2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Smoking on the course?

Hello my name is Ray, and I, I am a smoker...(this is where you all say "hi Ray")

On to the point, here in Ohio, it seems as if everyone has quit smoking and for many, frown upon those that still do. Which neither bother me as I am a supporter of free will and the great USA way!

I usually golf with friends,most of whom do not smoke, and they don't seem to be bothered by it. But occasionally I will book a tee time as a solo, and get paired with strangers. If I am in a cart by myself I light up at will. If I am carted with someone I always ask if they mind if I a smoke while riding with them. Mostly the answer is no. But if the players I am with know one another, I often here them whispering or talking about smoking amongst one another. Obviously this is more than likely provoked by my smoking.

My question to my fellow WRX'ers is... how do you feel about tobacco smoking on the course. How would you feel if you were in my group and this matter was handled as stated above. And should I even mind if they care.

Now keep in mind. I try to be considerate of all, especially mother nature. I have a "pocket ash tray" I keep in my bag for my butts. So I don't just throw them anywhere.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ray "the smoker"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.
I smoke cigars.
You are welcome to ride with me.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I am not a smoker, never have been a smoker and as I am 40+ now I can't imagine I ever will be a smoker, but i say...

[size=5][b]Smoke em if you got em,[/b][/size] then take care of the butt (don't toss it on the course).

I walk almost all my rounds and I am not too precise to think a bit of second hand smoke while outdoors is going to hurt me. Walking with a smoker is a bit different then riding with one.

If we are riding in a cart and you had a couple of cigarettes during a round I would not care. If you chain smoked I might be annoyed.

You poor smokers seem to getting banned from smoking everywhere. I am not a fan of smoking, but your type does deserve to have [i]some[/i] rights.

[quote name='jdw2920' timestamp='1404866501' post='9662975']
The smell of smoke on your clothes is hard to wash out separate carts is your decision but others are probably saying it doesn't bother them to only be polite hoping to avoid awkwardness
[/quote]

I agree, if its seems if they are just trying to be polite. I will usually tell them to drive and I will walk while I smoke. But then that opens another can of worms... they feel bad, which I ensure them not to. I wish it was the days of "mad me" when the guy cooking ur steak had a smoke rolling... ok maybe not that extreme but you old timers get what I'm saying.

I smoke and people I play with know it.

I always take care of my cigarettes btw. Never toss them on the course. I empty out the tobacco in the grass, stomp out the cherry and place the filter in my back left pocket or cart till I get to next tee box with a garbage can.

Now if I'm riding solo and join up with someone on the course and they want a ride in my cart I'm smoking. If I play with someone who it bothers and we shared a cart I don't smoke in cart. Will wait till end of whatever hole I am on when I need one and walk to next tee box.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

I loved smoking on the course. I loved smoking in general. All my friends smoke on the course. one night I couldn't breath and was wheezing and felt like crap. The next day I stopped smoking and haven't had one since. That was 3 years ago....

I don't care if people smoke around me or if they were in a cart no problem.

I smoke 2 cigars every round, my foursome has 2 cigarette smokers and they are chain smokers on the course but it doesnt bother me. They are like that because their wives don't allow them to smoke cigarettes, only cigars...where is the logic in that! haha

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

[quote name='Edaw68' timestamp='1404869034' post='9663277']
Smoking is fine if you are polite about it. Don't blow smoke near me, clean up your butts.

DON'T ASH ON THE GREENS!

Leaving ash on the greens should be an automatic ejection from the course, no questions, no appeals.
[/quote]

Completely agree. All golfers should live by "leave the course in better shape than you found it."

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1404869151' post='9663297']
Waiting for our Colorado and Washington members
[/quote]
Ha ha, I was at my course one day and I hear a big crash from the next tee box. Look up and see the foursome ahead has managed to crash their carts together. My group plays through, and as I drive past them I smell why they crashed the carts together....

I don't care if someone smokes but it does bother me if I smell the smoke. I wouldn't care if you were in you own cart smoking and riding or walking as long as you didn't bring it with you to the tee box, green or around me. I wouldn't like you smoking and us being in the same cart.
A friend of mine actually suffers around smoke. His eyes water really bad, he starts coughing and he claims it bothers his breathing. Recently we were paired up with two guys waiting on the first tee for us. They both were smoking cigars. There wasn't any breeze so the smoke lingered around the tee. My friend was getting his little eye towel out to wipe his eyes so I told the starter we couldn't play with these guys unless they stopped smoking. The starter told us we had to be paired up. I said fine pair us up with two no smokers. We eventually went out as a twosome.
I don't care if golf courses allow smoking but they do need to realize not everyone wants to be around it so they need to understand that when pairing someone up.

A lot of my friends smoke cigarettes (and more) regularly. I dont really mind, as long as it isn't being blown at me and it isn't holding up play. The "where's my lighter" and other BS wears on me really quickly. Other than that and littering, I dont really care. Its their lives.

On a side note, I find cigar smoke absolutely repugnant. It drives me crazy when a guy from another group is just puffing away near my group with no regard for anybody else.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

The where your allowed to smoke in public and not caring what others thinks is inconsiderate for the people that don't want to smell like smoke they have the same right not to be around smoke as you do to smoke. Many golfers have kids and having smoke on them to take home to their kids can make them sick or even trigger asthma attack.

[quote name='UofU02' timestamp='1404908896' post='9665381']
I'd rather you smoke and pick up after yourself than chew sunflower seeds and leave them all over the tees and greens.

Feel free to kill yourself slowly in my group.
[/quote]

Thanks and I agree about the seeds. But the killing youself slowly could be said about almost everything we partake in now and days... booze, going out in the sun, eating food, ect. so to that I say, we are all going to die, and I would rather live life than die regretfully. Which no one but yourself can decide is right for you.

[quote name='jdw2920' timestamp='1404906161' post='9665169']
The where your allowed to smoke in public and not caring what others thinks is inconsiderate for the people that don't want to smell like smoke they have the same right not to be around smoke as you do to smoke. Many golfers have kids and having smoke on them to take home to their kids can make them sick or even trigger asthma attack.
[/quote]

Come on now, were talking second hand while outside for 4 hours with the wind blowing. Nobody has ever gotten their kids sick from riding in a cart with a smoker.

I light up on the tee so I'm never taking it to the green with me, don't want ash on the green and its easier to forget you tossed it down next to the green and leave a butt. I like to do a perimeter check before lighting up the other stuff, man is that smoke visible for a long ways compared to cigs. If I'm paired with a random I ask about both and respect his wishes. I'd probably still pop into the woods a few times on my own though.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

If someone is inclined to smoke in the cart I am in, I will be inclined to walk until the cigarette is finished. I used to smoke, too. I hate the smell of it. I can say this though, I have only seen a few people be responsible with their butts. My father will 'flick' out end of the tobacco near the filter (never on the green though) and then put the filter in his back pocket. Most of the people that smoke throw their butts on the course.... along with the sunflower seed people it's quite, well, nasty.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1404909459' post='9665431']
[quote name='jdw2920' timestamp='1404906161' post='9665169']
[/quote]

Come on now, were talking second hand while outside for 4 hours with the wind blowing. Nobody has ever gotten their kids sick from riding in a cart with a smoker.

I light up on the tee so I'm never taking it to the green with me, don't want ash on the green and its easier to forget you tossed it down next to the green and leave a butt. I like to do a perimeter check before lighting up the other stuff, man is that smoke visible for a long ways compared to cigs. If I'm paired with a random I ask about both and respect his wishes. I'd probably still pop into the woods a few times on my own though.
[/quote]

The science on 2nd hand smoke is very flimsy in general...outdoors, the "risk" doesn't even exist.

The 2nd hand smoke craze was a convenient way to bend science to ban an activity (in places) that was losing popularity and many people find gross. It also is terribly unsafe for the smoker, but we don't have many examples of restricting people's ability to harm themselves.

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

[quote name='CLCcaddy' timestamp='1404909316' post='9665409']
[quote name='UofU02' timestamp='1404908896' post='9665381']
I'd rather you smoke and pick up after yourself than chew sunflower seeds and leave them all over the tees and greens.

Feel free to kill yourself slowly in my group.
[/quote]

Thanks and I agree about the seeds. But the killing youself slowly could be said about almost everything we partake in now and days... booze, going out in the sun, eating food, ect. so to that I say, we are all going to die, and I would rather live life than die regretfully. Which no one but yourself can decide is right for you.
[/quote]

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be offensive or a moral stance. That is the way several of the guys I play with (some of whom smoke or chew) refer to tobacco use. "After that shot I'll just be over here killing myself slowly with this cigarette." It is tough to translate tone on the interwebs.

I love to smoke a few cigs when I play. Other than on the course, I rarely light up.

I am always conscious of how my smoking may affect others and try to keep the smoke as far as possible from other in my group. I also put the cig out and place the butt somewhere in the cart until I am near a trash receptacle.

A few of the guys I play with are also smokers so its usually a non-issue.

As another mentioned, I hate finding cigarette butts all over the course and sunflower seed shells on the greens. On the green?? Really?? So disrespectful.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime