-ons in the suv we rented. We got off the plane, rented a car, and went right to the golf course. As much as hard cases better protect golf clubs, they are a pita by taking tooo much room. That's why the majority of golfers choose a quality soft bag.

After reading this entire thread, I do not believe anyone has pointed out the following...if you use a hard case (they weigh according to the spec sheet link provided in the thread earlier about 15-18lbs) thus if you are flying your clubs, balls, accessories assuming you pack them in the case will all need to come in under 32 pounds. Ok, so you are saying that is alot however I have clubs that are long and heavy (S5 Swingweight) and when I travel I take lots of extras such as rainsuit, shoes, extra balls, etc..etc... thus, while I am uncertain if I will have an issue with the 50lb limit at Delta without an extra fee it seems like a stretch for me...however I have been using the ClubGlove Golf Travel Bag for almost 20 years now and cannot recall any problems on Delta with my clubs during that time! I guess I am lucky! Oh, and I am frequently near the 50lb limit with the Soft SidedTravel Bag. I treat it like a suitcase and it seems to work well, there must be a reason early on before lots of endorsements that tour pros used these bags.... Just a thought, if you prefer hard cases that is great...just trying to suggest a different point of view. Please do not take my comments as negative on hard cases...simply for my situation the lighter soft sided bag continues to work well as I enter my third decade of use without any problems!

#TeamTitleist
#TCC
#FJA
#VokeyWedges
Insta: @Chris92009

After reading this thread and the other one on the TSA I was becoming paranoid about my trip to Florida this weekend. I looked into and seriously considered shipping the clubs to the hotel. For $114 (both ways) it almost seemed worth it. In the end I decided to save the money and roll the dice and just travel with my Club Glove like I usually do.

There have been some good ideas here, though, like cleaning the clubs to make sure there is no fertilizer on them that could be picked up as an explosive. That makes sense. I'm also removing the head from my driver.

Knock on wood, I've traveled a lot with this Club Glove and not had any issues, and I hope this trip is no different.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

Sure if you put a metric buttload of junk in there with your clubs you'll be over the airlines weight limit. Word of advice. Don't carry all the extra crap. Put your clubs (swingweight doesn't matter) in a normal golf bag, a dozen balls and a pair of shoes. Nowhere near 50 pounds in an SKB case, probably closer to 45. Stick a rain jacket and umbrella in there if you expect it to rain and you're still under 50.

I see people every time I fly pulling a ClubGlove behind them that must weigh 75 pounds and will hardly zip closed. I guess that's the same guys who take 10+ minutes to squeeze all their junk into a golf cart when they get to the course. You don't need all that to play golf.

Leave the Tour bag, the third pair of shoes, that fourth dozen of balls and those 15th, 16th and 17th clubs at home in the closet.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1393882295' post='8789664']
Sure if you put a metric buttload of junk in there with your clubs you'll be over the airlines weight limit. Word of advice. Don't carry all the extra crap. Put your clubs (swingweight doesn't matter) in a normal golf bag, a dozen balls and a pair of shoes. Nowhere near 50 pounds in an SKB case, probably closer to 45. Stick a rain jacket and umbrella in there if you expect it to rain and you're still under 50.

I see people every time I fly pulling a ClubGlove behind them that must weigh 75 pounds and will hardly zip closed. I guess that's the same guys who take 10+ minutes to squeeze all their junk into a golf cart when they get to the course. You don't need all that to play golf.

Leave the Tour bag, the third pair of shoes, that fourth dozen of balls and those 15th, 16th and 17th clubs at home in the closet.
[/quote]I think the 'simpler' you make your travel bag, the easier it gets through TSA. Imagine what a TSA agent has to go through if you have everything, and the kitchen sink, in the travel bag! Just got back from florida and a couple of us guys bought some golf shoes down there, and a couple others bought golf balls. Why pack all the stuff and make it hard on yourself. Here's another tip, maybe a little off subject, but I always hire limosine service to the airport. In our case it cost us about $70 each, and there's nothing like getting dropped off at the right airlines door, and picked up by somebody who is waiting for you when you get back. Stuff happens, but there are things you can do to make life (golf trips) easier!

On my trip to California last week, I had no issues with my clubs.

I packed them in my taylormade carry bag, a pair of FJ icons (size 13 for reference) my rain gear, a dozen balls, tees, etc and put it all into an SKB hard case. I was also carrying 16 clubs. It came in at 43 pounds on delta's scales. They came out completely unscathed. There were some gouges on the case, so i'm really glad I had the hard case vs a bag with a stiff arm.

The only problem was when TSA inspected my bag on the return trip and forgot to reseal my sunscreen. Can you say MESS!?

[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1394562432' post='8848743']
On my trip to California last week, I had no issues with my clubs.

I packed them in my taylormade carry bag, a pair of FJ icons (size 13 for reference) my rain gear, a dozen balls, tees, etc and put it all into an SKB hard case. I was also carrying 16 clubs. It came in at 43 pounds on delta's scales. They came out completely unscathed. There were some gouges on the case, so i'm really glad I had the hard case vs a bag with a stiff arm.

The only problem was when TSA inspected my bag on the return trip and forgot to reseal my sunscreen. Can you say MESS!?
[/quote]

I'm completely baffled why the f*cking TSA has to open any golf travel bag. Do they not x-ray the bags? What on earth are they seeing that they have to open my damn bag? On top of that, if they're going to open it, why the hell can't they put the crap back where it was, and close the bag properly? The TSA f*cks with my bag on roughly half my trips, and it's really pissing me off.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1394563437' post='8848895']
I'm completely baffled why the f*cking TSA has to open any golf travel bag. Do they not x-ray the bags? What on earth are they seeing that they have to open my damn bag? On top of that, if they're going to open it, why the hell can't they put the crap back where it was, and close the bag properly? The TSA f*cks with my bag on roughly half my trips, and it's really pissing me off.
[/quote]

The profanity isn't necessary. One biggy why it is opened ...looking for explosives from nitrate residual from fertilizer on golf courses. You might find this article of interest for that and other suggestions. Oh, and speaking to TSA with a "tude" up front would be another reason.
[url="http://newmexicogolfnews.com/unhappy-in-your-relationship-with-the-tsa-fix-it/"]http://newmexicogolf...the-tsa-fix-it/[/url]

[quote name='pat007' timestamp='1393704982' post='8772694']
Find someone's house you can leave it at?

I've never stayed in a hotel room where i didnt have a 1.5'x1.5' square of floor room to put my case on. And no, I don't stay at $800 hotels.
[/quote]

I think we get your point, what's that, 4 posts now in this thread about not having any sympathy? BTW, travelling with a soft travel bag is nothing like your analogy of leaving a car unlocked with the windows rolled down. If one takes the necessary / prudent steps to smartly pack a high quality soft sided travel bag, 99.9 times out of 100 everything will be fine. The fact is that a hard case travel bag can be a huge pain when space is an issue. I recently added my clubs to my homeowner's insurance as a rider. Really wasn't that difficult and costs very little.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I think every time I've traveled with my clubs since 9/11 I've found a TSA card in my SKB case upon arrival. I've never had anything stolen that I'm aware of; certainly nothing of any value. Even when I've stashed a bottle of nice wine in my golf bag several times it has arrived intact. However, I usually put my Bushnell rangefinder in my carryon -- no sense tempting anyone. I get much more worried leaving my clubs in my car than I do about flying with them.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1394666531' post='8858781']
Do you gentlemen prefer the SKB hard case or the Club Glove when traveling?
[/quote]

As others have noted, a hardcase can be a PITA when you have mutiple people traveling in one rental car, or have other luggage. Personally, I don't like leaving anyhting in the back seat that says "Hey, I'm a tourist, and there's something valuable in the trunk!". This includes sticking a hardshell case through the folded seat.

The Club Glove can be folded in half, and fits in the trunk of a full size car with the clubs, and another piece of luggage. With proper precautions (i.e. CG Stiff Arm, and remove driver head) the likelihood of a problem is minimal.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Hard case is a big PITA but why risk it? So now...you took your soft case and the airline screwed up your clubs and guess what...now to up the creek with no paddle and your golf trip is ruined...it might be a pain to have a hard case but I've flown from Florida to L.A. Twice now without a glitch because....I HAD A HARD CASE! if you don't have a hard case then ship your clubs fed ex...and when you still ship your clubs in a soft case and this happens...no sympathy.

I mean it's terrible that this happened to the OP and my heart goes out to his equipment that was trashed...but it's ruined and so was his golf he was going to play. Think smarter and plan ahead. Get a bigger rental.

[quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1394727606' post='8863215']
Hard case is a big PITA but why risk it? So now...you took your soft case and the airline screwed up your clubs and guess what...now to up the creek with no paddle and your golf trip is ruined...it might be a pain to have a hard case but I've flown from Florida to L.A. Twice now without a glitch because....I HAD A HARD CASE! if you don't have a hard case then ship your clubs fed ex...and when you still ship your clubs in a soft case and this happens...no sympathy.

I mean it's terrible that this happened to the OP and my heart goes out to his equipment that was trashed...but it's ruined and so was his golf he was going to play. Think smarter and plan ahead. Get a bigger rental.
[/quote]

Because I don't really think it's a risk. I've made over 50 trips with my Club Glove, and haven't had a problem. Yes, what happended to the OP was sad, but statistically, it's a blip. I would imagine that the airline losing the clubs is a more likely scenario than them trashing them, and they can lose hardcases as well as soft cases. Worst case, you can always rent clubs when you arrive.

[size=4]I used to work in customer service over at Club Glove so I'm very familiar with their product and failure rates. Damaged clubs are NOT an epidemic. I would say I received maybe three calls about damaged drivers. Think about how many of these bags are out there (lifetime warranty, produced since 1997, a leader in golf travel bags) and I only fielded THREE calls about damaged clubs over the course of 18 months and none of those customers were using a Stiff-Arm. [/size]

I will relay the one story I have of damaged equipment that was packed in a Last Bag accompanied with a Stiff Arm:

The guy had everything packed well and (from what we can tell) the bag must have been dragged down the tarmac. The bottom corner was completely gone, wheel was gone, base and material were completely melted through and the bottom of his cart bag was worn down like it was put against a belt sander... clubs were safe though!

Hard cases are great protection but [i]most[/i] people find them inconvenient. You can make a really dependable prophylactic out of stainless steel, but if you can't fit it in your wallet...

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1394739106' post='8864585']
Hard cases are great protection but [i]most[/i] people find them inconvenient. You can make a really dependable prophylactic out of stainless steel, but if you can't fit it in your wallet...
[/quote]

It really depends on the size required, no? :rofl:

I just did my first two flights with a Club Glove and it still looks brand new. Clubs inside all fine.

I used the stiff arm and bought four swimming noodles from Lowes at $1.98 each to use as extra protection running top to bottom around the bag. The noodles work great!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1394809820' post='8870177']
I just did my first two flights with a Club Glove and it still looks brand new. Clubs inside all fine.

I used the stiff arm and bought four swimming noodles from Lowes at $1.98 each to use as extra protection running top to bottom around the bag. The noodles work great!
[/quote]

Cool idea on the noodles. I have a Bakrol lumbar cushion kicking around from the days I had back problems. The last couple of trips I've put in the top sideways of my Sun Mountain Glider Meridian as an extra...it's fits perfectly.

[attachment=2118463:0014755_125.jpeg]

I've never had any issues travelling with my soft sided travel case and clubs. Mind you, most of my trips have been charters and direct flights so it really limits the handling. Only time I've had them in the States was leaving Fort Myers to Philly and Philly to Halifax, and I received them no issue. I agree with everybody who says the hard case is probably the best for protection, but like most say, if you live in a small place, or have a small car they're not practical. Although I do have room to store a hard case in my house, I prefer the soft sided one for travel, but that's just me. This thread has definitely opened my eyes a bit, but every luggage that you throw on the airplane is vulnerable in one way or another. Before I pack my travel bag I take everything out of my bag to make sure there's nothing that I didn't know about if searched. Usually a dozen balls, pair of shoes, my clubs etc. I will take the extra step this year to take my driver apart to make sure it's a little smaller and less vulnerable for sure this time around. I know some people have asked, but just from my experience, not once have they opened the bag up in front of me to check contents.

Flew down to California a few weeks ago and used my Club Glove Burstproof II with Stiff Arm. Everything was fine. I have had it since about 2007 and fly at least once per year, usually more, with it. Never had any issues. It is light, easy to pack and unpack, and a pleasure to travel with and store at both ends of the trip.
To each his own, but I don't see myself changing to a hard case any time in the future.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

One trick I did when I was traveling with a soft side travel case is I went to Walmart and bought one of those cheap $10 foam mattress tops. I cut it to the length of my travel cover and I wrapped it around my golf bag and put that whole combination in the travel cover and secured it with the internal straps. Worked liked a charm. Another layer of protection,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would never travel by air without a hard case golf bag. Using a soft case is opening the door for damage via airlines.

I have a SKB hard case. I agree it is too bulky, and I use it to store my fake Christmas tree in the attic now.

Later I bought a smaller profile, hard case bag combination. The hard case is the golf bag, with hard removable top. This smaller size is much easier to deal with rental cars, storage, and protect clubs with a hard case design.

Example: [url="http://www.amazon.com/CaddyDaddy-Co-Pilot-Standard-Edition-Hybrid/dp/B007OK8BAK/ref=sr_1_17?s=golf&ie=UTF8&qid=1409334956&sr=1-17&keywords=hard+bag+golf"]http://www.amazon.com/CaddyDaddy-Co-Pilot-Standard-Edition-Hybrid/dp/B007OK8BAK/ref=sr_1_17?s=golf&ie=UTF8&qid=1409334956&sr=1-17&keywords=hard+bag+golf[/url]

If the length is a problem in a car, you can always pop off the top cover too.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy