TaylorMade Burner TP

» SuperFast Technology reduces total club weight to 305 grams from average of 320 and promotes faster swing speed for added drive-crushing distance

» 1° open clubface alignment is pleasing to the skilled player's eye and promotes confidence and accuracy

» Classically shaped clubhead conveys a distinctively "TaylorMade Tour" appearance at address to boost confidence

» Massive 460 cc clubhead combined with TaylorMade's Inverted Cone Technology produces an extremely-high eMOI* that exceeds 5800 (USGA conforming)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only played one round with my 10.5 Burner TP but I was very impressed with the feel, sound and ball flight. Prior to get the Burner TP, I had looked at the regular version Burner at golf stores and it looked closed so I never gave it a second thought. The TP sets square to slightly open. The ball just seemed to go forever with a nice high flattening trajectory. I just replaced the stock GD Superfast Stiff shaft with a Fujikura Zcom TW64 X (same length) so we'll see how it performs with that shaft. The stock shaft was too soft for my 115 swing speed.

Titleist TSR2 9

Ping i425 14.5

Ping i230 3-PW La Golf L 120X

TM MG4 50/56/60

LAB 47” Mezz Max 

I'm a 1.1 index, and play competitive golf.

A Pro I play with just picked one up...didn't think I'd like it at all, but I just hit these high flat BOMBS with this driver.

9.5 w/ 50g reax shaft I believe.

I didn't think anything could kick the 905r out of my bag....but seriously this thing launches the ball like a rocket.

110-111mph swingspeed, and currently carry my 905r just around 265.

And with the Burner TP I've picked up almost another 10 yards of carry....and with a dare I say it...a better ball flight arc than my current 905r/speeder setup. (I didn't think it was possible)

I was surprised that I could control such a light shaft, and even with the added length I was getting dead center contact.

I could move the ball both directions easily...with a 5-10 yard fade/draw on command.

I'm pretty amazed.

Needless to say, going out again to test his driver again, and if it performs again as well....I'll be an owner of a new driver.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

First drive I ever hit with it.. 402yd. par 4, 3 yd. draw, dead center, 120 in. It's longer and more forgiving than the Superquad. I shafted mine up with a VS Proto 70-S. So far it's the longest and most accurate driver I've ever had in the bag. Ballflight is slightly higher with the Burner TP 9.5 VS-70S than with my Superquad 9.5* with Diamana Blueboard. Distance is looking like 5-8 yds. longer.

Played on the course and found this was not the setup for me.

When the pressure was on, that 50g shaft just didn't hold up to my swing.

(nor could I feel the head either)

Wanted to like this one, was willing to sacfrice feel if performace was superior....but it was neither, my 905r outperformed it under pressure.

So the 905r is staying in my bag....

Wanted to like this one, was willing to sacfrice feel if performace was superior....but it was neither, my 905r outperformed it under pressure.

You know, drivers don't always play to spec so if I were you I would try another one and maybe one with a different shaft. Try it with an Aldila VS Proto 70. I love that shaft and a lot of other people seem to really be enjoying it. Or if not that shaft try and stick a Diamana in there. Most stock shafts are not very good to begin with.

I bought a 10.5 loft with a fujikura superfast 50 gram tp re*ax shaft and the ball flight was good and the shape was straight to a slight draw , but with this shaft i seemed to lose about 15 yards or so compared to the R7 tp with a fujikura fit on 11 {six} regular flex shaft , instead of going thru the trouble of a expensive reshaft i sold the club but i believe with the right shaft the club would be a rocket ..

You know, drivers don't always play to spec so if I were you I would try another one and maybe one with a different shaft. Try it with an Aldila VS Proto 70. I love that shaft and a lot of other people seem to really be enjoying it. Or if not that shaft try and stick a Diamana in there. Most stock shafts are not very good to begin with.

Yeah I could stick a speeder in the head, but then I'll have the same setup I already have...just with a head that has no feel in comparison to the 905r. (that doesn't make sense!)

From my understanding the premis of the burner was superlight shaft/longer leangth w/ higher moi yielding more clubhead speed and longer drives without significant effect on dispersion....

For me the burner tp head has no feel...and for me the performance isn't there to justify a change in a setup I really like....still looks like it's gonna be really hard to get the 905r out of my hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Best driver I have ever hit/owned. Enough said.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

• 1 month later...

Anybody know the difference between a version 1 and 2 burner? I hit the driver tongiht with a Speeder 553 in it 46" and love it over my superquad. Just not sure what the difference is between the versions.

Titleist TSR2 8* Tensei Blue 55R

Callaway Paradym TD 15* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym TD 18* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym 21* 4H Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Ping I230 Orange 4-UW DG 105 R300

Vokey SM9 Black 54-10S 

Vokey SM8 Black 58-8M
Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 35"

finally got to demo one today with the 9.5 65 reax shaft in it and i liked it alot(only thing i didnt like was it flew the ball too low for what i like as trajectory) , i bombed two that definitely felt sweeeet, i think i need a 10.5 with a lower kick shaft in it for a higher launch)

will let u know soon onces i get the right combo for me , currently i like it better than my callaway only because it doesnt have the hook face and i feel like i may be able to actually hit a cut shot if needed with it, lol something that is not going to happen with the callaway, but dont get me wrong the callaway isnt a hooking club just if u over swing it it has those tendencies)

madi05

I tried 5 drivers. The Burner, Burner TP, Superquad, Ping G10

I selected the Burner TP 10.5 stiff TP Reax 65g shaft......sets up square, ball speed off the face was the highest, went the straigtest and sounded solid. It also gave me the lowest spin which I needed.

The Superquad gave me very similar results but the numbers looked slightly better on the Burner TP. I orginally thought I would not like the graphics but as others have said, they tend to disappear.

This driver is long and straight...exactly what I wanted.

Just picked me one up with the fujikura tour platform stiff 27.3, and all i can say is this shaft and head combo works for me, i was hitting a cut shot on demand , which is something i havent been able to do all year, lol i know i only played one round with it but if it continues to perform like it did today then it will be my gamer for sure

i read many say the shaft is soft but i found that if i jumped on it all i got was more distance, lol my swing speed is usually around 110 and im not smooth tempo, i think im too whippy but it is ok with this shaft for me , after reading about it i was already thinking i would be changing my shaft but not a chance so far

i did test the 65 grams reax and i hit it low for some reason , and the v2 felt nice in the demo but i think i prefer this one so far , we will see after the weekend, lol

thanks

madi05

update: i think people are correct with the shaft, if i stepped on it now after hitting a few rounds it tending to draw too much on me, but if i put the cut shot on it it performed well, i have one now with the v2 stiff shaft will let u know soon as i test it out over a couple rounds this weekend ok

joe

Anybody know the difference between a version 1 and 2 burner? I hit the driver tongiht with a Speeder 553 in it 46" and love it over my superquad. Just not sure what the difference is between the versions.

I think ver 1 is slightly lower spin, and ver 2 is the retail version available now. Both are solid.

I have a 10.5 Burner TP with the factory installed 65g shaft. Absolutely love this club. The 65g shaft allows for a 45" shaft instead of the 45/75" shaft with a 50g shaft. Great and consistent distance. It's easy to hit a gentle draw, or if your protecting the left side....a fade. If you put a semi-consistent swing on this driver, you'll get very consistent results. My swing speed is 99 to 104. I am impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

update: just installed a ust v2 stiff in this baby and just got home, let me tell u , i was hitting the longest drives ever this year and no hook, can u believe it , no hook, so to say the least im happy about this combo for this round anyway, lol i hit one about 305 today on a hole the best i have ever done was maybe 290 , and i havent done this ever at this course i have been a member at for almost 3 years , i made 3 birdies out of the 4 par 5's here and two were gimmies cause this driver shaft combo allowed me to hit my ideas pro 4 iron into the green roughly a 200 shot for me

thanks for reading my rant and happiness, lol

madi05

HI, i think u can order it with it in it but i think u can save more money these days by doing it yourself , if u pick up the club at a good price anyways, if u dont have that option near u i would gladly install one for u , i do it as a hobby now but i used to do it for a living , lol pm me with any other questions, i have a epic coming and a vs proto and i am going to try it out in those to but they will have to be good to beat the v2 imo , lol

madi05

What is it with Drivers....................

I have a 9.5* Burner TP (retail) and after fitting a Graffoloy Blue in it was hitting it awesome, last few rounds it has gone a little off. Not left and right but up and down................. :clapping: , flight pattern is not behaving. A couple of friends have tried this club and yep you know they have now taken there money out and splashed the cash.

I play mine at 45" s/weight with this shaft D3....................When you catch hold of this club it is as long as the FT5 i was using just feels better, plenty of forgiveness and frames the ball nice.

But so much grief finding the right shaft..................... :crazy:

Great club though.

• 1 month later...

Went from a 905R and 907D2 to this and wow. Picked up another 10-12 yards with the same length shafts in all 3 (44.75), with a tighter dispersion. Nice mid-high trajectory with the stock GD shaft (X) and a good flat downrange trajectory. Wonderful sound at impact, only complant would be I wish it had a little more feel to it like the Titleists but overall a much better club. Can't wait to get the right shaft in it.

Best driver out there for me....love the 1 degree open, 9.5 with the stock 65gram by Graphite Design worked great...beat out the SuperQuad, Cleveland, and Callys by a mile (on the launch monitor at a professional fitting). Just the right combo for me, that's all, in terms of spin and launch angle. Feels real good too, and there's just so much surface area to hit off of you get plenty of confidence stepping up to the ball! Yep, just plain bombs. There's a reason the Burner's #1 right now!

• 1 month later...

i have had this driver since about the middle of April and it is the best i've ever hit. i got the 9.5 with the 65 gram Graphite Design stock shaft. did not want the Fuji 50 gram shaft. love this driver. this will definitely stay in the bag for atleast 6 years. scott c.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9 Degree set to 10 Degree
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 Wood

Callaway Rogue ST LS 5 Wood
Callaway Ai Smoke 4 and 5 Hybrid (used as 3 and 4), or Adams A7 4 and 5 Hybrid 
Callaway Apex CB 2024 5-PW Aerotech SteelFiber i110
Callaway Jaws Raw Black Plasma 52 and 56
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
TaylorMade TP5X or Callaway Chrome Tour X or Bridgestone X

I love the look of this head and I am drooling to get my hands on one. I was fit on a monitor and 8.5 degree works best, but the best shafts were the Aldila ProtoPype 70 X and Diamana Blueboard 83x.

Any advice/ recommendations for a more affordable shaft?

My ave. SS for smooth swings is 115 and I get 125 plus when I lean on it.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

the taylormade burner tp is the hottest driver i have hit in years ! great ball flight,

wonderful feel .just can't decide on which flex of the stock mitsubishi rayon i want.

have all ready paid for driver and have only hit the s 65 gram shaft usually have x flex in my driver but like i said before this feels great ,guess i will just keep hitting the demo