2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Another Airline (Delta) Golf Bag Horror Shows (w/ Pic)

[quote] i just returned from a trip to texas on a delta flight, and the bottom of my travel bag had a gash about three inches long that you can stick fingers through....that bottom is crazy thick plastic, almost feels bullet-proof, yet they managed to make that big of a hole in it? [/quote]
Amazing, you probably couldn't have done that yourself, even if you tried! I guess your travel bag was protected in the right spots, and accomplished it's purpose. I'm going to Orlando in a couple of weeks on Southwest Airlines, not only do I have concerns about my clubs, but whether we'll land at the right airport!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past summer I took my clubs on southwest from Houston to Columbus. Never had a fee. My bag was under 50 lbs. no one ever measured. And only once was I asked to sign a waiver.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

I'm sorry, I just don't have any sympathy for the OP. Want to protect your clubs? Use a hard case. Want to gamble? Use a soft case. T me, it's the same as leaving your car windows rolled down, doors unlocked and complaining you got your clubs stolen from the back seat.

I will NEVER travel without my SKB case. Period. I've got about $4000 worth of clubs in my bag, why cheap out on protection and price? It just doesn't make sense to me.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390754643' post='8536297']
[quote] i just returned from a trip to texas on a delta flight, and the bottom of my travel bag had a gash about three inches long that you can stick fingers through....that bottom is crazy thick plastic, almost feels bullet-proof, yet they managed to make that big of a hole in it? [/quote]
Amazing, you probably couldn't have done that yourself, even if you tried! I guess your travel bag was protected in the right spots, and accomplished it's purpose.[b] I'm going to Orlando in a couple of weeks on Southwest Airlines, not only do I have concerns about my clubs[/b], but whether we'll land at the right airport!
[/quote]

A quick search of Detroit CraigsList has your answer

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/4288743343.html

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1390791805' post='8540333']
Amazing, you probably couldn't have done that yourself, even if you tried! I guess your travel bag was protected in the right spots, and accomplished it's purpose.[b] I'm going to Orlando in a couple of weeks on Southwest Airlines, not only do I have concerns about my clubs[/b], but whether we'll land at the right airport!
[/quote]

[url="http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/4288743343.html"]http://detroit.craig...4288743343.html[/url]
[/quote]Man, that case is huge! All kidding aside, that looks like a great deal !

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390793894' post='8540593']
[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1390791805' post='8540333']
[/quote]

[url="http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/4288743343.html"]http://detroit.craig...4288743343.html[/url]
[/quote]Man, that case is huge!
[/quote]

Not really. I have the exact same one that holds my C-130 with ease and stays under 50 lbs. Most important though is I never have to worry about busted clubs. Had a 9" staff bag that also fit although a bit tight.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390681617' post='8531011']
[quote name='theboypinoy' timestamp='1390679573' post='8530809']
[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390615746' post='8527067']
[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1390614266' post='8526931']
[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390612757' post='8526783']
[quote name='MrB121' timestamp='1390594669' post='8525047']
Anyone ship with FedEx? How are their prices versus checking your clubs at the airline?
[/quote]

I flew to Orlando two weeks ago on [b]Southwest [/b]and the price for my clubs was [b]$25 each way[/b]. Since I had a direct flight both ways it was convenient. I can't imagine FedEx or UPS being any cheaper than that.
[/quote]

Did you exceed the 50lb limit? Southwest doesn't charge for golf bags otherwise.
[/quote]

The first two bags are free. A golf bag has a length and weight limit according to Southwest so I had to pay. They weighed and measured my bag and said $25 please. Since it was so cheap I didn't argue. What I liked was when I got my bag in Orlando there was a tag on the case at the driver head end that said "this end fragile" (or something similar).
[/quote]

Did you bring two check in bags, in addition to the golf bag? As long as the golf bag is part of your two first bags, it's free.
[/quote]

Wrong. As my previous post said there is a weight and size restriction. If the bag exceeds 50 pounds or 62 inches in total size (length plus width plus height) a charge applies.
[/quote]

Of course, I was assuming that it'd be under the weight restrictions, which wouldn't be too difficult. Size restriction I've never had a problem with. :)

Amazing, you probably couldn't have done that yourself, even if you tried! I guess your travel bag was protected in the right spots, and accomplished it's purpose. I'm going to Orlando in a couple of weeks on Southwest Airlines, not only do I have concerns about my clubs, but whether we'll land at the right airport!
[/quote]

I had multiple gashes more than 3 inches long on this particular travel bag.

when you travel with clubs (i never have) do they just check in the soft or hard case or do they open up and inspect the contents in front of you?

if they don't inspect prior to checking in, what is to stop someone from filling their case with a set of already damaged clubs and trying to stick the airline with the blame and get reimbursed? wouldn't be a lot of hassle to get $$ for expensive clubs.

I would assume this is why they won't give you much if you use a soft case and why they probably don't assume much liability regardless.....

[quote name='MrB121' timestamp='1390855709' post='8545053']
when you travel with clubs (i never have) do they just check in the soft or hard case or do they open up and inspect the contents in front of you?

if they don't inspect prior to checking in, what is to stop someone from filling their case with a set of already damaged clubs and trying to stick the airline with the blame and get reimbursed? wouldn't be a lot of hassle to get $$ for expensive clubs.

I would assume this is why they won't give you much if you use a soft case and why they probably don't assume much liability regardless.....
[/quote]

When I recently traveled I took some waxed cord and tied all the two-way zippers of my golf case together so they wouldn't accidently open (I stuffed 2 pair of golf shoes and some extra clothing in the case). When I picked up my clubs the string and knots looked untouched, so I guess security doesn't open the case unless they suspect something.

[quote name='pat007' timestamp='1390790337' post='8540179']
I'm sorry, I just don't have any sympathy for the OP. Want to protect your clubs? Use a hard case. Want to gamble? Use a soft case. T me, it's the same as leaving your car windows rolled down, doors unlocked and complaining you got your clubs stolen from the back seat.

I will NEVER travel without my SKB case. Period. I've got about $4000 worth of clubs in my bag, why cheap out on protection and price? It just doesn't make sense to me.
[/quote]

Glad you have room to store one at home. Not all of us do. I don't.

While I have what I consider to be the best non-hard case (Sun Mountain Glider Meridian) and use a Club Glove stiff arm, my extra nod for "protection" is a separate rider on my insurance.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390856510' post='8545167']

[/quote]

When I recently traveled I took some waxed cord and t[b]ied all the two-way zippers of my golf case together so they wouldn't accidently open[/b] (I stuffed 2 pair of golf shoes and some extra clothing in the case). When I picked up my clubs the string and knots looked untouched, so I guess security doesn't open the case unless they suspect something.
[/quote]

Puzzled. Are you saying you didn't put locks on your case? If so, I wonder why wouldn't you just put a TSA approved lock on each of those zippers to secure them. And so TSA could use their master key if they wanted to take a look? (Or hopefully use a key- I've had them break locks too.) My trips have been between US and Canada and several times I've had an "inspected by TSA" sticker inside my golf bag case and/or a suitcase. I've certainly seen TSA haul out clubs of EVERY golf travel bag behind the Allegiant check-in counter at an airport just accross the border- on more than one trip.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1390862092' post='8545889']
[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390856510' post='8545167']

[/quote]

When I recently traveled I took some waxed cord and t[b]ied all the two-way zippers of my golf case together so they wouldn't accidently open[/b] (I stuffed 2 pair of golf shoes and some extra clothing in the case). When I picked up my clubs the string and knots looked untouched, so I guess security doesn't open the case unless they suspect something.
[/quote]

Puzzled. Are you saying you didn't put locks on your case? If so, I wonder why wouldn't you just put a TSA approved lock on each of those zippers to secure them. And so TSA could use their master key if they wanted to take a look? (Or hopefully use a key- I've had them break locks too.) My trips have been between US and Canada and several times I've had an "inspected by TSA" sticker inside my golf bag case and/or a suitcase. I've certainly seen TSA haul out clubs of EVERY golf travel bag behind the Allegiant check-in counter at an airport just accross the border- on more than one trip.
[/quote]

Only the main zipper had eyelets to place a lock. All the other zippers didn't but were double zippers. I just ran a short piece of cord between the zippers to prevent them from opening. My logic was if security wanted in the case all it would take would be a quick snip with nail clippers or a knife. I wasn't aware of any master lock/key arrangement.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1390862834' post='8545955']
Only the main zipper had eyelets to place a lock. All the other zippers didn't but were double zippers. I just ran a short piece of cord between the zippers to prevent them from opening. My logic was if security wanted in the case all it would take would be a quick snip with nail clippers or a knife. I wasn't aware of any master lock/key arrangement.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

Re the number: TSA-approved locks available at any luggage dept etc. all have a number on them (mine all happen to be 007, though I don't travel in a tuxedo). TSA in theory would pull out their 007 master key to get inside without damaging the lock. I say in theory as there were a couple of times it looked like they just used a wrench or something and it was broken. As long as they are careful wen they get in, I have no prob with it. Never have had a problem with how they put back the clubs, though I may have just been very lucky.

By the way, I've also read in more than one place that a big reason they visually inspect clubs is because of fertilzer residue (i.e. a flag for potential bomb material) that can be picked up by sensors. While I l always clean my clubs, I usually give them a bit extra before they go flying with me for that reason.

That is disturbing. Sorry for your loss.

You may appreciate this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VhMgxIQ1Yg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VhMgxIQ1Yg[/url]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

They broke my hard case travel bag on my last flight. No clubs were damaged, luckily. It took about 4 weeks but the airline replaced my travel bag. Very lucky

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='luck box' timestamp='1390879768' post='8548193']
That is disturbing. Sorry for your loss.

You may appreciate this: [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VhMgxIQ1Yg[/media]
[/quote]

That reminded me of the musician 2 years ago that made headlines when the airline broke his custom guitar and denied all liability. The musician made this video and it became an internet hit. The airline then offered to replace the guitar if the musician would pull the video. The musician declined. The guitar company got so much free publicity from that video they gave the musician 2 free guitars. Happy ending. (I love it when the little guy wins).

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSUb6ejl9Ms[/media]

Man that's horrible, I've flown 4 times with my clubs and luckily I have a hard travel case and they have made it though fine. I doubt that's from mishandling of the workers, my guess is they put that in first and stacked luggage all over it. Man I'm sorry that happened to you, you should for sure buy a hard travel case. I bought one from academy sports for 100$. Hopefully they resolve the issue for you and at least give you the money you deserve, I know it won't offset what happened to your irons but I would push this issue up the chain if they are giving you the run around. Good luck

Question for the SKB and other hard case fans... what sort of rental car situation do you have when you land? Does it require a full-size SUV or mini-van once you're on the ground?

I'm going to Florida in a few weeks and I'm debating how to handle things. The retail cost of the SKB might end up being significantly cheaper than the rental car up-charge to go to a minivan vs. a standard car.

Basically you'll need a car with a rear seat that folds down to let you stick the case through from the trunk up into the rear seat area. Ideally one with a split-folding rear seat back that lets you fold down half the rear seat and stick the case through that side but still have a passenger or other luggage on the other half of the back seat. Of course if two people have golf clubs you'll need to fold down the entire rear seat most likely.

I almost always travel solo (occasionally with one other person) and I also almost always travel to the UK where you can leave extra luggage like a hard case at the airport. If you're traveling with three or more golfers I have no idea how to manage that whether hard case, soft case or whatever.

[quote name='JoeSchu' timestamp='1391011684' post='8557897']
Question for the SKB and other hard case fans... what sort of rental car situation do you have when you land? Does it require a full-size SUV or mini-van once you're on the ground?

I'm going to Florida in a few weeks and I'm debating how to handle things. The retail cost of the SKB might end up being significantly cheaper than the rental car up-charge to go to a minivan vs. a standard car.
[/quote]

Not an SKB, but mine is a very padded soft one just a tad bigger if it helps. I'd be surprised if you found a vehicle that would acommodate a hard case (48-50" long) and your luggage in the trunk, without doing the poke-through with a fold-down seat as Fourmyle has offered. But it's still not secure, and I'd never leave them parked that way even for a short time.

With two sets of clubs I just put mine sideways on the back seat and stack them. (Standard or full-size vehicle.) My soft case Meridian is 52", which is 2 inches longer than the SKB longest ones looking at their site, so that should work with the SKB too. You could check dimensions of the default vehicle of your rental company for your selected category for some comfort.

I never plan on mine being there other than straight to/from the airport for security. As I've posted in this or other similar threads IMO SUV (or mini-van since that is raised here) is a waste of money unless you can get one with a cover to hide the luggage and clubs. Anytime I've been offerred an upgrade to an SUV it doesn't have the cover.

[quote name='JoeSchu' timestamp='1391011684' post='8557897']

[/quote]

Went to Cali last September with clubs in my SKB. We rented a 4 door Hyundai Elantra and simply laid it across the back seat. The wife and I had 3 more checked bags and 2 carry ons. Almost bit on a bigger offering when we got there but opted to give the Hyundai a try first. All luggage in the trunk with room to spare. Multiple trips and never worry.

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1389724278' post='8459549']
[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1389718925' post='8458897']
[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1389712766' post='8458191']
YIKES...so baggage handler didn't like you. How you can bend shafts like that is beyond me...
[/quote]I wonder what precautions can be taken by the traveler to avoid such a problem. Probably not much except get a hard case. I alway like to get to the airport early, maybe the bag handlers don't feel so rushed in this case, but who knows? [b]The problem with hard cases is they have to open them up and check inside, and hopefully they secure them back up?[/b] Also, transporting a hard case in a car is more of a pita. [b]Can you imagine 4 hard case golf sets, plus all the other luggage into a rental?[/b] It's my 2nd set for me that's going in a soft case(w/ a bag boy) this winter to Orlando, I won't worry about my clubs that much, and I can still play well with them. That's why the good Lord gave us a 2nd set of golf clubs!
[/quote]

I think TSA pretty much opens all golf travel bags. My SKB has been opened each time and secured no problem.

I can't imagine 4 golf bags plus luggage in most rentals for a golf trip longer than 20 minutes. Probably require something larger anyway. The odds of all 4 having a hard case are low, but those with hard cases have higher odds of not going through what the OP suffered also.
[/quote]

I just bought an SKB for my trip next week. Are the locks on it TSA locks?

[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1391134600' post='8568844']
YIKES...so baggage handler didn't like you. How you can bend shafts like that is beyond me...
[/quote]I wonder what precautions can be taken by the traveler to avoid such a problem. Probably not much except get a hard case. I alway like to get to the airport early, maybe the bag handlers don't feel so rushed in this case, but who knows? [b]The problem with hard cases is they have to open them up and check inside, and hopefully they secure them back up?[/b] Also, transporting a hard case in a car is more of a pita. [b]Can you imagine 4 hard case golf sets, plus all the other luggage into a rental?[/b] It's my 2nd set for me that's going in a soft case(w/ a bag boy) this winter to Orlando, I won't worry about my clubs that much, and I can still play well with them. That's why the good Lord gave us a 2nd set of golf clubs!
[/quote]

I think TSA pretty much opens all golf travel bags. My SKB has been opened each time and secured no problem.

I can't imagine 4 golf bags plus luggage in most rentals for a golf trip longer than 20 minutes. Probably require something larger anyway. The odds of all 4 having a hard case are low, but those with hard cases have higher odds of not going through what the OP suffered also.
[/quote]

I just bought an SKB for my trip next week. [b]Are the locks on it TSA locks[/b]?
[/quote]

If you bought a new one it probably has the TSA locks shown here

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=71

I bought mine on CraigsList with the older locks so I can't lock it. Not a big deal though.

What a shame - I am very sorry for you.

I use a soft travelbag for years and never had a problem although I travel several times a year with my clubs (touch wood!).

I always stuff the travelbag with thick air bubble foil - the one for industrial use - so the clubs are fully cushioned.

On top of that I have a insurance for my clubs which includes every kind of theft of damage (including lightning, fire etc.),
covers not only clubs but also gloves, balls, tees etc. and guarantees the full amount of necessary replacement. Not so expensive,
so highly reccommended.

But in your case it is obvious that something went completely wrong. To bend all the clubs that way the impact was not a few pounds but a thousand pounds at least. Otherwise it is not possible to damage the clubs that way. This is really a shame.

I would be sick over that. Really sucks. Yes a hard case is a good thing to use, but it really is a sad depiction of the lack of work ethic in today's society that one is even needed. People really just don't care and show any respect to others property anymore

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1391187092' post='8571832']
[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1391134600' post='8568844']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I just bought an SKB for my trip next week. [b]Are the locks on it TSA locks[/b]?
[/quote]

If you bought a new one it probably has the TSA locks shown here

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=71

I bought mine on CraigsList with the older locks so I can't lock it. Not a big deal though.
[/quote]

Yeah I bought mine on Craigslist too. I'll just leave it unlocked.

Good point too FOC, last thing I want to do is get to Cali and not be able to use my clubs.