2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Shortest hitters on Tour and whats the carry distance?

nic19

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour stats are very misleading because the fairways are trampolines. Best example ken duke

Ive played with him in smaller events prior to him being on tour. Guy is a modern day trevino. Low bullet cuts. Barely carries his driver 250 yet is averaging 280 on tour. The #s arent always a good gauge

That's why my link is carry distance not driving distance, here's 2016 http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02409.2016.html

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Tour stats are very misleading because the fairways are trampolines. Best example ken duke

Ive played with him in smaller events prior to him being on tour. Guy is a modern day trevino. Low bullet cuts. Barely carries his driver 250 yet is averaging 280 on tour. The #s arent always a good gauge

They are misleading for sure.

Geez, based on this thread and the mini tour thread we all just need to get on tour and we'd make every putt and average 3 bills or so off the tee. Shoot 65 too I guess. I see plenty of weeks, like at Riviera last week, where it's all carry.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Geez, based on this thread and the mini tour thread we all just need to get on tour and we'd make every putt and average 3 bills or so off the tee. Shoot 65 too I guess. I see plenty of weeks, like at Riviera last week, where it's all carry.

I hear what youre saying but in raw distance youd be surprised how short some of these guys are which shows you how well they score and their other aspects of their game are awesome to maintain status, cards and even win regularly.

My buddy was partnered with steve stricker back in 2010 in a practice round at riviera and was flying it 35 yards past him. It didnt matter though because my buddy missed the cut and Stricker won. He said and i quote hes the straightest player hes ever seen and putts lights out. Stricker shot 62 in the practice round hitting 2-3 extra clubs into the greens. his mid iron/long iron game was insane

That's why my link is carry distance not driving distance, here's 2016 http://www.pgatour.c...02409.2016.html

Yes thanks I saw it thats why i was giggling at the total yardage not carry. Not many people getting 30-45 yards of roll at their home courses

use ball speed, it doesn't lie. They love nothing more than soft fairways that don't roll. Brian Gay can still get 160 ball speed which optimally gives him a 270 carry. Ken Duke averaging 162 Ball speed, so his little cut is carrying 270+. His max 167 ballspeed is a 280+ carry.

short hitting Steve Stricker averages 164 ball speed, another 275 CARRY average.

Only a very small percentage get ballspeed over 177. The vast majority are in the 162-170 range. Lot's of major winners don't average 267 ball speed.

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02402.2016.html

http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

the shortest hitters can still carry it 270+

Toms is about as short as it gets on Tour. He averages around 275 total distance on those airport runways. Carry distance 245-250.

Should be good on the senior tour then. The other thread says their courses are only 6600 yards. :) He averaged a 253.4 carry last year. 269.7 total. That's 16.3 yards of roll average. I would bet we all get the same. 60 players averaged over 280 carry last year. FWIW.

Driving distance is such a misleading stat on the PGA Tour, due to how the fairways are manicured to get roll-out distance.

Ive heard Strick comment before that he carries 275-280 with his driver pretty comfortably. And he's considered a "short" hitter. But these Tour guys make a big, big deal about getting 10 extra yards.

use ball speed, it doesn't lie. They love nothing more than soft fairways that don't roll. Brian Gay can still get 160 ball speed which optimally gives him a 270 carry. Ken Duke averaging 162 Ball speed, so his little cut is carrying 270+. His max 167 ballspeed is a 280+ carry.

short hitting Steve Stricker averages 164 ball speed, another 275 CARRY average.

Only a very small percentage get ballspeed over 177. The vast majority are in the 162-170 range. Lot's of major winners don't average 267 ball speed.

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02402.2016.html

http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Tour AVERAGE carry distance with driver is 270. That means for every Dustin Johnson, there's a guy bunting it out there 245. No, not every Tour pro carries it 270+. Toms for example is 104 swing speed. Under sea level conditions that's a 245-250 carry, and there's quite a few guys in that same range with average driver ball speeds in the 150's. It's pretty common knowledge as well that most of these guys are not close to "optimal" on their launch numbers. Most hit it much lower and use the conditions they play under, which is trampoline fairways to get that 30-40 yards of roll.

http://www.pgatour.c...02402.2016.html

http://flightscope.c...tory-optimizer/

Tour AVERAGE carry distance with driver is 270. That means for every Dustin Johnson, there's a guy bunting it out there 245. No, not every Tour pro carries it 270+. Toms for example is 104 swing speed. Under sea level conditions that's a 245-250 carry, and there's quite a few guys in that same range with average driver ball speeds in the 150's. It's pretty common knowledge as well that most of these guys are not close to "optimal" on their launch numbers. Most hit it much lower and use the conditions they play under, which is trampoline fairways to get that 30-40 yards of roll.

2016 stats 123 players average 270-304. 60 guys average 248-270 with 50 of them over 260. I am not doing the math but that is well over a 270 average for the tour. Unless you have more info available than PGA tour stats? The carry numbers on the tour site are a bit "incomplete" as less than one drive a round is measured on radar.

2016 stats 123 players average 270-304. 60 guys average 248-270 with 50 of them over 260. I am not doing the math but that is well over a 270 average for the tour. Unless you have more info available than PGA tour stats? The carry numbers on the tour site are a bit "incomplete" as less than one drive a round is measured on radar.

I'm with you. The numbers don't add up to a carry average of 270.

Looking at 2017 numbers so far.

149 players average 270 or more.

65 players average less than 270.

There are 7 players averaging 300+ carry and only 4 averaging less than 250.

There are 77 players who average 280+ carry or 10 yards above the stated average.

There are only 21 players who average less than 260 or 10 yards below the stated average.

There are 214 players listed for 2017.

The gap for the bottom 5 players, from 209 to 214, is 24.8 yards of carry.

If you start at #1 and go down that same 24.8 yards, you will go down to #58.

Again, nothing about those numbers add up to an average carry of only 270 yards.

Just copy and paste into excel the mean carry in 2016 was 275.57

Curious what the average carry was according to your excel spreadsheet.

275.57 50981/185

Ball speed doesn't lie. If they are hitting it lower and getting "trampoline fairways" to get roll then that IS optimizing launch... Just how much trampoline were they getting in San Diego? Or yesterday? So much LOL going on here.

Keep convincing yourself it's the fairways. Every guy on that list can carry it further than their longest drive on that list if they want. They are better than you think. And longer. Much much longer.

What would be interesting is getting an elevation/ temperature breakdown of a few of the guys.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

I hear what youre saying but in raw distance youd be surprised how short some of these guys are which shows you how well they score and their other aspects of their game are awesome to maintain status, cards and even win regularly.

My buddy was partnered with steve stricker back in 2010 in a practice round at riviera and was flying it 35 yards past him. It didnt matter though because my buddy missed the cut and Stricker won. He said and i quote hes the straightest player hes ever seen and putts lights out. Stricker shot 62 in the practice round hitting 2-3 extra clubs into the greens. his mid iron/long iron game was insane

I follow Stricker on Shotlink. Two things stand out: His ability to hit a drive over 300 if the hole calls for it. And, his putting misses are almost always 1-2 feet past the hole.

I follow Stricker on Shotlink. Two things stand out: His ability to hit a drive over 300 if the hole calls for it. And, his putting misses are almost always 1-2 feet past the hole.

It does seem like the recurring theme on these type of threads is that the ams think that their "good" hit is their average and that the pros average is as far as they "can" hit it.

Driving distance (total) will always be a misleading stat. A number of the courses with "trampoline" fairways have rough that will kill a shot as soon as it hits. So if you happen to miss the fairway by 5 yards on a certain hole, you could end up 30+ yards less just by hitting it 5 yards off. Not a lot of the bombers are up there in driving accuracy, leading me to believe that their "average" total driving distance is actually much shorter than their potential (hence the trackman numbers we always see that seem longer than usual).

A good part of driving distance comes from hitting the ball in the center of the face, which most ams do far less often than the pros. Also, a number of these long hitters are using less than driver off the tee on certain holes where the short hitters stick with driver. I saw Kevin Na post on Instagram today that he "bombed" a drive with his driver that just rolled past DJ's 2-iron! It's always a matter of perspective and except for the longest courses, you don't need driver on all the holes... and the guys who do have the accuracy to do it. The worst combo is obviously short AND inaccurate. You can be long and inaccurate and get away with it by having a shorter iron approach from the rough, but short and inaccurate and you're left with a long iron approach from the rough